On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Brer Oswald

You have a certain nostalgic curiosity about Mr. Walt Disney...I like that but I think your opinion will change over time.

But I appreciate anyone that likes to learn through research and analysis. It’s nice to see some brains at work.

Yeah...but most of the real money ended up with his wife and kids.
My full views have shifted a bit, but I’ve done enough research to say my opinion is rather firm and locked in.

I’m a very very flawed person in my own right, and many of my flaws are caused by significant experiences in my life. I try to inquire about the life experiences of others in order to understand their flaws.

hopemax

The BlockOut calendar for Cast shows that Self Admission is blocked from Aug 3 - Oct 31
FYI, self-admission block outs have been lifted at AK, MK and Epcot thru Thursday. CM's can now check for reservations. So while not a fully, rolling week in advance yet, CMs should get in the habit of checking to see if the next week has opened up, if they are wanting to go. Not sure how much impact it will have as long as sign-ins are still blocked. Full-timers would want to bring their families, I imagine.

Mac Tonight

Which (apart from some of the Fox stuff) is amazing! What a company!
tenor.gif

Moka

Did we all see they officially announced shorter hours or am I late? Animal Kingdom has returned to 5PM park! Yippee!

(UPDATE: Animal Kingdom will open at 9am, NOT 8am like I had previously had on this post.)

For those too lazy to look themselves:
  • Magic Kingdom – 9am to 6pm (previously closed at 7pm)
  • EPCOT – 11am to 7pm (previously closed at 9pm)
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios – 10am to 7pm (previously closed at 8pm)
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom – 9am to 5pm (previously closed at 6pm)

Shorter hours listed here.

Last edited:

davis_unoxx

It's not decided, but 11-7 has been discussed.

You're missing the cascading effects that will occur if A) vaccines aren't successful in the next 12 months or B) the virus mutates. In those significantly possible scenarios (God help us), Disney could be forced into either crippling debt or selling significant assets. Additionally, if the film industry is unable to resume soon, Disney+ will quickly become a significant liability.

Remember I said that was the most dire situation, not an expected outcome. In that scenario where attendance continues to crater while the disease numbers and deaths rise greatly, they could potentially move DVC to WL to alleviate some issues.

September/October
Wow you were spot on, park hours at all parks have been shortened with epcot going to 11-7

Father Robinson

Right now? No. It would be fiscally irresponsible to take on a new project without knowing how long the current situation is.

But once the current situation ends, there is no financial reason not to go ahead with a project they announced. It just means other projects that haven't been announced yet drop back in the queue.

So, before there's a replacement for SGE, Primeval Whirl, JII, the DHS 'black box', etc... Then the SM revamp will take place.
Praying that it turns into a Main Street Theater situation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My full views have shifted a bit, but I’ve done enough research to say my opinion is rather firm and locked in.

I’m a very very flawed person in my own right, and many of my flaws are caused by significant experiences in my life. I try to inquire about the life experiences of others in order to understand their flaws.
Sure, but there's a big difference from when it was only Disney/Pixar/ABC/ESPN, to now.

Thanks to Iger, the name "Disney" includes everything from Pixar/ABC/ESPN/StarWars/Marvel/Fox/Hulu/NatGeo too.
It was big in 2005...it was just run a different way. Their goals and priorities still had a bridge to the past...which was sometimes a good and sometimes a bad thing...

It hasn’t been run that way at all since.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Right now? No. It would be fiscally irresponsible to take on a new project without knowing how long the current situation is.

But once the current situation ends, there is no financial reason not to go ahead with a project they announced. It just means other projects that haven't been announced yet drop back in the queue.

So, before there's a replacement for SGE, Primeval Whirl, JII, the DHS 'black box', etc... Then the SM revamp will take place.
I absolutely think nothing will change that now. Splash Mountain is going away. If they don’t want to spend too much on a retheme...they simply won’t.

J4546

I think the fox deal was good l, and I really think one of the biggest parts of that deal was Star India. Star India reaches 600+ million people in 100 countries broadcast in a bunch of languages something like 9/10 households with cable in india have star. Combined with HotStar, their streaming platform which is like netflix, I think they are gonna reach a huge new audience. This is an investment that could really payoff in a a few years.

I wonder if Bollywood and other foreign stuff will start being put up on Hulu because of this? There are some insane Indian super hero movies lol

Mac Tonight

It was big in 2005...it was just run a different way. Their goals and priorities still had a bridge to the past...which was sometimes a good and sometimes a bad thing...

It hasn’t been run that way at all since.
That’s probably the best way to describe it... having a bridge to the past.

Modern Disney almost treats Walt like some mythical “legendary” figure, instead of the company’s founder. I’d be shocked if Chapek saw more in him than just being one half of the Partners Statue in the Parks.

rowrbazzle

FYI, self-admission block outs have been lifted at AK, MK and Epcot thru Thursday. CM's can now check for reservations. So while not a fully, rolling week in advance yet, CMs should get in the habit of checking to see if the next week has opened up, if they are wanting to go. Not sure how much impact it will have as long as sign-ins are still blocked. Full-timers would want to bring their families, I imagine.

Was that today too? I looked at the app and wait times were a good bit higher than what I'd seen before.

GoneViral

I can definitely see them putting more shows on Disney+. But they didn't charge extra for Hamilton, and that's one of the biggest Broadway shows of all time. Seems like that would have been the place to float an extra payment for a stage show.

Of course, charging for the newest Pixar movie would have made more sense than charging for Mulan, so those were likely just attempts to get more subscribers to boost numbers while the parks were shut down.

See, I think that the success of Hamilton is what will cause them to explore this idea. Hamilton has apparently overperformed relative to expectations. I'm guessing that opens the door for other Disney musicals to play this way, although it's just as possible that Disney+ has them on the basic service instead.

BroadwayHD has previously indicated that filming can cost anywhere between $2-$4 million. So, that's an extremely low price for content in the current market.

BTW, I hadn't believed the rumors about Soul skipping video right up until Chapek said that. Now, I fully believe that Soul comes out with the same release pattern as Mulan.

MonorailCoral

• Magic Kingdom – 9am to 6pm (previously closed at 7pm)
  • EPCOT – 11am to 7pm (previously closed at 9pm)
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios – 10am to 7pm (previously closed at 8pm)
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom – 9am to 5pm (previously closed at 6pm)
There is something seriously wrong when DHS is open longer than EPCOT.

Then again, they had already killed morning EPCOT for me years ago when they killed off the Breakfast Panini sandwich at The Land. :devilish:

Mahoc1970

You need to take some
I think the fox deal was good l, and I really think one of the biggest parts of that deal was Star India. Star India reaches 600+ million people in 100 countries broadcast in a bunch of languages something like 9/10 households with cable in india have star. Combined with HotStar, their streaming platform which is like netflix, I think they are gonna reach a huge new audience. This is an investment that could really payoff in a a few years.

I wonder if Bollywood and other foreign stuff will start being put up on Hulu because of this? There are some insane Indian super hero movies lol

you need to take a course in business. This was a poor decision. Publix now makes more money than Disney. If they had invested in that company they would be profitable. These mega accusations often fail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom