Pandora: The World Of Avatar - A Somewhat Letdown?

a goofy username

back when avatar first released in '09 i remember hearing a lot of people throw around the term 'post-avatar depression' - basically, growing despondent over the fact that pandora would never be a reality. i'm really really not a fan of the movie at all but i mean, it's cool that this area is providing some sort of potential wish fulfillment. i haven't been yet but it looks nice (does that floating rock structure use forced perspective like the castle? it looks small ngl) and honestly, it's better than camp minnie-mickey (although i'll miss cmm in an "aw, i was there a few times and now it's gone" kind of way)

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
To unbeknowst guest they will say it's is impressive....Where as a Disney Fan will say...It's Living With The Land: Pandora.

If only. Living With The Land: Pandora would have multiple AAs, an 18min ride duration and edutainment thru narration on the spiritual energy that feeds the land and how the Na'vi coexist with the native species and flora.

NeedMoreMickey

I didn't care for the movie and I'm not a fan of movies in general. Haven't seen most of the Disney movies but I still LOVE going to the parks so I am looking forward to seein the new land. Not a rush no problem waiting until March 2018

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
I knew someone would say that, and yes, indeed it is.

But having a very basic positive reaction is different than completely bashing and criticizing something before you've visited. Perhaps you disagree, perhaps I'm being a slight hypocrite, but I think there's a big difference.

First of all, I did use critisism, but I never stated that I hate Pandora - I said some aspects disappointed me, but it still looks cool nonetheless. The customizable merchandise, the nature and attractions like Flight Of Passage DO make me want to go there. Also, your "My opinion's OK because it's positive" argument is pretty flat. You stating an opinion is fine, but saying that I hate Pandora when I don't isn't.

BigRedDad

I have not seen Pandora other than a 3-set 360 photo. At the end of the day, it is just going to be another basic land. Yes, it is new. The concepts and imagineering outside is great. Boiling it down though you have....

Na'vi River: Glorified IASW and PotC. It simply has a few new technology additions. However, it is still a slow boat ride.

FoW: It is a flight simulator. Soarin, Star Tours do that already. In the end, it is existing attractions with a Pandora feel.

I was concerned about this as well. I am a huge fan of Avatar. I will enjoy being there in a few weeks. However, it will be as disappointing as the FL expansion. It's just regurgitated stuff that already exists. A basic, short roller coaster, a building to tell stories, Nemo ride converted to Little Mermaid. The BOG is the only really remarkable thing that came out of it. Forbidden Journey at US was a great new innovation. Soarin was a great new innovation.

BigRedDad

"I have not been but it's going to suck" :bored:
Never said it will suck. I am just stating that there is nothing new there. It is a rinse and repeat of what has already been done. If they took out all of the stuff from IASW and put Na'vi, some purple lights, neon paint.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I have not seen Pandora other than a 3-set 360 photo. At the end of the day, it is just going to be another basic land. Yes, it is new. The concepts and imagineering outside is great. Boiling it down though you have....

Na'vi River: Glorified IASW and PotC. It simply has a few new technology additions. However, it is still a slow boat ride.

FoW: It is a flight simulator. Soarin, Star Tours do that already. In the end, it is existing attractions with a Pandora feel.

I was concerned about this as well. I am a huge fan of Avatar. I will enjoy being there in a few weeks. However, it will be as disappointing as the FL expansion. It's just regurgitated stuff that already exists. A basic, short roller coaster, a building to tell stories, Nemo ride converted to Little Mermaid. The BOG is the only really remarkable thing that came out of it. Forbidden Journey at US was a great new innovation. Soarin was a great new innovation.
Well, I heard the food is pretty good.

disneygeek90

I'm not a huge fan of Universal Studios, but I will be fair: Isn't Flight Of Passage Soarin' on a bench? It looks cool, but it's not a relatively new ride system.
Not really. FJ is a track based ride with screens. FoP is not on a track, but relies heavily on enhanced simulation effects and scents that FJ does not have. FoP gives you a much better feeling of actually flying, imo.

Seabasealpha1

If you think the land's a letdown, wait until they finish those sequels! (sometime in the 2050's after we finally land or Mars..)

(Kidding)

I dunno...I think these (if anything) are probably best experienced in person...and I'll give them that benefit of the doubt until I see them personally...I do feel a tinge of disappointment...but I dunno if it's my own yet...

I mean...come on...it can't suck as bad as that Antarctica mess over at SeaWorld right? (and it had all this hype too!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom