Our first stay at the AKL - any tips or advices?

Spike-in-Berlin

Yesterday we changed our reservations for our fall trip (September 27th to October 13th) from 12 nights at the Pop and four nights at the CBR to 11 nights at the Pop and five at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We are very glad about that because we normally want to stay the last 4-5 days at a deluxe and we originally only booked CBR because there were no AP-holder rooms left for the deluxes we were interested in.
Well some CM at disney reservations screwed up our bookings and left us with a one day gap between our check-out at the Pop and check-in at the CBR. Because our desire to sleep one night on some park benches is quite negligible we wanted this corrected and when I called after they corrected their error I just asked, without big hope, if they have any AP-rooms in the WL, AKL, Poly or Contemporary. And the big surprise, they had a room in the Jambo House, standard view left! So I changed the reservations again and we are staying the last five days at the AKL, just like we had originally planned.
As I don't know anything in detail about the AKL do you have any tips or advices etc. for a AKL-first timer? How far (time, not mileage) is it from there with the buses to MK, EPCOT, DHS and DTD?
Thank you.

ncdisneyfan

Last August we stayed at AKL Kiddani Village Savanna View (we are DVC members). While we did enjoy our view from the balcony & enjoyed the beauty of the resort I do not think we would ever go back to AKL. Nothing is easy...while staying at Kiddani Village you pretty much have to go over to Jambo house to eat. I know there is a restaurant in Kiddani Village but when you have younger children the menu does not have the best choices. The other draw back is how long it takes to get to all the parks (except AK). Every bus stops at Kiddani Village first , then it stops at Jambo House. So if you have dining reservations at any of the parks make sure you leave plenty of time to get from AKL to your destination. Several times it took us at least a half hour to get to MK & DTD....regardless of these draw backs I think everyone should try AKL at least once...it is quite beautiful!!! Just plan for all the extra time!

Upvote 0

Ariel484

We stayed 3 nights at Jambo in June and really liked it. I was concerned about the buses, but they really weren't that bad (though we never did take a bus to MK, so I can't comment on that ride). The ride to DTD was the worst, but I think you'll get that at most resorts.

If you can fit it into your budget, definitely eat at Jiko and make sure you take time to explore the lobby/common area. I wish we'd done this more on our trip!

Have a great time! :wave:

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

The food court selections are terrible! Stayed club level savanna view and loved the balcony and view of the animals. Animals can be seen at a lot of look outs but you mostly see them early morning and sunset. The rest of the time they are way in the back. The pool and slide are great. No problem with buses. Stayed once but will not again, don't think its worth the money, but you have to do it once!

Upvote 0

sksowell

We will be staying a week or so before you, also for our first time. I think others have answered your questions, you will need to plan on 30 mins or so for trip to any park besides AK. We will also be trying Boma. Will have a full report when we return. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

There are all types of activities for kids. One of them is highlighted as "bead" activity. In these, the kids get a bead for participating. It is fun for the kids. If they complete all of them, they get a special bead. All the kids we watched do it thoroughly enjoyed the activities. They are for younger kids.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

We stayed AKL CL back in January '10 and thoroughly enjoyed the resort.

The buses do take a little longer going to MK, Epcot, and DHS but we didn't feel like that was a bad thing. The slightly longer bus rides were relaxing and truly made us feel like we were in our own little world at our home away from home. The bus to AK is super fast so no problem there. Looking back, I don't remember having any significant bus issues. Nothing stands out there. No matter what resort we're in, whenever going to ADRs when time is an issue we hop on in a taxi. The fast service and peace of mind make the fare money well-spent for us.

We had breakfast at Boma, dinner at Jiko, and dinner at Mara during our stay. We absolutely loved our breakfast at Boma. The goat cheese scrambled eggs are wonderful! Jiko was also super good. Our dinner at the Mara kinda funny. We had 4 adults & my 2 boys when we went. We were all sooooo hungry that everything appealed to us. Between the in-laws and the hubby & me we ordered like 6 dishes and everyone sampled. I absolutely adore the couscous. Mmmm... Never had breakfast at the Mara so couldn't tell you anything there.

The pool was being refurbed while we were there but it sure did look like fun. Not sure if things are still the same but it's been my understanding that guests at Jambo are also welcome to use the pool faciliities at Kidani. Check into that. If it still holds true then there's a 2nd awesome pool complex for ya!

Honestly, we feel like AKL is a destination unto itself. The resort is gorgeous and the theming is very well done. There's so many activities (make sure you get a schedule!). So, so much to do and see. You could go to AKL and stay a long weekend without ever leaving the resort. It's really a neat place. Be sure to go watch the animals at night using the night vision goggles. Ask questions. Wander and explore. There's so many artifacts and displays everywhere. We would definitely consider staying at AKL again sometime! :wave:

Upvote 0

DrummerAlly

We LOVED AKL! You'll have an awesome time. After staying at AKL, we don't think we'll be staying anywhere else for a while. I'm in the process of planning a longer 2012 trip there for us.

The busses are absolutely fine. They came quickly and weren't too crowded. I really don't understand people's frustration with WDW busses. They even had some small games out at the bus stop to keep small children occupied while they were waiting.

Make sure you plan plenty of time to just roam around the hotel and enjoy the architecture, people, and animals. They have CMs from Africa around the animal viewing areas and we had some amazing conversations with them about their home and the animals. Some of my favorite spots of the resort include the hot tubs conveniently located by the savanna, the wonderful rocking chairs on the balconies and the bar (and its great bartenders!) that overlooks Boma.

They have lots of cultural activities in the lobby that we regret not taking part in. Next time we go, we'll plan a day or two to take part in these and dine at Jiko.

Upvote 0

<3caseyscorner

We stay at the AKL every year!!! It gives the perfect Disney feel!!! Also the pool is great! and the food.......:slurp::slurp::slurp: You just can't go wrong with animals outside your balcony! Also at night you can go down to a designated area and there will be a cast member that will give you night vision goggles where you can see the animals at night!!! SO COOL!!! Also you have to try Boma for breakfast. There are always activities going on too! Its so nice! GREAT CHOICE!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0
My Hubby and I stay at AKL alot we love to just take a walk around outside back. At night they light the fire pit which is really cool. You can take a walk to "The Mara" pretty decent sandwiches there and quick bites. If you can try to book "Boma" (for breakfast) it's really really good I love it and also "Jiko" is a must do special dinner. Very very good food. The bus to Animal Kingdom Park is less than 5 min. I would take the first bus there and get there for opening when it's nice and cool and leave by Lunch Time or somewhere near that, it's brutal hot there from 1pm - 3pm. :)
You are going to LOVE AKL I am so excited for you!!!! Enjoy ok.:wave::sohappy:

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

Take advantage of all the activities the resort has to offer. You'll get a list at check-in of all of them. While you're in the hotel taking part in the activities talk to the Safari Guides that are assisting you. They are all from Africa and most of them are Savannah guides back home so they are a wealth of information and have some great stories to tell.

Also, make sure you eat in the restaurants. They are ALL fantastic. My favorite is Sanaa but you really can't go wrong with any of them. Really it just depends on your tastes for which one you'll like the best.

If you have any questions about the resort let me know! You're going to love it!

Upvote 0

worldfanatic

Enjoy Victoria Falls Lounge.

In my humble and very experienced:ROFLOL: opinion, it's the best lounge/bar in all of Disney World.
If you like to drink, or even if you don't, it's a great place to relax.

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
Thank you VERY MUCH to all of you. Your advices, tips and recommendations are highly appreciated.
We have already learned at the WL and the Poly that you really have to take some time to explore your resorts opportunities and of course we will do that in the AKL. When we arrive there we have already had an 11 day stay at the World so we will have some time left for staying at and exploring the features of our resort.

The animals are however not that important for us because we had until a few month ago an annual pass for our city zoo and after 30 or 40 visits in a little less than 11 months there giraffes, zebras, ostriches etc. have lost their exotism a little.. :)

And I am BIG into cocktails so I am really happy to have a good bar there, thanks for the tip worldfanatic.

We knew that we can't walk to the AK but we didn't expect it anyway, it's WDW but it's still America after all.
And it's funny that quite a lot of guests there comment that "they wouldn't go again but you should have been there once".
We are very excited, a little like we were going on a Safari in Africa, just like we had this funny feeling of travelling to the South Seas or Hawaii when we had booked the Poly last year.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

You don't say if you have children, so it is hard to offer things to do. If you do have children, definitely look at the activities. Some activities only occur on certain days. It is always educational and fun to talk to the CMs that work there. They all have stories and knowledge to pass along from their home country and how their culture is represented in the resort.

Upvote 0

GoochDSA

I hate to high-jack OP, but I have a question that is related. Does anyone know if they still offer movies at night by the pool? And if so do they know which days and at what times? I could have sworn I have seen pictures of a giant screen out by the pool with people swimming and whatnot while a movie was playing.

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
You don't say if you have children, so it is hard to offer things to do. If you do have children, definitely look at the activities. Some activities only occur on certain days. It is always educational and fun to talk to the CMs that work there. They all have stories and knowledge to pass along from their home country and how their culture is represented in the resort.

Sorry forgot to mention that, we don't have children.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom