Opinion: Toy Story Land's grand opening will be a disaster

justintheharris

Original Poster
I want to preface this with the fact that this is just my opinion. If you disagree, please tell me your reasoning. I do not want to believe that Disney will fall short of expectations and I would truly love for someone to change my mind on this matter.

So I have been thinking about how Toy Story Land will perform overall and, while I think the land itself be just fine at the end of the day, I do not expect the grand opening to be successful and the land itself will not be appreciated until 2019 after the opening of Star Wars Galaxy Edge. Hollywood Studios is a park in desperate need of capacity as it only has 4 rides and this has created the need for new attractions to be rushed out of the gate; however, this is dangerous as it could create new rides with subpar quality (see Dinoland U.S.A). It almost seems Disney is about to do the same with Toy Story land and the only real difference is that the IP is more appealing. Here's the issues I'm seeing with the land:

1. It's being advertised as a family land. It's not. Disney is trying to insist that the land is family friendly and while a family will likely enjoy the land as a whole, it is obviously aimed at little kids. It's hard to blame Disney for this issue as Hollywood Studios has always suffered from a lack of things for kids to enjoy but advertising Toy Story Land as a family land can and likely will backfire (see New Fantasyland). In addition, height restrictions will exist on Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Swirling Saucers which has already upset some people and, in my humble opinion, prevents a substantial amount of children who would otherwise enjoy the new land from being able to ride. Therefore, the ride will exclude a fair amount of children who would enjoy the ride and leave teens and adults unsatisfied

2. Both of the new rides are slightly above an off-the-shelf ride. As technology improves, the quality of off-the-shelf rides do as well and I believe that Cars Land, A Bug's Land and now Toy Story Land are proof. All of them include rides that are essentially carbon copies of an off-the-shelf ride with a minor twist. For example, Flick's Flyers is a Dumbo rip off. The only twist is that the carts tilt. In Toy Story Land, Alien Swirling Saucers will fill this role. It is nothing more than a carnival ride with Toy Story theming. As for Slinky Dog Dash, I must emphasize that yes, it is a unique roller coaster and will (probably) have two separate launch sections. However, ask yourself "How much effort was actually put into this roller coaster?" There's no real innovative technology and the ride is going to be almost solely dependent on its extensive theming as well.

3. The new rides will not have good capacity. Now I understand that Disney has not released any numbers for the capacity that these rides will carry (or at least to my knowledge, they have not) but from the looks of both Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Swirling Saucers, neither ride is going to be good at digesting the crowds in the way that Toy Story Midway Mania will be. Disney has announced June 30th as the opening date and I am personally expecting that the new land will not be able to handle the opening day crowds. Problems that will be exaggerated with fastpass plus. While it obviously won't be the crowd control catastrophe that opening day was over at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, people should expect absurdly long lines for (as stated above) rides with little pay off.

4. The flagship attraction of the land is already open and has been for nearly 10 years. This is the biggest worry I have for Toy Story land. Toy Story Midway Mania is undoubtedly one of the greatest attractions ever created; however, it opened in 2008. Now, Disney is counting on the ride to headline a brand new land in Hollywood Studios. Toy Story Midway Mania is capable of doing this; however, Disney is expecting guests to be satisfied that the main attraction of their new land is one that has already been present for 10 years and one that many people have already experienced multiple times.

Once again, this is just my opinion. I am completely open to the idea that I am wrong. What do you guys think?

TwilightZone

My opinion is that parents shouldn't be taking there kids to parks that do fall under height restrictions. 6 years old is the best time.
My main concern is that it's opening before the e-ticket stuff, that will make it become very unpopular opening day, but you do have valid reasonings besides those two things.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I think what you're failing to see is the difference between what we think is successful and what TWDC sees as successful ($$) you have valid points, but in the end, tell me that you wouldn't go to TSL to check it out at least once. If you do, it's a success in their eyes.

Spike-in-Berlin

I have to confess that I am a little concerned about the lowered standards for a todays "land" at WDI and TDO. Call me a little too demanding and spoiled but since when do 2 attractions define a new "land" (TSM doesn't count it was already there). And if you take a look at the ride quality it gets even worth. Pandora: ONE E-Ticket (Is FoP a real E-Ticket? I never did it) and a quite unelaborate river ride. Toy Story Land: A D-ticket rollercoaster and a cheap carnival type ride with some Disney decoration. That's an entire new land? Or am I spoiled?

Spike-in-Berlin

"How much effort was actually put into this roller coaster?"
There's no real innovative technology and the ride is going to be almost solely dependent on its extensive theming as well.

I don't even see "extensive theming" here. It is the first rollercoaster ride at WDW with a completely visible track and construction (yes I know the cheap excuse TDO has made up for the cheap theming, the same with Dinoland) , the theming is, compared to EE, BTM and SDMT, minimal and the ride technology doesn't include anything substantial. It is not Fire Mountain, it is not even Indiana Jones in DLP which is the most subpar Disney rollercoaster I ever experienced. Lets face it, these are the standards of contemporary WDI and TDO. And it will not change under this management. And least not improve.

Hayley In Wonderland

My opinion is that parents shouldn't be taking there kids to parks that do fall under height restrictions. 6 years old is the best time.
I agree with this, but more in the sense that I do not understand why someone would spend SO MUCH MONEY on a trip to WDW before a child turns say, 6. Chances are the kid probably won't remember this (we lose most of our memories at 7, and cannot actually form memories until we are about 3 years old) so why not just wait until your child is old enough to remember & old enough to not need babying?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I have to confess that I am a little concerned about the lowered standards for a todays "land" at WDI and TDO. Call me a little too demanding and spoiled but since when do 2 attractions define a new "land" (TSM doesn't count it was already there). And if you take a look at the ride quality it gets even worth. Pandora: ONE E-Ticket (Is FoP a real E-Ticket? I never did it) and a quite unelaborate river ride. Toy Story Land: A D-ticket rollercoaster and a cheap carnival type ride with some Disney decoration. That's an entire new land? Or am I spoiled?

Storybook Circus added one new ride and converted 2.​
Hogsmeade added one new ride and converted 2.​
Diagon Alley added 2 and only has 2 rides.​
The extension of Fantasy land added 2 new rides.​
Cars Land added 3 rides, two of them rather C-ish ticket-wise.​
The two SWLs each only have 2 rides.​
Pandora only has 2 rides.​

So, it's de rigueur to only have 2-3 rides for a modern "land." It's also the standard to count existing rides as part of the land, so, you get no points for pretending TSM doesn't exist.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't even see "extensive theming" here. It is the first rollercoaster ride at WDW with a completely visible track and construction (yes I know the cheap excuse TDO has made up for the cheap theming, the same with Dinoland) , the theming is, compared to EE, BTM and SDMT, minimal and the ride technology doesn't include anything substantial. It is not Fire Mountain, it is not even Indiana Jones in DLP which is the most subpar Disney rollercoaster I ever experienced. Lets face it, these are the standards of contemporary WDI and TDO. And it will not change under this management. And least not improve.

Really? You didn't like the finished product when you jumped to the future to experience it?

eliza61nyc

1) why do you feel that slinky dog ride will leave adults "unsatisfied"? because it's not a thrill ride. I have four adults in my family, no one likes thrill rides. one of hte main reasons we don't do Universal. so I disagree with the premise that the rollercoaster will leave folks unsatisfied.
2) now as for "technology" in rides, I have to admit I cannot comment on this. I have no idea how much "thought" goes into any ride and the simple truth is I don't give a furries rats behind. lol, sorry no I do not go to theme parks nor vacation destinations requiring a behind the scene knowledge of how the rides were developed. I don't know anyone who does (except it seems here) pretty much our criteria is simple. Was the ride fun? We like the Mine train ride, we hate that its very short but we love to go on it. Do we really care that the design was changed and shortened? humm no.
3) Opening days as far as capacity are always a mob scene. I avoid them like the plague. Do you not remember Pandora, and yet folks loved that one. Do you have some inside track into guest satisfaction.
4) lol I find it interesting that you say guest will not be satisfied with a ride that's been open for 10 years on this website. People here had a freaky deaky melt down when a scene was changed in POTC and that ride is over 30 years old. so obviously age and satisfaction are not totally related. TSM is a popular attraction and will remain so, the extra ride track will hopefully address the wait time issue.

So what I find totally interesting is the "predictions" you seem to have on guest "satisfaction". Basically how do you know? You say there will be no "payoff" by going to Toy story land?? I find that a preposterous prediction based on the simple fact you cannot possible know what guest will like or dislike. How many of the visitors will be first timers? how many will be return guest? how many will have small children or not?

So will it be a "Disaster"? hardly. Will it be crowded? absolutely, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Middle of the summer, brand new attractions, do the math.

Last edited:

ppete1975

I agree with this, but more in the sense that I do not understand why someone would spend SO MUCH MONEY on a trip to WDW before a child turns say, 6. Chances are the kid probably won't remember this (we lose most of our memories at 7, and cannot actually form memories until we are about 3 years old) so why not just wait until your child is old enough to remember & old enough to not need babying?
Thats one of the reasons you didnt see as many strollers before, most people agreed with you. Now people bring their infants.

ppete1975

I couldn't imagine doing Disney with an infant. That would be so stressful my goodness.
Totally agree. People used to leave their little ones with someone. Then when they were older bring them. Although they will never do it due to public backlash they should charge infants just to cut down on it. Trust me just to get that selfie of your 1 year old near the castle they are going to be tired, sunburnt, hungry, getting bumped into in the stroller, woken when they are trying to sleep. And most rides someone will have to not ride because of height restrictions

DisneyDoctor

Totally agree. People used to leave their little ones with someone. Then when they were older bring them. Although they will never do it due to public backlash they should charge infants just to cut down on it. Trust me just to get that selfie of your 1 year old near the castle they are going to be tired, sunburnt, hungry, getting bumped into in the stroller, woken when they are trying to sleep. And most rides someone will have to not ride because of height restrictions
Haha reading that makes me shudder. What a potential nightmare!

KBLovedDisney

I believe we live in a generation where people like "new" regardless of who it initially pertains too. Also...
Disney is trying to insist that the land is family friendly and while a family will likely enjoy the land as a whole, it is obviously aimed at little kids.
Isn't this the same idea that was initially for Magic Kingdom, and yet we now get a bunch of kids and adults (all ages) enjoying the park whether as a single person, a couple, to entire family get togethers...

Damon7777

, I do not expect the grand opening to be successful and the land itself will not be appreciated until 2019 after the opening of Star Wars Galaxy Edge

You can't be serious((but I know you are))
Toy Story Land will consistently reach capacity during its opening weeks, even though it looks cheap and doesn't offer a new super headliner.

Now on to the real headscratcher:
Why on Earth would one appreciate that land more **AFTER** Star Wars land opens----- guests will compare Toy Story against the most extremely ambitious land built yet.

Last edited:

Damon7777

Toy Story Midway Mania is undoubtedly one of the greatest attractions ever created;

It isn't even trackless like Hunny Hunt in Tokyo or Rat in Paris
It's completely screen based
It's a 'D' attraction in its scope and scale

But I agree with your point about it beeing a decade + old attraction......reminds me of the Universal's Potterville trick with Dueling Dragons and Hippogriff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom