Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

Casper Gutman

Ah yes, 2008. A legendary time for Disney quality and profitability. Nothing but hits.

From Bolt to Beverly Hills Chihuahua, that year was peak Disney.
And before that horrible albatross, the MCU, got tied around their neck. What a burden! I mean, sure, GotG3 has legs that ZZ Top could sing about, but who really wants a movie about a cartoon racoon?

Just look - Disney ONLY has three of the five top grossing films so far in 2023. Embarrassing.

Mmoore29

We got a player in here making waves…I admire the game though 😎

But seriously…We know that Disneys problems are many and that they all lead back to Robert Iger…I’ll accept written apologies to everyone who didn’t listen when it was going south years ago. When someone shows you who they are…believe them.

Well did they say “Disney parks” on them? Because things have never been the same since that con artist Rasulo did that 😡
Alan Horn would've been the one who would've caused a new Disney Dark Age, not Iger. And Horn is gone. Gone. The bad man is gone. Chapek's gone, Daniel's gone. Stability is back. And the fundamentals are just fine.

Disney's got a lot of upside from here, and it's going to get better.

Funny you use that Maya Angelou quote but don't actually follow it. Iger has shown us who he is since he entered the company, as a great, calming influence that spurs growth. I believe him.

Mmoore29

Oh, I know. But Disney is hardly the only company whose employees lean left. If the state is unhappy about attracting businesses that employ a lot of Democrats (the horror!) why are they offering such generous incentives for companies to do just that?

And clearly, given the incentives, the state recognized and appreciated the economic benefits, otherwise the project wouldn’t have been eligible for incentives.

Now, I don’t necessarily think the cancellation of the project was incited by DeSantis but the DeSantis team’s spin isn‘t logical. If the project wasn’t cancelled they would’ve pointed to it and said “Look at all the jobs! Even with our war with Disney, the company still thinks Florida is more business friendly than California.”
Disney's executives lean right. Iger is very much a libertarian. Disney's executives are not a hivemind. Since Eisner's day, Disney donates equally to both parties. The only person who made Disney "lean left" was Harvey, and he's been gone since 2005. So no, Disney is not "left" by any means.

WDWFanRay

Disney's executives lean right. Iger is very much a libertarian. Disney's executives are not a hivemind. Since Eisner's day, Disney donates equally to both parties. The only person who made Disney "lean left"
Iger was considering a run for president as a democrat, so I don’t know the “very much libertarian” moniker fits him, and as for Disney the company, it’s a California Hollywood/Burbank entertainment studio and as such politically aligns left with the rest of Hollywood.

Getachew

It's laughable that some are blaming DeSantis for this decision by Disney, announced on the same day that the Starcruiser Hotel was cancelled. Obviously, both decisions were made because of financial reasons. Funny how some people can't seem to put two and two together. Although a lot of the palaver is based on political views, rather than reason...

That "some people" blaming DeSantis includes the leader of the Republican Party, Donald Trump, who is currently leading DeSantis by like 40+ in the polls.

DeSantis has gained absolutely nothing from any of this other then losing to Donald Trump, lol.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Just what tax breaks did RC bring to Disney? Do you realize the creation of RC basically means Disney is taxed extra paying taxes to both the counties at full rate plus taxes to RC
Disney charges NOTHING if a child is under 3 and children 3-9 one price and adults a higher price all dependent on tickets date(s) and levels
Those here that are upset about the actions taken by the state/governor are mostly upset about how and why retaliatory action was taken against Disney
As we've discussed ad nauseam, I think Florida's actions here are unjustifiable and illegal, however, the ability to issue municipal bonds to fund what I consider to be private infrastructure projects is absolutely a tax break.

Heppenheimer

Here's the response from the office of the Governor on the cancellation of the Lake Nona project.

View attachment 717197
Remember when we had adults in the room who instead would say things like "We are disappointed that Disney has changed their mind about this exciting opportunity for growth in Florida, we appreciate their consideration and look forward to partnering with them again on future projects."

CaptainAmerica

What private infrastructure would that be?
We don't need to rehash this.

The roads and utilities at Walt Disney World ought to be considered, in my opinion, private infrastructure, as they exist for the (almost) exclusive benefit of The Walt Disney Company. I know some locals have shared that they drive through property sometimes when they're not visiting WDW, but I consider that ancillary and de minimis.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We don't need to rehash this.

The roads and utilities at Walt Disney World ought to be considered, in my opinion, private infrastructure, as they exist for the (almost) exclusive benefit of The Walt Disney Company. I know some locals have shared that they drive through property sometimes when they're not visiting WDW, but I consider that ancillary and de minimis.
Seeing Disney doesn't own those roads wouldn't they then be the responsibility of the counties? I'm not sure I'd have an issue dissolving the district but either way the roads would be maintained using municipal bonds and if dissolved Disney would then only have to pay taxes to the counties therefore increasing taxes to the residents and other businesses of said counties

UNCLEROY

Remember when we had adults in the room who instead would say things like "We are disappointed that Disney has changed their mind about this exciting opportunity for growth in Florida, we appreciate their consideration and look forward to partnering with them again on future projec

Lilofan

It's laughable that some are blaming DeSantis for this decision by Disney, announced on the same day that the Starcruiser Hotel was cancelled. Obviously, both decisions were made because of financial reasons. Funny how some people can't seem to put two and two together. Although a lot of the palaver is based on political views, rather than reason...
So you are saying that Iger and D'Amaro flat out lied to the world when both explained why the Lake Nona project was cancelled? Sorry, I don't buy the DeSantis false narrative on the matter.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney is struggling due to a huge drop in quality across the business. Everyone knows this is not the Disney of 15 years ago. The DeSantis thing is just a convenient excuse for a company that is struggling financially
15 year ago, in 2008, Disney put out these high quality gems:

College Road Trip​
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian​
Beverly Hills Chihuahua​
High School Musical 3: Senior Year​
Bedtime Stories​
Bolt​

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Great, so your saying they're going to use it all to buy out Comcast?
They *may* take out a bridge loan so as not to leave a zero balance in their checking account.

Or, all the price-raising with D+, all the layoffs, all the content write-offs, and with all their parks and cruise ships up and running, there may be enough extra spare cash to not have to take out a loan.

Last quarter alone TWDC had over a billion dollars in net profit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom