On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Stevie Amsterdam

I disagree. Execs get laid off in companies. When execs get laid off some do get a package and their responsibilities are combined with another exec that did not get laid off. When the going is good, companies created and expand the amount of execs, when the going gets tough, then some execs fall victim and are laid off. During the 2009 recession layoffs in our country, the local exotic car dealers started getting an abundance of trade ins of high end vehicles in my area due to high income earners ( some execs ) getting laid off and needing to sell back their toys.
You edited your post while I was writing a reply ;) There are many reasons for people to sell back expensive toys during a recession. Are you making an assumption that it was solely because of said people being laid off? Cause I for one sold some of my goodies even though I kept my job. It's just to add a little extra financial security by selling stuff back that you don't really need in the first place. That's a whole different thing then taking care of kids, mortgage, etc.

Lilofan

You edited your post while I was writing a reply ;) There are many reasons for people to sell back expensive toys during a recession. Are you making an assumption that it was solely because of said people being laid off? Cause I for one sold some of my goodies even though I kept my job. It's just to add a little extra financial security by selling stuff back that you don't really need in the first place. That's a whole different thing then taking care of kids, mortgage, etc.
In my neighborhood , yes. Fortunately I live within my means and don't get caught with that. And yes, kids were pulled from private schools and put in public schools and some unfortunately foreclosed on their homes.

Lilofan

While this may be true in some companies, it is certainly not the standard. As @Corey P mentioned, the sword usually falls on the lower level jobs that actually make the product. If there are no customers buying the product, there is no need for workers to make them. When the going is good, companies often need to expand their workforce with new workers, not executives. And vice versa, the workers are the first to be let go when times are bad.
Companies where I've worked for when the going is good expand their staff base however newly created " exec " positions take hold also. I knew some that were hesitant to apply and take on newly created exec positions. Some were right. These execs were some of the first to be laid off.

Polkadotdress

Florida unemployment runs out for CM s that were furloughed I believe in October (12+6 weeks the lowest in the country). The FLorida evictions moratorium runs out August 31st. DeSantis will not add the "$300" federal employment from Trumps executive order because he isn't sure its legal and if Florida is on the hook for itthe state will be bankrupted

FL unemployment is just 12 weeks. There are no additional +6 weeks. So, WDW Cast have long since reached the end of that road, and are surviving on the federal unemployment which pays at the state rate of $275/week. After taxes, that’s not enough to really live on.

Lilofan

FL unemployment is just 12 weeks. There are no additional +6 weeks. So, WDW Cast have long since reached the end of that road, and are surviving on the federal unemployment which pays at the state rate of $275/week. After taxes, that’s not enough to really live on.
That's desperate times for impacted people. To avoid homelessness, hopefully they can move in with someone they know.

Disorbust

There is an addition week for every increase of.5 % over the base unemployment rate. If it is Federal why is every state different?

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 6.36.24 AM.png

techgeek

There is an addition week for every increase of.5 % over the base unemployment rate. If it is Federal why is every state different?

View attachment 492914

I'm not sure where the '6 weeks' is coming from on that chart, I'm not aware of any benefit fitting that timeframe. In my case, in Florida, I have been collecting unemployment since the end of March. For 3 months I was receiving state benefits of $275/week, plus the federal $600/week until the end of July. When that ran out, my account was 'switched' over to a federal PEUC benefit that is funded at $275/week for an additional 12 weeks.

Here's the page from FL DEO that breaks it down: https://floridajobs.org/cares-act

Lilofan

I'm not sure where the '6 weeks' is coming from on that chart, I'm not aware of any benefit fitting that timeframe. In my case, in Florida, I have been collecting unemployment since the end of March. For 3 months I was receiving state benefits of $275/week, plus the federal $600/week until the end of July. When that ran out, my account was 'switched' over to a federal PEUC benefit that is funded at $275/week for an additional 12 weeks.

Here's the page from FL DEO that breaks it down: https://floridajobs.org/cares-act
That doesn't make sense. One has to apply for PEUC and see if they are eligible and only after the FL unemployment runs out and not any earlier. How was your account "switched"?

techgeek

That doesn't make sense. One has to apply for PEUC and see if they are eligible and only after the FL unemployment runs out and not any earlier. How was your account "switched"?

"That doesn't make sense." - welcome to the Florida Unemployment system lol... I'll grant you it's all very confusing, there was 3 different 'types' of benefit provided by the CARES act and some people fit into some buckets but not others. It's been a very hard process to navigate.

Once my original 3 month benefit available balance hit $0, there was simply a button that appeared in the benefit portal 'Apply for PEUC benefits'. I hit that, verified some information and the system reset my available benefit. Apparently it works differently depending on the date you originally applied, if you applied after early April I think I've seen the process is relatively automatic. Regardless, you still then have to go into the portal and 'claim' individual weeks of benefits twice a month.

Polkadotdress

View attachment 492914

There is an addendum that allows for additional weeks of unemployment IF unemployment reaches a certain %, which we’ve certainly reached. However, the “fine print” is that our FL legislature must vote on it (in Jan?) to approve it. So, although we’re hitting those levels now, the approval ( if it even comes) will be far too late.

FL is among the lowest unemployment, with the fewest weeks and smallest rate of pay.

SpoiledBlueMilk

The cold, hard truth is the pool of potentially good executives in this industry, or really any industry, is relatively much shallower than the pool of people qualified to be a front CM in the parks.
This is it. The people who are saying the Disney execs should be ashamed to take their compensation packages while frontline CMs are furloughed don't seem to appreciate how much risk actually climbs as you progress through corporate leadership.

After riding the COVID wave in my industry and watching how CEOs have reacted, I've gotten a better picture of the amazing stress they are under trying to navigate challenges that they never expected to encounter. Now multiply that by 1,000 when you are talking about the ELT of a company with so much breadth in the economy as Disney. Every move these executives make are being watched by the board, the market, regulators and shareholders not to mention the media and a rabid Disney fanbase. The number of people who have the talent and skill to work in this environment are few in number. Those who do should be compensated for their work.

Lilofan

"That doesn't make sense." - welcome to the Florida Unemployment system lol... I'll grant you it's all very confusing, there was 3 different 'types' of benefit provided by the CARES act and some people fit into some buckets but not others. It's been a very hard process to navigate.

Once my original 3 month benefit available balance hit $0, there was simply a button that appeared in the benefit portal 'Apply for PEUC benefits'. I hit that, verified some information and the system reset my available benefit. Apparently it works differently depending on the date you originally applied, if you applied after early April I think I've seen the process is relatively automatic. Regardless, you still then have to go into the portal and 'claim' individual weeks of benefits twice a month.
It makes sense now. You said account was switched but you actually had to apply for the benefit which you did online upon further explanation.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
The cold, hard truth is the pool of potentially good executives in this industry, or really any industry, is relatively much shallower than the pool of people qualified to be a front CM in the parks.

Beyond that, Disney's higher leadership is extremely hard to get into, even if you meet their requirements.

As opposed to frontline CM's, where during normal times, the only requirement is a pulse.

Lilofan

Beyond that, Disney's higher leadership is extremely hard to get into, even if you meet their requirements.

As opposed to frontline CM's, where during normal times, the only requirement is a pulse.
Don't forget paperwork to work legally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom