"...outsiders say (Disney's) recent fight with Anaheim is a sign it's (expanding)"

Sir_Cliff

This article is dealing in speculation (hence using the Internet's top sources for Disney rumours as sources and clearly labelling them as such), but I think it's pretty evident that Disney is looking to expand DLR in a big way over the next decade or so. Even just DCA looks to be getting a lot of investment thrown at it, and Ed Grier said not long ago that a third park is one of the possibilities being considered. I don't think it could ever be another WDW, but I'm sure they want to get it as close as they can!

They actually have a lot of land currently occupied by hotels and other things they could used south-east (I think!) of DCA. I'll have to try and find that map!

Dear Purveyors of the Los Angeles Times -

In the interest of promoting good journalism, and in an effort to preserve what is left of your ethics in reporting, let me pass on one piece of advice.

Internet Demagogues Jim Hill and Al Lutz ARE NOT SOURCES... You might as well pick up a college student in Nebraska, or a vagrant off the street and ask his opinion.

Sincerely,
Enderikari

Exactly!

And after reading Lutz's latest article on MiceAge, he REALLY needs to get over his grudges against WDW. He said "Unlike the stale Walt Disney World and its totalitarian company control over where it does business..."

How wrong can that guy get?! WDW is NOT stale and totalitarian! Yes, it does have its flaws, but it's not perfect! MR. LUTZ, GIVE WDW A BREAK ALREADY!

His writing style most certainly indicates that he's just writing stupid rumors and hearsay rather than reporting actual news.

Sir_Cliff

Exactly!

And after reading Lutz's latest article on MiceAge, he REALLY needs to get over his grudges against WDW. He said "Unlike the stale Walt Disney World and its totalitarian company control over where it does business..."

How wrong can that guy get?! WDW is NOT stale and totalitarian! Yes, it does have its flaws, but it's not perfect! MR. LUTZ, GIVE WDW A BREAK ALREADY!

His writing style most certainly indicates that he's just writing stupid rumors and hearsay rather than reporting actual news.

He sometimes comes up with interesting articles, but I agree that he'd be far easier to read if he wasn't such an idiot at times, if you'll excuse my bluntness!

He always picks a favourite whipping boy, whether it be DCA or WDW, and ruins his updates with annoying putdowns peppered throughout.

Too true. I, too, have most certainly noticed that Mr. Lutz has been doing way more name-calling in his more recent articles than he used to.

He would also be more tolerable if he would just post disclaimers in his articles stating things like the fact that what he writes is just his personal opinions and if he would just start certain sentences with "In my opinion,..." or "Rumor has it..." or "Word on the street is..." or whatever.

After all, too much of what Lutz writes are just opinions, hearsay and wishful thinking. And his pathetic attempts to make himself such a Disney "go-to" guy who insists that he's always right makes him come off as even more annoying and tough to stomach.

Nicole220

Too true. I, too, have most certainly noticed that Mr. Lutz has been doing way more name-calling in his more recent articles than he used to.

He would also be more tolerable if he would just post disclaimers in his articles stating things like the fact that what he writes is just his personal opinions and if he would just start certain sentences with "In my opinion,..." or "Rumor has it..." or "Word on the street is..." or whatever.

After all, too much of what Lutz writes are just opinions, hearsay and wishful thinking. And his pathetic attempts to make himself such a Disney "go-to" guy who insists that he's always right makes him come off as even more annoying and tough to stomach.
Al is full of it and can be very misleading. I never take what he says to heart until it is confirmed by Disney.

Marcie, a trusted Disney insider over at mouseinfo, has replied to the article. Here's her post: http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17246315&postcount=75
The thread: http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85661&page=8

wedway71

As much as I think Lutz is trying to find problems I did have issue with the green concrete that desperately needs repainting in the pic in his last article.

Nicole220

Since we are on the topic of Lutz's article....

-I'm very excited for the snow covered castle!! I sounds like it is going to be lovely!
-I'm going to have no problem getting a job at DL this summer if they can't get enough people for Nemo
-I don't know where they are going to put the Nemo line...it's easily going to exceed 3 hours.
-The Paradise Bay boat thingy is stupid because there is nowhere to go and nothing to look at.
*The "mine" segulls are now in the lagoon! :sohappy:

Sorry...I'm a bit excited. Now back to the topic.

DisneyYorkian74

I think it's ridiculous to justify an entire new theme park in DLR just because of the slight attendance spike during the 50th celebration.

I could understand if the attendance held steady afterwards; but as soon as the celebration ended the resort's attendance took a dive and is now in a steady decline.

I've seen some pictures of the "Proposed" space for a 3rd park in another thread, and it looked smaller than DCA. How can Disney build a quality park with such a small space?

Another thing is that the park won't be connected to the resort itself. I think that will add a lot of confusion as to how to access the park for new guests or guests that are unaware that the park exists.

Not to mention that it will ruin the "Disney" magic; going off property into the "real world" on the city's roads and then back to Disney.

I'm surprised DLR fans aren't upset about this because DLR just doesn't have the land nor need to create a great park. I think it will be history just repeating itself in that Disney will just try and squish everything into a small space and throw out the resort's integrity just in hopes that DLR will become a little more like WDW.

And you can't forget that DCA is still a struggling park.

DisneyYorkian74

Marcie, a trusted Disney insider over at mouseinfo, has replied to the article. Here's her post: http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17246315&postcount=75
The thread: http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85661&page=8

That person who wrote that post is so biased it's not even funny. (I'm not one to talk, but still...)

She put so many "positive spins" on the numbers when it came to DLR and so many "negative spins" on the numbers when it came to WDW.

All I have to say is that everybody knows that Walt Disney World will and has always been more popular than DLR since the day the Magic Kingdom park opened.

And WDW's attendance held and actually rose after the 50th celebration unlike DLR's.

DLR's attendance is down so I don't know where that person got the info. that DLR is "growing by leaps and bounds." (Both parks rose 12.1% combined from 2004 to 2005)

While WDW's attendance continues to grow and is the world's number one tourist destination. (4 parks rose 21% combined from 2004 to 2005)

Nicole220

I think it's ridiculous to justify an entire new theme park in DLR just because of the slight attendance spike during the 50th celebration.

I could understand if the attendance held steady afterwards; but as soon as the celebration ended the resort's attendance took a dive and is now in a steady decline.

I've seen some pictures of the "Proposed" space for a 3rd park in another thread, and it looked smaller than DCA. How can Disney build a quality park with such a small space?

Another thing is that the park won't be connected to the resort itself. I think that will add a lot of confusion as to how to access the park for new guests or guests that are unaware that the park exists.

Not to mention that it will ruin the "Disney" magic; going off property into the "real world" on the city's roads and then back to Disney.

I'm surprised DLR fans aren't upset about this because DLR just doesn't have the land nor need to create a great park. I think it will be history just repeating itself in that Disney will just try and squish everything into a small space and throw out the resort's integrity just in hopes that DLR will become a little more like WDW.

And you can't forget that DCA is still a struggling park.
I'm not happy with it. I don't want them to spend money on a new park when DCA needs a lot of help. It would be great to see them put their money into enhancing the Resort, not expanding it.

Nicole220

That person who wrote that post is so biased it's not even funny. (I'm not one to talk, but still...)

She put so many "positive spins" on the numbers when it came to DLR and so many "negative spins" on the numbers when it came to WDW.

All I have to say is that everybody knows that Walt Disney World will and has always been more popular than DLR since the day the Magic Kingdom park opened.

And WDW's attendance held and actually rose after the 50th celebration unlike DLR's.

DLR's attendance is down so I don't know where that person got the info. that DLR is "growing by leaps and bounds." (Both parks rose 12.1% combined from 2004 to 2005)

While WDW's attendance continues to grow and is the world's number one tourist destination. (4 parks rose 21% combined from 2004 to 2005)
WDW has and always be the more popular resort. It is much bigger than the DLR, thus making it a great vacation destination. It attracts people from around the world as opposed to just locals.

Sir_Cliff

You've got to remember that this is long-term planning we're talking about, not opening a new park next year, and it's based on DLR's low capacity and recent strong results . A new park certainly wouldn't be open by the end of this decade and would only be in the very earliest blue sky stage right now.
"Took a dive" is a very strong statement, as is "in a steady decline"; do you have any proof of that?

All I see in the last quarterly report is that there was a decline in attendance following the end of the 50th anniversary, something that I think Disney would have expected considering that it was the biggest celebration in the resort's history. To draw a WDW analogy, the highest annual attendance recorded for MK is still the year of the 25th anniversary.

Um, is it really surprising that the celebration of Disneyland's 50th anniversary turned out to be a relative non-event at WDW compared to Disneyland? They barely mentioned it at Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disneyland or Hong Kong Disneyland.

I'm more surprised that any WDW fan would be upset by it.

Who cares if Disneyland is weighing up their options in terms of building a third park in some form? If it's a "mine's bigger than yours" issue, then DLR will never, ever be able to approach the scope of WDW so you're safe there. In terms of them building an inferior park, we don't know how much land they really own, how they plan to use it and any details about how a third park might work. It's certainly too early to start talking about a crappy third park when Disney probably hasn't even settled on a theme let alone begun any practical design work.

Nicole220

I don't see how people are saying DL is getting low attendance numbers. It gets packed when any holiday comes around, even a three day weekend. The weekends are pure maddness at the DLR!
You've got to remember that this is long-term planning we're talking about, not opening a new park next year, and it's based on DLR's low capacity and recent strong results . A new park certainly wouldn't be open by the end of this decade and would only be in the very earliest blue sky stage right now.

"Took a dive" is a very strong statement, as is "in a steady decline"; do you have any proof of that?

All I see in the last quarterly report is that there was a decline in attendance following the end of the 50th anniversary, something that I think Disney would have expected considering that it was the biggest celebration in the resort's history. To draw a WDW analogy, the highest annual attendance recorded for MK is still the year of the 25th anniversary.

Um, is it really surprising that the celebration of Disneyland's 50th anniversary turned out to be a relative non-event at WDW compared to Disneyland? They barely mentioned it at Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disneyland or Hong Kong Disneyland.

I'm more surprised that any WDW fan would be upset by it.

Who cares if Disneyland is weighing up their options in terms of building a third park in some form? If it's a "mine's bigger than yours" issue, then DLR will never, ever be able to approach the scope of WDW so you're safe there. In terms of them building an inferior park, we don't know how much land they really own, how they plan to use it and any details about how a third park might work. It's certainly too early to start talking about a crappy third park when Disney probably hasn't even settled on a theme let alone begun any practical design work.
I'm surprised as well. If this was happening to WDW, I wouldn't care at all since I'm a born and raised DLR person.

About the size of the land, if I can remember correctly, the size is not that big. It consists of a CM parking lot (not as big as the one DCA was built on) and a strawberry farm. I don't think much can go there...I'm going to look for some pictures of the area to see if I'm wrong.

I agree. It seems to me like Marcie is becoming more and more like a Mrs. Al Lutz every day.

She's been acting like another overly-biased DL fangirl with a strong hatred towards WDW.

Ummm...Since these two statements are saying essentially the same thing, what argument are you exactly trying to make here? :veryconfu

Let me rephrase that then...

Even though WDW has its flaws, it remains a wonderful place to visit and always will be a wonderful place to visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom