• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

OSCARS 2019

Princess Leia

Just updated the winners list. At the BAFTAs today, The Favourite really cleaned up (7 wins)... but the Best Picture went to Roma. Olivia Colman added another win, making the Best Actress race very contested, between her, Glenn Close, and Lady Gaga (if it goes to anyone else I'd be shocked). Rachel Weisz finally got a win, though she probably won't get the Oscar. Rami Malek got another win for Bohemian Rhapsody; I think it's safe to say he will probably get the Oscar. I don't think anyone else is competing with Mahershala Ali this season- he's adding another Oscar to his collection. Ditto for Alfonso Cuaron- pretty sure he's in a league of his own right now for Roma.

Vice is really seeming to be the one movie that probably got nominated for the acting. Outside of Christian Bale, it's not picking up a lot of hardware (though it did win for Best Editing at the BAFTAs today).

AJH219

Advertisement
Just updated the winners list. At the BAFTAs today, The Favourite really cleaned up (7 wins)... but the Best Picture went to Roma. Olivia Colman added another win, making the Best Actress race very contested, between her, Glenn Close, and Lady Gaga (if it goes to anyone else I'd be shocked). Rachel Weisz finally got a win, though she probably won't get the Oscar. Rami Malek got another win for Bohemian Rhapsody; I think it's safe to say he will probably get the Oscar. I don't think anyone else is competing with Mahershala Ali this season- he's adding another Oscar to his collection. Ditto for Alfonso Cuaron- pretty sure he's in a league of his own right now for Roma.

Vice is really seeming to be the one movie that probably got nominated for the acting. Outside of Christian Bale, it's not picking up a lot of hardware (though it did win for Best Editing at the BAFTAs today).
ASIB won for best original music (obviously). The greatest female musician of all time continues to make her haters seethe 🙅‍♂️💁‍♂️

Tony Perkis

BEST PICTURE:
Will Win: Roma
Should Win: BlacKKKlasman

BEST DIRECTOR:
Will win: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Should Win: Spike Lee, BlacKKKlasnman

BEST ACTOR:
Will Win: Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
Should Win: Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody or Christian Bale, Vice. Both were fantastic

BEST ACTRESS:
Will Win: Glenn Close, The Wife
Should Win: Olivia Colman, The Favourite

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Will Win: Maharshala Ali, Green Book
Should Win: Adam Driver, BlacKKKlasman or Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Will Win: Rachel Weisz, The Favourite
Should Win: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Will Win: BlacKKKlasman

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Will Win: The Favourite
Should Win: Vice

BEST ANIMATED FILM:
Will Win: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Should Win: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (my favorite film of 2018)

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
BEST PICTURE:

BEST DIRECTOR:
Will win: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Should Win: Spike Lee, BlacKKKlasnman

BEST ACTOR:
Will Win: Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
Should Win: Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody or Christian Bale, Vice. Both were fantastic

BEST ACTRESS:
Will Win: Glenn Close, The Wife
Should Win: Olivia Colman, The Favourite

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Will Win: Maharshala Ali, Green Book
Should Win: Adam Driver, BlacKKKlasman or Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Will Win: Rachel Weisz, The Favourite
Should Win: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Will Win: BlacKKKlasman

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:

BEST ANIMATED FILM:
Will Win: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Should Win: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (my favorite film of 2018)
I think you are spot on here, for the most part. The only thing I wonder about is Best Actor - I have a feeling they are going to throw it to Bale. But we shall see.

Tony Perkis

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN:
Should Win: First Man (most underrated film of 2018)

BEST MAKEUP:
Will Win: Vice
Should Win: Vice (easiest category)

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
Should Win: Mary Queen of Scotts

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:
Will Win: Avengers: Infinity War
Should Win: First Man

BEST EDITING:
Will Win: Green Book

BEST SOUND EDITING:
Will Win: Bohemian Rhapsody
Should Win: First Man

BEST SOUND MIXING:
Will Win: Bohemian Rhapsody
Should Win: Bohemian Rhapsody

Tony Perkis

I think you are spot on here, for the most part. The only thing I wonder about is Best Actor - I have a feeling they are going to throw it to Bale. But we shall see.
The BAFTA going for Malek is the big reason why I see him getting the Oscar. Though I would not be upset either way. This is the best collection in this category since 2001 (DDL vs. Jack vs. Adrian Brody).

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

Abstaining from documentary categories and short film categories. Seeing the short in front of Incredibles 2 doesn’t give me the credibility to respectfully award that category.

Tony Perkis

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
Will Win: Mary Poppins Returns
Should Win: Black Panther
*Honestly, this is a very weak year in this category

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
Will Win: Shallow, A Star is Born
Should Win: When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings, The Ballad of Buster Skruggs

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
Should Win: I’m cool with both Roma and Cold War.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
Will Win (During a stupid Honda ad): Roma
Should Win (During a Stupid Honda Ad): Roma

Tony Perkis

Abstaining from documentary categories and short film categories. Seeing the short in front of Incredibles 2 doesn’t give me the credibility to respectfully award that category.
I’m actually going to elaborate slightly. I refuse to acknowledge the documentary (feature) category because it doesn’t include either WON’T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR or THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS.

It’s like when THE LEGO MOVIE wasn’t nominated for Animated film. It taints the category.

Tony Perkis

Potential dark Horse upsets, and why:

PICTURE: Green Book (preferential ballotting advantage, which hurts Roma)

ACTRESS: Lady Gaga, A Star is Born (no other reason than star power)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Amy Adams, Vice (six nominations, yet no wins)

VISUAL EFFECTS: Ready Player One (Spielberg basically directed 2 films and his SFX team may be awarded for that)

Top Bottom