On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Lilofan

I'm not sure where the '6 weeks' is coming from on that chart, I'm not aware of any benefit fitting that timeframe. In my case, in Florida, I have been collecting unemployment since the end of March. For 3 months I was receiving state benefits of $275/week, plus the federal $600/week until the end of July. When that ran out, my account was 'switched' over to a federal PEUC benefit that is funded at $275/week for an additional 12 weeks.

Here's the page from FL DEO that breaks it down: https://floridajobs.org/cares-act
That doesn't make sense. One has to apply for PEUC and see if they are eligible and only after the FL unemployment runs out and not any earlier. How was your account "switched"?

techgeek

Advertisement
That doesn't make sense. One has to apply for PEUC and see if they are eligible and only after the FL unemployment runs out and not any earlier. How was your account "switched"?

"That doesn't make sense." - welcome to the Florida Unemployment system lol... I'll grant you it's all very confusing, there was 3 different 'types' of benefit provided by the CARES act and some people fit into some buckets but not others. It's been a very hard process to navigate.

Once my original 3 month benefit available balance hit $0, there was simply a button that appeared in the benefit portal 'Apply for PEUC benefits'. I hit that, verified some information and the system reset my available benefit. Apparently it works differently depending on the date you originally applied, if you applied after early April I think I've seen the process is relatively automatic. Regardless, you still then have to go into the portal and 'claim' individual weeks of benefits twice a month.

Polkadotdress

There is an addition week for every increase of.5 % over the base unemployment rate. If it is Federal why is every state different?

View attachment 492914

There is an addendum that allows for additional weeks of unemployment IF unemployment reaches a certain %, which we’ve certainly reached. However, the “fine print” is that our FL legislature must vote on it (in Jan?) to approve it. So, although we’re hitting those levels now, the approval ( if it even comes) will be far too late.

FL is among the lowest unemployment, with the fewest weeks and smallest rate of pay.

SpoiledBlueMilk

The cold, hard truth is the pool of potentially good executives in this industry, or really any industry, is relatively much shallower than the pool of people qualified to be a front CM in the parks.
This is it. The people who are saying the Disney execs should be ashamed to take their compensation packages while frontline CMs are furloughed don't seem to appreciate how much risk actually climbs as you progress through corporate leadership.

After riding the COVID wave in my industry and watching how CEOs have reacted, I've gotten a better picture of the amazing stress they are under trying to navigate challenges that they never expected to encounter. Now multiply that by 1,000 when you are talking about the ELT of a company with so much breadth in the economy as Disney. Every move these executives make are being watched by the board, the market, regulators and shareholders not to mention the media and a rabid Disney fanbase. The number of people who have the talent and skill to work in this environment are few in number. Those who do should be compensated for their work.

Lilofan

"That doesn't make sense." - welcome to the Florida Unemployment system lol... I'll grant you it's all very confusing, there was 3 different 'types' of benefit provided by the CARES act and some people fit into some buckets but not others. It's been a very hard process to navigate.

Once my original 3 month benefit available balance hit $0, there was simply a button that appeared in the benefit portal 'Apply for PEUC benefits'. I hit that, verified some information and the system reset my available benefit. Apparently it works differently depending on the date you originally applied, if you applied after early April I think I've seen the process is relatively automatic. Regardless, you still then have to go into the portal and 'claim' individual weeks of benefits twice a month.
It makes sense now. You said account was switched but you actually had to apply for the benefit which you did online upon further explanation.

mkt

Maleante Izquierdozo
Premium Member
The cold, hard truth is the pool of potentially good executives in this industry, or really any industry, is relatively much shallower than the pool of people qualified to be a front CM in the parks.

Beyond that, Disney's higher leadership is extremely hard to get into, even if you meet their requirements.

As opposed to frontline CM's, where during normal times, the only requirement is a pulse.

Lilofan

Beyond that, Disney's higher leadership is extremely hard to get into, even if you meet their requirements.

As opposed to frontline CM's, where during normal times, the only requirement is a pulse.
Don't forget paperwork to work legally.

_caleb

This is it. The people who are saying the Disney execs should be ashamed to take their compensation packages while frontline CMs are furloughed don't seem to appreciate how much risk actually climbs as you progress through corporate leadership.

After riding the COVID wave in my industry and watching how CEOs have reacted, I've gotten a better picture of the amazing stress they are under trying to navigate challenges that they never expected to encounter. Now multiply that by 1,000 when you are talking about the ELT of a company with so much breadth in the economy as Disney. Every move these executives make are being watched by the board, the market, regulators and shareholders not to mention the media and a rabid Disney fanbase. The number of people who have the talent and skill to work in this environment are few in number. Those who do should be compensated for their work.
I'm not sure we're all using the word "Executives" in the same way here.

Castmbr

Here is the nice letter from concerned Corp Disney...."Dear Valued Employee" ..... sad. My position was furloughed and now it looks like it is time to move on. This letter was sent to many yesterday and some leaders did not even know it was happening.

Attachments

• Layoff.jpg
    Layoff.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

Lilofan

Here is the nice letter from concerned Corp Disney...."Dear Valued Employee" ..... sad. My position was furloughed and now it looks like it is time to move on.
These are very uncertain times. Good luck to you. Since you are still covered by company health insurance, it might be a good idea to get things done if needed.

Castmbr

These are very uncertain times. Good luck to you. Since you are still covered by company health insurance, it might be a good idea to get things done if needed.

Thanks and that is very true about insurance. I started saving the day Disney closed in March and glad I did. The $275 a week from FL is my new salary for , hopefully , a few months until I get a new position or job elsewhere.

Tom Morrow

So... Universal is now pretty packed on weekends. It's about like an average pre-covid "medium" day. I'm not saying I definitely agree with that, but the demand is there. Universal has not introduced any sort of reservation system and, allegedly anyway, has not hit their capacity limit. They introduced "pay for a day, get the rest of the year" deals for Florida residents. If Disney is hurting this badly then they need to stop dragging their feet on over-restricting the locals from getting in.

Lilofan

Thanks and that is very true about insurance. I started saving the day Disney closed in March and glad I did. The $275 a week from FL is my new salary for , hopefully , a few months until I get a new position or job elsewhere.
If you think about it, your new job may not have the same health benefits as Disney or you may be on a 90 day probationary period and not have health insurance. Use your benefits now if you can.

Top Bottom