Overrated Disney

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by JungleJim
I really think Fantasmic is overrated. It's almost as bad as the show that was in front of the EPCOT fountian. I think it was silly to watch water jumping to music.

Then don't go !!!!
Thankfully different people have different tastes. Personally I think that Fantasmic is brilliant.

RobFL

Account Suspended
I like the Epcot fountain :( Maybe because I know it stands for something...

I don't like Fantasmic though. It's a mindless menagerie or Disney characters with a complete lack of backbone. The bubble sequence and the "Lets get Mickey!" from EVERY villian is just blatant "synergy" and adding in characters which have nothing to do with the actual storyline for the sake of throwing them in and scoring points with fans of obscure characters.

I guess my main grudge is that on a given night you have to choose between Fantasmic and Illuminations, and well, Illuminations is better ;)

Then again, I know what Illuminations stands for and all the symbolism as well.

Oh yeah.. Overrated Attractions (based on grand expectations I got from good reviews from people on such forums!):

Test Track - The building felt empty and sparse.

HISTA - I love the preshow, but the show itself is stuck in the 80's. Not to mention mice and snakes don't scare me.

Country Bear Jamboree: I do not like the anything which brings to mind the term "yokel."

Character Meals: I'm not a fan of characters... Never have been, never will be.

The Coral Reef: Maybe it's okay if you like seafood.. Whatever you do, don't order the quail!!!

Resort Pools: You're all insane. Move to FL and buy your own pool like everyone else ;) In three years time you wont have any more desire to swim ever again.

Okies, that's my list for now :)

-Rob

dopey

The one and only time I saw Fantasmic, I was totally disappointed. So many people said it's the best show at WDW. When the dragon hocked a fireball loogie into the dirty pond, that was the topper. Never again.

I agree with RobFL that Illuminations is better; I would say much, much better, whether you understand the symbolism or not. The MK fireworks are better, too. So is watching maintenance sweep up the parking lots.

I would rather spend my time riding RnR and ToT over and over again than waste two or three hours at Fantasmic. Just my preference. No skin off my nose if others simply love Fantasmic. Have at it.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Put up another point for Fantasmic! The first time I ever saw that show, I followed the tips I'd read and got there an hour and a half before showtime. All that time spent on those evil bleachers just to see a show that was incredibly underwhelming.

On its own I think it's a pretty good show, but definitely NOT worth waiting more than 20-30 minutes on those bleachers for! I'd rather be at Epcot :).

wannabeBelle

Actually Fantasmic is one of my favorites so I guess I really cant identify, but Id love to hear more about the symbolism for Illuminations!! I dig that one too as well as Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks!! I guess I Am not too picky huh?? Belle:lol: :lol:

dreamer

Here are the definitive comments you need to know about all the attractions in question.

Spectromagic is not overrated. It is a great parade.

I was disappointed by Fantasmic because everything looked so small and far away. And the mountain looked cheaply constructed -- like it was made by kindergarteners out of construction paper. I think the script was a little corny at times.

Hall of Presidents and Country Bears are great attractions, but we're all so desensitized to technology that audioanimatronics has lost its appeal. We need new technology to amaze us. Also, I think the nature of patriotism has changed and HofP doesn't reflect that.

Small World was a work of genius. When you float it you need to see through to the creativity behind the props. I think it was the first Disney ride -- created for a World Fair. It needs to stay as a historical reminder of the evolution of the genre.

Alien Encounter scares little kids to death, but for anyone older than 11 or 12 it is a silly bore.

Haunted Mansion is wayyyy overrated in my opinion. but then I don't like horror, so I'm not a good judge.:lookaroun

Jungle Cruise is as good as the CM tour guide. It's not about the silly props if you haven't figured that out already.

I wouldn't ever wait in line for Test Track again. It's all yours whoever wants it.

I used to love the American Adventure, but now it seems mushy and sappy. I've grown cynical so it's probably me. I still think it's great entertainment, though. The paintings in the lobby are the best part.

I think Big Thunder Mtn is overrated. It's a wimpy, bumpy rollercoaster. Dollywood's new coaster is way better. I like Splash Mtn. It's a good mix of entertainment and thrill.

Underrated -- the old Walt Disney Story on Main Street. I can't wait to see the new one at MGM!!!!

If you have any more questions, just ask. :king: I'm feeling a little arrogant at the moment as you can tell.

RobFL

Account Suspended
This isn't a perfect interpetation, I've not got the soundtrack handy ;) nor a photographic memory, but this is the general idea of Illuminations: Reflections of Earth.

You start with the Storyteller. What's he telling? The story of Earth. The torches are for the nice "sitting around the fire" effect as he mentions, but then being the nifty storyteller he is (Who else tells stories with fireworks?) he blows out the torches and the lights and even the big Epcot wand.

So, now we have darkness. Or, to quote Ellen from her Energy Adventure "You brought me all the way back here to show me... nothing?"

Welcome to the pre-big bang. All is quiet and still. Unstable tough.

Movement begins in the void, though unseen as of yet. The rumble begins distant and then grows as more and more is happening just beyond our sight in the void. We are building toward something immense.

Then suddenly a single spark escapes the darkness and streams across the sky and just as it flitters out unremarkably the true hidden power is unleashed in a massive explosion. The big bang :)

Cause and effect, the first explosion leads to a second series closer to the water and then the Inferno barge errupts. It is a massive outpouring of energy. Things are fierce and chaotic, explosions happen suddenly and without warning. Fire and smoke is interjected with sparks and ash.

The fire momentarily calms but the worst is not over yet and the Inferno barge erupts in a final explosion expelling all its energy and causing itself to be spent. All is quiet and a starfield forms in the now occupied void. Order now ordains the happenings.

The fountains gush and shimmer cooler colors. Everything in the Universe is cooling and becoming hospitable. A form takes focus covered in shades of blue as massive oceans are begining to take form upon it.

The life blood of water leads first to aquatic inhabitence and then to the first signs of greenery on land. Then many terrestrial life forms become apparent. A group of horses gallop across a plain and then suddenly are frozen in time in a cave painting as seen through the eyes of Man. We stay focused through the eyes of man and start wandering toward the end of the cave and into the light. We begin to explore the world around us. We stake out new claims, countries and civilizations are formed as lights illumninate their represenatives around the lagoon. We then see the earth as a distinct place, images give way to forms, and we recognize it as our home.

Having satisfied the need to seek out and find, man begins to create. Sparks of inspiration fly as the world of art comes into being. We begin to leave a grand heritage and history, we leave our mark on Earth. We are no longer merely its inhabitants but rather a thriving part of its dynamic, having a profound effect upon it. This, we celebrate.

Once the celebration of Today concludes, we pause for a moment and then light a candle of hope and begin to spread it across the world. The torches come back to life as the music soars, one candle lit for each century which has passed giving hope to the next until we reach the finale - the final candle is lit. The hope for tomarrow and it is bigger and brither than all those which have come before it as it stems directly from the Earth itself and its inhabitants.

We Go On.

-Rob

MrPromey

Originally posted by dreamer

Haunted Mansion is wayyyy overrated in my opinion. but then I don't like horror, so I'm not a good judge.:lookaroun

I think Big Thunder Mtn is overrated. It's a wimpy, bumpy rollercoaster. Dollywood's new coaster is way better. I like Splash Mtn. It's a good mix of entertainment and thrill.

To Disney's credit, the Haunted Mansion was not intended to be a truly scarry ride nor was Big Thunder Mountain intended to be a truly thrilling roller coaster. I often hear people complain about Big Thunder Mountain and how you don't actually drop down the hills till you're half way down them to begin with. That wasn't really an accident. The ride was plenty thrilling enough for the 4 year old I went with who was tall enough to ride it ( Trust me, I think I still have nail marks on my right knee) and it is themed well enough to be entertaining to those of us who aren't afraid of it anymore.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The whole of Disney is over rated, lets face it they rely on extensive themeing to hide the fact that most attractions are just jumped up carnival rides.

When it comes to high tech entertainment, universal wins hands down.

Gone fishiin...............................................................

wahooskipper

Well,

I love Fantasmic, Test Track and Jungle Cruise...just to name a few of the dissed attractions on here. Funny as it might seem, Disney's target audience is more than just the 16-25 year old male.

As a former Jungle Cruise skipper I can tell you I have seen plenty of people who didn't like it...probably b/c they thought it was corny. I have seen plenty more people, children and adults alike who loved the ride and bought into the whole stupid fun of it.

I think you could look at any Disney attraction, parade, or what have you and find the same type of thing. The best part of Disney is the way so many different people can enjoy so many different things.

MrPromey

Originally posted by happy snapper
The whole of Disney is over rated, lets face it they rely on extensive themeing to hide the fact that most attractions are just jumped up carnival rides.

When it comes to high tech entertainment, universal wins hands down.

Universal wins hands down? Care to elaborate?...And before you do, I might add that you'll notice Universal no longer bills themselves as the most high tech theme park in the world. Test track is more technologically advanced than Universals most advanced attraction (Spiderman) regardless of which you prefer. ... and then there is Mission Space...

BTW, most of the original Disney attractions that so many people think of today as standard carnival fair originated with Disneyland. The teacups were the first of their kind as was believe it or not, Dumbo.

David

OK, please hold your "Boos/Hiss" attacks, but to me the most overated ride/attraction is .........(takes a deep breath) "Space Mountain."

Now I love coasters, and before my first trip to Disney, I had heard SO much about SM SM SM, I guess I had built it up too much in my mind. Of course, I ride it each trip, but I just don't think of it as the coaster to end all coasters.

To each his own........

mickey04

Originally posted by David
OK, please hold your "Boos/Hiss" attacks, but to me the most overated ride/attraction is .........(takes a deep breath) "Space Mountain."

Now I love coasters, and before my first trip to Disney, I had heard SO much about SM SM SM, I guess I had built it up too much in my mind. Of course, I ride it each trip, but I just don't think of it as the coaster to end all coasters.

To each his own........

I can understand what you mean. I think the reason Space Mountain holds so much appeal is its tradition. People flock to it not because it is technologically advanced or the most elaborate use of special effects, but because it is something of a tradition to ride. I would say SM is probably one of the top 3 most famous Disney ride in history. But I can understand why you'd consider it overrated.

goofyfan13

Personally I like Fantasmic, I'm not a fan of the water screens though, but I like the rest of it. Test Track I have to agree is over-rated. I think the ride could have been made much better if they tore down the structure and started from scratch, kinda like M:S. A couple more I think are over-rated are IASW, Dumbo, (come on it's always a half hour wait at least while Aladdin is like 10), and Norway, the ride just doesn't do it for me. Compared to disney, Universal is a bunch of cheap thrills with unorigional theming. The Lost Continent is the only land the isn't based off of a movie, show or book. Even so, when I went on dueling dragons, I thought the queue themeing was great, but when I got to the ride, the themeing stopped. Same with the Hulk. Yea they are good coasters but if your gonna theme them don't just stop it when you get to the ride. I can't think of one disney coaster that does that.

wannabeBelle

RobFL....WOW I always had gotten some of this but I am truly impressed at the depth of the symbolism. I thank you!!!
Happy Snapper.. I dont go to Disney exclusively for thrill rides. I live 1/2 hour from Great Adventure in New Jersey. If I wanted thrill rides only I would go there. I go to Disney for that out of this world and into a Fantasyland and yes I Am only 8 years old STILL (I am actually 37)feeling. If you want true thrill rides, you are correct there are far better places to go. If you want Magic, then come and see the World a la Walt Disney. Belle

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
It seems to me that people are getting bent out of shape here over nothing. There is a difference between something being bad and being overrated. I personally think that Fantasmic and Test Track are both overrated. Does that mean that I hate them and think they were the worst things ever done by Disney? No, it only means that I felt they didn't live up to the hype. They are still high quality Disney attractions. So if someone thinks that your favorite show or attraction is overrated be happy because there could be one less person in line ahead of you. ;)

MrPromey

Originally posted by happy snapper
Check the last line of my original post.:) , just wanted to see if this thread could stretch as far as the pool hopping one.

Count yourself lucky I saw this... I just found some rotten eggs hiding in the back of the fridge and I was all ready to start using them! :p ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom