Only Lincoln will speak at HoP?

Wilt Dasney

On a completely different topic...any WDW historians recall how the addition of Gerald Ford's AA was handled? As it is now, they can plan to shut down the attraction for a refurb whenever a new president is elected. In 1974, Nixon resigned and Ford was president the next day. Was his AA added pretty quickly after Watergate?

I certainly hope president Obama speaks in the new version. Not just because of his historical significance or even because he's the sitting president... but because I think he's one of the best speakers who have ever taken the office. I don't agree with everything he says, but I do enjoy listening to him speak.

durangojim

Perhaps they could divide the auditorium in to Democrats on the left and Republicans on the right, just like they do with Congress, as will be evident at tonights speech.:lol: Personally, I would like to see them do away with a speaking part by the current president (and I don't just mean Obama). It would be a way to depoliticize the attraction and focus on historical significance, although I understand how many feel President Obama's election is historical because he is half white, I don't see that any of the recent presidents have been out of office long enough to warrent their presidencies in the same league as Washington/Lincoln and the other founders (except for Reagan and Kennedy possibly).

Wilt Dasney

I don't see that any of the recent presidents have been out of office long enough to warrent their presidencies in the same league as Washington/Lincoln and the other founders (except for Reagan and Kennedy possibly).
I actually agree with you on Reagan and Kennedy being the only "larger than life" presidents in the last 50 years, although I can't really think of anything lasting that either man accomplished off the top of my head. I think they were both more remarkable because of their inspirational/speaking abilities than for policy achievements. ("Ask not what your country can do for you" and "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" are still quoted, for example.)

So based on that standard, maybe Obama will be remembered as a great president, even if he doesn't really DO anything. :shrug:

bfbulldog

I agree with Yoda's take on this. However what everyone seems to be forgetting is that Barak may not want to participate. I think that if he perceives that this is a major multi-national seeking to make money and sell more tickets off him and the Office then he may be hesitant to "add his voice" (pun intended).

He really isn't about helping Wall Street and all that don't you know. And I'd be very suprised if he has much respect for TWDC. Perhaps this is why Jim Hill claims Disney has had trouble scheduling a recording session for Obama to do his HoP speech.:lookaroun

Probably one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read. He isn't about helping Wall Street????? Are you serious??? Billions upon billions for major multi-national banks, auto companies, insurance companies....etc, any of that ringing a bell??

You're joking right?? Disney will not sell one additional ticket because Obama's decided to voice a little blurb in the Hall of Presidents.

BillsFanGabe

I will proudly say that I am a devoted Republican supporter and I do get annoyed when people boo Bush. I will be mature and not boo Obama, I didnt when Clinton spoke, all I did was I shook my head when Clinton talked.

durangojim

I actually agree with you on Reagan and Kennedy being the only "larger than life" presidents in the last 50 years, although I can't really think of anything lasting that either man accomplished off the top of my head. I think they were both more remarkable because of their inspirational/speaking abilities than for policy achievements. ("Ask not what your country can do for you" and "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" are still quoted, for example.)

So based on that standard, maybe Obama will be remembered as a great president, even if he doesn't really DO anything. :shrug:

Personally I'd be a bit more happy if he didn't DO anything becuase what's being done right now doesn't seem so great.

GothMickey

I will proudly say that I am a devoted Republican supporter and I do get annoyed when people boo Bush. I will be mature and not boo Obama, I didnt when Clinton spoke, all I did was I shook my head when Clinton talked.

I didn't like Bush as the president or as a person. However, he still received the respect a sitting president should receive. After all, the sitting president is still OUR president, whether you are Democrat or Republican. It annoyed me to no end when I heard the ingrates hissing at Clinton and booing Bush AAs. It is downright disrespectful and shows the intelligence level of a lot of people.

GothMickey

I agree with Yoda's take on this. However what everyone seems to be forgetting is that Barak may not want to participate. I think that if he perceives that this is a major multi-national seeking to make money and sell more tickets off him and the Office then he may be hesitant to "add his voice" (pun intended).

He really isn't about helping Wall Street and all that don't you know. And I'd be very suprised if he has much respect for TWDC. Perhaps this is why Jim Hill claims Disney has had trouble scheduling a recording session for Obama to do his HoP speech.:lookaroun

jt, Obama isn't against Wall Street. WHat Obama is against is these ft cat CEO's continuing to stuff their pockets with millions upon millions all the while laying off their employees and crying poverty, with their hand out begging for bail out money. As for him being against Disney, um, remember the night before the Inauguration??? Michelle Obama and her children hosted a concert with many Disney stars on Disney Channel. They even had the Jonas Brothers at the White House. I don't think Obama hates Disney.

In case you haven't realized, Obama has a ton of stuff on his plate as president. Forgive him if he doesn't take a day out of his busy schedule to record something for a theme park wll the while the economy collapses in front and all around him. If he hasn't recorded his speech yet, I submit THAT is why.

Figment632

I didn't like Bush as the president or as a person. However, he still received the respect a sitting president should receive. After all, the sitting president is still OUR president, whether you are Democrat or Republican. It annoyed me to no end when I heard the ingrates hissing at Clinton and booing Bush AAs. It is downright disrespectful and shows the intelligence level of a lot of people.

I can't stand the booing even if I don't like Clinton, or Obama the are Presidents and deserve respect. The way Bush was treated by people in this country was terrible and I wasn't his biggest fan even though I am a conservative.

durangojim

jt, Obama isn't against Wall Street. WHat Obama is against is these ft cat CEO's continuing to stuff their pockets with millions upon millions all the while laying off their employees and crying poverty, with their hand out begging for bail out money. As for him being against Disney, um, remember the night before the Inauguration??? Michelle Obama and her children hosted a concert with many Disney stars on Disney Channel. They even had the Jonas Brothers at the White House. I don't think Obama hates Disney.

In case you haven't realized, Obama has a ton of stuff on his plate as president. Forgive him if he doesn't take a day out of his busy schedule to record something for a theme park wll the while the economy collapses in front and all around him. If he hasn't recorded his speech yet, I submit THAT is why.

The biggest beef that I have with President Obama is that to me he seems like he's dividing the country between the rich, which he labels, as anyone who earns over $250K, and the middle class which is anyone who earns less than $150K, and the folks in between. He acts as if the people who are making more than $150 or $250K, that it just magically appeared without those people having to work hard for it. To listen to him, it seems that the only people who are working hard are those who work minimum wage jobs and that the rest of us who went to school longer or work long hours to better our positions in life had no problem doing so and don't struggle with daily bills. I believe his rhetoric is playing down to base instincts in society and shifting the blame to "the rich" which isn't completely founded.

jt04

That whole Disney promotion at the innauguration was another example of a corporation buying favors from the fat cat politicians in Washington who end up as millionaires (on relatively modest salaries-hmmmm) while at the same time holding their hands out and begging for tax money most of us can't afford to give them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom