Only a year and a half away from Harry Potter Land and still nothing from Disney!

Rayray

Dueling Dragons is being rethemed to the Triwizard Cup Tournament and the Flying Unicorn is being rethemed to Hagrid's Hyppogryph (sp).

But (it's funny how Disney fans are ignoring this aspect of it) Universal is also building a fully explorable recreation of Hoggwarts Castle and a new "E Ticket" attraction utilizing Kuka Robocoaster technology (the stuff Disney wanted for an Incredibles attraction) rumored to be themed off of the flying car from Chamber of Secrets. Also, a recent article posted on Themeparkinsider had a Universal chef discussing some of the things they were developing for the new resturaunts... to include Butterbeer.

Furthermore, they have the set designers from the movies working with the parks to ensure consistancy between the film and the new attractions.

And one more person calls the Wizarding World of Harry Potter "PotterLand" or "PotterWorld" I'm going to virtually shoot them before calling Frontierland, "Cowboy Town" and the World Showcase "Snooze-ville."

Well I think I've found the spokesperson for Potterland...er, the "Wizarding World of Harry Potter(tm)."

Just kidding

Legacy

Well I think I've found the spokesperson for Potterland...er, the "Wizarding World of Harry Potter(tm)."

Just kidding

And to think... I wrote the April Fool's article about the copyright agent from England heading to the States to give Harry Potter to Disney... :lookaroun

uklad79

Rowling gave the rights to Universal and not Disney. She wouldn't have given them away if Universal Creative didn't know what they were doing with it.

If she was giving them away she would have loved to give them to Disney as I am sure she can see the diffrence in the details and money Disney spends on it's parks. The fact they were not infact given away but sold to the highest bidder no doubt is why Universal is building Potter Planet. Disney doesn't need to buy the rights to Potter for a high price because it wouldn't be worth it for them.

FreedomWrangler

I'm a casual Harry Potter fan (read books 1-3, watched all of the movies) and will visit WWoHP.

I'm also a casual Disney fan at this point but will continue to stay at Disney property. What is so great about Disney is the day-to-day exceptional treatment of guests by CM's.

I haven't been to US/IoA since the mid 90's and I'm sure much has changed. But I never received the same type of people experience there as at WDW.

I'm more enamored with the persistent excellence at WDW; the fact they pull it off everyday for. . . what like 60 years now is amazing. Disney knows the business and pulls it off in spades. They will continue to get the bulk of my FL theme park dollars.

For me, the effort of the CM's make the difference through all Disney property. I just didn't get the same "warm and fuzzies" at US/IoA.

My $.02 worth (€0.0127) :p

Legacy

If she was giving them away she would have loved to give them to Disney as I am sure she can see the diffrence in the details and money Disney spends on it's parks. The fact they were not infact given away but sold to the highest bidder no doubt is why Universal is building Potter Planet. Disney doesn't need to buy the rights to Potter for a high price because it wouldn't be worth it for them.

It wasn't a "highest bidder" model. It was a "who will do what I want" model. Disney wouldn't give Rowling final creative say... because Disney will never give anybody other than Disney final creative say. Universal said, "This is our idea... but we would love your insight." Disney said, "This is what we would do... take it or leave it."

Disney wanted Harry Potter as much as the next person... if for anything to keep Universal from getting him.

hokielutz

Think of it as an extra royalty expense that Disney would have to pay (on top of the startup infrastructure costing $300M) for foot-traffic they already have. The bump in attendance might not have made the venture as lucrative as putting in your own attractions.

Legacy

Think of it as an extra royalty expense that Disney would have to pay (on top of the startup infrastructure costing $300M) for foot-traffic they already have. The bump in attendance might not have made the venture as lucrative as putting in your own attractions.

From the company that made a 40 year old attraction a multi-million dollar movie franchise so they could see an increase in attendance? Disney is known for franchise overkill in every sense of the word. Most of the complaints we hear about on this site are in regards to Pixar and Stitch... and the Potter license is probably worth more than both of those together. Disney wouldn't ignore a revenue source like that.

Read back a few years (like four). There were rumblings then that Disney was trying to get into Hoggwarts...

I think Disney is already acting proactively to Uni's Potter. Disney knows that Universal, even with Potter, is still only going to be looked at as a two-day park experience. Furthermore, they know that Potter will probably also bring in a substantially greater number of people to the Orlando area than this year and most of 2009. So, Disney is making their resort experience more revived and more expansive. Basically, if you can't stop them from going to Uni at least you can entice them all to stay on Disney property and visit both Uni and Disney parks. I think the DVC expansions and the efforts to renovate the resorts show that Disney is expecting more guest rooms to be filled come the fall of 2009.

uklad79

It wasn't a "highest bidder" model. It was a "who will do what I want" model. Disney wouldn't give Rowling final creative say... because Disney will never give anybody other than Disney final creative say. Universal said, "This is our idea... but we would love your insight." Disney said, "This is what we would do... take it or leave it."

Disney wanted Harry Potter as much as the next person... if for anything to keep Universal from getting him.

I am taking it from the quotes you were at the meetings or have read actual quotes. Can you point me in the direction of them as I am baffled that greedy JK Rowling went for a company paying a lower amount over the other.

comics101

I think Disney is already acting proactively to Uni's Potter. Disney knows that Universal, even with Potter, is still only going to be looked at as a two-day park experience. Furthermore, they know that Potter will probably also bring in a substantially greater number of people to the Orlando area than this year and most of 2009. So, Disney is making their resort experience more revived and more expansive. Basically, if you can't stop them from going to Uni at least you can entice them all to stay on Disney property and visit both Uni and Disney parks. I think the DVC expansions and the efforts to renovate the resorts show that Disney is expecting more guest rooms to be filled come the fall of 2009.

My thoughts exactly. Very well said.

sweetale

I take the opposing side: I don't think Harry Potter Land is going to STOP people from also visiting Disney. I can't see someone really debating over going to Universal vs. Disney. For those who only like Universal and do not care for Disney, they would go to Universal anyways. For those who love Harry Potter but also like Disney, they will probably go to both parks.:shrug: Most people I know try to fit both into one trip, spending most of their time at Disney and a day or two at Universal. That's just my 2 cents! (Perhaps I'm too biased and love Disney too much...although I am a huge HP fan and will probably go and check out the new attraction!)

Frank Stallone

The nerds are going to go to the Wizarding Nerdville of Harry Potter no matter what. Disney doesn't need to build a new attraction or land to compete with Harry Potterville.

However, it would be interesting if Disney brought in a Star Trek themed land, then Disney and Universal could compete to see which park generated the most mouth breathing.

bfbulldog

Nothing Disney does will stop those who want to see The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter. Either people really want to see it or they don't. There really aren't "casual" Harry Potter fans. Most people either love it and won't miss the attraction if they are in Orlando, or don't give a darn and therefore could take it or leave it. Harry Potter fans aren't going to be lured away from going to Universal by the addition of something else at Disney. Just my opinion anyway.

Well said and 100% true. Potter fans will flock to Universal and a rehab of space mountain or an addition of an attraction or two will not prevent this from occuring

scottnj1966

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will come to Islands of Adventure in late 2009.

The only new attractions to fight off the Wizarding World of Harry Potter Land at Universal are going to be Toy Story Mania and American Idol Experience? :shrug:

Toy Story Mania is great, but not something that is going to stop people from traveling to Harry Potter Land. American Idol is a love/hate relationship for most of America, so that attraction isn't going to be enough either.

Is Disney assuming that there isn't a need to put up a fight against this and that it won't be as popular as we seem to think?

I mean, they haven't even announced anything regarding future plans, nor are they building anything attraction wise to combat it. What gives?!

Even a full rehab to a classic like Space Mountain isn't going to stop people from traveling off of Disney property to go see Harry Potter Land.

Universal and its IOA has never been an issue with Disney. Universal is having so many problems getting people to come to there parks. They continue to try to nickle and dime guests because of the numerous money issues they keep running into.
I had an annual pass for a few years to the parks. The quality and the people are in par with six flags at best. People come here to go to Disney and take a couple days to go to Universal. So Disney really does not have to do anything to get back people they never lost.

Chezman1399

If they handle Potter land like they did with Jurassic Park. It will be awesome to stand in, have 1 ride for kids, and 1 ride that's good, but rather short. IoA is such a waste of space. I'm not saying it's bad though I'm just saying Universal has lots and lots of Empty space at that park that they've done almost nothing with. That will always be my problem with Universal, there is never enough to do there to keep me occupied.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom