"...outsiders say (Disney's) recent fight with Anaheim is a sign it's (expanding)"

Enderikari

Well...maybe.
If the Sentinel, for example, called me to see what I know about the Mansion refurb, I could tell them. They could then print the info, with the stipulation of "internet poster Lee says" or some such. They would not be irresponsible for doing so anymore than a source quoting...say...the Drudge Report. The world turns on inside information, the source of which will never, and should never, come to light.

Yeah, we're never gonna agree on Jim and Al, or on internet speculation and info leaking. Fun to bicker about, though! :lol:

Anyhow...wow...that DLR....growing by leaps and bounds, huh? Place won't be recognizable in 10 years time. DCA either.

Well, I already have my own problems with the Sentinal doing a majority of their "hard-hitting journalism" on internet message boards.
But, and this is a problem that every company is having these days, wasn't the Disney Theme Parks a lot more magical when everything was still kind of secret? When the whole world didn't know how things worked, or what new attraction was opening up? I seriously wish Disney would consider plugging some of the holes in their collective, to button things up a bit more... The last big secret Disney was able to spring properly was the Magic Your Way ticketing structure.

But back to my original point... "Internet Poster Lee" while credible amongst the board here, is not a credible source for a newspaper, being as that "Internet Poster Lee" is not a real person... I have no doubt that you could be (and probably have been) interviewed, and used as a credible source, but never as "Internet Poster Lee."

And about DLR, I would be happy if they widened a few pathways, maybe made their castle a bit taller... That's the kind of expansion I want to see.

Enderikari

As nice as that is for DLR...when are we going to start some more attention to WDW?

That's right, why can't WDW have 100 million dollar attractions like the ones Disneyland has received recently? I want to see Expedition: Everest brought over to WDW. I love the castle stage show in front of Sleeping Beauty castle, why can't we have something like that at WDW, too? Even better, I bet with enough money (that I guess those big, bad execs aren't willing to spend) they could even make those characters on stage talk! Last time I was at DL, I saw really huge aquarium, where, in the aquarium itself, the turtle actually talked to you! Sure, here at WDW we have a talking turtle too, but he's in the middle of an animation building where it makes no sense!

Enderikari

As opposed to budget starved rehabs of current - and remember when every new major attraction was of Everest scale?

Sure do, I remember when the company wasn't afraid to spend millions of dollars on the cardboard cut-outs that made up Mr. Toads. I remember when the company wasn't afraid to put Fish on Strings (TM) in the 20,000 Leagues Lagoon... Those grand and happy days when the latex balloons sold on Main Street popped within the first two hours of a guests visit because they had to be overfilled in order to make the ears expand, and Florida's summer heat can sneak up on you... I remember when the words horticulture meant that expensive, exotic chicken wire fencing is what seperated the daffodils from the other Generic Plant (TM). I remember when the awesome rehabs which happened to Tomorrowland meant that the budget for changing If You Had Wings to Delta Dreamflight was done in the way Imagineers wanted it, to the most exacting detail...

Something like that?

sponono88

That's right, why can't WDW have 100 million dollar attractions like the ones Disneyland has received recently? I want to see Expedition: Everest brought over to WDW. I love the castle stage show in front of Sleeping Beauty castle, why can't we have something like that at WDW, too? Even better, I bet with enough money (that I guess those big, bad execs aren't willing to spend) they could even make those characters on stage talk! Last time I was at DL, I saw really huge aquarium, where, in the aquarium itself, the turtle actually talked to you! Sure, here at WDW we have a talking turtle too, but he's in the middle of an animation building where it makes no sense!

Um, wow :hammer:

Your comments are so ignorant, they're funny. I won't start any 'my-park-is-better-than-yours' discussion this time ;) but I will say that your comments are ignorant. That's all. Bye :dazzle:

ToTBellHop

Your comments are so ignorant, they're funny. I won't start any 'my-park-is-better-than-yours' discussion this time ;) but I will say that your comments are ignorant. That's all. Bye :dazzle:
and annoying...let's not forget that. But, clearly, everyone else who feels that projects at WDW of late have been lacking is wrong...

Everest is the one shining jewel in the bunch and even it was not mind-blowing for me. Lots of fun, but I still prefer attractions like Splash Mountain, the Indiana Jones Adventure, and the Tower of Terror. A visit to both American Magic Kingdoms today is very telling--not even getting into the number of attractions at either park, overall maintenance it noticeably different, and I don't think the lame Cinderellabration had any positive impact on anyone's views of the Magic Kingdom.

spaceghost

Dear Purveyors of the Los Angeles Times -

In the interest of promoting good journalism, and in an effort to preserve what is left of your ethics in reporting, let me pass on one piece of advice.

Internet Demagogues Jim Hill and Al Lutz ARE NOT SOURCES... You might as well pick up a college student in Nebraska, or a vagrant off the street and ask his opinion.

Sincerely,
Enderikari

That is frakkin' hilarious... hehe... :ROFLOL:

basas

Well, I already have my own problems with the Sentinal doing a majority of their "hard-hitting journalism" on internet message boards.
But, and this is a problem that every company is having these days, wasn't the Disney Theme Parks a lot more magical when everything was still kind of secret? When the whole world didn't know how things worked, or what new attraction was opening up? I seriously wish Disney would consider plugging some of the holes in their collective, to button things up a bit more... The last big secret Disney was able to spring properly was the Magic Your Way ticketing structure.

But back to my original point... "Internet Poster Lee" while credible amongst the board here, is not a credible source for a newspaper, being as that "Internet Poster Lee" is not a real person... I have no doubt that you could be (and probably have been) interviewed, and used as a credible source, but never as "Internet Poster Lee."

And about DLR, I would be happy if they widened a few pathways, maybe made their castle a bit taller... That's the kind of expansion I want to see.

Talk about unnecessary...

I think it is pretty clear that WDW is number two on Disney's list right now (and has been for the past few years). All you have to do is look at the latest attractions/additions, park maintenance, and basic attention WDW is receiving when compared to DL's two parks. Expedition Everest was a great addition to Animal Kingdom...no one disagrees...but is that going to be your justification for "Disney is doing enough" for the next 10 years? WDW has 3 other theme parks and at least 2 of them need serious work.

BwanaBob

Right, but someone telling someone else something is not anything more than rumors... We could go back and forth all you want about Al and Jim's credibility, and I doubt you and I would ever see eye to eye... but I was making a remark which specifically refers to their source to a newspaper. If someone gets their information from a source who would actually know, then it is the reporters responsibility to find out, from their, as you say "secondary source" who the primary source is and find out from them.

One of the few times where a life lessons learned in a college classroom applies...

Don't do your research on the internet

If by "life lessons learned in a college classroom" you mean overzealous journalist graduates out to change the world by standing up for the 'injustices of poor reporting' by the corporate printing-press...

Lee

Adventurer
wasn't the Disney Theme Parks a lot more magical when everything was still kind of secret? When the whole world didn't know how things worked, or what new attraction was opening up?

I'm getting predictable, but...I disagree.:drevil:

My interest in the parks was gigantic to begin with, but only increased when I gained access to backstage knowledge, insider info, etc. That's just the way I am.
I also don't think any magic is ruined for the casual guest. It's really a very small percentage (the park nuts like me) that spend any real time and effort to find out "how things worked, or what new attraction was opening up."

Enderikari

::Holds one finger up in the air, stops for a moment...::

::Considers what he is about to say::

::Holds same finger up in the air to signal a long tirade::

::Lowers it again to further consider what he is about to say::

nevermind
;)

TP2000

Wow, interesting news and insight in that article. For those not here in SoCal, this was a major story in the Los Angeles Times today. And now all of the local news stations are covering it too tonight. It was a big front page story that got lots of attention here on a relatively slow news day.

That said, it's fascinating to me how the tides turn within Disney. 7 or 8 years ago it was all about Florida with those slimy hacks Pressler and Cynthia Harriss running Disneyland into the ground.

But a few years later things changed for the better at Disneyland seemingly overnight with the arrival of Matt Ouimet and the prep for the 50th, then the 50th actually came and blew even the most optimistic projections out of the water, and now things are all about the near future for Anaheim. :sohappy:

As for the track record on Al Lutz, that guy has had a fantastic batting average for the past two or three years. He has blown open stories no one even knew about like Pirate's Lair or recent news about the Subs now being a 14 minute long ride, etc. He certainly offers up more information about Disneyland than anyone else, and his track record is impressive. So why wouldn't the LA Times quote him on what he's heard about these Anaheim plans?

Even Ed Grier's official statement to the Times seems to support what Al Lutz has been saying for months now; the 50th was wildly succesful and Jay Rasulo now has grand plans for Anaheim that Burbank is ready to fund.

TP2000

Other than the strawberry fields (which WDC already owns), what other land is available out there enmasse for purchase and development?

The area immediately surrounding the Strawberry Fields and sprawling Cast Member parking lot is made up of aging apartment buildings from the 1970's and 80's. There are also an old mobile home park, a strip mall and a Denny's on that land. Here's a link to a Yahoo satellite image of the property... http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTE...t=s&trf=0&lon=-117.910402&lat=33.801617&mag=3

The CM Parking is at the top of the superblock, you can see the big swath of green where the strawberry fields are, and the surrounding apartment complexes. Directly to the left of that block is the Anaheim Convention Center and attached Hilton, Marriott, etc. hotels. In the upper left hand corner you can see the Disneyland Resort proper with DCA and some of Disneyland Park in the shot.

Basically, the land in that part of town currently has homes and businesses on it all. But they are older apartments for the most part, and older businesses, and it is very conceivable that they could be bought out for Disney development of a third park or assorted Resort amenities. The LA Times article quoted a couple of those land owners who said they have been approached by anonymous buyers believed to be Disney asking them to sell their land.

Xadllas

I actually agree with Enderikari and his statment on the fact Turtle Talk is in the animation building.. and I don't find his comments ignorant.. but thats just me. :wave:

Tigggrl

That property for "gardenwalk" has been fenced off for YEARS. The fence is looking very shabby, and its just not attractive by any means. For crying out loud, if you are going to do something with that property do it soon, its a giant eyesore!

phichi17

"The area immediately surrounding the Strawberry Fields and sprawling Cast Member parking lot is made up of aging apartment buildings from the 1970's and 80's. There are also an old mobile home park, a strip mall and a Denny's on that land. Here's a link to a Yahoo satellite image of the property... http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTEx...3.801617&mag=3

The CM Parking is at the top of the superblock, you can see the big swath of green where the strawberry fields are, and the surrounding apartment complexes. Directly to the left of that block is the Anaheim Convention Center and attached Hilton, Marriott, etc. hotels. In the upper left hand corner you can see the Disneyland Resort proper with DCA and some of Disneyland Park in the shot.

Basically, the land in that part of town currently has homes and businesses on it all. But they are older apartments for the most part, and older businesses, and it is very conceivable that they could be bought out for Disney development of a third park or assorted Resort amenities. The LA Times article quoted a couple of those land owners who said they have been approached by anonymous buyers believed to be Disney asking them to sell their land."

Thanks for that very informative and intelligent reply.:)

:: Shakes head and wonders::
:: Raises finger to start rant::
:: Puts it down and chuckles to himself "If they only knew"::
:rolleyes:

phichi17

I wish.:rolleyes:
They both have their own strengths, as I see it.
Jim has more contacts at WDI and not as much in park ops, so he gets more blue-sky info.
Al relies heavily on cm and TDA personnel, not really straight from WDI, so his info is primarily things that are activly being developed.

Me? I get a little of both.
That brings a kind of balance to the info you share on here. The blue sky stuff Hill reports, while entertaining to read, often times does not pan out as originally reported (I know, that is why it's called blue sky). I for one would rather hear more concrete info from the company itself (doesn't happen timely enough for folks like us) or a balance of info like Corrus, yourself and others here are good enough to share.

BTW, I am so glad this has not erupted into a shouting match like a lot of threads have lately, ain't it nice to actually discuss something for a change?

TP2000

That property for "gardenwalk" has been fenced off for YEARS. The fence is looking very shabby, and its just not attractive by any means. For crying out loud, if you are going to do something with that property do it soon, its a giant eyesore!

Yes, the whole GardenWalk thing is a saga that goes back years and years. But actually, GardenWalk is well under construction. They've finished digging down for about three levels of underground parking, and now structural steel is going up.

Here's some recent GardenWalk construction pics, compliments of Disneyland fansite celebrity photographer Darkbeer.... http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/2566060#134897129

In the past month or so Alcohol Permit notices have gone up on the construction wall notifying the public of permit applications from CPK, McCormick & Shmicks, Cheesecake Factory, etc. for the mall.

Believe it or not, GardenWalk should be open about a year from now.

phichi17

Yes, the whole GardenWalk thing is a saga that goes back years and years. But actually, GardenWalk is well under construction. They've finished digging down for about three levels of underground parking, and now structural steel is going up.

Here's some recent GardenWalk construction pics, compliments of Disneyland fansite celebrity photographer Darkbeer.... http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/2566060#134897129

In the past month or so Alcohol Permit notices have gone up on the construction wall notifying the public of permit applications from CPK, McCormick & Shmicks, Cheesecake Factory, etc. for the mall.

Believe it or not, GardenWalk should be open about a year from now.
Ok, I am ignorant, is Gardenwalk owned by Disney?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom