Orange/Green Team - Stanza XIII: The Carnival of the Animators

Voxel

President of Progress City
Three submissions this round: Team Omega, Team Orange/Green, and Team notVoxel

;P
Don't Worry Team Voxel for life :p

Agreed with both. Good issues to raise. Just Hollywood is very limiting, so we go with a "movie set which comes to life" approach like done with Star Tours. But - and I'm thinking out loud here - could we make the idea broader?

Gonna use Star Tours and the Indy Stunt Show as an example. Could we transform the entire area around these to be an immersive Star Wars Land? Basically, Galaxy's Edge but 20 years early. Entering this land from the Hollywood Boulevard area, there's a transition bit where guests pass through a studio soundstage where they're simply filming Star Wars. Slowly they enter Tatooine itself, and the entire land becomes the real deal, no more Hollywood. So within this land, Star Tours becomes an actual spaceport, the Indy Stunt Show becomes instead say a stunt show around Jabba's Palace, and around 2001 we add a Pod Race thrill ride to round it all out.

Other franchises which need immersive lands can get the same treatment. But alongside that we have several Hollywood-themed lands. What other IPs in the late-90's could yield whole lands?

Hollywood themed lands:
Hollywood Blvd. (entry area, GMR, stays the same)
Sunset Blvd. (TOT, otherwise add to that with more glitz and glamour)
Maroon Studios (Roger Rabbit land, film studio for all the Disney cartoon characters, can be our Fantasyland)
Griffith Hills (celeb mansions, Griffith Observatory, a green space which DHS needs, can include 40's IPs like Rocketeer, Indy, etc.)
Chinatown (vintage noir L.A. can host Richard Tracy's Crimestoppers, + an original ride based around Chinese culture/myth a-la Big Trouble in Little China, even "on location" film shoots)
So something very Lion, Witch and the Wardrope where you walk into the land. I really like this idea and provides extremely CLEAN transitions from miniland to miniland.

Voxel

Agreed with both. Good issues to raise. Just Hollywood is very limiting, so we go with a "movie set which comes to life" approach like done with Star Tours. But - and I'm thinking out loud here - could we make the idea broader?

Gonna use Star Tours and the Indy Stunt Show as an example. Could we transform the entire area around these to be an immersive Star Wars Land? Basically, Galaxy's Edge but 20 years early. Entering this land from the Hollywood Boulevard area, there's a transition bit where guests pass through a studio soundstage where they're simply filming Star Wars. Slowly they enter Tatooine itself, and the entire land becomes the real deal, no more Hollywood. So within this land, Star Tours becomes an actual spaceport, the Indy Stunt Show becomes instead say a stunt show around Jabba's Palace, and around 2001 we add a Pod Race thrill ride to round it all out.

Other franchises which need immersive lands can get the same treatment. But alongside that we have several Hollywood-themed lands. What other IPs in the late-90's could yield whole lands?

Hollywood themed lands:
Hollywood Blvd. (entry area, GMR, stays the same)
Sunset Blvd. (TOT, otherwise add to that with more glitz and glamour)
Maroon Studios (Roger Rabbit land, film studio for all the Disney cartoon characters, can be our Fantasyland)
Griffith Hills (celeb mansions, Griffith Observatory, a green space which DHS needs, can include 40's IPs like Rocketeer, Indy, etc.)
Chinatown (vintage noir L.A. can host Richard Tracy's Crimestoppers, + an original ride based around Chinese culture/myth a-la Big Trouble in Little China, even "on location" film shoots)
Also I always loved the idea of a grittier LA Noire style attraction at Disney. I think you could have a lot of fun with this concept. I know we have had a few ppl try to impliment D. Tracy in the resorts though typically in Magic Kingdom.

mickeyfan5534

Also I always loved the idea of a grittier LA Noire style attraction at Disney. I think you could have a lot of fun with this concept. I know we have had a few ppl try to impliment D. Tracy in the resorts though typically in Magic Kingdom.
Can we go more pulpy? The Rocketeer and Indiana Jones and stuff like that? Have we ever seen a full pulp adventure Boy's Own serial land?

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Don't Worry Team Voxel for life :p

So something very Lion, Witch and the Wardrope where you walk into the land. I really like this idea and provides extremely CLEAN transitions from miniland to miniland.
Like a soundstage, but once you enter in just opens into the world of the movie being filmed. That could be amazing.

I'm not entirely sold on Star Wars Land being realistic 20 years before Disney owned Star Wars. But I'm not against it, cuz I do love Star Wars.

Voxel

Like a soundstage, but once you enter in just opens into the world of the movie being filmed. That could be amazing.

I'm not entirely sold on Star Wars Land being realistic 20 years before Disney owned Star Wars. But I'm not against it, cuz I do love Star Wars.
Well we are dealing with a period right when the Prequels were coming out so I think there could be enough traction and Star tours would be 10 years old at that point so it would be nice.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Well we are dealing with a period right when the Prequels were coming out so I think there could be enough traction and Star tours would be 10 years old at that point so it would be nice.
That's a good point. Tattoine with a Pod Racing ride, a Cantina, and a Most Esly Space Sport Star Tours could be amazing and tie in the best parts of the original trilogy and the prequels.

Also, I am well aware I misspelled every part of that haha

DisneyFan18

Serious question, what ear we doing with Fantasmic? I believe someone mentioned it wasn't opened by that time, so are we going to use than expansion pad for something else? Or we're keeping it and maybe creating a land around it?

Also, maybe we can add Mary Poppins? Somewhere in the park? Maybe a mini land with Jolly Holiday and a carousel? Or Jolly & a musical?

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Serious question, what ear we doing with Fantasmic? I believe someone mentioned it wasn't opened by that time, so are we going to use than expansion pad for something else? Or we're keeping it and maybe creating a land around it?

Also, maybe we can add Mary Poppins? Somewhere in the park? Maybe a mini land with Jolly Holiday and a carousel? Or Jolly & a musical?
I would love Mary Poppins as one of our Soundstage immersive areas.

And I think we definitely need some Fantasmic like show

D Hulk

Yeah, we need a Fantasmic-esque show. My issue with it at DHS (sight unseen) is that the location serves no additional purpose throughout the day. It's an inefficient use of space.

We might be radically redoing the park layout where the backlot once was. Could we create a big central lagoon there, like the one at DisneySea, or DCA's WOC lagoon?

The Fantasmic spot near TOT could then serve for the pulpy, gritty, noir stuff we're discussing, since all that fits in the Hollywood setting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom