Orange Bird Back at Sunshine Tree Terrace in the Magic Kingdom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

I have thought about Cypress Gardens lately as WDW has been spinning its wheels with slogans like "Remember the Magic" and such. At some point, stop telling us to remember what a great time we used to have and start building a new legacy.
Because we are all fans, I think we are a little desensitized to the possibility that Disney could very well fall. Probably not soon, but it is always possibility and there are plenty of examples out there.

You seem to be the one intent on "arguing." I wasn't aware we could only reference comments made in this specific thread and not comments made on this subject elsewhere. Thanks for enlightening me, you must be a new mod.
Then how about some specific references? It is hard to comment on generalizations that are not even within the context of the discussion at hand.

This is great for many reasons. But, most of all, it's nice to see some differentiation coming back to the parks. A food stand that has something unique to offer :eek:. Some theming that is not having a Pixar character crammed down our throats :eek:.

What separated Disney from the competition was the details. Bringing back the details is what will keep them separated.
What is the theme of the Orange Bird or what is the larger part of which it is a detail?

I'm sorry, who's telling people not to be happy? Who's griping that it's returned.

I know one poster said people were whining, but actually was refering to people who weren't in this thread, weren't talking about anything in this thread, and had absolutely nothing to do with this thread. They didn't "make up" something to argue about... They transferred comments from other threads, posters, boards, websites so they could specifically complain about negative whiners. OKay...

I'm honestly confused here. I'm not sure who you're referring to, but I know my comments were toward previous comments I've read in this thread. Who is this "they" you're referring to? Who's complaining about "negative whiners"? I'm simply participating in a discussion with my opinion. It is my opinion that an individual who questions a restoration of part of the park's unique identity separate from the original park that current management seems to want to unify under a blanket "brand" is unfortunate. Does it matter what other people are saying on other threads on the same topic, and whether they mention them here? Regardless, it's "their" opinion and whether or not they're just trying to stir up discord is irrelevant. People can respond to others' statements. Complaining about complainers is pretty hypocritical, but it is your opinion.

lazyboy97o

It is my opinion that an individual who questions a restoration of part of the park's unique identity separate from the original park that current management seems to want to unify under a blanket "brand" is unfortunate.
This is what people mean when they talk about these little details being a distraction. You're happy with the end result and you see no need to be concerned with how or why it happened.

misterID

I'm honestly confused here. I'm not sure who you're referring to, but I know my comments were toward previous comments I've read in this thread. Who is this "they" you're referring to? Who's complaining about "negative whiners"? I'm simply participating in a discussion with my opinion. It is my opinion that an individual who questions a restoration of part of the park's unique identity separate from the original park that current management seems to want to unify under a blanket "brand" is unfortunate. Does it matter what other people are saying on other threads on the same topic, and whether they mention them here? Regardless, it's "their" opinion and whether or not they're just trying to stir up discord is irrelevant. People can respond to others' statements. Complaining about complainers is pretty hypocritical, but it is your opinion.

I was answered by the person I was talking to. And I named them earlier. No need to be confused.

No one wants the bird gone.

No one is telling anyone they can't be happy over it.

No one is whining.

And these things had nothing to do with the discussion.

Wilt Dasney

Just thinking about this further. Disneyland's fireworks show "Remember Dreams Come True" is widely loved. The entire show is, however, self-referential, celebrating the history of Disneyland. It has clips from rides that no longer exist, like Adventure through Innerspace. So we do celebrate self-referential stuff in Disney parks -- we loved the Epcot 25 gallery as well.

Agree with this, and I'd go a step further and say Disney parks have been self-referential since Day 1. Any time you hear a medley of tunes collected from different attractions around the parks, you're experiencing an implicit confession that the whole place is a pastiche of created themes that are waiting to be experienced separately. Anytime you buy a T-shirt with the name of an attraction, land or park on it, you're engaging in the same acknowledgement of artifice.

Heck, one of the most fondly remembered attractions from Magic Kingdom's past is the Walt Disney Story, which explicitly TOLD visitors that everything they were experiencing came from the mind of a man who set out to transform acres of swampland into something else. And for that matter, Walt himself did the same thing with the "Disneyland" TV show, and the opening day broadcast from Anaheim. The Disney parks have ALWAYS included an element of "Hey, look at the cool fake things we created!" woven alongside their more straightforward thematic elements.

As for Orange Bird coming back...I dig it. :)

WDWGoof07

I like the Orange Bird, and, by itself, it's a nice thing to return the character to the park. It's also great that they have Richard Sherman involved in bringing back the songs. (What exactly is Disney planning to do with the music? Anybody know?)

But I can't shake the feeling that it was done for all the wrong reasons. Plus, without the actual Sunshine Tree in the Sunshine Tree Terrace, it doesn't make much sense anymore because that's where the Bird was supposed to live. It makes the gesture seem a bit shallow to me. Lazyboy has articulated all of my thoughts on the subject (and more - you are on a roll, sir) quite eloquently, so I won't bother rehashing them.

With so many glaring issues in the parks today and the seeming shallowness of this "shout-out" to WDW fans, it breaks my heart to say that I can't get very excited for this.

I agree that Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom is a huge thematic issue. It essentially dismisses the very notion of the lands, and even the idea of a magic kingdom. It only works by recognizing that the Magic Kingdom is an artificial construct of The Walt Disney Company. Nothing special or unique, just another cog in a monolithic media machine.
Off-topic: I agree wholeheartedly - this is a very succinct description of my biggest gripe with SOTMK.

Atomicmickey

I woke up this morning to read this blog post, which has a good set of thoughts on why we should be celebrating this sort of thing. I like the writing, and the thinking.

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/

My feelings are still mixed to positive. Even if "they're doing it wrong", they're still doing something interesting wrong--as opposed to SOTMK.

Even if we conclude that theoretically, this is something a miss in terms of thematic integrity, as Lazyboy has elucidated, we can still celebrate the fact that in a small way, the .001 percent of intense fandom has made something of an impact--that someone in the company is listening (craven profit motive being a given), and that in a world of "corporate synergy" and awful John Carter marketing campaigns, something simple and quirky can manage to get through. This sort of attitude, writ large, could bear bigger fruit in, say, a Tomorrowland re-imagining, or in Epcot.

Bringing Dreamfinder back would raise another set of interesting thoughts, as he currently does not have a home. Another huge fan win--that would require explanation. "Well, you see, he used to be part of an attraction that has had two makeovers." What I'd like to see would be Dreamfinder brought back in the context of a reimagined attraction--that would move things forward, and be inclusive of the past.

Interesting that Orange Bird could have been given more cultural significance if he was reintroduced as part of a new partnership with the Citrus Grower's Association. He'd start to pop up around the state, possibly having his "home" in Adventureland.

Anyway. Lotsa brain cells on Orange Bird. :lol:

Lee

Adventurer
Overall....:snore:

I'm not a believer in going backwards. No interest in the Orange Bird, even less in ever seeing Dreamfinder again.

I like that they are supposedly "listening" to fans....if in fact that is what's happening, which I doubt.

My instinct is to question why would I get excited about the return of an obscure marketing mascot when Jungle Cruise is nearly 10 years overdue for a refurb.
My priorities are different.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'd be curious to hear more from you on this topic. It seems in another thread that you previously implied (I think?) that much adieu was being made of nothing.

It's interesting to me because, back around Christmas, I stated that I thought Disneyland was doing a lot of the more "little things" right (I think the context of the conversation was Christmas decorations), and this was making me want to spend more time there. You disagreed, pointing to the overlays at the various parks.

Anyway, it's interesting, because I see this and many other recent changes at Walt Disney World (Storybook Circus, Main Street, even menus, signage, and merchandise) as granular improvements that I think won't in any way pad the bottom line--they probably actually cost more--but will improve guest experiences.

I guess I see these as the "little things" that Walt Disney World is finally doing right. :shrug:

The Orange Bird doesn't do anything for me personally. It was way before my time, and I don't have any connection to it. Bringing it back now feels somewhat forced, and there is clearly a lot of merchandise surrounding it.

I am happy for those who have a connection to it from the old days, but I still find it puzzling how the younger fans are all over this. It does appear to illustrate how social media can create a buzz over something very small. It appears to have had equal attention to something as big as an a new attraction, which doesn't send out the right message to those with the purse strings. I would much rather see the time and effort be spent elsewhere.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Overall....:snore:

I'm not a believer in going backwards. No interest in the Orange Bird, even less in ever seeing Dreamfinder again.

I like that they are supposedly "listening" to fans....if in fact that is what's happening, which I doubt.

My instinct is to question why would I get excited about the return of an obscure marketing mascot when Jungle Cruise is nearly 10 years overdue for a refurb.
My priorities are different.

I agree with the idea of not going backwards. It gives the impression that the company has lost its creative vision.

One of the most famous Walt quotes is
"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."

Keep moving forward. But, the OrangeBird is pretty minor. The re-opening of the Michael Jackson ride was a much bigger offense in my opinion.

Now, in the interest of total honesty, you do believe in going backwards. At least in regards to the Club that once held meetings nightly for Adventurers the world over. Me too.

The Empress Lilly

OBposter.jpg

Now this, this is worth everything.

A picture, in the MK, recognising that Adventurland was build without a big mechanical spinner.
Recognising that the area is themed as the tropical South Seas, not as cartoon desert.
Not a cramped, hot, loud space where people get irritated, but the central square in Adventureland, an open space where you can walk and breathe and rest and take it all in.

The Orange Bird doesn't do anything for me personally. It was way before my time, and I don't have any connection to it. Bringing it back now feels somewhat forced, and there is clearly a lot of merchandise surrounding it.

I am happy for those who have a connection to it from the old days, but I still find it puzzling how the younger fans are all over this. It does appear to illustrate how social media can create a buzz over something very small. It appears to have had equal attention to something as big as an a new attraction, which doesn't send out the right message to those with the purse strings. I would much rather see the time and effort be spent elsewhere.

I can understand and agree with this. Although, I still don't believe much time and effort went into this "restoration". Not an amount that would detract from any other forward-thinking improvements. I'd rather have a non-branded, classic character get attention than just another Pixar franchise marketing gimmick. Yes, they're banking on nostalgia, but Disney seems to love making profit the bottom line these days over innovation. Would I have known about OB without the internet? No. Not even my parents remember the character from their pre-me trips in the 70's. But classic EPCOT Center matters a lot to me, and Disney honoring (whether genuinely or with $$ in their eyes) historic details gives me hope that the movement to generalize all the US parks is slipping slightly. And a future restoration to EPCOT's original mission is on the horizon. Frankly, there are A LOT of MK attractions throughout the park that need good refurbs, not just Jungle Cruise. Perhaps this is small step in putting MK back on the map, and not just with new princess meet/greets, a restaurant, and a basic dark ride.

lazyboy97o

Bringing Dreamfinder back would raise another set of interesting thoughts, as he currently does not have a home. Another huge fan win--that would require explanation. "Well, you see, he used to be part of an attraction that has had two makeovers." What I'd like to see would be Dreamfinder brought back in the context of a reimagined attraction--that would move things forward, and be inclusive of the past.
I unfortunately do not the time to read the article, but I read all of her posts so I will get to it in about a week's time. Just a quick note of how things can be handled poorly when the original essence is altered, just look at the changes to Figment's character.

That is a very nice poster.

I can understand and agree with this. Although, I still don't believe much time and effort went into this "restoration". Not an amount that would detract from any other forward-thinking improvements.
An organization the size of Walt Disney World no longer just has things happen. Effort was spent on this. Maybe not as much money or something to build a huge ticket, but it did take time and meetings, likely lots of meetings, for this to finally happen.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Does anyone just think this may be the final of the total restoration of the Sunshine Pavilion? First it was the tiki birds... then the Sunshine tree terrace gets refurbed, and as the final icing on the cake they bring back the orange bird. That is how I think of it as the complete finish of a opening day icon.

Maybe they will jump over to the Jungle Cruise and start fixing/refurbing it

Lee

Adventurer
Now, in the interest of total honesty, you do believe in going backwards. At least in regards to the Club that once held meetings nightly for Adventurers the world over. Me too.

True...but that's a somewhat different situation.

I also agree with Steve. It's really odd to me how many of the ones that are most excited over the OB are too young to have ever seen it. Perhaps it's a result of social media.
(Same thing with old EPCOT Center fans, actually.)

alphac2005

True...but that's a somewhat different situation.

I also agree with Steve. It's really odd to me how many of the ones that are most excited over the OB are too young to have ever seen it. Perhaps it's a result of social media.
(Same thing with old EPCOT Center fans, actually.)

It's funny to think that there are fans clamoring for EPCOT Center and they never experienced the park. Horizons is my all-time favorite attraction, but it would have needed to be majorly modernized in order to make it work today or even a decade ago. There are far too many rose-colored glasses around here when it comes to the past of the parks. I could go on, but it would only get me yelled at. :ROFLOL:

As for the Orange Bird, the cynic in me sees only one simple reason for bringing this long abandoned character back: merchandise sales. Had they just put the character in Adventureland, that would be one thing, but it's rather obvious by the merchandise availability. It seems as though they tend to only "listen" to the fans when it comes to producing merchandise that the fan base wants, as they don't seem to want to "listen" when it comes to quality, innovation, or creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom