One Sentence Competition - Season 5 Episode 2

Orange Cat

(for lack of a better name) S.E.ACret CENTER replaces Arabian coast & is a hidden underwater base consisting of midnight expedition (dark thrill ride), turbulence training (indoor rollercoaster)’ spyware (gift-shop)’ & oishī kaki (restaurant), so have a thrilling time in this new port.
C8B07E12-7DFB-46CD-BC27-615F5864D9C0.jpeg

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Victorian Waterfront
480-177-7.jpg
Set in a nondescript European village themed to Gothic and science-fiction novels, this lavish land will trend Tokyo DisneySea towards literature based environments, as across from the Jules Verne inspired Mysterious Island, guests will transition towards a thriller E-Ticket dark ride hybrid based on H.G. Wells' The Time Machine, a D-Ticket based on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, as well as an assortment of quaint Dickens inspired shops and restaurants.

D Hulk

Original Poster
REVIEWS

Victorian Waterfront
480-177-7.jpg

Set in a nondescript European village themed to Gothic and science-fiction novels, this lavish land will trend Tokyo DisneySea towards literature based environments, as across from the Jules Verne inspired Mysterious Island, guests will transition towards a thriller E-Ticket dark ride hybrid based on H.G. Wells' The Time Machine, a D-Ticket based on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, as well as an assortment of quaint Dickens inspired shops and restaurants.
Victorian Waterfront
@spacemt354

Tokyo DisneySea’s ports-of-call have always had a fantastic sense of place, often inspired by real world historical cultures. You’ve perfectly nailed that style. From the name, I assume this would be taking the place of American Waterfront, replacing one Dickensian turn-of-the century city with another. It’s very easy to imagine Victorian Waterfront realized with the same level of astounding detail!

The literary rides and restaurants are all very appealing. The only issue is that between this and Mysterious Island, DisneySea might be suffering from steampunk overload. There are worse things, because DisneySea does steampunk wonderfully, but I do have to nitpick something. (Also you didn’t specify where this is going – I assumed a location – and in retrospect that’s a big deal.)

Random aside: Two weeks ago in a bar I met an Imagineer who worked on DisneySea’s Mysterious Island. He was a scintillating conversationalist, soft-spoken and self-effacing, and with nothing but horrible things to say about Walt Disney Studios Park.

(for lack of a better name) S.E.ACret CENTER replaces Arabian coast & is a hidden underwater base consisting of midnight expedition (dark thrill ride), turbulence training (indoor rollercoaster)’ spyware (gift-shop)’ & oishī kaki (restaurant), so have a thrilling time in this new port.View attachment 440783
S.E.A.Cret Center
@Disneypugs.

The Society of Explorers and Adventurers (S.E.A.) is a major part of DisneySea, however a relatively subtle part. By making S.E.A. your land’s explicit theme, I fear you lose some of the charm with DisneySea’s other S.E.A. elements. There is no fun world culture or setting here, it’s simply a S.E.A. HQ. This seems visually drab. The grey block of art doesn’t help.

Additionally, by replacing the family-friendly Arabian Coast with a thrill-heavy land, DisneySea’s balance is tipped too far away from children. Replacing, say, Lost River Delta would have worked out better. Your similarities to Mysterious Island (e.g. an underwater dark ride) would be less noticeable too.

D Hulk

Original Poster
Daimyō Village

View attachment 440668

A traditional Japanese fishing town, Daimyō Village takes guests back to a simpler time: of traditions, noble samurai, and the feudal lords called the Daimyō; this will replace the Lost River Delta due to potential similarities with Disneyland's Adventureland and feature two attractions: a trackless dark ride telling a young fishermen's ascent to ninja and later samurai (utilizing the just-invented trackless stealth to its advantage), and an expansive roller coaster where you ride the much-beloved Japanese dragons across Mount Fuji.
Daimyo Village
@Outbound

First I’m gonna call out both you and @Evilgidgit for helping other players in this round. I love seeing such camaraderie!

In all of Disney’s Asian parks, it’s curious how they’ve never explored the local culture…at least not in any depth. Elsewhere in Japan, feudal attractions are very popular, and I see no reason they wouldn’t be popular in DisneySea as well. The fantastical Disney touch would certainly set Daimyo Village apart. That playful whimsy is found in both attractions. Each is fun, realistic for the era, and – best of all- 100% non-IP original! The dragon coaster is especially intriguing; to this day, DisneySea has no good roller coasters
(Journey to the Center of the Earth isn’t a coaster), and yours just might change that.

View attachment 440666

Atlantis

In what Disney hopes to be the next big movie, Tokyo Disney Sea opens with a Port of Atlantis based around the movie that released a few months earlier; this Port of Call will open with a walk-through attraction showcasing Altlantian history though the years in big works of art and displays leading into the Ports gift shop where you can purchase Atlantian goods, as well as a "submarine" indoor coaster based on the underwater leviathan attack, and a shooter ride not dissimilar to Buzz Lightyears Astro Blasters where guests board Kataks (fish shaped war vessels) in order to protect Atlantis from invasion.
Atlantis
@gam3rprincess

Atlantis: The Lost Empire is underrated. It’s a shame it never caught on, because it would be ideal for theme parks. Incidentally, are you familiar with Tony Baxter’s proposed Atlantis retheme of Disneyland’s subs which would’ve happened around this time?

Rare%2Bdl%2Batlantis%2Bexpedition%2Bart2.png

They would’ve built a volcano crater up around the ride and everything! Ideas which certainly migrated to DisneySea – where failed Imagineering concepts are reborn. You don’t specify a location for your land, sadly, so I’m assuming it would replace Mysterious Island.

Okay, I’m rambling. Both attractions sound appealing and unique. IF you’re replacing Mysterious Island, then an underwater coaster isn’t redundant with the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride. I really wish you’d specified a location!

D Hulk

Original Poster
PIRATE'S PORT OF CALL
View attachment 440663
In order to contrast with the Mermaid Lagoon based land, we have Pirate's Port of Call using the expansion space meant for the expansion port, the land will receive a revolutionary shooting gallery based e-ticket dark ride based on the shootouts between pirate and navy ships, with points being counted for the amount of treasure you get which you can earn by shooting at valuables or Mariners, along with a Mediterranean restaurant themed to Mariner based urban legends and folklore, a clone of the Pirates League, and finally a museum shop dedicated to the lives and history of pirates, although it would later receive a clone of the shanghai version of Pirates in 2022, which resulted in the pirates league closing and our first dark ride having it's track shortened so the building would fit.
Pirate’s Port of Call
@Tux

A piracy land is extremely on-brand for DisneySea, and it would fit and balance the park very nicely. Pirates Cove in Shanghai Disneyland is their best thing, with DisneySea-level details. You had a little early hiccup by proposing Shanghai’s POTC ride over a decadce too early, so kudos on the correction. This is another immersive, cultural land I would very much like to visit, and by locating it in DisneySea’s still-unused expansion pad, maybe someday I will…

I had to look up what Pirates League is. (It’s a cruise line boutique thing?) You can always include website links for obscurities like that.

Incidentally, for some unholy reason, POTC is seemingly Tokyo Disneyland’s least popular ride! Even though it’s the excellent Disneyland version. I’m not sure if it’s the topic or what. Based on that, I’m not if Oriental Land Company would greenlight more piracy next door…but I’m not holding this against you.

Olympia Harbour
(Replacing Lost River Delta)

latest

Marked by the Colossus of Rhodes, the Greco-Roman mythical port of Olympia Harbour is home to Greek heroes, gods, legends, and monsters, feat. a Pirates-sized Odyssey indoor boat ride, a suspended dark ride based on Hercules, a thriving agora market, an explorable replica of the Argo, a mythical beast spinner, a Greek amphitheatre where the Muses perform, and a TS restaurant within Dionysus' temple.
Olympia Harbour
@Evilgidgit

“Harbo(u)r?” You’re so British! :p

Oh my goodness this land is packed! You had me at “Pirate-sized indoor Odyssey boat ride,” then you kept piling on the additional goodness. And while Greek lands are nothing new in Armchair Imagineering, they’re always welcome. DisneySea would be an especially great place for one. The park’s detail-oriented magical realist style – reflected well in your image – would make for a nicely earthy Greece.

If you said where this would be in the park, you’d be in the running for the top spot. (Thematically & spatially, this would fit in the Arabian Coast pad.) That’s the proposal’s one flaw. With other top notch ideas on display, that’ll hurt.

D Hulk

Original Poster
Challenge 6 results!

So, nobody wanted to replace Port Discovery?! I totally get it, Aquatopia is amazing.

Honestly, with these proposals, we might have enough to make an entire DisneySea of all-new lands. The top proposals specified locations (that wound up being a very big deciding factor), while all the medalists offered enticing, immersive, ambitious lands.

Bronze medal (1 point)
25378926288_0282b49fa8_o_d.png

(TIE)
@EvilgidgitOlympia Harbour & @spacemt354Victorian Waterfront
The immersion, imagination & ambition here would make both gold medal contenders. If only you’d specified a location…

Silver medal (2 points)
25378923678_32843d468b_o_d.png

@OutboundDaimyo Village
This has a nice mixture of historical realism and Disney magic. Selling Japan to the Japanese could be risky?

Gold medal (3 points)
25378924938_877ca558df_o_d.png

@TuxPirate’s Port of Call
Alright, have it your way. I like your cookin’.

NSFW

Cheers to everyone who contributed! Challenge 7 will appear at noon (EST) tomorrow.

D Hulk

Original Poster
CHALLENGE 7
2010s

enhance

Disney Parks’ biggest innovation of the 2010s wasn’t a new ride, land or park, but rather MagicBands – RFID-enabled wristbands meant to make Walt Disney World more interactive and personalized than ever. But with a $1 billion pricetag, it feels like MagicBands’ potential has barely been realized thus far!

Your task is to propose something more Disney could do with their MagicBands.

-Rules-
Use only a single sentence to describe your idea. You may also use one image if you wish, that is optional. The deadline is Mondary, January 20th, 2020, at midnight EST.

(That's one day after the Sorcerer's Apprentice challenge is due.)

-Tips-
K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple, Silly! We are officially back to one sentence, so don’t overcomplicate things. Think of this like an initial brainstorming session.

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

Good luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!

spacemt354

Chili's
MagicBand Series 2
71ch8VExeLL._AC_SX679_.jpg

In partnership with Apple, with the release of the Apple Watch in 2015, the Disney MagicBand is redesigned as a customized resort-wide version of the product, with all the bells and whistles of the previous MagicBand incarnation, plus allowing guests to make Fastpasses, dining, check wait-times, receive live in-park alerts, and as a bonus, synchronize to your phone and any Apple products.

Outbound

Disney's MagiMap
1579148421141.png

Following the footsteps of smash-hit shortlived-fad Pokemon Go, the newest (and extra expensive) MagicBand features a touchscreen map of your Disney resort: perfect for easy transit around the park and checking wait times; but the real excitement is the MagiMap, a VR minigame to play at Disney parks, where you see your own custom character wandering the parks... you start with the fab five, and collect more characters as you navigate the resort, using VR from a camera at the back of to "interact" with a character you are trying to collect, tapping on them while they try to dodge; the aim of the game is to collect as many characters as possible because if you get all those from a certain theme/IP you can earn a free Fastpass; the app encourages you to visit new locations throughout your resort, hopefully increasing the time you spend; lastly, as this is a MagicBand, no data rates will be applied: so everyone can play!

Following the footsteps of smash-hit shortlived-fad Pokemon Go, the newest MagicBand features a touchscreen map of your Disney resort: perfect for easy transit around the park and checking wait times; but the real excitement is the MagiMap, a VR minigame to play at Disney parks, where you see your own custom character wandering the parks - to start you choose one of the fab five - to get new characters you must find them within the resort (for example, go to Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger spin, and you have a high chance at finding Buzz Lightyear, an occasional chance at the Aliens or Zurg, and a rare chance at Woody; whereas Big Thunder Mountain has a high chance of Woody and other frontier characters; then Midway Mania has equal shots at Woody and Buzz along with other Toy Story and even a rare few Pixar characters, everyone's sorta merged together and there's no one direct place to get one exact character) the aim of the game is to collect your favorite characters to show off when wandering the park: collect all the members of a theme (running with this example, the Toy Story theme) and you win a free fastpass; but there is a bit more than just luck involved, as you'll have a camera on the other side of your MagicBand connecting to the real world a la Pokemon Go where you must tap the character (who randomly avoids your attempts to catch them) overall this encourages exploration, as the app guides you to new locations with the "character search", which should hopefully also increase the time (and by extent money) guests spend in the resort... lastly, as this is a MagicBand and not a phone, the game is free for all to play, regardless of their mobile data situation.

Last edited:

Flippin'Flounder

MagicBand Series 2
71ch8VExeLL._AC_SX679_.jpg

In partnership with Apple, with the release of the Apple Watch in 2015, the Disney MagicBand is redesigned as a customized resort-wide version of the product, with all the bells and whistles of the previous MagicBand incarnation, plus allowing guests to make Fastpasses, dining, check wait-times, receive live in-park alerts, and as a bonus, synchronize to your phone and any Apple products.
As a side note, Apple Watches have all the capabilities of a Magic Band and I'm annoyed that I can't use mine as one.

Orange Cat

CODE R.E.D MAGIC-BANDS are a mysterious item that can be bought for 20$ extra For one person or 40$ For 4 guests with all the capability’s of a regular magic-band & the ability to interact with the environment or even get discounts if you show certain imagineers your new & improved magic bands & you can also get a red ticket afterwards that can be used at participating disney stores, so try to find all the uses & secrets of your new magic-band.
426B22DE-3E6D-43A9-B9F0-C4A8FBA5ABE7.png

Last edited:

Tux

MAGICBAND PLUS
1579554017773.png

This update of the Magic Band system improves it significantly by debugging the whole entire system so it doesn't have an error every five seconds, adding a GPS feature, keeping track of inserted information to make your experience in the parks more personal, recording records and other information from interactive queues, holding a music app feature that allows you to listen to your favorite songs during your travels although the feature requires earbuds to work (don't worry, with all of these implements, Magic Bands will now come with Earbuds so you can use these features!) since we don't want people to play It's A Small World while your trying to enjoy The Tower Of Terror, allowing a feature that makes it possible to track phones and other electronics while in the parks while connected through an app, and an inbuilt Disney+ & Hulu app if you have an account, although an extended free trial does come with the purchase of a Magic Band, all for an increased price of $29.40.

AceAstro

Magic Band Traders

9B5E103D-AC6C-4E12-AAE4-AE1A687B631E.jpeg

Much like pins, vinylmations, etc, Disney fans love collecting and trading the latest Disney merch and now Disney is supporting to too by making Magic Bands more about collecting and trading: from taking out the centre part to have the centre be different from the rest of the band, to offering display options (like the “wreath” above) for guests to show off all the bands they own, Disney is making it so guests can truly customize their accessories!​

Evilgidgit

Been sitting here clueless trying to think what to do, so consider this my "wing it" round.

MAGIC BANDS - THE E-TICKET UPGRADE
51b3jvop1dL._SL1284_.jpg

The next, efficient upgrade to Magic Bands improves its established settings, but comes with a flavouring of new features: GPS tracking of your phone and other devices; access to a Disney-equivalent of Google Maps called Magic Maps, giving guests access to interactive park maps on their devices; a unique ability to feed the Disney attractions' audio directly into personal audio devices (if you want to blot out the noise of other guests during attractions, parades, etc.); and the Character Sense-Sation, a feature that allows guests to know which Disney characters are wandering the lands, or participating M&Gs, complete with accurate schedules and durations.

pix

osc8.jpg

Bringing the Magic to Magicbands

Magic Bands had the right idea just poor execution; to alleviate that there will be more beta testing before launch AND it will launch with a few new features, namely the magic app, an app that connects your Magic Band to your phone as a way to track all those steps through the park, give you wait-times of nearby rides, weather alerts for your exact location, and magic band activated minigames in queue lines; there will also be more parkwide games such as Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom in each park and a few select resorts to keep the kids entertained in some of the more adult focused parks and when the parents just want to relax poolside.

D Hulk

Original Poster
REVIEWS

Full disclosure: I still haven’t gone over to WDW (I know, I know…), so I have no experience with MagicBands. Please excuse any confusion.

Been sitting here clueless trying to think what to do, so consider this my "wing it" round.

MAGIC BANDS - THE E-TICKET UPGRADE
51b3jvop1dL._SL1284_.jpg

The next, efficient upgrade to Magic Bands improves its established settings, but comes with a flavouring of new features: GPS tracking of your phone and other devices; access to a Disney-equivalent of Google Maps called Magic Maps, giving guests access to interactive park maps on their devices; a unique ability to feed the Disney attractions' audio directly into personal audio devices (if you want to blot out the noise of other guests during attractions, parades, etc.); and the Character Sense-Sation, a feature that allows guests to know which Disney characters are wandering the lands, or participating M&Gs, complete with accurate schedules and durations.
MagicBands – The E-Ticket Upgrade
@Evilgidgit

I share your cluelessness on this prompt; that’s why I’m having other people do it, HA! In some ways MagicBands, for all their innovation, already feel outdated since apps do a lot of the same things. Your proposal mostly adds app features to the Band. Which is a solid, realistic idea. My favorite notion is the noise feature that blots out other guests yammering (perfect for Haunted Mansion’s Stretching Room!). I’d like to see a feature which makes guests physically vanish as well! :D

Overall, this would improve in-park functionality, but would largely go unnoticed by more casual guests.

Magic Band Traders

View attachment 442558

Much like pins, vinylmations, etc, Disney fans love collecting and trading the latest Disney merch and now Disney is supporting to too by making Magic Bands more about collecting and trading: from taking out the centre part to have the centre be different from the rest of the band, to offering display options (like the “wreath” above) for guests to show off all the bands they own, Disney is making it so guests can truly customize their accessories!
MagicBand Traders
@AceAstro

I wasn’t expected a non-techy proposal, so you’ve caught me off guard. Yeah, this sort of elaborate customization is certainly something Disney does better than most brands. And since they’re not a tech co., you’re smart to go in this direction. (Does Disney currently do anything more than just personalized colors & characters?) So, uh…overall a very distinctive take on the prompt. No idea how it’ll stack up yet. (I’m reading these cold in reverse order.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom