Orlando Thrill Park unveils 14 rides

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The I-Drive Trolley runs up and down I-Drive all day and night. That is where most of the major shopping along I-Drive. The Prime Outlet Malls is always packed. The Festival Bay Mall will be next door also. The parents will be shopping while the kids are on the rides. Especially at night I-Drive is very crowded, so they already have a built-in crowd with Hotels, restaurants, and shopping nearby.

You missed the point, It was stated earlier that Universal should have purchased the plot for expansion. My question was how would Universal guests access the property from Universal.

waltsfavrob

As other posters stated,this guy was in with HRP and Freestyle Park.When HRP opened,I told my wife this was nothing more than a tax write-off for the investors.This guy starts another company to buy HRP after HRP went bankrupt.I told DW another tax write-off.We went 1 time to Freestyle got half off with local discount and thought while we were there...you've got to be kidding.:eek:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
You missed the point, It was stated earlier that Universal should have purchased the plot for expansion. My question was how would Universal guests access the property from Universal.

Universal had owned 2,000 acres of Lockheed Martin property until a few years ago when they sold off most of it. That property would not have been adjacent either.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Universal had owned 2,000 acres of Lockheed Martin property until a few years ago when they sold off most of it. That property would not have been adjacent either.

And it wasn't open to Universal guests as an expansion plot either.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
And it wasn't open to Universal guests as an expansion plot either.

I'm not sure of your point...it was going to be open to guests as soon as they developed the land...but since attendance wasn't what they expected, and then 9/11 happened, I think that's what did it

The_CEO

there is a reason you don't find parks that exclusively have rides like this in FL--every time there is a thunderstorm (so every afternoon from June thru the end of September), the entire park will need to close since there won't be any shows or dark rides for guests to ride.

Sounds like a weekend at Cedar Point with wind!!

Pete C

As other posters stated,this guy was in with HRP and Freestyle Park.When HRP opened,I told my wife this was nothing more than a tax write-off for the investors.This guy starts another company to buy HRP after HRP went bankrupt.I told DW another tax write-off.We went 1 time to Freestyle got half off with local discount and thought while we were there...you've got to be kidding.:eek:

So, the guy creates companies to get investors and open theme parks, then gets a tax write-off when they go bankrupt? I didn't realize this guy is the same who developed HRP. I thought it was group that bought HRP and renamed it to Freestyle. If they are one and the same, then that is just plain bizzare and makes no sense. How can you own a property, then go bankrupt, then start another company to buy the property that you just went bankrupt with?

Monsterfan99

^If you look further into the story, it wasn't for a tax write off. Some day there will be a college style study/book on Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park story.

DisneyMusician2

You've got a point, but none of the coasters proposed for this site are on the epic scale that Busch Gardens, and Sea World, for that matter, build theirs on. If the terrain-following Cheetaka or whatever they're calling it now is as good as I think it's going to be, word of mouth should keep Busch Gardens Tampa in great shape for a long time.

Still, this place looks awesome. I'm a little wary of how fun it would be though. I'm a huge coaster buff, but I likes my theming too. Surely they're going to have creative names and paint schemes for these things, and a tree or two to make this place livable. A parking lot full of rollercoasters and queue switchbacks can't be a fun place to spend more than an hour.

Then again, maybe that's their business model. Park for $20, pay $50 to get in, ride everything once and maybe buy a $5 coke and get out. Works for me, if I'm doing Sea World or something for half the day.

For the up-front cost and the need to shut pretty much the whole park every time there is lightning, I don't see how they could stick anywhere near that price point.

But it would be at least a partial draw if they could bring it in cheap enough to draw people away for a day. Sesame Place up here in the northeast, which is a BIG local kids draw, is $53 for a full day ticket, and that is with a much larger and diverse draw. I don't know if the park could draw enough to make up for its limited scope at that low daily.

Monsterfan99

^Maybe it's just me, but the pay one price might not be the way they go. I'm sure there are families that would give the teens 20 bucks to ride a few rides while they hit the outlets for an hour. Charge the Fun Spot/Las Vegas ride prices of $7-$15 each ride with a POP option is a win-win.

waltsfavrob

^If you look further into the story, it wasn't for a tax write off. Some day there will be a college style study/book on Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park story.
There was a timetable for HRP to get new investors before they went bankrupt. A Saudi investor put that timetable up so he could write off his losses BEFORE HRP filed for bankruptcy to get his money back. It was reported in the Sun News in Myrtle Beach before Freestyle was even mentioned.

waltsfavrob

So, the guy creates companies to get investors and open theme parks, then gets a tax write-off when they go bankrupt? I didn't realize this guy is the same who developed HRP. I thought it was group that bought HRP and renamed it to Freestyle. If they are one and the same, then that is just plain bizzare and makes no sense. How can you own a property, then go bankrupt, then start another company to buy the property that you just went bankrupt with?
Basically yes.It was 2 men from Myrtle Beach that was on the board for HRP and while HRP was failing,they started an LLC when HRP filed for bankruptcy to buy out the park and had to change the theming to not get sued by Hard Rock Corp. for using any logos or theming. Now BMW is suing them for using Mini Cooper style cars on a coaster.:rolleyes:

waltsfavrob

So yeah,Orlando better watch out for these guys.They'll leave you with a amusement park wasteland.Experts are saying the salt air in Myrtle Beach is already deteriorating all the rides at Freestyle.:(

DarthGrady

It sounds over-ambitious to me...and there is a reason you don't find parks that exclusively have rides like this in FL--every time there is a thunderstorm (so every afternoon from June thru the end of September), the entire park will need to close since there won't be any shows or dark rides for guests to ride. While the idea of a thrill-ride-only park sounds fun, it belongs in a drier climate. The fact that Six Flags and Cedar Fair have steered clear of FL should tell OTP's developers something. Best of luck to them, however. Any competition is a good thing--might make Disney build an E-ticket or two...

Mighty fine point made here ^^^^

Monsterfan99

There was a timetable for HRP to get new investors before they went bankrupt. A Saudi investor put that timetable up so he could write off his losses BEFORE HRP filed for bankruptcy to get his money back. It was reported in the Sun News in Myrtle Beach before Freestyle was even mentioned.
My post goes more towards the fact the entire park was built as a cover recover losses from the mall that was there before. After that the entire situation was a cluster of lying and lawbreaking.

Alektronic

Original Poster
It sounds over-ambitious to me...and there is a reason you don't find parks that exclusively have rides like this in FL--every time there is a thunderstorm (so every afternoon from June thru the end of September), the entire park will need to close since there won't be any shows or dark rides for guests to ride. While the idea of a thrill-ride-only park sounds fun, it belongs in a drier climate. The fact that Six Flags and Cedar Fair have steered clear of FL should tell OTP's developers something. Best of luck to them, however. Any competition is a good thing--might make Disney build an E-ticket or two...

I think weather will be the least of their concerns. First, There isn't a thunderstorm EVERY afternoon in the summer. It doesn't even rain everyday.Even when it does rain, there isn't any lightning. And even when there is a thunderstorm, it only lasts a hour or two.And the nights are usually pretty niceand calm.

But comparing it to part-time parks like Cedar Point, which is closed for more than half a year, maybe operating for 140 days out of 365. The climate here allows it to be open 365 days a year. And Ohio has their share of thunderstorms also.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think weather will be the least of their concerns. First, There isn't a thunderstorm EVERY afternoon in the summer. It doesn't even rain everyday.Even when it does rain, there isn't any lightning. And even when there is a thunderstorm, it only lasts a hour or two.And the nights are usually pretty niceand calm.

You're serious? In summer it practically does rain daily and Central Florida gets more lightning than anywhere else in the U.S.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom