Ouch...

Maria

I thought all the seats should be a standard size at least in transatlantic flights. :confused:
I understand them being smaller in small planes (like the one I took from Orlando to Miami once... we were only a few people and had to sit in certain spots to "balance" the plane), but for such a long flight like that, they should be standard in coach, no?

I just can´t believe the husband would refuse to trade sits! That´s so rude! Then they obviously knew they needed to buy an extra seat! I´ve seen big people buy two seats in planes here or buy first class so they can fit in it, and they always warn the airline when buying the ticket...otherwise there is no way to know it before boarding the plane, and if the plane is full like this one, it´s hard to accomodate them. What bothers me is the couple´s attitude! :mad:

I was in a show once seated next to a big lady who shamelessly sat on my thigh and didn´t even care to move! My friends still tell the story laughing about it, but I couldn´t laugh at all. I was so mad! On top of everything, she had a huge coke and a huge popcorn! I finally found a seat a few chairs from her (and my friends) and moved there for the concert, but I wasn´t next to my group. :( At least I could enjoy the show without the pain she caused me! :)

darthdarrel

I think that they should make the seats wider!:mad: I know they wont but I think that someone should sue the airlines,possibly using the american disablities act. I`m sorry but not every heavy person is a pig! I for one hardly eat! yet I weigh 260 pds I can`t eat much cause I`m diabetic. I weighed 140 When I was in High school but I got a desk job after high school and my weight ballooned! I have the metabolism of a speed bump,yet my 2 older brothers can eat and eat like a pig and never gain an ounce! My oldest brother Michael weighs a whopping 150 pds and my middle brother Mark weighs 125 pds and and all 3 of us are 5 ft. 8 in. tall!:(

Maria

Originally posted by darthdarrel
I think that they should make the seats wider!:mad: I know they wont but I think that someone should sue the airlines,possibly using the american disablities act. I`m sorry but not every heavy person is a pig! I for one hardly eat! yet I weigh 260 pds I can`t eat much cause I`m diabetic. I weighed 140 When I was in High school but I got a desk job after high school and my weight ballooned! I have the metabolism of a speed bump,yet my 2 older brothers can eat and eat like a pig and never gain an ounce! My oldest brother Michael weighs a whopping 150 pds and my middle brother Mark weighs 125 pds and and all 3 of us are 5 ft. 8 in. tall!:(

Inhale, exhale... inhale, exhale....
Get it out of your system Darrel! :sohappy:
It´s not bad to be "big".... :animwink:

darthdarrel

Originally posted by Maria
Inhale, exhale... inhale, exhale....
Get it out of your system Darrel! :sohappy:
It´s not bad to be "big".... :animwink:
Sorry Maria,but I get so tired of People thinking that wow he`s fat he must eat like a pig. Like I said I hardly eat at all cause I can`t because of my diabetes. Like today I had no breakfast,for lunch I had a turkey sandwich and water and for dinner I had a chicken breast and corn and that`s it.

Maria

Originally posted by darthdarrel
Sorry Maria,but I get so tired of People thinking that wow he`s fat he must eat like a pig. Like I said I hardly eat at all cause I can`t because of my diabetes. Like today I had no breakfast,for lunch I had a turkey sandwich and water and for dinner I had a chicken breast and corn and that`s it.

Sweetie, who cares of what people say?! Eat what you want and what you can! Just don´t worry too much about being "chubby"... as long as you are healthy, you are fine! If what bothers you is how thin your siblings are, do like I do with my thin and sporty sister.... think the clothes don´t really look that well in them! LOL :animwink:

cymbaldiva

My Lord!

This thread has me so disturbed that I'm not sure where to start!

I do not think that larger people should be made to buy 2 seats on an airplane or anywhere else...prehaps the airlines should realize how very small the seats currently are and make some changes ...isn't it against the law to discriminate?

Darthdarrel...eat breakfast! It's the 1st meal of the day that gets your metabolism started! :) Diet after your morning meal!

The hot coffee...if we're all refering to the same incident, didn't she spill it on herself? :confused:

The guy suing fast food chains because he's obese? ....Now THAT'S a total crock!! :lol:

I'm sure there's more... I'll remember once everyone gets cross with me about this post! :animwink:

Main Street USA

Originally posted by mamamage
because, yes, we as americans ARE overweight-its just a fact.

I was gonna stay away from this thread, but I had to respond to this one. Americans, statistically are big, but I hope you don't mean that like "thats just the way it is," because it certainly isnt the airline's fault, OR any fast food company's fault that people are fat.

Certainly there are people with disabilities that can't do anything about it, but to say that others can't help but be fat is ridiculous.

emmagata

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
My Lord!

This thread has me so disturbed that I'm not sure where to start!

I do not think that larger people should be made to buy 2 seats on an airplane or anywhere else...prehaps the airlines should realize how very small the seats currently are and make some changes ...isn't it against the law to discriminate?

I'm sure there's more... I'll remember once everyone gets cross with me about this post! :animwink:

Ok, I'll start.

Should small cars be made available with room for larger people?

How dare they *make*(discriminate?) someone buy a bigger car.

I knew someone who wasn't large (weight) and not overly tall (about 6'2") who bought a car that he couldn't sit straight up in.
His head hit the roof and he had to tilt it over to drive the car (kinda unsafe IMO). I said why did you buy this? He said it was cheap. It wasn't the cars makers fault that he didn't fit.

Different airlines have different size seats. Some smaller, some larger. On larger commercial aircraft, there is also usually room for someone in a wheel chair. I know that some people will only fly on certain airlines just for that reason. There's also first class.

It's not like there aren't other options for some who is large to travel. There's trains, planes and automobiles (I LOVE that movie!!) There's also ships for overseas travel.

How about some of the rides at WDW or US/IOA? They were designed to accommodate the majority of the population.
However, there are a few rides that I know of that do have one (or two) seats that will accommodate a larger person (I don't know what the max size these seats will accommodate though). But that doesn't mean that it's possible to design every ride to accommodate larger people.

And why didn't the husband sit next to his wife? It could be for several reasons. There were no more available adjoining seats, or, he was a large person too and knew that the two of them wouldn't fit side by side.

And where do you make the cut off point for just how large a person the airlines need to make room for? 300lbs? 400lbs?
7' tall? Could they put in a few seats in some airplanes that accommodate large people? Sure. That would be nice. But I don't think they're discriminating against larger people by not having them.

What if you're a larger person living in a town with a small airport with small planes that have really small seats and it's impossible to put a larger seat in. How would you like the airlines to address that situation?

I'm not trying to be a mean SOB about this but I don't think it's possible to be accommodating to everyone all the time.

Lilo

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
My Lord!

...prehaps the airlines should realize how very small the seats currently are and make some changes ...isn't it against the law to discriminate?

Darthdarrel...eat breakfast! It's the 1st meal of the day that gets your metabolism started! :) Diet after your morning meal!

The hot coffee...if we're all refering to the same incident, didn't she spill it on herself? :confused:

The guy suing fast food chains because he's obese? ....Now THAT'S a total crock!! :lol:

I'm with you on this one. Heaven forbid the airlines ever did anything for their passengers. The bigwigs need those bonuses.:D

There are those who can't help being overweight. No amount of dieting ever helps.

The hot coffee thing has got to be the biggest joke. Yeah I'll just put my hot coffee between my legs and drive:hammer:

Yeah blame McD for making me fat (I always order a Diet Coke with my Big Mac and Supersize fries):lol:

The Mom

Premium Member
Just for a point of reference...I read that the average width of an airline seat is 18 inches...the same as the standard computer keyboard or average kitchen chair. The cushions on my upholstered chairs/couches are 21 - 24 inches...that is a standard 3 cushion couch.

I am an "average, by US standards" size woman (size 14) and fit perfectly onto my 16 inch computer chair..about 1/2 inch of space left on each side...however,my arms would have to stay on my lap the whole trip to avoid touching my neighbor on a flight, if he or she were of average size. (my husband is rather thin, and my children are smaller than average, so flying isn't a major problem for us.)

Most people can still "fit" into the seats; very few are comfortable! ;) Heaven help me if someone over 200 lbs sits next to me...I don't have any room to spare, so he/she would be sitting on me!

tenchu

Originally posted by The Mom
Just for a point of reference...I read that the average width of an airline seat is 18 inches...the same as the standard computer keyboard or average kitchen chair. The cushions on my upholstered chairs/couches are 21 - 24 inches...that is a standard 3 cushion couch.

I am an "average, by US standards" size woman (size 14) and fit perfectly onto my 16 inch computer chair..about 1/2 inch of space left on each side...however,my arms would have to stay on my lap the whole trip to avoid touching my neighbor on a flight, if he or she were of average size. (my husband is rather thin, and my children are smaller than average, so flying isn't a major problem for us.)

Most people can still "fit" into the seats; very few are comfortable! ;) Heaven help me if someone over 200 lbs sits next to me...I don't have any room to spare, so he/she would be sitting on me!

Personally i find legroom to be the biggest problem.

I'm only 6'1", yet i have to sit bolt upright to be able to fit my legs into the space.

Not fun on a 8 hour flight.

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by Lilo

The hot coffee thing has got to be the biggest joke. Yeah I'll just put my hot coffee between my legs and drive:hammer:

The details of this case, as reported by the American Trial Lawyers Association can be found at www.lectlaw.com. The pertinent details are as follows:

1.The 79 year old plaintiff was NOT driving, she was a passenger

2.The driver had pulled forward and was stopped, while she put the cup between her knees to steady it while removing the lid

3.McDonald's coffee was routinely kept at approximately 180-190 degrees, with the warmer set at 185...home brewed coffee is usually 135 -140 degrees

4. She suffered 3rd degree burns (massive tissue destruction, sometimes to the bone) to 6% of her body and was hospitalized for 8 days for debridement, grafting, etc.

5. Had the coffe been kept at even 155 degrees or less, there would not have been more than 1st dgree burns (blisters)

6. There had been approx 700 previous claims about people being burned by McD coffee!

7. She originally sued for $20,000 to cover her out of pocket expenses; McD refused to settle

8.On appeal, the plaintiff was found to be 20% at fault, and her actual damages were reduced to 160,000 from 200,000. Punitive damages were reduced to $500,000.

mamamage

i just have to butt in with an apology about my flippant remark about blaming fast food for obesity.

i'm sorry, i did not mean to offend, i was really just trying to be funny (this happens a lot actually).............

no, i don't think that fat people are fat because they eat too much junk. I know this from experience in having two kids within a year & a half of each other and also because my husband's side of the family has slow metabolism and are large no matter what they eat. and i love them just the same! (actually i think i might love fat people more then skinny people-they certainly give better hugs!) but i do think it's really sad that they would be put in a position that makes it unbearable for them to travel (out of discomfort or shame)

the fast food comment came from a recent reading of "Fast Food Nation" and a not so recent reading of "Diet for a new america" where both books point out how the fast food industry is changing the way americans eat and look! yes, there are perfectly healthy people who are overweight BUT there are a lot more that are overweight because of high-priced marketing and laziness on the part of the fast food industry to supply us with ACTUAL REAL FOOD (not just fat, fat & fried fat)

add some video games & some great tv then throw in the fact that nobody really walks anywhere anymore. and no, i'm not blaming a lack of exercise either. In fact-I'm not blaming anyone at all.

Someimes I just try to be funny and it comes out all wrong (especially via messageboards)

so, carry on-my vote is with bigger airline seats, but we all know that ain't happenin because the airlines right now are just barely hanging on finacially. It's sort of like wanting disneyland to create better NEW attractions but knowing that they are trying to cut every corner now because of DCA.......

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by mamamage
i just have to butt in with an apology about my flippant remark about blaming fast food for obesity.

i'm sorry, i did not mean to offend, i was really just trying to be funny (this happens a lot actually).............

no, i don't think that fat people are fat because they eat too much junk. I know this from experience in having two kids within a year & a half of each other and also because my husband's side of the family has slow metabolism and are large no matter what they eat. and i love them just the same! (actually i think i might love fat people more then skinny people-they certainly give better hugs!) but i do think it's really sad that they would be put in a position that makes it unbearable for them to travel (out of discomfort or shame)

the fast food comment came from a recent reading of "Fast Food Nation" and a not so recent reading of "Diet for a new america" where both books point out how the fast food industry is changing the way americans eat and look! yes, there are perfectly healthy people who are overweight BUT there are a lot more that are overweight because of high-priced marketing and laziness on the part of the fast food industry to supply us with ACTUAL REAL FOOD (not just fat, fat & fried fat)

add some video games & some great tv then throw in the fact that nobody really walks anywhere anymore. and no, i'm not blaming a lack of exercise either. In fact-I'm not blaming anyone at all.

Someimes I just try to be funny and it comes out all wrong (especially via messageboards)

so, carry on-my vote is with bigger airline seats, but we all know that ain't happenin because the airlines right now are just barely hanging on finacially. It's sort of like wanting disneyland to create better NEW attractions but knowing that they are trying to cut every corner now because of DCA.......

Tis ok :)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If you think those seats are small try flying in a C130 thats fully laden and you have to sit with your legs between the person opposite in a zipper style. No chance of coffe burns infact more chance of frost bite as the heating is usually U/S. Oh and P in a bucket.

tenchu

Originally posted by happy snapper
If you think those seats are small try flying in a C130 thats fully laden and you have to sit with your legs between the person opposite in a zipper style. No chance of coffe burns infact more chance of frost bite as the heating is usually U/S. Oh and P in a bucket.

And thats first class!

You should see economy! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom