One Sentence Competition: Holiday Fun

tcool123

Original Poster

Reviews.png

Trend alert! Y'all love diners ;)
That said reading all these projects helped get over the cold, and y'all had great concepts once again.

S'Movies Cafe by @MagicKingdom4Ever
A smoothie/shake place being a sit-down is unusual, but not unheard of with Toothsome's and Beaches & Cream essentially being that. The studio theming ties into the Hollywood background Universal has, but depending on the CityWalk this is at this theme is in use for the Legacy Store in Florida. Also kudos to the punful name - big fan on plays on words! The bonus: unfortunately you used two sentences placing this out of the running for the bonus point. With that said this sounds enjoyable as its a Vanilla - Chocolate Oreo sundae, but when tied to such an iconic film I do wish there was more to it connecting it to the film such as a pair of angel wings.

Papa's Fritas by @Disney Warrior
I'm pretty confident you're using this name as a double meaning? Its fried food owned by Papa, and papa fritas are French fries in Spanish! I actually ate at a place whose who gimmick was crazy French fries, I had the parmesan chicken mac 'n' cheese fries - they were great, tasty and obviously unhealthy. Why do I bring this up? Well I'm simply stating this is a very creative and unique path to take a restaurant that would be a hit as its unique yet still very familiar. The bonus: Santa's North Poltato I feel like feels a bit odd in a fries place as its a baked not fried potato. With that said I do think it sounds very yummy, and could work as a holiday poutine kinda dish as well!

Taverna Mamma Mia ~ Greek Island Grill by @TheSorcerersApprentice
Mamma Mia is one of Universal's biggest franchises with it being beloved by people of ages and demographics it is a feel good movie with no representation anywhere, and I think a sit down restaurant would be perfect for Universal CityWalk. There is no true Greek restaurant at CityWalk, and this offering provides something completely unique unlike anything they have currently. The creative names for the dishes and other little touches throughout the design of the restaurant were great to see making this concept feel whole. The bonus: the dish transform a traditional Greek holiday pastry into something that screams Mamma Mia while still playing homage to the holidays in a unique way - great route taken here!

Chuck E. Cheese's Hollywood Pizzeria by @DisneyFan32
This submission will not be counted towards your point total as you have gone over the two sentence limit. With that said I was a bit concerned with a Chuck E Cheese being your submission for this round, but you truly adapted to Universal and it does sound like a really fun concept to experience. I do think it would be interesting to see how this concept also translates to a table service option. The bonus: unfortunately you used two sentences placing this out of the running for the bonus point. Simple yet delightful this treat looks like a nice way to celebrate.

The Krusty Krab 3 by @Brer Panther
While not knowing much about of CityWalk you still gave it your all, and with CityWalk often acting as a catch all I think this would be a cool option for guests. I appreciate how it connects to the lore of the show, and the items on the menu range to the typical burger to more traditional entrees for those who may not care for a burger at a sitdown restaurant. Bonus: Shaped character treats are adorable, and if Mickey waffles prove anything then people love character shaped food so bring on the Sponge Bob Cookies!

The Vault by @montydysquith-navarro
A location tying into film/Hollywood is a great fit for USH Citywalk, and what really helps this proposal is the fact its a period piece as it helps to separate it from the rest of the current Hollywood theming. The fact that characters are the main draw is the other big separator making this a unique member of the dining family that makes up Universal's portfolio. With Toothsome's Universal has proven they have no issue with original IP powereing their character meals, and as such I think this is a natural fit for that as well. The bonus: the name itself is great and a lot of fun, and the dessert sounds delicious. It sounds different, luxe and scrumptious.

The Tribute Diner by @Pi on my Cake
The Dead Coconut Club was the first time I had even been to the venue, and it was insanely cool, so expanding this concept to its own purpose venue is genius. I can see this being just as popular as the store, if not more as it combines the themes of the tribute store as well as the popular food fests Universal does with each holiday. The bonus: After having a buckeye cupcake, I'm all for this as a neat treat that is a great fit for the Earl character.

North Pole Tavern by @MickeyMouse10
I'm shocked that Hooters doesn't already do this as it seems like a way to take advantage of the season to grow profits? I'm not sure how I feel about this at a family theme park (albeit older demo than Disney), but still I'm hesitant. That said I think this is a solid concept that would be popular. The bonus: I enjoy how you used this to your advantage and fully described the menu as the concept itself is seasonal.

Nintendo Pixel Diner by @Architectural Guinea Pig
I definitely think Universal not taking more advantage of the Nintendo IP right now is a wrong move, both CityWalks should have Nintendo stores/cafes to begin cashing in on the beloved IPs that are on offer. Eliminating a more common chain location I definitely think helps as well as it make the overall experience more special. Slight nitpick: Pokémon is the 90s not the 80s, but the overall aestthic painted sounds captivating with the menu continuing that theme. The bonus: The fort is adorable and should be fun for the whole family.

Grandma’s Italian Sunday “Gravy” Trattoria by @Tony the Tigger
This sounds delicious, and the one photo provided is mouth watering. I can see this being popular for the same reason as @Disney Warriors 's Papa's Fritas as a base pasta with a variety of sauces is a great yet simple concept many will love. It simple, but straight to the point making it simple for tourists and regulars to enjoy. The bonus: the fact that the special is another cultural dish and just the typical Christmas dish is a neat way to answer the prompt in a thoughtful way.

Boston to Beijing: Asian Fusion by @ThemeParkPriest
As mentioned USF doesn't really have an Asian table service beyond the sushi at Cowfish so this is filling in a niche that would be instantly loved by guests. I think the theme is translated well from the nice name (big fan actually), décor, and the menu reflecting the fusion of cultures. The bonus: Red bean cheesecake is an igneious way to get the red for the holidays naturally, but another way to honor your restaurant's concept.

WWE SmackDown Diner by @Tegan pilots a chicken
With Peacock hosting WWE content this is a great way to pump up synergy in the parks with a beloved IP the company owns, but never really utilizes in meaningful ways at the parks. This will be a huge slam for fans of the WWE given its a wrestling Hard Rock/Planet Hollywood albeit with hopefully a better menu. Bonus: While not tied to the holiday it does sound interesting! I do wish you went into more detail as to what it was.

Das Haus des Kochs by @Suchomimus
Balancing traditional German dishes with more American style dishes is great as it ensures pickier eaters to give this more "foreign" cuisine a try. The celebration of German culture throughout he various rooms is fantastic, and something you would expect out of Epcot with all being detaile das such. The bonus: plenty of holiday flavours are associated with Germany, and its great to see you act on that with a unique spin with the stuffed apples.

Results.png

To help with everything right now. I'm omitting the extra reviews for these rounds of results - if needed I will divulge why simply ask.

HM.png

Das Haus des Kochs by @Suchomimus

Third Place.png

The Vault by @montydysquith-navarro

Second Place.png

Boston to Beijing: Asian Fusion by @ThemeParkPriest

First Place.png

Taverna Mamma Mia ~ Greek Island Grill by @TheSorcerersApprentice

The Bonus:
The winner for the Holiday dish was @Tony the Tigger with their Sweet Lobster Gravy. It shies away from the typical holiday fare one was come to expect of turkey, cranberries, peppermint, etc. It brings in a cultural reason for the holiday dish, and it ties into the story and menu perfectly of the main restaurant.

Time to tally up all the points after our tasty leg of the Holiday Fun competition!

18 (Tied). @englanddg - 1
18 (Tied). @Brer Oswald - 1
12 (Tied). @Chaos Cat - 2
12 (Tied). @DisneyFan32 - 2
12 (Tied). @Evilgidgit- 2
12 (Tied). @spacemt354 - 2
12 (Tied). @Lizzy May Bee - 2
12 (Tied). @Tegan pilots a chicken - 2
5 (Tied). @Architectural Guinea Pig - 3
5 (Tied). @MickeyMouse10 - 3
5 (Tied). @Disney Warrior - 3
5 (Tied). @MagicKingdom4Ever - 3
5 (Tied). @Brer Panther - 3
5 (Tied). @Pi on my Cake - 3
5 (Tied). @Suchomimus - 3
4. @Tony the Tigger - 4
3. @ThemeParkPriest - 5
1 (Tied). @TheSorcerersApprentice - 6
1 (Tied). @montydysquith-navarro - 6

Still plenty of ties, but the points are just still so close!​

tcool123

Original Poster
4.png

Seasons greetings imagineers! The fourth challenge is ready to hit the red carpet, and hopefully you all brought some popcorn! For this challenge you're all tasked with creating a whole new holiday special/film, but the catch? It can't be a remake of an exisiting special, but feel free to create spinoffs, sequels or even whole new original stories!

-Challenge-
Pitch a new holiday special/film.

-Rules-
- You may use between 1 to 2 sentences and up to 1 image.
- If you breach any of these rules your project will be disqualified, and will not be counted for rankings nor will it receive a review from me.
- The deadline is Thursday, December 22nd at 11:59 PM EST.

-Tips-
K.I.S.S. – Keep it simple, silly. Try not to complicate or overthink things too much. It’s a simple, casual competition – there are no eliminations. Propose as you please, let your imagination soar!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it (generally) realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

Good luck everyone! If you have questions, please feel free to ask! Enjoy!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
View attachment 686734

CBS presents an all new Holiday Tradition; PUNK Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree!

Airing live the Saturday night before Christmas, today’s premier and up-and-coming rock bands gather for one special evening to perform their own takes on classic Christmas favorites during this 2 hour television event!​
NOT FOR CONSIDERATION IN THE COMPETITION, but,…. Here’s the set list for the first special;

Paramore - Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree
Fall Out Boy - Hark the Harold Angels Sing
All Time Low - Jingle Bells
A Day To Remember- Silent Night
The Bombpops - Oh Holy Night
Bayside - Holy Jolly Christmas
Heavenshe- Jingle Bell Rock
Millencolin - Feliz Navidad

Disney Warrior

The Super Mario Movie: Super Star Christmas
E46E83C6-A067-463B-A811-689B53C5B66B.jpeg

Releasing in December of 2023, follow Mario, Luigi, and friends as they are celebrating Christmas in the Mushroom Kingdom. A new icy threat (who is an original character) is disturbing the peace, and Mario and company (including Bowser and Donkey Kong, as this ice villain is impacting everyone) must use the power of the Super Stars to take him down and bring holiday cheer to the Kingdom.

Brer Panther

A Hanna-Barbera Christmas Carol
1671626308924.png
As part of a new imitative by the folks at Warner Bros. to make the Hanna-Barbera characters more popular, this quirky adaptation of the beloved Charles Dickens story features five original songs, hilarious jokes, and a cast of beloved Hanna-Barbera characters. Among those featured are Dick Dastardly as Ebenezer Scrooge, Huckleberry Hound as Bob Cratchit, Mildew Wolf as Jacob Marley, Fred Flintstone as the Ghost of Christmas Past, Yogi Bear as the Ghost of Christmas Present, a Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come who pulls down his hood to reveal that he's actually Astro Jetson, Yakky Doodle as Tiny Tim, and Snagglepuss, who serves as the special's narrator.

MickeyMouse10

b69fc3417014d38a44c9b09a86400ebe

Despicable Christmas

Gru decides he wants to take over Christmas, when Agnes gets coal in her stocking; He even has a new… much cooler sleigh made for himself, to completely out do the last Santa.

One my favorite scenes happens when the Minions get involved,

There’s a big Jerry Bruckheimer fight scene between the Minions and Santa’s Elves, where no one is safe; the highlights include... the explosions, an array of candy cane artillery, snowmen ... and snowwomen unfortunately dying (reminiscent of the beach of Normandy scene from "Saving Private Ryan") ..... and last, but not least there’s even a pivotal slow motion John Woo action scene, between Bob and the biggest, toughest Elf.

Last edited:

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Steven Spielberg Presents Roger Rabbit's Very Toony Christmas Special
ImNotBad.com - A Jessica Rabbit Site: Merry Christmas

Santa Claus is been kidnapped by the Toon Patrol weasels, so Roger, Eddie, Jessica, Benny and Baby Herman must stop the weasels
before they'll destroy Christmas in Toontown. Will Toons of Toontown will get presents back from Santa? This television special will be aired in 1993 on ABC to promoting Mickey's Toontown in Disneyland, inspired by Disney/Amblin's Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988).

Last edited:

MagicKingdom4Ever

The Quest for Christmas
In a world where the spirit of Christmas has been blurred by money and spending, eight-year old Sarah wishes that she could spend Christmas again with her deceased father. Suddenly, a airship appears, driven by the intelligent Captain Coralon, who takes Sarah on a journey through magical worlds to save the power of Christmas, which has been taken by a vengeful ice witch named Shiver.

I could go more in detail with this, but I'm limited to two sentences.​

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
View attachment 686733
Seasons greetings imagineers! The fourth challenge is ready to hit the red carpet, and hopefully you all brought some popcorn! For this challenge you're all tasked with creating a whole new holiday special/film, but the catch? It can't be a remake of an exisiting special, but feel free to create spinoffs, sequels or even whole new original stories!

-Challenge-
Pitch a new holiday special/film.

-Rules-
- You may use between 1 to 2 sentences and up to 1 image.
- If you breach any of these rules your project will be disqualified, and will not be counted for rankings nor will it receive a review from me.
- The deadline is Thursday, December 22nd at 11:59 PM EST.

-Tips-
K.I.S.S. – Keep it simple, silly. Try not to complicate or overthink things too much. It’s a simple, casual competition – there are no eliminations. Propose as you please, let your imagination soar!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it (generally) realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

Good luck everyone! If you have questions, please feel free to ask! Enjoy!
A Goofy Christmas Movie

images (2).jpeg

Taking place just a year after the original A Goofy Movie, this holiday sequel sees Goofy wanting to give Max the Christmas Ski Trip (a big trend in the 90s) he dreams of and sees his friends going on, but Goofy really can't afford it.

Luckily, thanks to a freak blizzard in Florida, a new discount ski resort has just opened for Goofy to take Max to with the only catch being that it's melting as we speak and the owner is a gator with more ambition than common sense!

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

Steven Spielberg Presents Roger Rabbit's Very Toon Christmas Special
ImNotBad.com - A Jessica Rabbit Site: Merry Christmas

Santa Claus is been kidnapped by the Toon Patrol weasels, so Roger, Eddie, Jessica, Benny and Baby Herman must stop the weasels
before they'll destroy Christmas in Toontown. Will Toons of Toontown will get presents back from Santa? This television special will be aired in 1993 on ABC to promoting Mickey's Toontown in Disneyland, inspired by Disney/Amblin's Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988).

What a surprise! :)

Evilgidgit

DONNER AND THE LOST NORTHERN LIGHTS
Firefox.jpg

(Image found on Twitter, by Johanna Tarkela)
Christmas hangs in the balance as the Northern Lights - which guide Santa Claus on his yearly travels - has been removed from the sky, transformed into the inquisitive snow fox Revontulet, tired of his celestial isolation and seeks friends and fun. The peppy Donner and her fellow reindeer travel across Lapland to return the fox to his place in the skies, but the child-eating giants Gryla and Leppaluoi chase them down for their own devious plans to take over Christmas, intending to bring terror rather than joy to the children of the world.
Note: This was originally a "save Santa from Krampus" idea, but this idea sprung to mind and I had to run with it as something a little more magical rather than grim and gritty. Revontulet is from Finnish folklore, whilst the giants are from Iceland.

TheSorcerersApprentice

Fantasia: Winter Wonders
1671660484889.png

''Get ready to experience the magic of Disney's Fantasia like never before with the all-new Winter Wonders edition on Disney+, based on Christmas and winter-themed operas and musical pieces. Through the use of a combination of stunning state-of-the-art CGI and hand-drawn animation sequences with inspiring and emotional music pieces, Disney has brought to life a selection of wondrous winter stories, like for example a segment about a group of elegant ballroom-dancing snowflakes, dressed in sparkling gowns and tuxedos, as they perform a graceful waltz to the music of the Brindisi (The Drinkish Song) by Verdi, another which follow the adventures of two siblings, Hansel and Gretel, as they become lost in a cold winter forest and stumble upon a house made of gingerbread set to the Hansel und Gretel Oper by Humperdinck and lastly a group of penguins huddling together for warmth and comfort as a blizzard rages on who start to pray for hope and peace to wash over them set to Franz Schubert's Ave Maria. ''

MagicKingdom4Ever

Fantasia: Winter Wonders
View attachment 686856

''Get ready to experience the magic of Disney's Fantasia like never before with the all-new Winter Wonders edition on Disney+, based on Christmas and winter-themed operas and musical pieces. Through the use of a combination of stunning state-of-the-art CGI and hand-drawn animation sequences with inspiring and emotional music pieces, Disney has brought to life a selection of wondrous winter stories, like for example a segment about a group of elegant ballroom-dancing snowflakes, dressed in sparkling gowns and tuxedos, as they perform a graceful waltz to the music of the Brindisi (The Drinkish Song) by Verdi, another which follow the adventures of two siblings, Hansel and Gretel, as they become lost in a cold winter forest and stumble upon a house made of gingerbread set to the Hansel und Gretel Oper by Humperdinck and lastly a group of penguins huddling together for warmth and comfort as a blizzard rages on who start to pray for hope and peace to wash over them set to Franz Schubert's Ave Maria. ''

Wasn't Ave Maria used in the original Fantasia as the ending of the Bald Mountain sequence?

mickeyfan5534

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
marshall-county-co-op-blog-wonderful-time-of-the-year-860x575-1.jpg

Just around Christmastime, the warm and jolly Kringle family moves to the cold hamlet of Bitterberg, the grumpiest town on Earth. Their frigid welcome only leads them to take a touch of Christmas cheer, a dash of merriment, some celebrity cameos, and a heaping dose of the magic of the season as the Kringles slowly brighten up these holiday grumps for a heartwarming Yuletide treat.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom