Osborne Lights Officially Returning for 2015 for 20th and Final Season

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Except this isn't an 100% negative thing. I love the lights and seeing them go is sad, but if getting rid of them is a sacrifice that brings new attractions that are good 24/7, 365 days a year rather than a completely useless, bland area that makes for a great light display two months a year, only in the evenings.

In total agreement. While I hate to see them go and was glad we got to see them again this year, I am totally psyched about what is coming in the near future to that area of DHS.

Now, if only the BAH would make a comeback, somewhere in the park.... ;)

Next Big Thing

You're failing to realize Disney can do whatever they want and they can easily relocate all the facades from SOA if they wanted to. Even build new ones or a completely new and improved area that incorporates other aspects that can be used year round. I'm sure they can figure out the logistics on their 27,000+ acres. Maybe if they figured out how to market their "Glow with the Show" ears properly during the event (still blows my mind, I can fix that in 1 day) they would be able to justify the expenditure. I and many others would be satisfied if we knew a display equal or better was eventually on the way. Saying "it's sad but..." is just justifying them removing something very few people wanted removed. You're also saying "good attractions" as if we know Toy Story land and Star Wars will be "good" We have little information about Star Wars and the info about toy story land is not very impressive at all. A slinky coaster and spinner ride? Ill take the lights 2 months of the year over that any day. If I'm the only one that feels this way I guess I'm wrong, but more people I have talked to lean toward my viewpoint than a positive one. It also makes it worse that many Disney fans including myself view this as not just a single bad decision but an addition to many others over the recent years. The straw that broke the camels back to me personally.
OK, time to slow your roll, tough guy.

We are gaining much more than we are losing here. The lights were only on about 3-4 hours a day for 2 months a year. We are gaining two confirmed lands, one that should be incredibly immersive, that will be open 365 days a year after opening. And no, Disney is not "Anti-Christmas" or else the Candlelight Processional wouldn't exist.

I understand you are upset in the wake of these going away, but you may want to calm down and think things through a bit more logically.

Last edited:

DisneyGuy81

We are gaining much more than we are losing here. The lights were only on about 3-4 hours a day for 2 months a year. We are gaining two confirmed lands, one that should be incredibly immersive, that will be open 365 days a year after opening. And no, Disney is not "Anti-Christmas" or else the Candlelight Processional wouldn't exist.

I understand you are upset in the wake of these going away, but you may want to calm down and think things through a bit more logically.
Tough guy? Slow my roll? I didn't know I wasn't entitled to my opinion on the direction Disney is going. Those 2 hours of light could light up a face across all ages quicker than any ride in that park, I've seen it happen time and time again. Does Disney have you so brainwashed that you don't realize we should have the largest Christmas light display around in addition to 2 new lands. Why do some of you continue to believe discontinuing these lights is the only answer. Because Disney said so? You are probably the same people that pay 70 bucks to eat a couple cupcakes in a "VIP" area or 99 bucks to take some pictures with characters that should be available to take pictures with for free with regular admission. They certainly keep adding more of these "premium" experiences.

Remember the days when characters were all around the park and you didn't have to wait an hour to get a picture? I do. I think they can afford to give us some more picture opps while they're at it. Let me remind you again, Disney can do whatever they want including relocate rebuild or repurpose other areas to keep this spectacle running year after year. What they have done is pull the plug on something that is very cherished by many. Until people make it known that this is not OK they will continue to give you the minimum and upsell you to high heavens. They probably got rid of Star Wars Weekends in preparation to upsell new Star Wars "premiums"

With the overcrowding that is continuing to occur these lands should have already been built and they should be focusing on plans for a 5th park already. They are trying to push passholders into blackout day passes because of the issue. Face the facts Disney's complacency has got them in a bind now and they are clamoring to catch up now all while making some poor decisions in the process. I always put Disney on a pedestal above Universal but if this trend continues it will be pretty funny when Disney's 50th anniversary parade is rained on by Universal opening their 3rd park.

Disney may not be "anti Christmas" but they certainly seem to have lost interest in it seeing their holiday offerings are becoming very sparse. Seaworld and Busch Gardens have as much Christmas in one park than Disney does at all 4 at this point. Trust me I hope Disney proves me wrong but it's not looking good folks. Maybe a good spin on the ol slinky dog coaster will cheer me up in 2026 when its finally finished.

Stitchon

Tough guy? Slow my roll? I didn't know I wasn't entitled to my opinion on the direction Disney is going. Those 2 hours of light could light up a face across all ages quicker than any ride in that park, I've seen it happen time and time again. Does Disney have you so brainwashed that you don't realize we should have the largest Christmas light display around in addition to 2 new lands. Why do some of you continue to believe discontinuing these lights is the only answer. Because Disney said so? You are probably the same people that pay 70 bucks to eat a couple cupcakes in a "VIP" area or 99 bucks to take some pictures with characters that should be available to take pictures with for free with regular admission. They certainly keep adding more of these "premium" experiences.

Remember the days when characters were all around the park and you didn't have to wait an hour to get a picture? I do. I think they can afford to give us some more picture opps while they're at it. Let me remind you again, Disney can do whatever they want including relocate rebuild or repurpose other areas to keep this spectacle running year after year. What they have done is pull the plug on something that is very cherished by many. Until people make it known that this is not OK they will continue to give you the minimum and upsell you to high heavens. They probably got rid of Star Wars Weekends in preparation to upsell new Star Wars "premiums"

With the overcrowding that is continuing to occur these lands should have already been built and they should be focusing on plans for a 5th park already. They are trying to push passholders into blackout day passes because of the issue. Face the facts Disney's complacency has got them in a bind now and they are clamoring to catch up now all while making some poor decisions in the process. I always put Disney on a pedestal above Universal but if this trend continues it will be pretty funny when Disney's 50th anniversary parade is rained on by Universal opening their 3rd park.

Disney may not be "anti Christmas" but they certainly seem to have lost interest in it seeing their holiday offerings are becoming very sparse. Seaworld and Busch Gardens have as much Christmas in one park than Disney does at all 4 at this point. Trust me I hope Disney proves me wrong but it's not looking good folks. Maybe a good spin on the ol slinky dog coaster will cheer me up in 2026 when its finally finished.

I think you really do need to calm down. I understand your passion, but the lights are gone. The fans have fought for plenty over the years. Worse things have happened, and at the very least, the replacement for the Streets of America looks to be worthwhile. It's unfair to throw around accusations and act as if anyone who doesn't support your viewpoint is automatically someone who blindly accepts (or is "brainwashed" into liking) whatever Disney throws at them.

DisneyGuy81

I think you really do need to calm down. I understand your passion, but the lights are gone. The fans have fought for plenty over the years. Worse things have happened, and at the very least, the replacement for the Streets of America looks to be worthwhile. It's unfair to throw around accusations and act as if anyone who doesn't support your viewpoint is automatically someone who blindly accepts (or is "brainwashed" into liking) whatever Disney throws at them.
Well please inform me what you have fought for and what is worse. I cant think of another attraction that people were so fond of that didn't return in some form. It's either you care or don't care about it going away. Some don't most do. To say I'll take the consolation prize is just rolling over. If anyone on the boards or elsewhere cares enough about the light they will make it known to Disney as myself and only then may action be taken. You don't get what you want without making it known what you want. Believe me Disney monitors all message boards and with an attitude like "well at least we are going to get something worthwhile" you'll never see any form of lights again. They dont want a PR nightmare. Calming down and accepting a displeasure never got anyone anywhere. You don't get what you don't ask for or even demand. I wouldn't be where I'm at in life if I always accepted what was put in front of me. The lights are only gone if I never see them in some form again before I'm in my grave.

raymusiccity

Agree. It will be interesting to see where all of the additional elements that Disney has added to the Osborne display end up.
image.jpeg

Homer fan

I heard Len Testa say on the WDW Today podcast from yesterday, that he was 100% sure the lights will be back in some form. He alluded to the street Andy lives on as part of the Toy Story Land and that as a possible future location for the lights, although they would no longer be called the Osborne lights.

Prince-1

Well please inform me what you have fought for and what is worse. I cant think of another attraction that people were so fond of that didn't return in some form. It's either you care or don't care about it going away. Some don't most do. To say I'll take the consolation prize is just rolling over. If anyone on the boards or elsewhere cares enough about the light they will make it known to Disney as myself and only then may action be taken. You don't get what you want without making it known what you want. Believe me Disney monitors all message boards and with an attitude like "well at least we are going to get something worthwhile" you'll never see any form of lights again. They dont want a PR nightmare. Calming down and accepting a displeasure never got anyone anywhere. You don't get what you don't ask for or even demand. I wouldn't be where I'm at in life if I always accepted what was put in front of me. The lights are only gone if I never see them in some form again before I'm in my grave.

You're my new favorite person on here.

DisneyGuy81

I heard Len Testa say on the WDW Today podcast from yesterday, that he was 100% sure the lights will be back in some form. He alluded to the street Andy lives on as part of the Toy Story Land and that as a possible future location for the lights, although they would no longer be called the Osborne lights.
This would be acceptable if done to the magnitude of the Osborne lights....why cant they just promise something like this?
All they have to say is something like this
"As most of our guests know we are currently moving in a different direction at HS in order to bring you immersive new experiences. While we understand the Osborne Lights have been a special part of the holidays at Disney for the past 20 years due to construction we will be unable to present a spectacle of this magnitude for the foreseeable future. While the unfortunate end of the Osbourne lights is inevitable we do realize the impact this will make to the current holiday experience at the WDW Resort. We would like to assure our guests we are already busy imagineering an all new experience that will immerse our guests in a holiday light and sound spectacle like never seen before. We appreciate your patience and we can't wait to share this new experience with you in the future. "

Do you see this Disney? Please feel free to contact me for employment as part of your PR team.

HauntedMansionFLA

This would be acceptable if done to the magnitude of the Osborne lights....why cant they just promise something like this?
All they have to say is something like this
"As most of our guests know we are currently moving in a different direction at HS in order to bring you immersive new experiences. While we understand the Osborne Lights have been a special part of the holidays at Disney for the past 20 years due to construction we will be unable to present a spectacle of this magnitude for the foreseeable future. While the unfortunate end of the Osbourne lights is inevitable we do realize the impact this will make to the current holiday experience at the WDW Resort. We would like to assure our guests we are already busy imagineering an all new experience that will immerse our guests in a holiday light and sound spectacle like never seen before. We appreciate your patience and we can't wait to share this new experience with you in the future. "

Do you see this Disney? Please feel free to contact me for employment as part of your PR team.
Well said

MissM

Maybe some of you remember when Disney used advertisements saying Mickeys Very Merry Party leaving out the word Christmas.
Uh no. And I don't think you do either. Heck, note the URL for cryin' out loud: MickeysChristmasParty.com (which they still own and still works FYI)

There is no war - Disney or otherwise - on Christmas. And as much as I will deeply miss the lights, thier ending has ZERO to do with "political correctness." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

...And in order to bring this BACK to reality, here's a shot from Sunday's original "final" night. As you can see the cold and rain meant very low crowds.
osborne-final-crowd.png

NearTheEars

Thanks at least someone appreciates my view.

Certainly understand your view. And hope you'd also understand the view that some of us have on this closing up shop. I loved the lights, and will miss them dearly, but some pretty awesome things are in the works right now for the park. Losing this experience to make way for some new ones isn't a deal breaker for me.

And for the record, ToT, RNRC and GMR do a pretty good job of putting a smile on my face every time we visit.

NearTheEars

Also, side note, are you calling a land dedicated to the wildly popular Star Wars franchise a consolation prize?
Maybe I just read that wrong.

DisneyGuy81

Uh no. And I don't think you do either. Heck, note the URL for cryin' out loud: MickeysChristmasParty.com (which they still own and still works FYI)

There is no war - Disney or otherwise - on Christmas. And as much as I will deeply miss the lights, thier ending has ZERO to do with "political correctness." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Oh I don't remember? Does this prove I do?
B1mvsr_CQAAKYWd.jpg
mvmcp-ad.jpg

This is both previous digital marketing and billboards used to promote the event leaving off the word Christmas.
While I never said it was the full reason for a removal of the lights (obviously we know there is construction being done) I do believe if and when the lights come back you wont see anything resembling the Osbornes religious themes return. Like I said I'm not even religious but I do believe they want to get some of the "Christmas" out of the "Holidays" Please don't say I don't know what I'm talking about when you have no clue what I mean. Ask me for proof which I now provided. Now please explain to me the reason for leaving out the word Christmas on these ads since you know Disney isn't making any attempt to be more PC. To me it was most likely a trial to see how people reacted. When people called them out they quietly removed the advertising. What other explanation is there? A mistake on various ads? I don't think so.

DisneyGuy81

Certainly understand your view. And hope you'd also understand the view that some of us have on this closing up shop. I loved the lights, and will miss them dearly, but some pretty awesome things are in the works right now for the park. Losing this experience to make way for some new ones isn't a deal breaker for me.

And for the record, ToT, RNRC and GMR do a pretty good job of putting a smile on my face every time we visit.

You obviously don't get it addition through subtraction doesn't work in this case.........The whole point is there is no reason we can't be promised replacement or relocation of the lights and also have Star Wars. There should be no choosing one or the other this is Disney where dreams supposedly come true. Your mentality is flawed. If you loved the lights dearly and will miss them why wouldn't you be taking my stance as we want our lights. Yes having just Star Wars is a consolation prize compared to having Star Wars and lights. If you believe this is the only option you are sadly mistaken. It's the easy way out in my opinion. So ToT puts a smile on your face as it does mine. If they were tearing that down would you stand for it? I sure the hell wouldn't. You either care about the lights or you don't really care about the lights. You seem to fall into the smaller latter group. Or are you part of the third group that wants to believe every decision made by the almighty Disney is for the best? Sorry but this one isn't.

Next Big Thing

You obviously don't get it addition through subtraction doesn't work in this case.........The whole point is there is no reason we can't be promised replacement or relocation of the lights and also have Star Wars. There should be no choosing one or the other this is Disney where dreams supposedly come true. Your mentality is flawed. If you loved the lights dearly and will miss them why wouldn't you be taking my stance as we want our lights. Yes having just Star Wars is a consolation prize compared to having Star Wars and lights. If you believe this is the only option you are sadly mistaken. It's the easy way out in my opinion. So ToT puts a smile on your face as it does mine. If they were tearing that down would you stand for it? I sure the hell wouldn't. You either care about the lights or you don't really care about the lights. You seem to fall into the smaller latter group. Or are you part of the third group that wants to believe every decision made by the almighty Disney is for the best? Sorry but this one isn't.
You seem to be unreasonable about what is only a seasonal offering in a terrible park.

I'm sorry that Disney is finally making an effort to improve the quality of DHS? I don't know what to tell you here.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Oh I don't remember? Does this prove I do?
View attachment 125636 View attachment 125637
This is both previous digital marketing and billboards used to promote the event leaving off the word Christmas.
While I never said it was the full reason for a removal of the lights (obviously we know there is construction being done) I do believe if and when the lights come back you wont see anything resembling the Osbornes religious themes return. Like I said I'm not even religious but I do believe they want to get some of the "Christmas" out of the "Holidays" Please don't say I don't know what I'm talking about when you have no clue what I mean. Ask me for proof which I now provided. Now please explain to me the reason for leaving out the word Christmas on these ads since you know Disney isn't making any attempt to be more PC. To me it was most likely a trial to see how people reacted. When people called them out they quietly removed the advertising. What other explanation is there? A mistake on various ads? I don't think so.
Lighten up, Francis.
Your passion is awesome. Execution, not so much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom