On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

RSoxNo1

Massachusetts has an on-going list of "lower-risk states" that is updated regularly. Last update was on Sept. 11th, and only includes
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Maine
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • Oregon
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • and Wyoming
Anyone coming from ANY OTHER STATE who does not meet certain criteria must fill out an online form and quarantine for 14 days (or have a negative test within 72 hours of arrival). https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-travel-order#lower-risk-states-

It's a sad state of affairs when a pandemic gets to a point that they switch to listing lower-risk states because it's a shorter list than the high-risk states.
I believe the qualifiers to be on a "low-risk state" from Massachusetts are a few rolling 7 day averages. I believe it was under 8 cases per 100K residents and a positive rate of 5% or less on all testing. The positive rate is close for Florida, but the cases per 100K is not.

TrainsOfDisney

Yeah, I would say the closest equivalent to what _caleb is discussing as a hypothetical is the Busch Entertainment Corporation, specifically from 2000 up until its sale to private equity after the hostile takeover of Anheuser-Busch.

Herschend (owners of silver dollar city and operators of Dollywood) would be a great modern day equivalent.

Busch Gardens when Busch was still the owner was one of the best theme parks on the planet. Gorgeous landscaping, on theme entertainment, steam trains, one of the best non-ip dark rides ever built (Darkastle), and lots of great rides like escape from Pompeii, big bad wolf, Apollo’s chariot, Alpengeist. Goodness I wish I could visit again now!

Jrb1979

Herschend (owners of silver dollar city and operators of Dollywood) would be a great modern day equivalent.

Busch Gardens when Busch was still the owner was one of the best theme parks on the planet. Gorgeous landscaping, on theme entertainment, steam trains, one of the best non-ip dark rides ever built (Darkastle), and lots of great rides like escape from Pompeii, big bad wolf, Apollo’s chariot, Alpengeist. Goodness I wish I could visit again now!
From everything I have heard it still is a great park. The new coaster coming looks amazing. IP or well themed area aren't what make a park great. Its more the rides and attractions that IMO. I would take just about all the rides Cedar Point has over any Disney one. Give me a 300 ft tall coaster over any slow moving dark ride any day.

peter11435

From everything I have heard it still is a great park. The new coaster coming looks amazing. IP or well themed area aren't what make a park great. Its more the rides and attractions that IMO. I would take just about all the rides Cedar Point has over any Disney one. Give me a 300 ft tall coaster over any slow moving dark ride any day.
The difference between an amusement park and a theme park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You can go...just don’t expect good conduct of the customers
A couple runs on those monstrosities these days and I’m “good” for the day 😉

Heppenheimer

Just wondering, since I probably haven't visited since the early 90s (and I agree very much so with your assessment), how has it changed since? I remember the theming, if not quite at Disney-level, still being very immersive and well-done.

Jrb1979

You can go...just don’t expect good conduct of the customers

A couple runs on those monstrosities these days and I’m “good” for the day 😉
I am 41 and can still ride coasters non stop all day. Last year at Cedar Point I rode Maverick 12 times in 2 days. I have been to many parks all across the US and have never had any issues with bad conduct.

As far as Busch Gardens goes all I have heard is great things about them. The only thing I can think of as to why some don't like the changes is that they have added some amazing coasters but have taken away from the theming.

Jrb1979

I get that. I think why I find other parks more fun is I enjoy riding attractions multiple times, especially great coasters. What I find with Disney is just every attraction at Disney is one and done for me. There isn't one single attraction I would be rushing to get back on again. At least Universal gives me that, the Mummy, the Hulk, Spiderman and Forbidden Journey I always ride multiple times when I go.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
True...but that isn’t the “cut and dry” response that pro-Disney fans tend to make it out to be.

Amusement parks have that “incomplete feel”...they always have and always will. But theme parks can’t maintain their feel if the math is off. They need to be of adequate size and reinvestment or their flaws are highlighted over time. I believe that is what is slowly happening at Disney parks. Need to maintain enough investment with the costs. That’s been more of a mixed bag than we admit freely.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I get that. I think why I find other parks more fun is I enjoy riding attractions multiple times, especially great coasters. What I find with Disney is just every attraction at Disney is one and done for me. There isn't one single attraction I would be rushing to get back on again. At least Universal gives me that, the Mummy, the Hulk, Spiderman and Forbidden Journey I always ride multiple times when I go.
I think that is a philosophy difference as well...to give Disney credit. They have more “check it off” rides and shows that leave most content. That isn’t an issue when you’re in park because it’s balanced by the atmosphere, touches...and particular in park dining. The table service are a huge advantage. No other parks were ever close and that makes Disney unique. But they have to maintain it and they have not moved in the right direction there.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just wondering, since I probably haven't visited since the early 90s (and I agree very much so with your assessment), how has it changed since? I remember the theming, if not quite at Disney-level, still being very immersive and well-done.
Busch gardens/sea worlds are most definitely the “second place” US parks outside of the two combatants in Orlando/los Angeles.

Very nice in most ways.

carolina_yankee

BTW, California is on that tri-state quarantine list, as were Delaware and Maryland.

IOW, the way you framed this is not based in reality at all.

California's off the list. They met the metrics last Monday. The Tri-State area can prop up Orange County's tourism by visiting Disneyland. Oh, wait . . . ;)

I'm not a fan of the quarantines (poor Delaware gets on and off on a weekly basis, it seems), but it is based on numbers and nothing more. To be honest, there are many around here who would not travel to Florida or anywhere even with the quarantine lifted.

And it's not like our own tourism-based areas aren't being slammed, either (such as Broadway). It's not quarantines that are killing everything. It's the virus.

Dirk

Last edited:

_caleb

I was specifically wondering about Busch Gardens Williamsburg, since I've never beem to the one in Tampa.
One a theming scale of 1 (“parking lot with off-the-shelf carnival rides”) to 10 (“Animal Kingdom”), Busch Gardens Williamsburg is a 6 or 7 for me. It definitely has charm, with lots of little villages and tons of flowers everywhere, but when it comes to attractions (where it matters most), it feels more like decorating than “imagineering.” It’s like they drew inspiration from different European countries, but they didn’t add much in the way of imagination.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
California's off the list. They met the metrics last Monday. The Tri-State area can prop up Orange County's tourism by visiting Disneyland. Oh, wait . . . ;)

I'm not a fan of the quarantines (poor Delaware gets on and off on a weekly basis, it seems), but it is based on numbers and nothing more. To be honest, there are many around here who would not travel to Florida or anywhere even with the quarantine lifted.

And it's not like our own tourism-based areas aren't being slammed, either (such as Broadway). It's not quarantines that are killing everything. It's the virus.

Dirk
Yep...several travels spots - Nevada, Hawaii, and California - are off the lists. I believe Hawaii is open 10/12...long haul for them with no travel allowed.

But you highlight what I keep saying when people insist “the demand is there”. There is still little desire in the north east to go!! It’s a fantasy.

And that is right on Florida, Georgia, South Carolina . They just don’t get it with the optics of their whining for months about “opening”. It looks wreckless. It’s severely handicapping demand. It’s “anti-logic” to vehemently complain about the rules and then ask those that implemented/needed them more successfully to “trust us”.

I’d love to see Florida off the list...but they look dumb. The formula is out there...get to the numbers and they are not helping themselves. This is an open book exam.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One a theming scale of 1 (“parking lot with off-the-shelf carnival rides”) to 10 (“Animal Kingdom”), Busch Gardens Williamsburg is a 6 or 7 for me. It definitely has charm, with lots of little villages and tons of flowers everywhere, but when it comes to attractions (where it matters most), it feels more like decorating than “imagineering.” It’s like they drew inspiration from different European countries, but they didn’t add much in the way of imagination.
That’s kind a silly, isn’t it?

“Imagineering” is a Disney way of doing things...and it costs a fortune that can be viewed many times as bad business.

You’re holding others to a goal they never attempted to achieve.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom