One more time before the Apocalypse

Welcome to my pre-trip report.

(I started this months ago, just never got around to posting it. Our Magical Express documents finally came the other day, making it all seem real and close, so I decided to finally get on the ball and share it.)

The planning for this year’s trip started in 2008, almost immediately after we returned from our last family vacation to WDW. Our family consists of Mom (me), Dad (DH), our two adult children (DD#1 & DD#2) and their boyfriends. We had such a wonderful time during our 2008 trip that we knew we had to go back some day. DD#2 mentioned that she wanted to go back to Disney one more time before the Apocalypse in 2012. “How do you know the Apocalypse is coming in 2012?” I asked. “I saw it on the History Channel- something about the Mayans and Nostradamus” she replied. Of course she was joking, but we’ll use any excuse to go back! We decided to shoot for 2010 (so maybe we could make it back twice before the end of the world? :p but unfortunately fate intervened and we found out DD#2 needed major surgery that April, thus killing any chance of a trip that year. After all was well with her and we knew she’d be up for a trip, we started talking about going in 2011. Unfortunately, due to grown-up obligations and work, we weren’t sure we’d be able to find a good time for all 6 of us. Picking dates seemed near impossible and things were starting to look grim, when lo & behold a magical PIN offer came my way. 35% off Deluxe rooms (and we are Poly addicts) for various times up until early June if booked by the end of 2010. SURELY there must be 6-7 days we could all agree on! We’ve only been to Disney in early June, but knew that if it had to be May we would need to be gone before the busy Memorial Day week-end crowds. Could we make it happen?

DisneyPics082.jpg

This was the view from our room in Fiji in May 2008

Side story: I am a 12 + years breast cancer survivor and at my last mammogram the doctor found 2 spots he wanted to biopsy. Because I was taking Ibuprofen for a pulled muscle, the biopsies had to be postponed a week. Of course this was all happening right around the time we were trying to finalize our dates and book everything! So after an agonizing 2 weeks, I got the all clear. I just KNEW God wouldn’t let the cancer come back after I’d been so faithful doing all I was told these past 13 years. The first thing I did after thanking God and calling DH was e-mail both DDs to say “Everything is negative- now let’s talk Disney World!!!!!”

DSCF0442.jpg

rcsilverspring

Original Poster
We started getting serious about planning when our DDs came home for Thanksgiving. DD#1 hadn’t been sure if she would be able to get away as early as we had to for this great discount, but after much discussion, we agreed on May 19th thru 25th. I booked the Saturday after Thanksgiving- it was finally official! These dates also happened to be perfect for a special celebration since DH & my 37th wedding anniversary is on May 18th. Our last trip was around my birthday and I thoroughly enjoyed all the attention I got with my “Birthday” pin! Wonder what I can look forward to this trip?

DSCF0361.jpg

My Birthday card from Mickey & Minnie! I couldn't have been more excited if I had been nine instead of 59!

Unfortunately, by the time we booked, it was already past the 180 day window to book ADRs!! Would I still be able to get a time at Le Cellier?

DisneyPics191.jpg

This was my #1 choice for ADRs (I have never been), and the one place DD#2 REALLY wanted to go back to (she went last trip and even wants the same dinner- mushroom fillet with risotto, pretzel bread and cheddar cheese soup). Not only did she say it was it the best steak she’d ever had (including an $80 steak she had at Gotham in NYC), but after her surgery for Crohn’s disease, she knew she would be feeling so much better and would really get to enjoy it this time! I do hate that Le Cellier will be considered Deluxe Dining in May and thus require 2 DD credits, but we did the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show on previous trips which required 2 credits. I already know it will be well worth it. Fingers crossed and pixie dust sprinkled, :tinker: I made my request and it was granted!!! Success!! I only made it for 4 of us since DD#1 is vegetarian and her BF is vegan. I really didn’t think they would appreciate Le Cellier or think they could get a decent meal at a STEAKhouse!

Next on the list was the Sci Fi Dine-in Theater for lunch on DHS day, another must for my DDs and a pretty good place for vegans/vegetarians, too. I know a lot of people aren’t crazy about the food, but we had a good meal last time and think the ambiance is worth it. I had no problem booking the exact day and time we wanted.

My next request was for a late dinner at Ohana on Sunday night. I had heard many good things about it for carnivores & vegans alike. But since Chef TJ has moved, should we go? I figured I would at least see if it was available and that we could decide later. I was also concerned about the children’s entertainment- we’re not scrooges, but I didn’t know if we’d appreciate coconut races or parading, squealing children. I thought that a later time might lessen the chances of having our dinner interrupted, but again figured we had plenty of time to think about it. I booked an 8pm dinner and moved on to my next request…

We thought Chefs de France might be an interesting place to try- it was new to all of us and it was an easy place to secure.
We also wanted to try Via Napoli & made that reservation with no problem as well. We were thrilled to find out recently that you can design your pizza to your liking now. We will probably pay OOP for this, but can split a larger pie and share or skip dessert this time around. I figure other places will be much more expensive & better to use the DDP for.

We also booked Tusker House for our AK day. It looks very interesting and a great place for vegans/vegetarians as well as us carnivores.

I was feeling fairly confident that we had our ADRs pretty well taken care of, except for deciding which morning we should head to the Kona Cafe so I can get my Tonga Toast. Can’t go to Disney and not have Tonga Toast IMHO!

KonaTonga.jpg

Don't you just love "food "?

Well, never feel TOO confident, because that’s when you get blindsided. DD#1called one night only to tell us that they DO want to go to Le Cellier, and if we can change our reservation, she and vegan BF would like to join us! What?! :eek: I was thrilled to get our ADR there with less than the 180 day window, but now a couple weeks later she wanted me to add 2 more people? To a place that is pretty impossible to get ANY reservation? Well, all I could do was try. For New Yorkers (DD#1 & BF) later is better, so when the CM kept looking to get us all at one table and the time kept getting later, I was not alarmed at all. She finally found us an 8:30 reservation on the same day with all 6 of us at the same table. Yay! I did it! :yay: And it seems like DDBF #1 is looking forward to spending more time with the parents this trip! That sure makes us feel good.

Rach&Eric

First of all congratulations on being a cancer survivor, that's awesome! Looking forward to your TR. We'll be there from May 7-14th at the POFQ. I would LOVE to stay at the Poly, maybe next time. But I do have ADR's at Kona Cafe and Ohana's.

Rach

rcsilverspring

Original Poster
First of all congratulations on being a cancer survivor, that's awesome! Looking forward to your TR. We'll be there from May 7-14th at the POFQ. I would LOVE to stay at the Poly, maybe next time. But I do have ADR's at Kona Cafe and Ohana's.

Rach
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you, I've been truely blessed.

And thank you for taking a peek ay my pre-trip report. Hope you enjoy it!

We have never stayed anywhere BUT the Polynesian, but may try someplace else if we ever do a trip to see Christmas decorations.

Since you're going to be at the Poly to eat, 2 things I recommend: Tonga Toast for breakfast at Kona

KonaTonga.jpg

& a Lapu Lapu to drink at Ohana.

IMG_1690.jpg

I've still not tried one, but DD#1 has & I sure will this time! Lots of rum involved here! :ROFLOL: I hear it's totally yummy!

Mammymouse

I'm so glad you posted a picture of Tonga Toast! I know nothing about it, with the exception of all the praise it gets on this forum. Is is thick bread like a french toast? or what?

rcsilverspring

Original Poster
I'm so glad you posted a picture of Tonga Toast! I know nothing about it, with the exception of all the praise it gets on this forum. Is is thick bread like a french toast? or what?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, it is a thick sourdough bread with a pocket cut in it for the banana, then dipped in an egg mixture & fried, like regular french toast. Some people love it (ME!), some people hate it.
Here is a recipe I found on AllEars.com. I have never tried to make it myself. It just wouldn't be the same not being at the Poly!!

Tonga Toast

Kona Cafe
Polynesian Resort

Ingredients:

2 or 4 slices sourdough bread, cut 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
1 banana
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
oil or shortening for frying
whipped butter and/or syrup

Method:

Cut a 1-inch pocket in one side of each bread slice. Cut banana in half crosswise, then split each piece lengthwise. Remove peel and stuff two pieces of fruit in each pocket of bread; set aside. Mix sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Mix together well the egg, milk and vanilla.

Heat about 4 inches of oil in a pan to 350º F. Dip stuffed bread into egg/milk mixture and let it soak a few seconds to let penetrate bread. Fry bread on both sides in hot oil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels or wire rack. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
The first thing I did after thanking God and calling DH was e-mail both DDs to say “Everything is negative- now let’s talk Disney World!!!!!”
Wow...amazing. Congrats if a congrats is even applicable to this situation...but you know what I am saying...I hope!

Your trip is coming fast! Can't wait to read the report! Don't wait TOO long to post it though!

rcsilverspring

Original Poster
The first thing I did after thanking God and calling DH was e-mail both DDs to say “Everything is negative- now let’s talk Disney World!!!!!”
Wow...amazing. Congrats if a congrats is even applicable to this situation...but you know what I am saying...I hope!

Your trip is coming fast! Can't wait to read the report! Don't wait TOO long to post it though!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks, John. Congrats are VERY appropriate for this.
It really IS coming fast. Never thought it would 160+ days ago when we booked. We got Magical Express documents already (though I had to call & clarify some things since both DDs are leaving on different days. DD#1 is staying 2 extra night at the GF.) DD#2 got their luggage tags already, too. Hopefully ours will come today!
I will try to get a trip report with some pictures up asap after we get back, if I'm not too depressed at being back from my favorite place in the world!!

cathyy

Great report so far! Congrats for being cancer free!!!
I'm looking forward to the actual trip part!! :)
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to stay at the poly!!

Disney_Belle

Yay for being cancer free! My Mom has been free from breast cancer for 4 years this year. I'm so happy to hear everything came back clear!

And enjoy your trip! I know you will! Can't wait to read the report :wave:

rcsilverspring

Original Poster
Great report so far! Congrats for being cancer free!!!
I'm looking forward to the actual trip part!! :)
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to stay at the poly!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks.....and Thanks. DH & I are doing the Race for the Cure on Mother's day. It's another way to burn off excess energy before I burst waiting for May 19th to get here!
We got our #2 Mickey mail today with luggage tags! I'm starting to feel this is really gonna happen!!!
The Poly is the only place we have ever stayed. The DDs & I love it and even DH likes the convenience of being on the monorail. Have you gone there to eat or at least look around? I always say it's the closest to Hawaii I'll ever get! It's just perfect.

rcsilverspring

Original Poster
Planning and reading up on Disney tips is half the fun of the trip for me,

DISboards-160x150.gif

GOTTA love the Dis!

but the more I read about Ohana and the more feedback I got from fellow Dis-ers, the less convinced I was that it was a good choice for us. Finally after watching a couple YouTube videos, we decided that it definitely was not the place for us. So I gave up this reservation and hopefully made someone’s day who was waiting for a cancellation. We decided on Captain’s Grill at the Yacht Club instead. DD #2 & I always wanted to “check out” the Yacht Club (and some other hotels in that area), so it would a be a good excuse to get over and finally see it in person. I’m happy with our decision, the Captain’s Grille looks much more “us” and will be vegan friendly, too. Finally, except for breakfast, my ADRs are done.

We decided our Kona breakfast should be AK day. We’re don’t feel the need to get there too early, so a nice leisurely breakfast seems the thing to do that day. I told DD#1 about the vegan Mickey waffles

veganMickeyWaffles.jpg
\
Looks good, BUT......

and she asked if they still do that yummy banana stuffed french toast? Her DBF can HAVE the vegan waffles, she wants that French toast!! That’s my girl!

Now comes studying the menus and deciding what I’ll have to eat at all these wonderful restaurants! I totally disagree with people (friends) who say “What if you’re not hungry for what that particular restaurant serves on the day you made ADRs for 6 months ago?”. We look over the menus for months and look forward to what we will be eating at each and every place.

Mid February, a high school friend, who knows what a Disney nut I am, called for advice on planning an impromptu trip to DW in March. I think I overwhelmed her with all the details and obsessive planning that we do, but managed not to scare her off. She e-mailed to say that she decided on Port Orleans, French Quarter for 5 nights, no dining plan, but with park hopper tickets. She said she asked Disney if you could pay with Disney gift cards? What? Why hadn’t I even thought of that? (Thanks, Cathy! :love:) Well, not only did they say “Yes”, our local Giant Eagle was giving DOUBLE fuel perks on Disney cards until March 2nd. She had gotten $8 in FPs booking a moderate resort for 2 with no dining plan! Imaging how much I could get booking a deluxe for 6 WITH the Disney Dining Plan!!! I immediately told DH about the free gas we could get and he agreed. We went and bought 10-$500 Disney gift cards

Disneygiftcard.jpg

getting $20 in fuel perks!!!! Yes, our package was a bit more (as anyone who’s stayed at the Polynesian can attest). Could we use up all the fuel perks in the 2 months before they expire? Hmmmmm, what if DD#2 could get gift cards at HER store, thus sharing in the fuel perks bonanza? Well, her fuel perks weren’t as good as mine, but every little bit helps. We both got cash back rewards for our purchases.

So, even though final payment wasn’t due until April, we didn’t want activated gift cards (especially such large amounts) sitting around, we are now PAID IN FULL!!!!!!! About a month early! Makes May seem even closer knowing all is paid for. And for that reason, I’m having a really hard time not starting to pack my suitcase already. I’ve had most of my clothes for this trip for at least 2 years now! I refuse to wear the things I bought for the postponed Disney trip until I actually wear them AT Disney World!!! Hopefully, I’ll still fit in them all!

rcsilverspring

Original Poster
Yay for being cancer free! My Mom has been free from breast cancer for 4 years this year. I'm so happy to hear everything came back clear!

And enjoy your trip! I know you will! Can't wait to read the report :wave:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I second that Yay! :sohappy:And Yay for your Mom, too! :sohappy: I'll keep her in my prayers as I do all my sister survivors. (and brothers, too)

I know we will have a wonderful time! How could we NOT? It's DISNEY WORLD!!! A bad day ay Disney is better than ANY day at home. :lol:

EnchantedRose

I refuse to wear the things I bought for the postponed Disney trip until I actually wear them AT Disney World!!! Hopefully, I’ll still fit in them all!

First off Congrats on kicking cancers butt! I have two aunts who have been fighting Breast Cancer for the past 10 years & I'm glad to say they are cancer free now! You rock!

Can't wait to read your TR....we are 157 days away....so I've got quite a bit to go! I thought I was the only one that bought clothes for DISNEY ONLY! :ROFLOL: I have a bunch of shirts for myself, hubby & our son that I just refuse to wear until we go! :D

Hope you have a great time!

mamamouse

Awe,I'm loving reading this eventhough it keeps making me cry,so happy to know everythings okay and wish you and the fam all the best in the future can't wait to read more:)

Todd L

Two Things..

First Im moved by your story and am so happy that your okay!! God Bless you.

second...Im sitting here salavating looking at The Mickey waffles and Tonga Toast?? Is that what its called..Ive Never had it but am gonna have to get over tho Ohana this trip for sure!!

trickortreater

What an awesome pre-trip report... and your DD#2 sounds like the coolest person ever :p

Woo! I can't believe we're at 30 DAYS! It almost doesn't seem real!

rcsilverspring

Original Poster
What an awesome pre-trip report... and your DD#2 sounds like the coolest person ever :p

Woo! I can't believe we're at 30 DAYS! It almost doesn't seem real!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks. DD#2 IS the best there is!! :p

And thanks for all the help you've given me with this PTR!

It IS coming fast! I'm so excited, Dad can hardly stand me! Good thing I'll see you this week-end :wave: and can share the magic with you. :sohappy:

rcsilverspring

Original Poster
Two Things..

First Im moved by your story and am so happy that your okay!! God Bless you.

second...Im sitting here salavating looking at The Mickey waffles and Tonga Toast?? Is that what its called..Ive Never had it but am gonna have to get over tho Ohana this trip for sure!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for your kind words.

And, yes, food pictures drive me crazy, too! Tonga Toast is amazing! but so are their Pineapple macadamia nut pancakes!!! Looking at "food " is one of my favorite activities!! Good thing just looking doesn't pack on the calories, too! :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom