On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Heppenheimer

Future World has the same problem as Tomorrowland. As soon as you approve an "update" for something and then actually build it, it's obsolete before a guest ever sets foot in the attraction. That's why I actually like the addition of Guardians of the Galaxy... 80s kitsch executed with modern technology can be a lot of fun.
This is why World's Fairs were not permanent exhibitions. They caught the spirit of a brief moment in time, then closed before they dated themselves. What was a fascinating item at one World's Fair could easily enter a history museum a decade later (Rubik's cube, anyone?). Therein lies the central paradox of Epcot. It brilliantly displayed the Futurism of a distinct period, and has struggled (and mostly failed) to adequately update itself as the actual future has diverged from the visions of the late 1970s-early 1980s.

MrHorse

Future World has the same problem as Tomorrowland. As soon as you approve an "update" for something and then actually build it, it's obsolete before a guest ever sets foot in the attraction. That's why I actually like the addition of Guardians of the Galaxy... 80s kitsch executed with modern technology can be a lot of fun.
I dunno.
We always say stuff like this, but is it really that hard to come up with a societal goal that will still be relevant in a 30-50 years?
Things like space colonization, neural interfaces, and moving to a sustainable society have been goals for ages and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. It's not that hard to come up with ideas on a grand scale.

Heppenheimer

Journey into Imagination is possibly an exception in that I think the original ride would still work today, but it would not be as impressive as it was and it could have been improved with new technology etc.
I think with only minor adjustments, the ride would have mostly still worked today. As much as I loved the original ImageWorks, though, most of the exhibits would have been extremely dated presently.

UNCgolf

I dunno.
We always say stuff like this, but is it really that hard to come up with a societal goal that will still be relevant in a 30-50 years?
Things like space colonization, neural interfaces, and moving to a sustainable society have been goals for ages and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. It's not that hard to come up with ideas on a grand scale.

The issue (and it would be one of the biggest problems with Horizons if it still existed in its original form) is that the vision of what that will look like varies wildly as time passes.

Basically all of the future scenes in Horizons are still aspirational goals today, but they no longer look anything like that early 1980s vision/aesthetic.

UNCgolf

I think with only minor adjustments, the ride would have mostly still worked today. As much as I loved the original ImageWorks, though, most of the exhibits would have been extremely dated presently.

Oh yeah. ImageWorks (other than the rainbow tunnel) would have needed a complete overhaul. Those exhibits would be almost uniformly laughable today.

Heppenheimer

The issue (and it would be one of the biggest problems with Horizons if it still existed in its original form) is that the vision of what that will look like varies wildly as time passes.

Basically all of the future scenes in Horizons are still aspirational goals today, but they no longer look anything like that early 1980s vision/aesthetic.
Terraforming the desert is definitely not an aspirational goal today, however.

MrHorse

For sure. But a lot of that can be handled by planning for changes. Updating the decor of your space station and putting new haircuts on the animatronics goes a long way. Avoiding pop culture references and such obviously helps.
You can't do it forever but how long does a theme park ride need to last between major updates? Twenty years seems pretty reasonable and achievable.

UNCgolf

Terraforming the desert is definitely not an aspirational goal today, however.

It is for some people! There have actually been some discussions around terraforming deserts as a way to combat climate change. But that's obviously not any type of uniform future goal that most people agree on.

It's different than what they're suggesting in Horizons, of course, and I agree that would almost certainly not be in an updated version. The space base, future city, and underwater habitat would all still fit nicely, though.

Heppenheimer

For sure. But a lot of that can be handled by planning for changes. Updating the decor of your space station and putting new haircuts on the animatronics goes a long way. Avoiding pop culture references and such obviously helps.
You can't do it forever but how long does a theme park ride need to last between major updates? Twenty years seems pretty reasonable and achievable.
I think we've seen perfect evidence over the past few decades that Disney is not going to put that kind of money in ride updates. They're far more likely to trash the old ride and build something completely new.

UNCgolf

Agreed.

I think the biggest issue with Horizons would be the gigantic screen showing 1980s CGI. I think they would have had to completely remove and redo that entire section of the ride. Updating the future habitat scenes would have been a simpler undertaking.

flynnibus

Premium Member
FL may be different, but in CA, employers (with more than 150 employees) have to give 60 days notice prior to a layoff. With no public notice being submitted, it doesn't seem that they will be laying off any corp/wdi folks until after the new fiscal year.

It's called the WARN act - cali has its own flavor. And you get around that with your severance model. Announce layoffs today, but last paid day isn't until a point in the future.

I think the future is X-men. They need to bring that in and take the mcu a different direction. It will allow them to not strangle the avengers characters 4x a year and let it breath a little

X-Men movies...we've been there and done that. I'd much rather see a rebooted version of the Fantastic Four brought into the MCU, and done RIGHT this time. After all, they were the ones that started it all...the first "Marvel comic" that Stan Lee ever wrote (on Joan's encouragement). Plus, with Reed Richards being a scientist and futurist, they could have an attraction in Future World or Tomorrowland...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
X-Men movies...we've been there and done that. I'd much rather see a rebooted version of the Fantastic Four brought into the MCU, and done RIGHT this time. After all, they were the ones that started it all...the first "Marvel comic" that Stan Lee ever wrote (on Joan's encouragement). Plus, with Reed Richards being a scientist and futurist, they could have an attraction in Future World or Tomorrowland...
The X-men series has more potential characters and stories...fantastic four just doesn’t carry that weight even if Doctor doom is cool.

The Fox X-men went bad...which is an opportunity to make it good again

Sir_Cliff

It's different than what they're suggesting in Horizons, of course, and I agree that would almost certainly not be in an updated version. The space base, future city, and underwater habitat would all still fit nicely, though.
To be honest, anything other than the future city seems very left of field from where visions of the future have been for decades now. Is anyone really imagining living in an underwater habitat or a space city anymore?

I guess it's a sad commentary on where we are, but it seems that the focus when thinking about the future at the moment is to avoid destroying the planet too much or, failing that, figuring out how to live on a destroyed planet. If you got rid of the conceit of showing current visions of a potential future I suppose it could work.

Last edited:

MrHorse

The X-men series has more potential characters and stories...fantastic four just doesn’t carry that weight even if Doctor doom is cool.
The Fox X-men went bad...which is an opportunity to make it good again

I kinda feel like the X-Men just aren't a good fit for the moment.
Heroes are in vogue right now. But the X-Men's whole schtick is that they look like heroes, but they're actually victims. And while the comic addresses a lot of social issues that are very relevant at the moment, it tends to do so in a very hamfisted way that was meant to appeal to (or was written by) folks that had never thought too critically about that kinda thing before.

For better or worse, most of what originally made the X-Men unique has been synthesized by the rest of the industry. And they absorbed it without sacrificing the stuff that made earlier comics great. Modern comics, and comic movies especially, have learned to combine the complex, conflicted heroes with popcorn spectacle in a way that the X-Men never managed.

SteamboatJoe

Absolutely. I mentioned that in my long EPCOT post earlier.

As much as I loved Horizons (probably my favorite Disney ride ever), there is absolutely no way that ride could still exist in its original form. It would be hopelessly outdated. That's actually true of most of the original EPCOT masterpieces, although Spaceship Earth would have only needed relatively minor changes from its original incarnation as opposed to a full overhaul.

Journey into Imagination is possibly an exception in that I think the original ride would still work today, but it would not be as impressive as it was and it could have been improved with new technology etc.

SSE remains relevant (and World of Motion would have remained relevant) because it's (their) primary focus on is/was the history and evolution of a technology with only a mere, somewhat vague glimpse into the future. Like Carousel of Progress, this approach prevented it (them) from becoming dated and thus made it (them) relatively timeless. Only the final scene(s) need(ed) refreshed every decade or so to stay current as opposed to the entire experience.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Agreed.

I think the biggest issue with Horizons would be the gigantic screen showing 1980s CGI. I think they would have had to completely remove and redo that entire section of the ride. Updating the future habitat scenes would have been a simpler undertaking.
Only one shot was CGI. It was revolutionary at the time - the largest CG IMAX animation to date.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom