Operating hours of several Epcot attractions and shops to be reduced from Feb 2016

ParentsOf4

No, just going back to the majority of Future World closing at 7pm, as it has done for years
Or, as @wdwmagic reported earlier on this thread, it's one of several planned cuts, such as the reduced hours recently announced at the two water parks, despite record crowds.

"Attendance was up 10% last quarter so let's reduce hours since the parks are not crowded enough." :banghead:

Jon81uk

Or, as @wdwmagic reported earlier on this thread, it's one of several planned cuts, such as the reduced hours recently announced at the two water parks, despite record crowds.

"Attendance was up 10% last quarter so let's reduce hours since the parks are not crowded enough." :banghead:

I agree with the water parks opening at 10am being a bad decision.

But I think as it is quite heavily advertised that Futture World closes at 7pm, many guests didn't even know the things that are closing were open. If they aren't drawing a reasonable number of guests it doesn't make sense to keep them open. OR they should change all of Future World to a 9pm close and ensure that all rides are open it is clearly communicated.

But Epcot needs a lot more than this, keeping those unloved attractions open an extra two hours doesn't help. Building several new attractions in Future World, fixing Innoventions and adding to World Showcase would solve more.

Jon81uk

It isn't worth arguing with people who are out of touch reality. Some people will suck Disney until they can suck no more. So long as they can go flop around MK, who cares!! Everything is so perfect and joyful and lalala :rolleyes:

No, everyting is not perfect, Epcot needs a lot of help. But many guests think there is still a 7pm close for Future World, guest will assume these attractions are closed anyway and won't seek them out, spending the evening in World Showcase. Keeping them open an extra two hours doesn't solve the issues that Epcot has.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No, everyting is not perfect, Epcot needs a lot of help. But many guests think there is still a 7pm close for Future World, guest will assume these attractions are closed anyway and won't seek them out.
Or just go back to having everything close at the same time. Like they used to.

When Innoventions actually had things to see. When Energy was worth riding. When Imagination was worth riding. When Magic Eye had a theme park attraction. When Wonders was open.

Animaniac93-98

Disney is obviously trying to compensate for the fact that Animal Kingdom will now be open an extra 4-5 hours longer than usual by reducing operating hours elsewhere.

You'd think additional PM food, beverage and merchandise revenue (+ the usual ticket price increases) would cover that, but I guess the accountants are terrified of any shrink in the margins.

Jon81uk

Or just go back to having everything close at the same time. Like they used to.

When Innoventions actually had things to see. When Energy was worth riding. When Imagination was worth riding. When Magic Eye had a theme park attraction. When Wonders was open.

Exactly, the attractions need to attract guests. Just having the longer hours doesn't fix it. Having quality attractions that draw guests in to spend those hours in Future World not World Showcase will spread guests out. Unfortunately it doesn't feel like we are going to get those attraction updates any time soon?

aladdin2007

Exactly, the attractions need to attract guests. Just having the longer hours doesn't fix it. Having quality attractions that draw guests in to spend those hours in Future World not World Showcase will spread guests out. Unfortunately it doesn't feel like we are going to get those attraction updates any time soon?

I think Disney is going to rely on the new soarin and frozen for epcots foreseeable future, unfortunately. And does anyone think we are really getting a new show in place of circle of life? It's starting to feel like that's just another temp closure to save costs. Odd its happening at the same time as these other cutbacks.....

Disneydreamer23

Figment closed at 7 In September even though the park was open until 9. I didn't know and it was our last day, I promised my 2 year old we would go on once before we left it was around 8, we walked over there and was told by 2 cast members the ride closed at 7, why not put them in the ride and keep it open?

peter11435

Figment closed at 7 In September even though the park was open until 9. I didn't know and it was our last day, I promised my 2 year old we would go on once before we left it was around 8, we walked over there and was told by 2 cast members the ride closed at 7, why not put them in the ride and keep it open?

It would take more than 2 cast members to have the ride open.

emcclay

I have to say this is true with all retail companies. Jan/Feb are just a slow time of year. Years ago when I was in high school I worked at a grocery store and even they cut everyone's hours during that time of year. If you were full time(40 hours) you were cut to 35 and part time was cut the same way and this was in the 90s. Even now I work in a fast casual restaurant and we are slow so I have cut back 1 day a week. It will pick back up and the hours will change again. Those of you with your cushie office jobs have no clue this is how the rest of us have to live.

At least in my location, we have not slowed down since early last year. We have not really had a break from the summer to the holidays to now. Which, to all of us, is very strange. There are no longer "slow" times at WDW.

rael ramone

The theme park guest is expected to make up for shortfalls elsewhere (real or potentially in the future). Shanghai problems. ESPN cord cutting. You name it. And the name of the game is to expand the profit margin - something can make money; a lot of money - and it's still not enough.

asianway

Did you expect anything different, Chapek was a consumer products guy he was a 'Plushie Pusher' his strength is merchandising just like Paul Pressler, As soon as I looked at Chapek's background my first thought was 'The Pressler Days are BACK'. Here we are after a record quarter and the bad old days are back with Strategic Planning and a GM who looks at WDW as the worlds largest mall store.
Pressler would have never opened the gift shops an hour after park opening. This is the most asinine thing I've ever heard of

DisneyChik17

At least in my location, we have not slowed down since early last year. We have not really had a break from the summer to the holidays to now. Which, to all of us, is very strange. There are no longer "slow" times at WDW.

That's what we're experiencing at the local hotels (non-Disney). Sold out, or nearly sold out, every night. Lots of ticket sales, and lots of people doing lots of things. Even domestic travelers, which are usually low after Christmas.

TBrooker11

I now wonder why Disney even has late EMH at Epcot. I mean unless you are going to spend the two hours shopping or drinking in World Showcase you only can go on a handful of rides. Test Track, Mission Space, Spaceship Earth, Nemo, and the Gran Fiesta Tour unless I am forgetting something. For me, EMH is all about busting out a ton of rides. I would be happy if they only ever did EMH at MK from now on honestly.

Jon81uk

I now wonder why Disney even has late EMH at Epcot. I mean unless you are going to spend the two hours shopping or drinking in World Showcase you only can go on a handful of rides. Test Track, Mission Space, Spaceship Earth, Nemo, and the Gran Fiesta Tour unless I am forgetting something. For me, EMH is all about busting out a ton of rides. I would be happy if they only ever did EMH at MK from now on honestly.

I don't think enough guests would be that interested in spending 45 minutes of those EMH in Ellens Energy Adventure. and Imagination barely has a wait to ride in the daytime, so there is no advantage of waiting for EMH.

TBrooker11

I don't think enough guests would be that interested in spending 45 minutes of those EMH in Ellens Energy Adventure. and Imagination barely has a wait to ride in the daytime, so there is no advantage of waiting for EMH.
My point was meant to be more along the lines of your #1 ride is down right now. Why on Earth are you going to not open as many of the other ones you have as you can for EMH. Ellen's doesn't operate at night regardless. I don't see EMH at Epcot as much of a benefit for guests at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom