Orlando High Speed Rail IS DEFINITE

Status
Not open for further replies.

njDizFan

Sorry, friend. That's not a high-speed train. That's a regular, plain old train. Increasing a train from 125mph to over 200mph increases energy consumption (and CO2 emissions) by NINETY (90) percent. From YOUR very own website:

Sleeper trains across France to Italy, Spain or the south of France may have fewer passengers per car than a high-speed train such as Eurostar, but on the other hand they travel at only 100mph or less and so use far less energy than a power-hungry 186mph high-speed train.

Research fail.
I apologize, also these numbers are based on France's nuclear power over US coal plants.

Please add a link supporting your numbers

tizzo

I apologize, also these numbers are based on France's nuclear power over US coal plants.

I'm sure they also assume full trains, or at least trains that aren't empty.

As has been made clear by opponents of the Orlando/Tampa route, including both me and governor Scott, if anyone was going to ride this thing we'd be in favor of it, because it would generate enough revenue to cover operations and to amortized capital costs. You could make up some of the environmental benefits by running trains only a few times a week, infrequently enough that they are less empty. However these are commuter distances, and if you don't run at least round trip each morning and evening, you eliminate almost all your potential customers from the pool of riders.

Not that you could get away with running trains just when they're full anyway, because conditions of the grant require a certain volume of trains, meaning that the state could quite literally have to run empty trains back and forth to prevent defaulting on the grant, and having to pay back the entire $2.4B.

fillerup

Since the environmental issue has come up here, I think the final 2005 Environmental Impact Statement from the Federal Railroad Administration is germane.

Relative to that report:

In 2005, Florida's High-Speed Rail Authority proposed a 125-mph rail line between Tampa and Orlando. The environmental impact statement for the proposal estimated that the trains would produce more nitrogen oxide pollution and volatile organic compounds than would be saved by the automobiles taken off the road. It also calculated that operating and maintaining the gas-turbine locomotives would consume 3.5 to 6.0 times as much energy as would be saved by the cars replaced.

The statement concluded that "the environmentally preferred alternative is the No Build Alternative" because it "would result in less direct and indirect impact to the environment."

For anybody who wants to wade through the complete report:

FRA EIS

fillerup

Not that you could get away with running trains just when they're full anyway, because conditions of the grant require a certain volume of trains, meaning that the state could quite literally have to run empty trains back and forth to prevent defaulting on the grant, and having to pay back the entire $2.4B.

The Fla High Speed Rail Commsion states on their website that trains would run hourly, at a minimum.

Captain Neo

disney was supplying some ground for a station around I-4 and 192
also this i just found

Senators Joyner, Altman sue Scott over high-speed rail
The proposed bullet train between Tampa and Orlando is making a temporary stop at the Florida Supreme Court in Tallahassee.

Two state senators — Arthenia Joyner, D-Tampa, and Thad Altman, R-Melbourne, filed a lawsuit Tuesday to keep Gov. Rick Scott from killing the $3 billion project.

The suit alleges that Scott has violated the state Constitution by refusing to abide by the wishes of the Legislature and former Gov. Charlie Crist to accept $2.4 billion in federal funding for the project.

Read more: Senators Joyner, Altman sue Scott over high-speed rail | Tampa Bay Business Journal
read more here
http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2011/03/01/senators-joyner-altman-sue-scott-over.html

Theres hope for this state yet!

lazyboy97o

Theres hope for this state yet!
If Florida wants this then the state should vow to never take another dollar of federal money to subsidize the operation of this train beyond this initial funding. If Florida wants it, they should pay for it (something they have not been willing to do) and not the rest of us.

JungleTrekFan

It also calculated that operating and maintaining the gas-turbine locomotives would consume 3.5 to 6.0 times as much energy as would be saved by the cars replaced.

Gas-turbine locomotives is only one option for a high speed train. There are many diffrent engine types to choose from, from electric to deisel to hybrid engines each with diffrent environmental impacts, directly and indirectly in the case of electric and some hybrids.

Also i said the federal money helped create jobs, i never said that the government was paying for people to get paid for the next 20 years. Its not up to the government to give people jobs to make a living. It was necessary for the government to help reassure companies that they would make it through the recession and for state and local governments to help move forward infrastructure projects that would create jobs (not permanent jobs, but jobs none the less).

I wouldn't complain about federal spending for a rail project when the government wastes 35 billion dollars giving huge tax credits to large oil companies that, seeing as they are the most profitable companies in the world, do not need economic help.

wizards8507

It was necessary for the government to help reassure companies that they would make it through the recession and for state and local governments to help move forward infrastructure projects that would create jobs (not permanent jobs, but jobs none the less).

There's so much wrong with that statement that I don't know where to begin. There's a principle that every Principles of Economics student learns two days after getting the syllabus: "moral hazard." Basically, the principle states that individuals and organizations act differently when they're insulated from risk. If you're insulated from risk by the government, what's stopping you from making stupid, risky decisions? Without the risk or possibility of collapse, there's no reason for companies not to screw around and gamble with their decision.

tizzo

The Fla High Speed Rail Commsion states on their website that trains would run hourly, at a minimum.

Probably derived from the grant terms. In any case, the more trains you run, the fewer passengers will be on each, and the more money and energy you waste (and net increase in pollution you generate).

tizzo

If Florida wants this then the state should vow to never take another dollar of federal money to subsidize the operation of this train beyond this initial funding. If Florida wants it, they should pay for it (something they have not been willing to do) and not the rest of us.

Florida does not want this. Thus Scott's rejection of the grant, and this debate.

Wilt Dasney

Florida does not want this. Thus Scott's rejection of the grant, and this debate.
Unless there's been some public opinion polling on the issue, I'm not sure how you can make such a definitive statement based on the actions of one elected official.

Granted, Scott was elected by voters statewide, but did he explicitly campaign on killing the rail? I'm guessing he didn't, since this move came as such a surprise to so many.

njDizFan

Unless there's been some public opinion polling on the issue, I'm not sure how you can make such a definitive statement based on the actions of one elected official.

Granted, Scott was elected by voters statewide, but did he explicitly campaign on killing the rail? I'm guessing he didn't, since this move came as such a surprise to so many.
Ah yes, one of the downfalls of representitive democracy. We have very little say in the way the government is run besides electing the officials who will hopefully make the decisions we want them to.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Florida voters originally voted for high speed rail in 2000 and then repealed that decision in 2003. That is about as official as a poll can get.

HSR sounds futuristic and $exy on paper but looses its luster when the numbers begin to roll in.

tizzo

There's so much wrong with that statement that I don't know where to begin. There's a principle that every Principles of Economics student learns two days after getting the syllabus: "moral hazard." Basically, the principle states that individuals and organizations act differently when they're insulated from risk. If you're insulated from risk by the government, what's stopping you from making stupid, risky decisions? Without the risk or possibility of collapse, there's no reason for companies not to screw around and gamble with their decision.

Actually that's probably at least partially the point.

Consider that the government - throughout history, but to an unusually greater degree very recently - has created an environment in which it is stupid, risky, and reckless to increase payrolls in any meaningful way. There are specific laws now on the books, for example, that could swing the cost of employing someone by tens or hundreds of percent in either direction, depending on implementation details that are left mainly to individual bureaucrats at their personal discretion. Given these facts, expanding payrolls for most employers would not only be unwise, but potentially actionable (corporate executives have legally binding responsibilities to their shareholders).

The natural (and since it was widely predicted, I think it's fair to say predictable) result is "stubbornly" (as if they've been trying their best to bring it down but it just won't listen) high unemployment, even in the face of slow to moderate economic growth. And politically, high unemployment is always bad for the party in power.

So the point of federal stimulus in general, including but by no means limited to FL and other rail projects, is to try to coax companies into doing something that they otherwise would not - because they should not - do, which is to hire people. In other words, it's the intentional introduction of moral hazard.

Now, there is at least a case to be made in favor of this when (a) the federal government can afford it, and (b) the need is caused by factors which are cyclical, temporary, or due to a problem which has been or is in the process of being fixed - in other words where stimulus can stop something bad from happening short term, and will eventually become unnecessary due to the natural and expected actions of the market. Stimulus is inefficient, but sometimes preferable to the alternative, and therefore acceptable in the short term.

The big problem here is that in this case, the dip is the direct result of intentional changes to the economy that those in political power show no signs of wanting to fix, let alone fixing. So under these conditions, stimulus at best delays the inevitable.

tizzo

Florida HSR was initiated via a voter referendum. It passed the first time. The ballot initiative process was later changed to require certain disclosures that were omitted in that first go around, and it was brought up again. This time it was defeated. And that was at a time when the state of FL was relatively flush with cash.

I don't know of any more recent polling, but as someone else said, this was official, and about as definitive as you can get.

tizzo

Florida voters originally voted for high speed rail in 2000 and then repealed that decision in 2003. That is about as official as a poll can get.

HSR sounds futuristic and $exy on paper but looses its luster when the numbers begin to roll in.

And that was exactly the difference between 2000 and 2003, numbers. The 2000 ballot initiative came before a state constitution change requiring economic impact disclosures with such initiatives.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

Didn't a Harris Poll recently show that 70% of Floridians are in favor of High Speed Rail?

Or am I mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom