Ouch...

Al

Originally posted by DisneyExpert
LONDON, England -- A woman injured while squeezed next to an obese passenger on a trans-Atlantic flight has been given £13,000 ($20,000) by the airline.

Barbara Hewson, 63, was offered damages by Virgin Atlantic after suffering a blood clot, torn leg muscles and sciatica following a flight to Los Angeles in January 2001, the UK's Press Association reported.

She said the woman passenger was so large she had to sit with the arm rests up, but when she complained, the crew said there was nothing they could do as the plane was full.

Hewson, of Swansea, Wales, who still has medical treatment, was quoted by PA on Monday as saying: "It was never about the money. No money would pay for you having sleepless nights with the pain."

The freelance writer, who travelled with her husband Roy, 67, said she spent most of her holiday in bed. "It ruined the holiday. We went out very little."

Hewson added that half-way through the flight the woman asked if she was okay, saying to her: "I'm sitting on your lap."

"I had three sessions of sitting in the hostess seat and I stood for a little while," added Hewson.

Virgin Atlantic said in a statement: "This was an unprecedented set of extremely unfortunate circumstances.

"We have apologised to Mrs Hewson and offered her compensation, which she has accepted, and we are pleased that this has now reached a conclusion."

I heard about this story too. What I read, is that Virgin said to the woman "you can get off, and we will put you on an alternative flight".

If you put yourself in the airlines shoes, you cannot say to the woman "please get off, you are too large".

In my opinion they should of sorted out the situtation at check in, to save the hassle and discomfort later on.

cymbaldiva

It's just my opinion, but shouldn't airlines (and theatres, and buses, etc) just make the seats a bit larger?

Even if every single person were of what they define "average" height and weight, a full plane would still be packed like a tin of sardines!

Bad show...:(

darthdarrel

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
It's just my opinion, but shouldn't airlines (and theatres, and buses, etc) just make the seats a bit larger?

Even if every single person were of what they define "average" height and weight, a full plane would still be packed like a tin of sardines!

Bad show...:(
I agree with you 100%! I just saw on the news that 45% of the American population are classified as OBESE and that 25% are classified as just overweight! that is 70% of the american population is overweight!So why can`t the airlines take the hint ?:(

cymbaldiva

Thanks darthdarrel!

I was going to mention something about the % of overweight people in the US myself, only I couldn't remember the exact numbers!

Airlines, theatres, buses - they all need to get a clue!

CP17

Are you willing to pay a % increase equal to the % of width added to a seat. Most people want a larger seat for the same price (if not cheaper). It just doesn't work that way. If it cost $100 to fly ten people a certian distance, and you increase the width of your seat to accomdate one fat butt and you take out the other 9 seats. That fat butt now pays the whole $100. People are willing to pay the increase. It's the same old blame game. "It's not my fault that I'm overweight. I'll just blame everyone else: the airlines, the theaters, the amusement parks, etc."

darthdarrel

Originally posted by CP17
Are you willing to pay a % increase equal to the % of width added to a seat. Most people want a larger seat for the same price (if not cheaper). It just doesn't work that way. If it cost $100 to fly ten people a certian distance, and you increase the width of your seat to accomdate one fat butt and you take out the other 9 seats. That fat butt now pays the whole $100. People are willing to pay the increase. It's the same old blame game. "It's not my fault that I'm overweight. I'll just blame everyone else: the airlines, the theaters, the amusement parks, etc."
OMG! I am sick of this post allready! YEs! Some people are fat becuse they over eat,but what about the other people like me,I eat like a bird yet I am still over weight,no I`m not so overweight that I can`t fit in the seats,but they are so tight that even a skinny person is uncomfortable! I know cause My oldest brother is 5 ft. 8 yet he only weighs 140 pds. and he says they are uncomfortable.I don`t blame anyone but bad genes! BUt like I said Americans are fat,like it or not! when you have 75-80 percent of americans that are classified as overweight that is the majority of the population,so sorry to say you thin people are outnumbered!:mad:

GaryT977

Yup, we're outnumbered. But most planes in operation were built decades ago, and we weren't so outnumbered back then... ;)

cymbaldiva

Congrats CP17!

That is absolutely the most rude, obnoxious statement I've read on the boards in quite a long time.

I'm troubled now - I must take a moment....

CP17

Originally posted by darthdarrel
so sorry to say you thin people are outnumbered!:mad: [/B]

By the way, I'm 6'0" and weight 265 lbs. So I don't fit in the seats. But I'm not going to cry about. Good grief I fly from Atlanta to SE Asia at least once a year in coach. I put pillows in between my knees and the seat in front of me because when I sit down they are already smashed up against the back of the seat. Not to mention having to wedge myself in and pry myself out of the seat. My point is, as obnoxious as it may seem, is that when the airlines take out the seats to make more room, don't whine when you're paying more (a lot more) per seat. It's a business, and as long as we're willing to pay airline ticket prices as is and not take another mode of transportation, the airlines won't change their seats. Apologies to the offended, by the way my butt is fat too.:lol:

darthdarrel

My gripe is that the airlines forget one thing,The traveling people are their customersand how do you get repeat customers? by making them comfortable. Someone made a snide remark before about flying first class where the seats are wider and more comfortable,here`s the problem,I can`t afford it,infact I can`t afford to fly at all,thank god for my brother who is the one that always takes me to Disney world when we go! but being that he takes a group of people,this time he`s taking 10 people,so he can`t afford first class for 10 people!

cymbaldiva

Exactly!!! Thank you darthdarrel!!

DH and I don't fly because he's a pretty big guy and the seats are terribly uncomfortable for him.

Once again, perhaps businesses that transport people should consider making seats that will make their guests/customers more comfortable.

CP17...My butt is not fat and you still offend me :rolleyes:

Lilo

The day the airlines listen to customers and do what needs to be done - is the day I win Mega Millions:lol:

darthdarrel

Originally posted by Lilo
Hey I won $2. I got the Power Ball number:lol:
Well I`m winning the BIG one before you do!:p
And YEs Cymbaldiva,I definately think that the airlines need to widen the seats,but as was previously mentioned,The airlines will never listen to us!:(

Yellow Shoes

It is all about profit (Eisner has taught us that).

I just did a quick search for airfares for Midwest Express. Their "gimmick" is 2-across seats--more room and more pampering. They feed you on every flight, no matter how short.

From their website:
The MD-80 was built to have 172 seats.
That's why ours have 116.

Fewer people means higher fares.

From KC to Orlando on Midwest Express 1-10 to 1-17-03
$294

On Delta
$170

On American
$174

On AirTran
$187

This is a significant difference in price. Most people would rather save $120 per flight for the inconvenience of the sardine airlines.

As long as we put up with it, the airlines have no incentive to change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom