Opps, they did it (upstaged?) AGAIN!

Frontierland CM

Universal may have some cool rides, but the thing that sets Disney apart is the level of service provided by the Cast Members. It's a truly immersive experience and Universal will never reach that level no matter how hard they try. My friend just came back from a trip to Florida and she went to both and she told me "Universal was cool, but they have nothing on Disney". Everyone on the boards alway complain about the "lack" of something at WDW, but never say anything about how much cool stuff there is to do that's already there or the amazing people that work there!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree...Forbidden Journey is AMAZING...I thought it was probably the best thing I've ever been on, and amazingly well themed...But the rest? The 'rollercoaster' is just an old ride they re-imagined as a Hippogriff, and then rest, although well themed, is shops. Pretty, nicely disguised shops...but shops.

I know a lot of the same could be said about Disney, but to me, there is NO comparison between Universal and WDW. When I am in Universal, it definitely feels more to me like an amusement park, and last time I was there their were posters everywhere advertising how to upgrade this, upgrade that, spend more here, spend more there....

You mean like DVC everywhere in the parks?
or outdoor vending carts everywhere?

Your complaint about WWHOP where it's mostly 'shops' is pretty much the same as Carsland. 1 major, two minor attractions, and the rest dominated by shops.. really themed shops.. but still shops.

At least WWHOP has WWHOP merchandise to fill those shops. So much of Carsland will likely be filled with generic Disney fluff and cars toys for little kids.

I think its fine people didn't connect with WWOHP.. but the excuses given why don't tend to match their acceptance of other parks.

bdearl41

Comparing the Two

Here is the thing. When at Universal, i dont really feel the need to go back a second day, in fact last time i was there i left at like 5 or 6 pm.

When at Disney I want to use up evey possible second i can. Sentiment has to do with some of this, but also I think you dont feel as if you are spending money to be entertained at Disney, at Univeral you do. In my opinion.

I think that the reason we have such high expectations for Disney is because as kids it was perfect to each of us. Now that we are older we expect it to be perfect but see the flaws. All i know is i feel better after a day at a Disney park than i do Universal.

Also Disney provides after the park experiences that Universal cannot compare to. The closest park I have been to in enjoyment compared to Disney is Busch Gardens Williamsburg, because the themeing is great and the people are wonderful, two industries standards started by Disney.

ryguy

Also Disney provides after the park experiences that Universal cannot compare to. The closest park I have been to in enjoyment compared to Disney is Busch Gardens Williamsburg, because the themeing is great and the people are wonderful, two industries standards started by Disney.

Soooo True. Busch Gardens Williamsburg is also one of the pretty theme parks in the world.

GLaDOS

I think its fine people didn't connect with WWOHP.. but the excuses given why don't tend to match their acceptance of other parks.

Yup.

If Universal's parks had the words Walt Disney's in front of them instead of Universal, people would rave about them. But because they've conditioned their minds so much to only accept Disney's products, Universal will be inferior to them no matter what they do.

me? I like to enjoy both sides. And saying Universal's parks don't compare to Disney's is an asinine, ignorant statement if I ever heard one.

4 of the parks in Orlando (2 of Disney's and Universal's 2) are easily 4 of the greatest parks in the world. It's a shame that there are people unwilling to enjoy them all.

bdearl41

Yup.

If Universal's parks had the words Walt Disney's in front of them instead of Universal, people would rave about them. But because they've conditioned their minds so much to only accept Disney's products, Universal will be inferior to them no matter what they do.

me? I like to enjoy both sides. And saying Universal's parks don't compare to Disney's is an asinine, ignorant statement if I ever heard one.

4 of the parks in Orlando (2 of Disney's and Universal's 2) are easily 4 of the greatest parks in the world. It's a shame that there are people unwilling to enjoy them all.

I'm not saying they dont compare, i just think they provide different experiences. Disney can provide a weeks vacation or more, Universal you can do everything in two days. And yes I mean everything. They are just two different experiences.

GLaDOS

I'm not saying they dont compare, i just think they provide different experiences. Disney can provide a weeks vacation or more, Universal you can do everything in two days. And yes I mean everything. They are just two different experiences.

I'd disagree. If you're going in the offseason, then yes, Universal can be done in 2 days. If not? You need 3-4 at least to experience everything the resort has to offer.

If we're talking offseason, Disney can be done in 4 days to get everything worthwhile in.

bdearl41

I'd disagree. If you're going in the offseason, then yes, Universal can be done in 2 days. If not? You need 3-4 at least to experience everything the resort has to offer.

If we're talking offseason, Disney can be done in 4 days to get everything worthwhile in.

There is so many more little things to do at disney, so many more, just take epcot for example, to do eveything in the world showcase, see all the great cultural shows, eat at the restaurants, explore all the shops, etc. would take days in itself. Innoventions is worth a whole afternoon. I could spend a whole afternoon at the Seas, granted I am a diver (hope to dive in that tank soon) and I am into that stuff. I just think Disney gives an immersive experience as opposed to UO which is more of a movie themed amusement park. Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies, but there just isnt a lot to do in that part of the park. UO is a great park/resort, dont get me wrong, i just dont believe it to be as immersive and in depth as the whole of Disney.

If you want to get technical to do everything in Disney would take months, but there is just so much more is why.....Disney has so much to offer on so many levels, where UO found its level and kinda stuck to it.

benji

But it does exist. And it's easily one of the best themed attractions anywhere on the planet, surrounded by one of the best themed lands.

Nothing in the FLE will be anywhere close to the best ride/experience in the park, let alone anywhere.

Do you consider FJ's show building well themed? I don't think so. Cheap and tacky. You will not see exposed show building anywhere in FLE. The details WOW me and Disney continues to do so. I don't care how epic FJ's ride is. The outside of the castle looks terrible waiting in queue.

ctxak98

I Like Universal and Islands of adventure but I dont love them. I LOVE the disney parks not because there rides are better but because of the overall experience. Every single park is unique and Has something different to offer you. Is Universal fun!? YESSS I think Universal is very fun but not worth traveling allll the way to florida for. Its a one day thing I do every year becaus they Have 5 rides I truly like to do(spiderman, jurassic park, Forbidden journey, the mummy, and dueling dragons) really everything else is time filler rides but I do end up leaving early. I dont think universal compares in the "MAGICAL EXPERIENCE" aspect of a theme park.
Its just my opinion but I dont know of The forbidden journey is the best themed ride? Maybe best themed walk through! thats forsure but overall I thought the ride could be better!:)

MickeyGoof

I'm with ya Dbear.

I can go to any Disney property and I'm always blown away. Yes, there's sentiment, of course! But whether I go alone or with my family, it's always just as enjoyable.

My family and I recently visited Universal IoA, because we wanted to see the Harry Potter stuff. It is TRUELY amazing and immersive. My son loved the Dr. Suess-land, but beyond that, Atlantis sucked and was boring. Jurasic park was run down and just about everything was closed. boring. The toon-town, while toony, was rundown and totally boring. Even the Marvel-land was boring. Yes, there are some really great rides in the park (Hulk, Spiderman, Toon-town water flume, Harry potter)!! We were done with everything in the park in 6 hours.

We spent MORE time at City Walk than in the park.

That said, we often go to Downtown Disney for dinner, a movie or just to hang out. There's a great energy and feel... especially during the holidays.

Regardless, all that said... I totally feel like I got my "money's worth" when leaving Disney vs. Universal. Thus, more money spent at Disney, for me.

Now, if you want to talk about value... Sea World has got it going.

maxairmike

In the eyes of some perhaps. But look at the attendance and revenue of them. No comparison.

Those raw numbers by themselves are the absolute worst way to go about comparing the two for this simple little fact: it is quite simply physically impossible for Universal (and especially the other Central Florida parks) to put up anywhere close to Disney numbers, attendance or revenue. The proper way to compare them would be percentages, per capita (to a point, because again you have a multitude of spending opportunities at Disney that are physically impossible to replicate for Universal in sheer volume), etc. I laugh every time I see this argument brought up because it's like comparing the numbers from the Richland County fair to Cedar Point (Ohio kid, you can replace your local fair and theme park for the example).

Those numbers tossed out by TEA? I regularly see people and press adding the numbers for all 4 parks up to come up with the total WDW attendance, and that is really quite flawed (never mind the reliability of the numbers to start with). A better way to use those numbers to figure out total resort attendance would be to take the MK's number and work down from there, because "everyone" is visiting the MK on their trip, but not everyone is visiting DHS or DAK, so adding those raw numbers together gives you a gigantic error. If the MK number is 17 million, the total attendance at WDW as a whole is much closer to, say, 20 million than the 35-40 million you get when you add all 4 parks together. And if you want to be conservative, if the numbers are turnstile clicks instead of unique individuals, the number is likely lower than 17 million thanks to regular repeats of the MK on a trip.

If you really want to be comparing the two, look at the percentage gains in attendance and per capita spending that Universal has been generating and compare them with Disney (which is largely flat or negative).

HMButler79

Original Poster
Always falls back onto this argument, doesn't it?

Yes, WDW will always have more visitors and revenue, we get it by now.
Spiderman is about to become the best dark ride (yet again) with these upgrades and you argue attendance and revenue.

Typical fanboi argument, it's really getting stale.

That's ALL they have left to hype. That's thier sole calling card. When you no longer have a premium product and have let all the WDI talent go and other parks are offering experiences like WDW did in the 80s and 90s, then you all you HAVE is to throw out numbers.

im so tired of hearing about universal... i get on disney sites to look at disney. Its so annoying hearing about how amazing universal is (and im not saying its not) but im on this site to look at disney

DisneyFan 2000

Do you consider FJ's show building well themed? I don't think so. Cheap and tacky. You will not see exposed show building anywhere in FLE. The details WOW me and Disney continues to do so. I don't care how epic FJ's ride is. The outside of the castle looks terrible waiting in queue.
Really? Are examples really necessary to refute this ridiculous notion? You see show buildings all over Disney, to state any differently is absurd, and don't doubt for a second you might see some behind-the-scene goodies when FLE opens. It's just the nature of things built by man, they tend to be flawed.

HMButler79

Original Poster
You're right - those high profits are really helping to improve the parks.

How silly of me, WDW is the best at everything
!

I know! All those high profits from increased ticket prices and room rates are TOTALLY helping us get new countries in Epcot and non-princess themed expreiences for MK! Man....Disney is makign SO much money ALL the AAs work on Splash and JC! :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom