Only Lincoln will speak at HoP?

markjohns1

The attraction is the Hall of Presidents. The precedent was set to have the sitting president speak. Why should they have to build some sort of proven track record in order to be allowed to speak? It's not the Hall of Great Presidents, nor is it the Hall of Great American History. The decision to have the sitting president speak is not political at all. If they chose to exclude a sitting president from speaking, that would be a political decision.

Lee

Adventurer
Did the sitting President speak in the original version?
Clinton was the first one to speak, and like Yoda said, the president's speech is not political at all. It's just a brief word about the country. Nothing divisive or political at all. Nothing wrong with having it, and in fact it lends an aura of...um...authenticity to the whole attraction.

EpcotServo

The sitting president not speak?
That's just silly.:rolleyes:
It's one of the coolest parts of the attraction.

^
This.

If you want to see him talk turn on CNN,

He is historical because he is the first black president; there is nothing historical about how he won. People were tiered of the last administration, any Democrat would have won, nothing historic about that. It should be a historical attraction; today’s political scene is nasty and has divided the country. I don't want to be reminded of that while I'm in WDW, the man has been anointed and has done nothing yet. Down the road if he is a great President then he should speak. I'm a conservative but I don't think Bush or anyone from the last 40 years should have a speaking role.

^
Not this.

/Done

Mad Stitch

Prepare a speech for each president, and then have devices at each seat that allows the audience to vote on who they want to hear speak. That makes the show interactive and increases the re-ride (for lack of a better term) value. It would be a big referb, but not impossible.

DisneyBoi1215

This is the Hall of Presidents we are talking about, NOT the Hall of Debates! President Obama deserves the chance to be able to speak in the show due to the fact as the PP stated, he is making history as the first African American leader. Just because you're a Republican and dislike Obama, does not mean that WDI should cater to your liking. Obama will speak, regardless of what Repubs may say. :king:

Figment632

Im probaly making to big of a deal about it but I just wish it could be more about the great Presidents through the years I can hear the current one talk at any time.

GothMickey

Prepare a speech for each president, and then have devices at each seat that allows the audience to vote on who they want to hear speak. That makes the show interactive and increases the re-ride (for lack of a better term) value. It would be a big referb, but not impossible.

No more interactive nonsense. This is a historical attraction, not Turtle Talk With the Presidents. The sitting President should speak no matter what. I was not a fan a George Bush from the first day of his Presidency. However, when I visited HoP, I sat through his speech without booing or hissing. Why do something as low and ignorant as that? To an AA no less. Shows how trashy a person really is.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Could be cool. A bunch of us could get together and find out what Millard Filmore has to say.:D

Figment632

This is the Hall of Presidents we are talking about, NOT the Hall of Debates! President Obama deserves the chance to be able to speak in the show due to the fact as the PP stated, he is making history as the first African American leader. Just because you're a Republican and dislike Obama, does not mean that WDI should cater to your liking. Obama will speak, regardless of what Repubs may say. :king:

If that was for me let's get one thing straight I am not a Republican. I am a conservative, there's a big difference. I would say I'm an independent I guess because even though I am for less government and being fiscaly responcible I disagree with the GOP some social issues and other issues. So don't be so quick to label someone politicaly.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Yoda you bring up a lot of good points but my whole argument is the the attraction should be about our countrys rich history not the current political mess. We should not be too quick to annoint these presidents. Later down the road if he is a sucsess then give him a speaking role.

I too wish it were only our past presidents who spoke. I'm a Republican and didn't appreciate hearing Bush booed (even after I stopped admiring the man), and I'm sure we'll hear boos for Obama as well. I look at Disney as an escape from the realities of politics and all that garbage. I hate to have it thrust in my face while I'm visiting the parks. Hence, I quite visiting that attraction.

I'm more than happy to honor those from our past who have given great things. I'd love to hear the likes of George Washington and Lincoln speak however.

The attraction is the Hall of Presidents. The precedent was set to have the sitting president speak. Why should they have to build some sort of proven track record in order to be allowed to speak? It's not the Hall of Great Presidents, nor is it the Hall of Great American History. The decision to have the sitting president speak is not political at all. If they chose to exclude a sitting president from speaking, that would be a political decision.

As Lee and others have said, it is a really neat feature to have the current president bring today's relevance to the attraction. The symmetry of first and last/current is interesting...with Lincoln there representing the turning point of the country.

I share in the embarrassment of booing during George W, but that is the pathetic guests, not the attraction or even the words of his speech. I do think that will be reduced or disappear when the attraction reopens....If anything, the opposite kind of response may very well happen...not that I think that is appropriate either.

I don't know how to take the one comment however....quick to "annoint"???
How is it quick, he is the president, just like the 43 before him, and he was "annointed" in the same way as the others on the first Tuesday in November. If you mean is he a great president...then of course he couldn't be yet. But that is not the purpose of his speaking, it's simply, because he is the current one.

drew_dawg

The Hall of Presidents is a place to honor the men who led this country past and present. I am not a democrat like many of us are not. Some are, good for you. But when I go to the HoP I listen with respect! When Oboma speaks I will listen with respect! This was Walt's vision, to let people hear their leaders, not to say, "Oh, he's Republican!" or "Oh, he's Democrat!" When I go in their I give my respect, and if you like him or not, Obama will speak just like Bush and Clinton did, and we need to go into that great show and leave our political beliefs on the door step, and listen to our past leaders and present leaders with respect!

jt04

I agree with Yoda's take on this. However what everyone seems to be forgetting is that Barak may not want to participate. I think that if he perceives that this is a major multi-national seeking to make money and sell more tickets off him and the Office then he may be hesitant to "add his voice" (pun intended).

He really isn't about helping Wall Street and all that don't you know. And I'd be very suprised if he has much respect for TWDC. Perhaps this is why Jim Hill claims Disney has had trouble scheduling a recording session for Obama to do his HoP speech.:lookaroun

hardcard

Regardless of my political views ( I did NOT vote for Obama ) I think that the 'Hall of Presidents' is a celebration of the american heritage and lineage, regardless of political view.. If the sitting president walked into a room I was in, I would be in awe.. If for the respect of the office and our history, if nothing else..

Having said that.. I don't care who has a speaking role, and who doesn't.... Whatever the WDI guys deside 'makes a good show' is fine by me

People forget that.. They really do.. In the end, we're all americans.. (no offense to those who post from across the ponds) We will NEVER agree on everything, and being able to publically disagree is what makes this country so great..

I HATE when during the state of the union, our representative demonstrate 'partisonship' by not standing, clapping, or cheering as the current president states the facts for the past year.. Regardless of your view on the course we take, be proud to be an american.. Clap for Bush, scream for Obama, Praise Clinton, and cheer for Reagan.. Thats what it's all about.

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

the-reason14

They definately should let Obama speak. This is history here, so they ought to let him speak. If they let Bush and Clinton do it, why stop?

hardcard

Does anyone know how many more presidents can be added before they run out of room?

This question led to the current refurbishment.. apparently a 'reconfiguration' of the current AA's was in order to allow for further 'expansion'

I think the previous physical limit was in the low fifities.

jt04

They definately should let Obama speak. This is history here, so they ought to let him speak. If they let Bush and Clinton do it, why stop?

What if he does not want to? Trust me, if he wants to speak there is no "let", he will be allowed to speak.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom