On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think the OP and the rumor guys have jumped ship to other boards, it’s all quiet here now, but you can look at at facebook groups of disney employees to read their layoffs stories if need be.

We still have plenty of very reliable insiders who are still giving us information. Only they don't do so coupled with conspiracy theories or trying to leverage their inside information to get us to hate Iger as much as they do <looks at thread title>. Nor do our reliable insiders look to preside over their own special insider threads promising more insider drops that never happen nor do they never get around to realistically address their insider predictions that did not come to pass.

We're good.

sbunit

We still have plenty of very reliable insiders who are still giving us information. Only they don't do so coupled with conspiracy theories or trying to leverage their inside information to get us to hate Iger as much as they do <looks at thread title>. Nor do our reliable insiders look to preside over their own special insider threads promising more insider drops that never happen nor do they never get around to realistically address their insider predictions that did not come to pass.

We're good.
Serious question. What’s the point of insiders sharing information on the forums? What’s their benefit in doing so?

sbunit

I think you will have as many agendas as there are posters

Fair enough. I've personally came to my own conclusion that there are two type of insiders:

1) Those who have legitimate connections and information and use their information to help clarify things to readers and perhaps set appropriate expectations.
2) Those who have some degree of legitimate information and use their information to create these huge (quite interesting ) stories. It's this group of insiders who I am wondering what their gain is to share their information in this story building manner. Don't get me wrong, the stories and posts are definitely interesting and entertaining but I've always wondered, outside of gossip, what's the gain (especially when they take any and all criticism towards their posts to heart).

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Disney temporary salary reductions, which had been open-ended, will be lifted starting August 23., sources say."

_caleb

Serious question. What’s the point of insiders sharing information on the forums? What’s their benefit in doing so?
There have been quite a few "bombshell" gossip threads recently though from other posters. Edit: In the WDW Subforums. I didn't realize this was under the DLR subforums and I don't typically follow these.

I discussed this in one of them. I'm not claiming to be anyone important, but I have been a member of this site for almost 20 years, and in that time I've noticed the following recurring pattern: (also has it really been a year? I thought that expose happened in December!)

- Things are quiet for a while, public opinion and confidence of TWDC seems stable.
- "Bombshell" gossip thread drops, from alleged "insiders" to shake things up, insinuate "actually, things are bad behind the scenes". These always have a similar tone and writing style (lots of snark and sass, for example), and always come with a heavy dose of their signature brand of Doom & Gloom.
- Other alleged insiders come out of the woodwork to agree, call out the others by name, add in their own gossip. Peculiar that they all come "out of retirement" at the same time.
- The community erupts in panic, accusations, convinced the worst is going to happen.
- Some time later, TWDC "corrects course". The end result is NEVER as bad as the gossip implies.

This recurring pattern certainly makes the accusations of that expose thread believable, even if the names and people it threw out are wrong (for instance, it really doesn't seem like TP2000 is who they think it is). I'm also not calling out any names in particular, especially not any members that are always here. There's a stark difference between them and all those who appear at the same time and give each other virtual handshakes. "Looks like the whole gang's here!"

I think it's obvious to everyone that companies engage with their customers/fanbases, etc. through social media for feedback. I typically assume that any new thread that essentially asks "what do you guys think of _____?" from an unknown poster is possibly someone from Disney gathering data. But forums such as this can be used both to gather data on public opinion and sway public opinion. What's less obvious to some is that TWDC is in a unique and privileged position where its brand loyalty is so strong that they could, in theory, intentionally leak gossip and information that makes them look bad internally and actually receive a positive outcome from it. There's also no doubt in my mind that the inner workings of executive level TWDC are so cutthroat that they would use tools like this to throw others under the bus. This is, after all, the corporate culture of TWDC from the top all the way down.

Another thing to consider is that any poster who hasn't at least established themselves as an "insider" can easily appear as one if they follow the rumors and gossip closely enough and write in a creative way that suggests insider information but is really just re-wording what's already being discussed in a more "official" way.

Heppenheimer

Not really. Why people ever use whiz over American or Provolone is beyond me.
More for texture than for taste. And at some places, whiz is the only option for "with".

If Wawa migrated to Florida, perhaps the right kind of bread could be available for a cheesesteak stand at Disney Springs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom