Overrated Disney

celticdog

What i've noticed is that alot people focus solely on the visual nature of an attraction and completely miss the soundtracks. I can listen to Fantasmic, ROE and TON over and over again. IMO the music can make or break an attraction. Take IASW for example, the puppets and the visual input is amazing, however, that song can burn its way into the deep recesses of your brain and continue repeating over and over and over and over.:hammer: Yet, look at how long the line gets, visitors can't get enough of that ride.

jrashadb

What i've noticed is that alot people focus solely on the visual nature of an attraction and completely miss the soundtracks. I can listen to Fantasmic, ROE and TON over and over again. IMO the music can make or break an attraction. Take IASW for example, the puppets and the visual input is amazing, however, that song can burn its way into the deep recesses of your brain and continue repeating over and over and over and over. Yet, look at how long the line gets, visitors can't get enough of that ride.

Absoloutely. The whole Reflections of Earth suite is awesome. I have it on CD and listen to it almost every day. I think the music in Disney can turn something that may have been overrated and make it work. Which is to say, it can change a bad attraction to a good one and a good attraction to a great one.

Legacy

Oh, the music is definantly what makes the attraction. If I can't get into it from an audial standpoint... then I just have a problem with a ride.

*cough*Test Track*cough*

The music is the key thing to all of Disney. I mean, I could sit and listen to the RoE Suite, Fantasmic Soundtrack, Fantasy in the Sky... all of it, and enjoy myself simply based on the music. The visual aspects just make it that much better. I mean, would Spaceship Earth be the same without the music? Think about it... you have heard all of this stuff about how phenominal Spaceship Earth is. You have never ridden it before, but this time the music isn't there... all you get is the narration and minor dialogue. Wouldn't be the same thing would it?

I am looking at a lot of the 'over-rated' attractions and I can't help but see how a good bit of them don't seem to have a consistant musical theme (the shows excluded). Jungle Cruise, no song... Winnie the Pooh, no song... Test Track... no song (and don't tell me that mechanized whirring in the queque is a song).

The shows all come down to a matter of musical taste. I loved the Tarzan soundtrack before I saw the show. Guess what. I love the show. I hated Journey into Your Imagination. I like the new one, and besides Figment, One Little Spark does it for me.

Fantasmic... I love. Illuminations... I love. Any night time show... I love, mostly because of the music. The one exception is Main Street Elecrical Parade. I hate the music to that parade. I loved Tapestry of Nations because of the music. Tapestry of Dreams is the same music, which ruins it for me. I hear that music, I want NATIONS, not Dreams...

Anyway, look at the music of the attractions you think are over-rated. If you are not a big fan of the music for it, then chances are you will not be a big fan of the attraction.....

celticdog

"jrashadb " you are very correct, take the parades for example:

What's the difference between the Mainstreet Electrical Parade and Spectromagic? Both are floats with lots of lights, right? The music is the difference. I don't really care for TMEP, the music sounds too much like a carnival or fair, while Spectromagic is closer to being classical/symphonic in nature. Both parades are visually appealing but it's the music that makes Spectromagic better, but you would not know that by looking at the crowds that gather. Both draw huge numbers.

That is why my vote for the most overrated attraction is the MSEP.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Most over rated thing at Disney?

Why , Turkey legs of course. Why do people eat them cause lets face it at home youd feed that awfull meat to the cat.

emmagata

Originally posted by happy snapper

Why , Turkey legs of course. Why do people eat them cause lets face it at home youd feed that awfull meat to the cat.

No I WOULDN'T feed one of those turkey legs to my cats.

I LOVE my cats.

cymbaldiva

Now, now...nothing wrong with the turkey legs! Beats the heck out of those McD's fries! :lol:

As for music....I really love the soundtrack to MSEP - It just so totally reminds me of being in MK! :sohappy:

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by cymbaldiva

Now, now...nothing wrong with the turkey legs! Beats the heck out of those McD's fries! :lol:

As for music....I really love the soundtrack to MSEP - It just so totally reminds me of being in MK! :sohappy:

I love McDonalds fries!

But I agree with you on MSEP, I like the music.

jrashadb

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

I love McDonalds fries!

True, "Barouque Hoedown" is a little cheesy, I'll admit that. But, it's a classic song and I really like it. The fanfare at the beginning always puts a smile on my face. I love Spectromagic and the music is a lot better tht the music that went with the MSEP, but how can you hate it? It's old school.
Not enjoying "Barouque hoedown" is like saying you don't like "if you had wings." And that's just blasphemy.

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

I love McDonalds fries!

I like McD's fries well enough, but not enough to pay Disney prices for them! :lol:

The MSEP soundtrack will always remind me of the MK, so I'll always have a soft spot for it ...:)

3IAlienKid

I don't know how much hype these attractions really get, but I have to say I was disappointed by

Kali River Rapids - I wanted to get doused, I got sprinkled.

Backlot Tour - Nothing compared to (I hate to say it) Universal.

Indy Stunt Show - I'd read some very positive things about it before, but it was pretty ordinary to me.

Originally posted by 3IAlienKid
I don't know how much hype these attractions really get, but I have to say I was disappointed by

Kali River Rapids - I wanted to get doused, I got sprinkled.

RIDE IT ONE MORE TIME A DOUBLE YOUR ODDS OF GETTING DOUSED....IT HAPPENS.....FASTPASS IT....I SPEAK FROM MANY EXPERIENCES....BEST PART OF THE RIDE IS THE FACT YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN

Becky

I loved McDonalds fries.:) They started using the new oil here:( and now they are terrible:mad:

The sound tracks rule:cool: I agree that they turn almost any parade or ride into a much better experience.:D

Hum, Off Kilter redoing the IASW sound track.:D :cool: :animwink:

STGRhost

Why , Turkey legs of course. Why do people eat them cause lets face it at home youd feed that
awfull meat to the cat.

No I WOULDN'T feed one of those turkey legs to my cats.

I LOVE my cats.

:lol: ROTFL....and I don't think, honestly, I've EVER used that expression before...

Back to the topic...In my experience (in the "before time", when I worked at MK Custodial) the most overrated attraction has to be DUMBO...60 minute wait for a 45 second ride...but if you DON'T wait and ride it, your child will cry for days...and if you DO ride it? Your child will tell everyone at home that his favotire part of "Disneyworld" was the pool....:)

celticdog

Originally posted by Becky
Hum, Off Kilter redoing the IASW sound track.:D :cool: :animwink:

Wouldn't that be cool. Bagpipes, guitar, bass and drums, how can you possibly go wrong? That would really put a new twist on an old song.

And remember "If it's not scottish, it's crap" :D

Legacy

Originally Posted By Becky-
Hum, Off Kilter redoing the IASW sound track.:D:cool: :)
There is a great idea. Have Off-Kilter, Four 4 A Dollar, and Voices of Liberty cover attraction songs. I would buy it.

orlandoparks

Originally posted by MrPromey

Universal wins hands down? Care to elaborate?...And before you do, I might add that you'll notice Universal no longer bills themselves as the most high tech theme park in the world. Test track is more technologically advanced than Universals most advanced attraction (Spiderman) regardless of which you prefer. ... think of today as standard carnival fair originated with and then there is Mission Space...

BTW, most of the original Disney attractions that so many people Disneyland. The teacups were the first of their kind as was believe it or not, Dumbo.

Universal still calls themselves the most technologically advanced theme park in the world. It's just not used as often. And test track, as much as it breaks down, is not the most advanced ride. Look around online, Spiderman needs much more computer programming and power than cars running around a track.

http://themeparks.about.com/library/weekly/aa052802b.htm

http://www.themeparks.com/unifl/spiderman.htm

http://www.itec.com/pr/spidermn/spiderman.htm

http://www.gotoorlando.com/top/1,1419,G-Go2Orlando-ThemeParksArticles-X!ArticleDetail-1422,00.html

http://www.gotoorlando.com/top/1,1419,G-Go2Orlando-ThemeParksArticles-X!ArticleDetail-1428,00.html

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom