Only a year and a half away from Harry Potter Land and still nothing from Disney!

EPCOT Explorer

All muggles know that the real magic is at Walt Disney World.

:)

Ditto.

And one more person calls the Wizarding World of Harry Potter "PotterLand" or "PotterWorld" I'm going to virtually shoot them before calling Frontierland, "Cowboy Town" and the World Showcase "Snooze-ville."
*cough*:rolleyes:

:D
Still, it wouldn't hurt Disney to give us a big, richly themed, magical guest experience, now would it?????

Nah, Never would...

I honestly don't see this as a big threat...And with WDW's 40th coming up soon I think we are about to get something pretty cool.

EpcotServo

This two posts are just awesome. Midway Mania tugs at emotions/has a story? A relatively low budget show is better than a huge immersive world? I understand that people love Disney, but some of the stuff in these threads just gets to be ridiculous.

Thanks, It is very awesome.
:wave:

And yes...it does. I grew up with Toy Story, and for me the load dock alone holds more interest than Harry Potter, which has exactly one good book and one good movie to it's name in my mind. The Story alone for Potterland doesn't hold a candle to Midway Mania.

MIDWAY MANIA
You shrink down to the size of a toy and play andy's new "Midway Games" playset with all the toys.

POTTERLAND
You are in wherever-the-heck-hogwarts is. (Which by the way, where is? Somewhere far away? Another Dimenson? The EIGHTH dimenson from Buckaroo Banzai?)

It's very simple, David...
-straightens tie-

/Shaunofthedead

benji

Harry Potter isn't the only competition Disney has next year. Universal Studios will also open the Hollywood Rockit Coaster and Sea World will open the Manta coaster, along with some new aquariums next spring/summer. These two new coasters will be very large and state of the art rides, so Disney needs to think of something quick. Maybe the refurb of Space Mountain will be good enough to keep up with these new coasters and Harry Potter. I think Orlando will have a roller coaster war next year. We haven't had coaster wars since 1999/2000 when Rock n Roller Coaster opened at Disney, Kraken opened at Sea World and Islands of Adventure opened Hulk and Dueling Dragons all in a years time. So I can't wait to next year!

hpyhnt 1000

POTTERLAND
You are in wherever-the-heck-hogwarts is. (Which by the way, where is? Somewhere far away? Another Dimenson? The EIGHTH dimenson from Buckaroo Banzai?)

Actuall, I think its very clearly stated in one of the books that Hogwarts is in Great Britain, disguised as a ruined castle to avoid discovery from Muggles.

Anyway, c'mon folks, there is no way that Disney is in serious trouble here. Its not like US is getting a brand new theme park; they're just putting a new name on an old land. When you boil it down, its the equivalent of turning Mickey Avenue into Pixar Place. Now, I understand that the Harry Potter franchise is more well known and has more of a fan following than Pixar ever will, and the area is much greater than PP, but still, lets not lose our heads people. IoA will still be a one day park, and US will still be a two, maybe three day resort to visit, while Disney is almost a week long experience.

As others have said, Disney would be foolish to announce anything at this point, as it would be seen as trying to "compete" with PotterWor, I mean, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. *whew!* :lol:

Also, let us remember that 2011 will mark 40 years of WDW. The WWoHP is expected to be completed late 2009/early 2010. Expect Disney to reveal significant plans sometime late 2009 regarding the 40th anniversary (I am anyway).

No need to panic people; after all these years, I think the Mouse knows what he's doing. :)

My 2 cents about IOA/US

I've always made a effort to make my way to US/IOA when in Orlando, as spending a day there is usually a nice break from the younger crowds. The problem is, I always end up comparing it with Disney.

What I have found is that Universal Studios (being a GE/NBC run park) doesn't have the disposable income that Disney does to do theming correctly. They cut corners and make rides fall into what I consider 3 categories (the simulator, the coaster, and/or the film). And these all usually include a cheesy effect including water and/or fire.

Now don't get me wrong, Disney does this too. The difference is that it is better at making the theming work (for the most part; yes I realize there are exceptions).

Another thing that lacks is upkeep. When Disney takes a month to do small fixes to rides, it extends the rides lifespan both in terms of appearance and functionality. Universal tends to look only slightly better than Six Flags after a few years.

Thus, when the new addition opens, JK will be pleased (as Mrs. Seuss was when they revealed the rides for that area of IOA), but I cannot see this area aging well.

You ask for specific evidence? Ever look at the Dinos on Jurassic Park? It looks like they being afflicted by a skin condition. How about Jaws? Same problem. ET? The last time I rode it, it said all the bike group member's (is there an easier way to say this?) names in 3 seconds.

Sure Disney has a lot of repairs that need to be done, but I've always found the Universal problems stand out more. Maybe it's just that I'm overcritical of Disney competitors. :lookaroun

So will the new technology being used by Universal affect park attendance? I agree with what's been said; Disney won't hurt much. Universal will see a slight peak in attendance, but I don't see it marking a new era for Universal in it's ability to keep up the the standards that we Disneyphiles tend to expect.

Then again, this was just my 2 cents.

The Empress Lilly

I am a casual fan. I wouldn't mind seeing Pottyland.

I am happy it is at Universal. I don't think Potter belongs in Disney, it somehow doesn't feel fitting to me. That said, I expect Universal to go all out on this one. And I think they will deliver.

Which is good. I hope it will be an enormous succes. An elaborately themed land with top attractions - it's been all too quiet on that front for Disney. I hope they will wake up.

Not to build a directly competing land - one can't compete with Harry Potter. It's a singular brand, a genre in itself, reigning alone and supreme, like, for example, Star Wars.

Disney's answer will have to come from building their own immersive environments. Franchise attractions in backlot wharehouses won't cut it. (Yes, however fun TSM may be)

From the press releases and articles I have read, Universal has said they will spend $250 million on the 'Potter related attraction(s). Seeeing as it cost Disney $100 for Everest, I cant Imagine more than afew restuarants, and a "e-Ticket" type atttraction. Universal isnt exactly swimming in money these days in order to put a whole lot of money into a theme park division that has shown zero to low revenue growth. They also have the Dubai park they're sinking money into in the next few years. The granduer of "'Potter Land" may be a bit exaggerated in my view. Sinking too much money into thier park doesnt give the same return on investment that a larger Resert like Disney does, on a large project. Universal doesnt have the resort base to add revenue to guests attreacted to thier parks. Disney's new additionas are incentive to stay at the Disney Resorts, Universal lacks the room numberes that add the revenue. From an Economic standpoint, anything more than the dollar amount floated out there ($250mil) for the "Potter project, would kill Universal on the bottom line. Not exactly the best time Economically speaking for any type of resort expansion. I'd gamble on mid to late 2010 for any opening of anything 'Potter at Universal. If the UK economy slows any more, thats a hit to the guest count too for 2009.

EPCOT Explorer

Actuall, I think its very clearly stated in one of the books that Hogwarts is in Great Britain, disguised as a ruined castle to avoid discovery from Muggles.

Anyway, c'mon folks, there is no way that Disney is in serious trouble here. Its not like US is getting a brand new theme park; they're just putting a new name on an old land. When you boil it down, its the equivalent of turning Mickey Avenue into Pixar Place. Now, I understand that the Harry Potter franchise is more well known and has more of a fan following than Pixar ever will, and the area is much greater than PP, but still, lets not lose our heads people. IoA will still be a one day park, and US will still be a two, maybe three day resort to visit, while Disney is almost a week long experience.

As others have said, Disney would be foolish to announce anything at this point, as it would be seen as trying to "compete" with PotterWor, I mean, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. *whew!* :lol:

Also, let us remember that 2011 will mark 40 years of WDW. The WWoHP is expected to be completed late 2009/early 2010. Expect Disney to reveal significant plans sometime late 2009 regarding the 40th anniversary (I am anyway).

No need to panic people; after all these years, I think the Mouse knows what he's doing. :)
That's what I was thinking!Great minds think alike.
:lol:

I'll admit that, at one point, I was a fairly avid Harry Potter fan, but the excitement has worn off over the years. But deep down, I'll always be a Disney nerd. :)

Agreed...The craze has worn off and I think it's just a fad anyway.

CTXRover

I will definetely go to check out the WWOHP. While I'm not a big fan of Harry Potter, I understand and respect its huge popularity and I think it will make for a very neat theme park environment if done right.

A lot of talk has gone into what is Disney doing to respond to the new land which opens in 2009. However, from the looks of things, all that will be done by 2009 for the new land is rethemeing of two older rides, a restaurant and creating several new themed buildings. I also assume given the location of the new large warehouse buildng being built that the Hogwart's experience will be done, which from what I've read sounds like it may be very fun. However, the big gun for the land is the new, 'groundbreaking' ride, which we've heard very little about and likely will not even open till late 2010 or 2011 from recent reports. By then, I'm sure Disney will have something new built and ready to open to respond.

Besides, for the past 5+ years, Disney has opened one new attraction and experience after another, some huge, some less, while Universal parks stayed stagnant. Its about time they created something new to lure visitors.

Legacy

You'll find my mind is just brimming with great ideas! :lol:

Legacy, I must admit, that is a great point. However, keep in mind that Disney already does SWW, so even after all these years, Star Wars is still popular enough to support a major theme park event.

Stars Wars has also hit a cult status that has been going for... oh... a few decades now. It's hard to compare Harry Potter's Universe with that galaxy far, far away. It's VERY possible that in ten or twenty years there's a HPW event held at IoA where thousands come to gawk at a thirty-something Emma Watson.

disneydiva72

I can not wait for the Harry Potter park to open, Im not a huge HP fan or anything but I think the park is going to be awesome, after seeing IOA, I was taken back that there really is a world (park) outside of Disney that is just as fabulous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom