One Sentence Competition: Holiday Fun

Tony the Tigger

Finding Christmas with Nemo & friends

After Dory remembers to tell Marlin that Nemo is trying to swim to the North Pole to find Santa, they go after him, encountering all kinds of risky moments along the way but also making a new friend in Kris the camel shrimp!

Once they’re all safe, Nemo is thrilled to see Crush’s family pulling a giant clamshell two-by-two like a sleigh, with Kris in the seat of honor tossing presents from the sea to all, and the little clownfish learns that Christmas is found wherever his family is.

BB49F4DD-97E6-435A-89D1-5D9D0655DAA0.jpeg

ThemeParkPriest

The Wise Men Who Found Christmas
“The Wise Men Who Found Christmas” is the animated version of the children’s book by Raymond Arroyo, which brings together the true meaning of Christmas with the latest historical discoveries (including the probability that the wise men were from Arabia and not Persia). Learn the true identities of the mystery men–Balthasaar, Melchoir, and Caspar–who followed the royal Christmas star from their homeland all the way to Bethlehem, the town of King David in Israel, to bring special gifts to the baby Jesus.
6201-WiseMen-front-cover-d_1__40232.jpg

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
Fuyu - The song of winter

B66C9391-7C9F-4177-A956-B8037DD62E08.jpeg

Studio Ghibli is proud to present Fuyu, a hand-drawn animation film taking place in the very warm Okinawa, Japan, in a village called “Chīsana machi“ (small town in Japanese), where our main character, Fuyu, has absolutely nothing to do with his life, until he discovers an old abandoned library in the mountains, and after exploring it, finds a magical book, the song of winter, that tells of the magic of holiday festivities around the world, with magic verses to make them reality for a moment, giving Fuyu a mission: to bring the magic, the song, and the holidays to this small town, even if total chaos will appear… This family movie is 1 hour and 30 minutes long, and will be released all around the world through a contract with Disney, making this a beautiful little movie everyone can enjoy!

tcool123

Original Poster
Reviews.png

PUNK Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree by @Tegan pilots a chicken
With Millenials and Gen Z growing up with many of these artists and beginning to have kids I could see this being a great time for them to get into the swing of these updated holiday classics. With Christmas songs being enjoyed by many though this special would be able to find its place amongst the hearts of many others for all who watch it.

The Super Mario Movie: Super Star Christmas by @Disney Warrior
With the new film already polling to be one of the most anticipated animated films of 2023 it makes sense to create a holiday special from the ensured success of the film. The cast of Mario characters are much beloved and throwing their colorful environment into a Christmas film just makes sense. This comradery amongst all is in line with the Mario universe, and sounds like fun for the whole family.

A Hanna-Barbera Christmas Carol by @Brer Panther
Hanna-Barbera all well known for doing major crossover events like this one so this seems like a natural fit in to the Barbera verse. The characters selected fit their roles like a charm and you have all the classic heavy hitters represented. This has the makings of being an instant classic thanks to the usage of old school characters, and if done properly could become a beloved version of the story.

Despicable Christmas by @MickeyMouse10
The fact the Minions don't have a proper Christmas special is criminal, and yes I'm aware of the shorts but they're intertwined with generic shorts as well there's no full length story. This sounds just as zany as the hijinks we have come to expect from the Despicable franchise with none of this being out of the realm of possibility. The minion fight scene sounds chaotic, and based on the last Minions film that means its perfect for this kinda film.

Steven Spielberg Presents Roger Rabbit's Very Toon Christmas Special by @DisneyFan32
You went over the sentence limit again which means that once again you will not be receiving any points. In addition, for violating the rules twice in a row after being warned your submission will not be receiving a proper review. It sounds cool.

The Quest for Christmas by @MagicKingdom4Ever
I for one would love to hear the rest of this concepts plot as these first two sentences sound very interesting. It has the heart many specials have, a unique premise through the airships and magical worlds, and compelling sounding characters. While saving Christmas may be overdone I think the framing device you have set up for your story was an excellent way to deliver something we haven't quite seen before.

A Goofy Christmas Movie by @Pi on my Cake
The Goofy Movie duology is beloved today by many with the first being looked backed on by many as one of the best Disney films of the era as well as cementing the popularity of Goofy and Max. A Christmas film mixing the elements of the roadtrip from the first and the extreme sports of the second makes logical sense as it combines what many loved from the other films while keeping it fresh. The cherry on top is the fact that the setting is Blizzard Beach giving the water park and its mascot the love it deserves.

Donner and the Lost Northern Lights by @Evilgidgit
Drawing on the mythology of other places is a great way to bring about a whole new holiday classic. The concept is unique as not many may be familiar with the folklore, but its something that feels like a wholesome take of a wintery story that can be enjoyed by young and all. It's an interesting concept, and one that I think has great appeal. Would love to see more of the story one day.

Fantasia: Winter Wonderlands by @TheSorcerersApprentice
Fantasia as originally created was of course always meant to be changing with the times, and this concept is a great way to highlight this idea that Walt Disney had back in development of the film. This special shows the understanding of Fantasia with more mature elements shining through as well as jovial and comedic segments with classic older segments such as Ave Maria brought back perfectly encapsulating what Fantasia was.

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year by @mickeyfan5534
What's crazy is that in just two sentences you were able to capture the magic that encapsulates many of the beloved Rankin-Bass classics that have gone on to define the holidays in American pop culture. The plot is simple yet endearingly classic Christmas with it being easy to follow and enjoyable for all ages. Overall, a rather cherry endeavor reminiscent of holiday specials of old.

Finding Christmas with Nemo & Friends by @Tony the Tigger
Google a camel shrimp and that's a great fit for the holidays given its peppermint like color it naturally has that would likely help it stand out against the typical trio. What gets me is that is their a fish Santa with Crush as the Rudolph type? That said the message is sweet and resonates with all who celebrate the holidays.

The Wise Men Who Found Christmas by @ThemeParkPriest
A holiday special based on religion from the priest? Who would've guessed ;) All joking aside the fact the special pays closer attention to recent historical findings already helps this special stand out to me from other religious films that tend to come out about the holiday. The mystery behind the Wise Men isn't often explored, and I think that would be a good way to offer up a special and different take on the Birth of Jesus story.

Fuyu - The Song of Winter by @Architectural Guinea Pig
I had just about finished up the post right when you posted! Do try to post a little closer to the deadline for the next prompt, but I'll let it slide just this once for the holidays ;) . Fuyu sounds like a lovely story filled with holiday heart, and is a musical it seems which I think is a first for Ghibli? Either way this would likely be an instant beloved anime holiday favorite given its ties to Ghibli and feel good message.

Results.png

Even with the tighter schedule of prompts y'all never cease to amaze me with how amazing your work turns out. However, while you all did fantastic and each one of these would be fantastic concepts to watch we do need to do our rankings.

HM.png

Fantasia: Winter Wonderlands was a great way to continue the legacy of the Fantasia franchise with the latest installment combining new and old segments alongside more abstract and artistic concepts paired with comedic ones that embrace what the film franchise is. I really do think this could be the future of the Fantasia franchise if Disney decided with other old shorts being great fits (Nutcracker Suite, Tin Soldier, Pines of Rome, The Little Match Girl). That said the shorts described capture the magic of the winter in a great way that is sure to warm anyone's holiday spirit.

Third Place.png

Despicable Christmas gives the franchise a proper holiday special with the motives of the characters in check with the rest of the franchise. One of Gru's daughters got coal? Of course his only logical solution is to takeover the North Pole! The premise just sounds like good old holiday hijinks, and the added detail of the climatic Minions fight is the cherry on top in this comedic action packed special.

Second Place.png

Taking on a piece of folklore and transforming it into a holiday special is a great way to tackle the prompt as I mentioned. The fox characters sounds like they would be absolutely adorable with its aurora borealis color palette as an extra reason to love it. No doubt will tears be shed as the fox must depart the little girl towards the end in order to bring back aurora borealis, but this pitch just screams a great wintery time.

First Place.png

What sold me was the framing devices of the holiday worlds, airships and evil ice queen as they all combine together to give a Christmas story about a girl whose lost her father a fresh new take that will be sure to delight many as they enjoy the wondrous quest taken on by these lovable cast of characters. Great job!

The tie for first has been broken with their now being a lead, but fret not as the competition is still very close and truly most anyone can still take home the Holiday Fun Crown!

18. @mickeyfan5534 - 1
18 (Tied). @englanddg - 1
18 (Tied). @Brer Oswald - 1
14 (Tied). @Chaos Cat - 2
14 (Tied). @DisneyFan32 - 2
14 (Tied). @spacemt354 - 2
14 (Tied). @Lizzy May Bee - 2
12 (Tied). @Tegan pilots a chicken - 3
12 (Tied). @Suchomimus - 3
7 (Tied). @Architectural Guinea Pig - 4
7 (Tied). @Disney Warrior - 4
7 (Tied). @Evilgidgit - 4
7 (Tied). @Brer Panther - 4
7 (Tied). @Pi on my Cake - 4
5 (Tied). @MickeyMouse10 - 5
5 (Tied). @Tony the Tigger - 5
2 (Tied). @MagicKingdom4Ever - 6
2 (Tied). @ThemeParkPriest - 6
2 (Tied). @montydysquith-navarro - 6
1. @TheSorcerersApprentice - 7​

tcool123

Original Poster
5.png

Seasons greetings imagineers, and welcome to the finale of our holiday fun! The fifth challenge is sure to end this season on a holly jolly note because forr this challenge you're all tasked with creating a whole new land wide holiday celebration! Think of beloved celebrations such as Grinchmas at Islands of Adventure, Rudolph's Village at SeaWorld Orlando, and the Plaza de Navidad at Disney's California Adventure. Feel free to use any land from any theme park could even be your local park - be as bluesky or as constrained as you would like to be for this challenge as its all up to you.

-Challenge-
Create a new land wide holiday celebration.

-Rules-
- You may use between 1 to 2 sentences and up to 1 image.
- If you breach any of these rules your project will be disqualified, and will not be counted for rankings nor will it receive a review from me.
- The deadline is Friday, December 23rd at 11:59 PM EST.

-Tips-
K.I.S.S. – Keep it simple, silly. Try not to complicate or overthink things too much. It’s a simple, casual competition – there are no eliminations. Propose as you please, let your imagination soar!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it (generally) realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

Good luck everyone! If you have questions, please feel free to ask! Enjoy!

Suchomimus

View attachment 686821

PUNK Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree by @Tegan pilots a chicken
With Millenials and Gen Z growing up with many of these artists and beginning to have kids I could see this being a great time for them to get into the swing of these updated holiday classics. With Christmas songs being enjoyed by many though this special would be able to find its place amongst the hearts of many others for all who watch it.

The Super Mario Movie: Super Star Christmas by @Disney Warrior
With the new film already polling to be one of the most anticipated animated films of 2023 it makes sense to create a holiday special from the ensured success of the film. The cast of Mario characters are much beloved and throwing their colorful environment into a Christmas film just makes sense. This comradery amongst all is in line with the Mario universe, and sounds like fun for the whole family.

A Hanna-Barbera Christmas Carol by @Brer Panther
Hanna-Barbera all well known for doing major crossover events like this one so this seems like a natural fit in to the Barbera verse. The characters selected fit their roles like a charm and you have all the classic heavy hitters represented. This has the makings of being an instant classic thanks to the usage of old school characters, and if done properly could become a beloved version of the story.

The fact the Minions don't have a proper Christmas special is criminal, and yes I'm aware of the shorts but they're intertwined with generic shorts as well there's no full length story. This sounds just as zany as the hijinks we have come to expect from the Despicable franchise with none of this being out of the realm of possibility. The minion fight scene sounds chaotic, and based on the last Minions film that means its perfect for this kinda film.

Steven Spielberg Presents Roger Rabbit's Very Toon Christmas Special by @DisneyFan32
You went over the sentence limit again which means that once again you will not be receiving any points. In addition, for violating the rules twice in a row after being warned your submission will not be receiving a proper review. It sounds cool.

I for one would love to hear the rest of this concepts plot as these first two sentences sound very interesting. It has the heart many specials have, a unique premise through the airships and magical worlds, and compelling sounding characters. While saving Christmas may be overdone I think the framing device you have set up for your story was an excellent way to deliver something we haven't quite seen before.

A Goofy Christmas Movie by @Pi on my Cake
The Goofy Movie duology is beloved today by many with the first being looked backed on by many as one of the best Disney films of the era as well as cementing the popularity of Goofy and Max. A Christmas film mixing the elements of the roadtrip from the first and the extreme sports of the second makes logical sense as it combines what many loved from the other films while keeping it fresh. The cherry on top is the fact that the setting is Blizzard Beach giving the water park and its mascot the love it deserves.

Drawing on the mythology of other places is a great way to bring about a whole new holiday classic. The concept is unique as not many may be familiar with the folklore, but its something that feels like a wholesome take of a wintery story that can be enjoyed by young and all. It's an interesting concept, and one that I think has great appeal. Would love to see more of the story one day.

Fantasia as originally created was of course always meant to be changing with the times, and this concept is a great way to highlight this idea that Walt Disney had back in development of the film. This special shows the understanding of Fantasia with more mature elements shining through as well as jovial and comedic segments with classic older segments such as Ave Maria brought back perfectly encapsulating what Fantasia was.

What's crazy is that in just two sentences you were able to capture the magic that encapsulates many of the beloved Rankin-Bass classics that have gone on to define the holidays in American pop culture. The plot is simple yet endearingly classic Christmas with it being easy to follow and enjoyable for all ages. Overall, a rather cherry endeavor reminiscent of holiday specials of old.

Finding Christmas with Nemo & Friends by @Tony the Tigger
Google a camel shrimp and that's a great fit for the holidays given its peppermint like color it naturally has that would likely help it stand out against the typical trio. What gets me is that is their a fish Santa with Crush as the Rudolph type? That said the message is sweet and resonates with all who celebrate the holidays.

The Wise Men Who Found Christmas by @ThemeParkPriest
A holiday special based on religion from the priest? Who would've guessed ;) All joking aside the fact the special pays closer attention to recent historical findings already helps this special stand out to me from other religious films that tend to come out about the holiday. The mystery behind the Wise Men isn't often explored, and I think that would be a good way to offer up a special and different take on the Birth of Jesus story.

Fuyu - The Song of Winter by @Architectural Guinea Pig
I had just about finished up the post right when you posted! Do try to post a little closer to the deadline for the next prompt, but I'll let it slide just this once for the holidays ;) . Fuyu sounds like a lovely story filled with holiday heart, and is a musical it seems which I think is a first for Ghibli? Either way this would likely be an instant beloved anime holiday favorite given its ties to Ghibli and feel good message.

View attachment 686861

Even with the tighter schedule of prompts y'all never cease to amaze me with how amazing your work turns out. However, while you all did fantastic and each one of these would be fantastic concepts to watch we do need to do our rankings.

View attachment 686860
Fantasia: Winter Wonderlands was a great way to continue the legacy of the Fantasia franchise with the latest installment combining new and old segments alongside more abstract and artistic concepts paired with comedic ones that embrace what the film franchise is. I really do think this could be the future of the Fantasia franchise if Disney decided with other old shorts being great fits (Nutcracker Suite, Tin Soldier, Pines of Rome, The Little Match Girl). That said the shorts described capture the magic of the winter in a great way that is sure to warm anyone's holiday spirit.

View attachment 686863
Despicable Christmas gives the franchise a proper holiday special with the motives of the characters in check with the rest of the franchise. One of Gru's daughters got coal? Of course his only logical solution is to takeover the North Pole! The premise just sounds like good old holiday hijinks, and the added detail of the climatic Minions fight is the cherry on top in this comedic action packed special.

View attachment 686862
Taking on a piece of folklore and transforming it into a holiday special is a great way to tackle the prompt as I mentioned. The fox characters sounds like they would be absolutely adorable with its aurora borealis color palette as an extra reason to love it. No doubt will tears be shed as the fox must depart the little girl towards the end in order to bring back aurora borealis, but this pitch just screams a great wintery time.

View attachment 686859
What sold me was the framing devices of the holiday worlds, airships and evil ice queen as they all combine together to give a Christmas story about a girl whose lost her father a fresh new take that will be sure to delight many as they enjoy the wondrous quest taken on by these lovable cast of characters. Great job!

The tie for first has been broken with their now being a lead, but fret not as the competition is still very close and truly most anyone can still take home the Holiday Fun Crown!

18. @mickeyfan5534 - 1
18 (Tied). @englanddg - 1
18 (Tied). @Brer Oswald - 1
14 (Tied). @Chaos Cat - 2
14 (Tied). @DisneyFan32 - 2
14 (Tied). @spacemt354 - 2
14 (Tied). @Lizzy May Bee - 2
12 (Tied). @Tegan pilots a chicken - 3
12 (Tied). @Suchomimus - 3
7 (Tied). @Architectural Guinea Pig - 4
7 (Tied). @Disney Warrior - 4
7 (Tied). @Evilgidgit - 4
7 (Tied). @Brer Panther - 4
7 (Tied). @Pi on my Cake - 4
5 (Tied). @MickeyMouse10 - 5
5 (Tied). @Tony the Tigger - 5
2 (Tied). @MagicKingdom4Ever - 6
2 (Tied). @ThemeParkPriest - 6
2 (Tied). @montydysquith-navarro - 6
1. @TheSorcerersApprentice - 7​
What gives Tcool?
- The deadline is Thursday, December 22nd at 11:59 PM EST.

Disney Warrior

A Holly Jolly Toysmas
2F2A345F-0EF5-4EBD-B0DD-A14705066137.jpeg

During the 2023 holiday season, Toy Story Land at Hollywood Studios (and all other Toy Story Lands in the other Disney resorts) will be given a large festive makeover, because who doesn’t get excited for toys on Christmas? The Toy Story characters have all set up shop with new holiday experiences set up (like meet and greets, toy craft making, and new foods) that are sure to give both kids and adults alike a fun time at the Disney Parks.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

holiday boulevard.jpg

Holiday Boulevard

Sunset (at Hollywood Studios) changes over to Halloween… and Christmas starting in August and it runs until February, Jack Skellington and the gang take over it’s domain (whether you want them to or not), With everything in the land being touched with holiday magic from the attractions and shows and even down to the food, …. And the Christmas star ontop is we finally get the beloved returns of the Osbornes Spectacle of lights and Fantasmic, with both a Halloween (Aug-Oct) and Christmas (Nov-Jan) versions of the shows.

Oogie Boogie takes over the Tower (Boogie Manor) with Lock, Stock and Barrel, While Santa Jack rides high in his sleigh on Christmas Night (Rockin Rollercoaster), But that’s not all, don’t miss “Christmas in Radiator Springs” (Lightning McQueen) and “Nightmare before Christmas the stage show” which takes over the Beauty and the Beasts’ area.

Last edited:

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Dreamfinder & Figment's Holiday Imagination Festival Party
Paul, Apopka, Florida - D23

Join Figment and Dreamfinder having a big Christmas imagination party to makeover Imagination Pavilion at EPCOT which it will have new foods like frozen ice cream, hot coffee, Christmas-themed cookies, Santa Claus with Dreamfinder and Figment meet & greets.
You can also visit Figment's Workshop where you can write a letter to Santa Claus for your Christmas imagination gift.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Join Figment and Dreamfinder having a big Christmas imagination party to makeover Imagination Pavilion at EPCOT which it will have new foods like frozen ice cream, hot coffee, Christmas-themed cookies, Santa Claus with Dreamfinder and Figment meet & greets.

Also you can make toy making with Dreamfinder and Santa Claus to creating new toy imagination into the dreams of the Christmas future. Journey into Your Imagination also gets holiday makeover which it will involving Figment and Dreamfinder needs help from Dr. Nigel to collect the holiday imagination for a gift for Santa Claus.
He’s going to ding you for having three sentences again. You have time to edit!

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

There I edit it. Okay?

mickeyfan5534

This is exactly the vibe I was going for. Rankin-Bass mixed with modern Hallmark with a dash of Direct to Streaming.

mickeyfan5534

Discoveryland at Christmas
N032811_2022dec12_world_Meet-and-greet-Stitch-Fir-tree-Christmas_16-9_tcm1861-244547.jpg

The Merry and Bright season at Discoveryland at Disneyland Paris takes on a festive atmosphere fitting into its Vernian Future setting as bronze and gold garland decorates the land, and Space Mountain is given a new overlay to follow Santa Claus on his magical holiday flight. The now classic "Let's Sing Christmas!" also returns again to Videopolis theatre with new costumes for Mickey and Friends alongside their caroling crew inspired by Victorian visions of the future, and most importantly, don't forget to visit Santa Claus in his brand new steampunk workshop and a suit to match!​

MagicKingdom4Ever

A Christmas Fantasy (land):
This year in Disneyland Paris, the area of Fantasyland will get a holiday makeover worthy of German and French Christmas celebrations, including several cultural nods to Europe. This event features a holiday overlay of "It's a Small World," a British Christmas tree display in Alice's Curious Labrynth, a new holiday show in the theater, and an epic nighttime transformation of Sleeping Beauty's castle, where the stained glass windows within tell a story about Christmas.

ThemeParkPriest

North Pole Land at Six Flags Over Texas
Guests to Six Flags Over Texas during “Holiday in the Park” can travel the North Pole by riding on The Polar Express (normally the Six Flags and Texas Railroad steam locomotives; the only original ride from the 1961 opening of the park) from the Texas Depot to the North Pole Depot with narration by the movie’s Conductor (voiced by Tom Hanks). At the North Pole (which is an overlay of Boomtown land), guests can joyfully experience the following: a ride on Santa’s Sleigh (a re-theme of the Runaway Mine Train), Elves’ Sled (a re-theme of the Mini Mine Train), The Christmas Tree (a re-theme of Gunslinger swings ride), and a Santa Meet and Greet.
PolarExpress.jpg

[IP note: The movie The Polar Express is owned by Warner Bros. Pictures, which is under the umbrella company Warner Bros. Discovery, which in the U.S. has theme park rights at Six Flags parks.]

Suchomimus

Dreamwork’s The Polar Express
3407730_3_orig.jpg

Based on the short book written Chris Van Allsburg, The Polar Express follows a down-on-his-luck boy as he embarks on a magical train ride bound for the North Pole on Christmas Eve and discovers newfound joy and hope through the magic of Christmas. While this special is notably shorter, this adaptation seeks to put more emphasis on the magic surrounding the Polar Express itself and the sights of the Christmas wonderland it travels to reach Santa’s town, and to have a more relaxed tone told through an enchanting storybook art style not too dissimilar to what is seen in Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom