On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

el_super

Will layoffs be announced in September and be done before the new fiscal year starts on October 1st?

FL may be different, but in CA, employers (with more than 150 employees) have to give 60 days notice prior to a layoff. With no public notice being submitted, it doesn't seem that they will be laying off any corp/wdi folks until after the new fiscal year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hard Rock hotel at Universal is awesome. The huge outdoor pool has underwater speakers playing rock and roll when you swim underwater!
Next time I go...and hopefully that won’t be too long...I will stay there. I’ve been to other hard rocks and they do a nice job.

Stayed at royal pacific for 4 and cabana bay for 1 and went to portofino to eat/snoop around.

Nice...don’t get me wrong...but not my perfect choices.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Will layoffs be announced in September and be done before the new fiscal year starts on October 1st?
FL may be different, but in CA, employers (with more than 150 employees) have to give 60 days notice prior to a layoff. With no public notice being submitted, it doesn't seem that they will be laying off any corp/wdi folks until after the new fiscal year.
It’s widely speculated 10/1 is “krystalnacht” for layoffs...

I mentioned this on other Threads. If you got any federal covid money and fuloughed employees...you have to keep them on staff till 9/30.

That is going to be far more widespread than anyone want to thinks about.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
First of all, the current Figment is a completely different character compared to his original personality (charming, curious, and fun loving)!

This is the Figment we know and love!
a80a3bfd0cd6c2a634925937c071038b.jpg

900w-600h_102717_fanniversary-figment-art-8.jpg

This Figment is an imposter! #NotMyFigment
smell-area.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

90ef75b8018080c70db0e1afcdba3599.jpg

There's a reason why a lot of us prefer the original version over the botched version that's still running. Videos don't do the original attraction justice unless you been there during the 80s and 90s.
You’re telling me.

Best park character ever by miles.

My kids got a kitten - ironically just before lockdowns - named him after this favorite

Jrb1979

I mentioned this on other Threads. If you got any federal covid money and fuloughed employees...you have to keep them on staff till 9/30.

That's when places like Disney are really going to feel it. Its the same where I live many are still spending as if nothing has changed. Come fall when that money runs out I think things will change. The scary part is how many aren't saving for when that happens.

UNCgolf

Next time I go...and hopefully that won’t be too long...I will stay there. I’ve been to other hard rocks and they do a nice job.

Stayed at royal pacific for 4 and cabana bay for 1 and went to portofino to eat/snoop around.

Nice...don’t get me wrong...but not my perfect choices.

I really liked the Royal Pacific -- only Universal hotel I've stayed at, but I explored a couple of the others and I didn't like the Hard Rock nearly as much as Royal Pacific. Portofino Bay looked good, though.

I also really like Cabana Bay just because I love the Googie etc. inspired 1950s look.

I'd still probably stay at the Royal Pacific again over any of the other options if/when I go back there.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really liked the Royal Pacific -- only Universal hotel I've stayed at, but I explored a couple of the others and I didn't like the Hard Rock nearly as much as Royal Pacific. Portofino Bay looked good, though.

I also really like Cabana Bay just because I love the Googie etc. inspired 1950s look.
Loved cabana...really cool feel. Nice pools...the bowling alley with the ALKY shakes...

Problem is they hold express pass over you as a hostage...down side

Lilofan

I never knew that about furloughed staff to keep them until 9/30. I know of one at United Airlines that declined the buyout package. The CEO of UA already advised of possible massive layoffs at UA starting on Oct 1.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's when places like Disney are really going to feel it. Its the same where I live many are still spending as if nothing has changed. Come fall when that money runs out I think things will change. The scary part is how many aren't saving for when that happens.
Well they say that US debt has slightly dropped and savings has slightly gone up since lockdown...

But that I attribute to lack of retail and restaurant. The majority of business is not grubhub and amazon...despite myth.

But generally speaking nobody has changed...spend away.

My BIL went and basically ordered a Subaru ascent in April...like sticker price...believe it was “time to buy”..:as if the price would go UP when the inevitable recession kicked in 🙄

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I never knew that about furloughed staff to keep them until 9/30. I know of one at United Airlines that declined the buyout package. The CEO of UA already advised of possible massive layoffs at UA starting on Oct 1.
That’s IF they received the corporate money. Which is secret.

Think Disney had its hand in that till?

Heppenheimer

First of all, the current Figment is a completely different character compared to his original personality (charming, curious, and fun loving)!

This is the Figment we know and love!
a80a3bfd0cd6c2a634925937c071038b.jpg

900w-600h_102717_fanniversary-figment-art-8.jpg

This Figment is an imposter! #NotMyFigment
smell-area.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

90ef75b8018080c70db0e1afcdba3599.jpg

There's a reason why a lot of us prefer the original version over the botched version that's still running. Videos don't do the original attraction justice unless you been there during the 80s and 90s.
Not just Figment, but the whole pavilion was much better for its time, from the ride, the exterior fountains, to Imageworks, to Magic Journeys/Captain EO. Its hard to say how it would have held up over the years, but at least for the first decade of its existence, the Imagination pavilion was the most enjoyable part of Epcot. Whereas the original was fun, whimsical and technologically advanced for the early 80s, the updates have all been little more than cheap patch-jobs.

Not going to argue for Horizons, though. I get that people have a nostalgic connection to it, but I don't exactly understand why people mourn its loss so greatly. Horizon's vision of the future would have been extremely dated had it survived. I know, we haven't colonized the moon or the ocean depths yet, or terraformed the deserts... but these were the dreams of yesterday's future. We've long since discarded these ideas as impractical and/or not desirable.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

My BIL went and basically ordered a Subaru ascent in April...like sticker price...believe it was “time to buy”..:as if the price would go UP when the inevitable recession kicked in 🙄

I actually think buying a car this spring/summer was a good idea -- I bought one in early May and got both a good price on the car itself and incredibly good value on the trade-in. I wasn't sure if I was going to buy; I just did some exploration and the deal was so good I couldn't pass it up.

Dealerships weren't selling anything so they were desperate to move inventory off the lot, especially with the new models coming in early fall. They can't afford to have a bunch of last year's models just sitting there.

Not buying it for sticker price, though. That's silly.

CaptainAmerica

If layoffs have been decided prior to the close of the fiscal year, accounting can accrue for any severance/termination expense even if they have not been fully communicated yet.

In other words, Disney can take the expense hit in 2020 for layoffs that won't fully be rolled out until 2021.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I actually think buying a car this spring/summer was a good idea -- I bought one in early May and got both a good price on the car itself and incredibly good value on the trade-in. I wasn't sure if I was going to buy; I just did some exploration and the deal was so good I couldn't pass it up.

Dealerships weren't selling anything so they were desperate to move inventory off the lot, especially with the new models coming in early fall. They can't afford to have a bunch of last year's models just sitting there.

Yeah...he ordered it. Which involved it coming from somewhere about 8 feet away because it was “in” in like 3 days.

Just stupid. Paying full price for that is a badge of honor...paying for anything else is “dumb”

As far as cars go...they had no sales and a supply crunch in the spring. Supply is catching up but sales my fall off now

FutureCEO

I feel bad for buying a car last year then :( but after 10 years with my other one, it was time. That and I didn't want to bother with my check engine light that was coming on.

CaptainAmerica

Not just Figment, but the whole pavilion was much better for its time, from the ride, the exterior fountains, to Imageworks, to Magic Journeys/Captain EO. Its hard to say how it would have held up over the years, but at least for the first decade of its existence, the Imagination pavilion was the most enjoyable part of Epcot. Whereas the original was fun, whimsical and technologically advanced for the early 80s, the updates have all been little more than cheap patch-jobs.

Not going to argue for Horizons, though. I get that people have a nostalgic connection to it, but I don't exactly understand why people mourn its loss so greatly. Horizon's vision of the future would have been extremely dated had it survived. I know, we haven't colonized the moon or the ocean depths yet, or terraformed the deserts... but these were the dreams of yesterday's future. We've long since discarded these ideas as impractical and/or not desirable.
Future World has the same problem as Tomorrowland. As soon as you approve an "update" for something and then actually build it, it's obsolete before a guest ever sets foot in the attraction. That's why I actually like the addition of Guardians of the Galaxy... 80s kitsch executed with modern technology can be a lot of fun.

UNCgolf

Speak for yourself. Though I’ve said it countless times if Horizons were still open and not been substantially upgraded it would be a joke today.

Absolutely. I mentioned that in my long EPCOT post earlier.

As much as I loved Horizons (probably my favorite Disney ride ever), there is absolutely no way that ride could still exist in its original form. It would be hopelessly outdated. That's actually true of most of the original EPCOT masterpieces, although Spaceship Earth would have only needed relatively minor changes from its original incarnation as opposed to a full overhaul.

Journey into Imagination is possibly an exception in that I think the original ride would still work today, but it would not be as impressive as it was and it could have been improved with new technology etc.

asianway

Law is suspended by Newsom EO, due to COVID.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom