On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

_caleb

This is it. The people who are saying the Disney execs should be ashamed to take their compensation packages while frontline CMs are furloughed don't seem to appreciate how much risk actually climbs as you progress through corporate leadership.

After riding the COVID wave in my industry and watching how CEOs have reacted, I've gotten a better picture of the amazing stress they are under trying to navigate challenges that they never expected to encounter. Now multiply that by 1,000 when you are talking about the ELT of a company with so much breadth in the economy as Disney. Every move these executives make are being watched by the board, the market, regulators and shareholders not to mention the media and a rabid Disney fanbase. The number of people who have the talent and skill to work in this environment are few in number. Those who do should be compensated for their work.
I'm not sure we're all using the word "Executives" in the same way here.

Castmbr

Here is the nice letter from concerned Corp Disney...."Dear Valued Employee" ..... sad. My position was furloughed and now it looks like it is time to move on. This letter was sent to many yesterday and some leaders did not even know it was happening.

Attachments

• Layoff.jpg
    Layoff.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

Lilofan

Here is the nice letter from concerned Corp Disney...."Dear Valued Employee" ..... sad. My position was furloughed and now it looks like it is time to move on.
These are very uncertain times. Good luck to you. Since you are still covered by company health insurance, it might be a good idea to get things done if needed.

Castmbr

These are very uncertain times. Good luck to you. Since you are still covered by company health insurance, it might be a good idea to get things done if needed.

Thanks and that is very true about insurance. I started saving the day Disney closed in March and glad I did. The $275 a week from FL is my new salary for , hopefully , a few months until I get a new position or job elsewhere.

Tom Morrow

So... Universal is now pretty packed on weekends. It's about like an average pre-covid "medium" day. I'm not saying I definitely agree with that, but the demand is there. Universal has not introduced any sort of reservation system and, allegedly anyway, has not hit their capacity limit. They introduced "pay for a day, get the rest of the year" deals for Florida residents. If Disney is hurting this badly then they need to stop dragging their feet on over-restricting the locals from getting in.

Lilofan

Thanks and that is very true about insurance. I started saving the day Disney closed in March and glad I did. The $275 a week from FL is my new salary for , hopefully , a few months until I get a new position or job elsewhere.
If you think about it, your new job may not have the same health benefits as Disney or you may be on a 90 day probationary period and not have health insurance. Use your benefits now if you can.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So... Universal is now pretty packed on weekends. It's about like an average pre-covid "medium" day. I'm not saying I definitely agree with that, but the demand is there. Universal has not introduced any sort of reservation system and, allegedly anyway, has not hit their capacity limit. They introduced "pay for a day, get the rest of the year" deals for Florida residents. If Disney is hurting this badly then they need to stop dragging their feet on over-restricting the locals from getting in.

Well, I hope Universal can make up the loss of continued day-ticket sells with Express and concessions.

Notes from Neverland

Here is the nice letter from concerned Corp Disney...."Dear Valued Employee" ..... sad. My position was furloughed and now it looks like it is time to move on. This letter was sent to many yesterday and some leaders did not even know it was happening.
Sorry to hear. It is nice to know health insurance is continuing. Still, not a fun time.

celluloid

That's desperate times for impacted people. To avoid homelessness, hopefully they can move in with someone they know.

They probably already were living in shared conditions as they were making only double that a week. Ideally, when they were laid off more than that through unemployment they saved what they could.

Last edited:

DVCakaCarlF

I would say they do, or at least make more money than they would if those guests weren't there. If 10 parties of 2 return for one day on the continued tickets, that's $250 spent on parking, around $400-ish on food, and $1600 spent on Express.
Cause they realize the park is a fixed cost, while the rest, that you pay for, is variable.

Walt d

Oh man. I have logged in, written drafts, deleted them, and swore I would never do this. Yet here I am. And I'm ready to start some ****.

The Walt Disney Company is about to experience some of the deepest layoffs I have ever witnessed in my adult life. I would call attention to the 2002 and 2009 layoffs after those respective crises. Those separations from the company were orderly. Often via generous voluntary packages. Hell, to his credit, Al Weiss was militant about never laying off a CM against their will after 9/11. I respect that. He was basically a dumbass otherwise.

In 2009, there was a similar "orderly" exit of excess personnel. However, much of this labor was brought back remarkably fast as Disney's business was in far better shape in 2009.

We also have other, smaller layoffs that hit project teams at WDI. These are bull**** layoffs. Flim Flam. Just some accounting tricks. Almost everyone is brought back.

Well, these days are no more. What you are about to see from WDC will be shocking and it will permanently change their business forever. The bloat is about to be gone. The mediocrity that's failed upward all our lives is about to be purged. A new company is emerging.

And no, Bob Chapek is no hero. But he does recognize the value in taking out the trash.

Now, lets talk about attendance at WDW. It's effing bad. Its Hard Rock Park bad. It's Dubai bad. Its the worst attendance in the history of the resort. Epcot is lucky to hit 2500 a day and usually is only hosting a few hundred at a time. Magic Kingdom is tormentingly under performing. There is simply no demand to fill the park out even to its limited capacity. The other two parks are also in dire straits, but due to their smaller size, there are certain days they can make a go of it. And yet still, the resort business is the iceberg and WDW Parks are the titanic. This will not end well.

The situation is dire. Unsustainable. WDW parks will be dropping to five day weeks soon. They will likely not be alone in this practice.

And that brings me to Bob Iger. Mr. Chairman. Mr. Gotta Put Yoda on His Wife's Dress to Bury Some Search Engine Leads. That guy. It is my pleasure to announce that he will be soon tossed on his ***. In disgrace. His sins, his poor judgement, his poor treatment of subordinates. His malicious temper and outrageous displays of "toxic masculinity" as the kids call it. All this and more is coming out. Good riddance.
Then we can redo everything that he got rid of and changed back to normal!

Thelazer

FYI, I haven't seen much about Disney layoffs.. but local hotel's, (Marriot) my god, it's been a bloodbath for the last week. Very high seniority folks gone.

Robbiem

Good luck. I hope you find something new and better soon

Castmbr

If you think about it, your new job may not have the same health benefits as Disney or you may be on a 90 day probationary period and not have health insurance. Use your benefits now if you can.

I need to clarify. When I said new salary.....my new salary is unemployment at ...$275/week. I hope that the executives like having their full salaries back. LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom