Ouch! New Universal Commerical Takes shot at Disney

JROK

TAC said:
Really?

So, you cannot see the Swan or Dolphin from Morocco in Epcot? You cannot see the cast parking lot when you are on TT and leave the building at 60 mph? You can't see some of the backstage areas when you are riding the WDW Railroad ? You cannot see many of the backstage areas, animal cages, and holding pens when you take the Wildlife Express train in AK ? You cannot see the Soarin' building behind Canada just about everywhere in WS? You didn't notice the cranes in plain view during EE construction ? I guess all those things must be part of WDW parks then.

LOL :lol: The sarcasm is great, but I revert back to the original post and agree with Disney's intentions on blocking out the "real" world as being a major difference between it and other theme or amusement parks in the world. But this just goes back to the whole, "Disney does Atmosphere and some Thrills" and "Universal does Thrills and some Atmosphere" ...

pluto77

First of all I don't like those kind of commercials. I like Pepsi better than Coke, but I hate all of the Pepsi adds that try to make Coke look inferior, Pepsi should be trying to make themselves look superior.

Secondly, I wanted to respond, saying I agree with this post.
TAC said:
And if people want "thrills and some atmosphere," then let them enjoy that. Don't (not you specifically) put a park down because that is where they (the park owners/operators) feel that they have a niche and they are capitalizing on that.

Just as someone likes vanilla ice cream, someone else likes chocolate. And many also like vanilla-chocolate swirl. :animwink:
I'm favorable to Disney, but each park is out for different things. Arguing about which park is better is kind of pointless. Disney is a family theme park with a few thrills. IOA is more of a thrill park with a theme, but that's okay because some people prefer that. I'll even throw Cedar Point Ohio in their. It's definitely a thrill park, but it's one of the best in it's league. Since different people like different things, it's kind of hard to compare the parks since their all perhaps the best in their league.

islandbeachnut

Disney doesn't need to resort to taking pot-shots at Universal Studios because it doesn't have to. Disney can show commercials advertising the reasons to vacation at Disney without resorting to reasons to stay away from Universal.

That speaks volumes. :king:

JROK

islandbeachnut said:
Disney doesn't need to resort to taking pot-shots at Universal Studios because it doesn't have to. Disney can show commercials advertising the reasons to vacation at Disney without resorting to reasons to stay away from Universal.

That speaks volumes. :king:

Again this whole 35 year headstart Disney had over Universal... yea...:hammer:

MSTINKHERBELL01

My 2 cents: I could care less about the commercials that Universal is running. To be honest it was kinda funny. I love Disney and like Universal visiting WDW 1x a month and Universal 1-2x a year. I'm not a huge thrill seeker by any means but I like adventure and Magic...Disney makes this complete for me and my family.

If Universal feels the need to down talk Disney....whatever.The Disney Fans will get a chuckle out of it...I know I did.:wave:

MeTa

I agree MSTINKHERBRLL01, I like Universal, I only go once every 4 trips to WDW. And the commercials are funny, they have to resort to cheap stabs at WDW because thier park is inferior. Nothing could take away from disney, not even low blow commercials.

MSTINKHERBELL01

MeTa said:
I agree MSTINKHERBRLL01, I like Universal, I only go once every 4 trips to WDW. And the commercials are funny, they have to resort to cheap stabs at WDW because thier park is inferior. Nothing could take away from disney, not even low blow commercials.

:sohappy: Great minds think alike!:lol:

Used2BePluto

Get A Life People!!!

Wow, I finally saw someone complain about the dueling ads here in Orlando. Face it, we are theme park central here in Orlando, and ya know what, Universal does not have this pixie dust identity crisis to worry about so they can flaunt that their parks are just that. Face it, Universal (as a whole) kicks MK's butt in fast and furious rides. Universal kicks WDW's butt in how they treat both their employees and their guests. Face it, if it was not for Universal, would mustaches be allowed in view of guests at WDW? Would better made character costumes have happened if not for how Universal RESPECTS the employee that marches around as Fivel (sp?) as opposed to how WDW treated the human wearing Mickey? Grow up. It is only an advertising campaign from a company that can afford to have an attitude, as opposed to one that worships the dollar supplied by a mouse and his friends. If you are sooooo upset and had feel that you have been offended by the idea that Universal could in fact be a better place for some people, don't visit Universal. Maybe Universal is kicking Disney's butt in more then just a couple of areas, why is Pleasure Island having to go through a major change of identity, gee, could it be that City Walk is just a better place?

Now, what I am about to type may just offend a few more people, but do you notice how in the resorts of either Universal or WDW that there is a difference in who is cleaning your rooms? Universal's partner Loews makes every attempt to hire people that, get this, SPEAK UNDERSTANDABLE ENGLISH. Try getting your maid at Disney to understand something as basic as extra towels, better be near their cart so you can actually show them what a towel is. I have stayed in all levels of Disney resorts, and never fails that the maids have no clue of the concept of English. Sure, at the Loews properties there are people who don't speakadaEnglish so well, but they are not in straight "line of sight" to the guests. Sure the dishwasher may have just gotten off the boat, but most likely you don't need to convey simple requests to them. BTW, yes, I have stayed at the Universal hotels also.

I did not mean for this to turn in to a Dennis Milleresque rant, but seriously people, it is only a friggin commercial. Get a thicker skin if you are so insulted that some company poked fun at Disney. Just to let you know, Mother Goose and Grimm comic strip have been doing it for over 20 plus years, and the Simpsons (not on Disney's ABC so you may not know about it) have been "rassing" the mouse since season one.

Have a wonderful day and enjoy the rest of your stay.
Mark (just figured we could get this thread back on topic, which is te Universal poking fun at Dinsey commercial and how it affected your life).

AndyMagic

Used2BePluto said:
...and the Simpsons (not on Disney's ABC so you may not know about it) have been "rassing" the mouse since season one.

One of my favorite Simpsons Disney put-downs is when the family visits Sideshow Bob in prison. Marge says she doesn't think prison is "a great place to bring the children", to which Lisa replies "It still beats Disney's California Adventure." :lol:

Then in a later episode... Homer promises to hide his fugitive mother "someplace where there's nobody for miles.... Disney's California Adventure!!!"

tnemgif

Wow...Used2BePluto...WHY DON"T YOU GET A LIFE!? Most of these people here are those who like WDW mch better than Universal, so I don't really seeing the point of just coming here only to put them all down...I do have to agree that WDW and Universal are different types of parks. I have been to both and Universal is NOT geared for kids/old people...cough, cough, ELDERLY people, lol. WDW prides itself in being a family park. So I agree with the commercial but I don't agree with you. If you just created a username so you could just tell everyone off and seriously insult some people then it is you who needs a life so please if you are going to just put down and lie about WDW (housekeeping not being able to speak English...I've never had this problem anywhere else except the oriental themed Universal hotel) on a WDW fan site...then I think most of us would be agreed that you are not wanted here. So thanks and have a nice day.

Michael72688

And if you have been to Universal lately is appears they are working, the parks are crazy right now. I know its spring break but I dont remember it being like this last year.

Used2BePluto

I love my life, but thanks for the offer drumbum...

drumbum67 said:
Wow...Used2BePluto...WHY DON"T YOU GET A LIFE!? Most of these people here are those who like WDW mch better than Universal, so I don't really seeing the point of just coming here only to put them all down...

Hate to beat a dead horse drumbum, but I love Disney, but not so fanatical that I can not admit that some other places even exist. I have been to Disney more this year alone then I went to Universal last year. I just think that this thread is so pointless and I was waiting to see how long it was before someone told me to get a life. I have a great one, think about it, I can go eat of some of the finest tourist oriented resturants in the world, can go to a theme park and ride one ride, get in my car drive 15 minutes, then go boating in my back yard. Yeah, I would say I have a life and am enjoying it. I am sorry drumbum if you do not enjoy your life so much, but we all choose the bed we sleep in and I can not stand people who claim that they can not find the job they want, if it isn't where you live, uh, one word, MOVE.

Have a wonderful day and enjoy your stay,
Anyone up for the buffet at Ankershus tonight, I need an aquavit.

Mark
lepowphoto.com

Used2BePluto said:
Now, what I am about to type may just offend a few more people, but do you notice how in the resorts of either Universal or WDW that there is a difference in who is cleaning your rooms? Universal's partner Loews makes every attempt to hire people that, get this, SPEAK UNDERSTANDABLE ENGLISH. Try getting your maid at Disney to understand something as basic as extra towels, better be near their cart so you can actually show them what a towel is. I have stayed in all levels of Disney resorts, and never fails that the maids have no clue of the concept of English. Sure, at the Loews properties there are people who don't speakadaEnglish so well, but they are not in straight "line of sight" to the guests. Sure the dishwasher may have just gotten off the boat, but most likely you don't need to convey simple requests to them. BTW, yes, I have stayed at the Universal hotels also.

You know these people that work there and speak no English work there because they have very limited options. What else is a person who doesn’t speak English going to do in this country not a whole lot (of course there’s always exceptions).I also think its great that Disney is giving these chances to these people with few alternatives(of course u can always say that these people will work for anything). I think u sound like a straight up jack%^&.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

comics101

ILLmaticS0ldier said:
You know these people that work there and speak no English work there because they have very limited options. What else is a person who doesn’t speak English going to do in this country not a whole lot (of course there’s always exceptions).I also think its great that Disney is giving these chances to these people with few alternatives(of course u can always say that these people will work for anything). I think u sound like a straight up jack%^&.ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

I'd just like to know why they don't learn to speak english? My grandmother lived in the depression era and she says that if you weren't born speaking english you had to learn it in order to get a job. People who don't learn it get me aggrivated.

Raven66

comics101 said:
I'd just like to know why they don't learn to speak english? My grandmother lived in the depression era and she says that if you weren't born speaking english you had to learn it in order to get a job. People who don't learn it get me aggrivated.

Wow! :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom