On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

TheMagus

Leaders at WDW have started calling furloughed O&T Cast, with the message that they do not know when they will be called back, and that they should consider looking for other jobs. If they do so, will Disney continue to pay their medical benefits? If a person does get another job, but does not tell the Company, how would they know?

It is a strange message. On the one hand, it is very honest, but it also seems like an attempt to avoid a layoff- if people just find other jobs, no layoff is needed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Leaders at WDW have started calling furloughed O&T Cast, with the message that they do not know when they will be called back, and that they should consider looking for other jobs. If they do so, will Disney continue to pay their medical benefits? If a person does get another job, but does not tell the Company, how would they know?

It is a strange message. On the one hand, it is very honest, but it also seems like an attempt to avoid a layoff- if people just find other jobs, no layoff is needed.
If true...that’s super sad...if not at all unexpected 😔

And the point of that is to get people off the benefits without a lay-off...because Disney May be limited on that front.

Last edited:

pheneix

Original Poster
I think the fox deal was good l, and I really think one of the biggest parts of that deal was Star India. Star India reaches 600+ million people in 100 countries broadcast in a bunch of languages something like 9/10 households with cable in india have star. Combined with HotStar, their streaming platform which is like netflix, I think they are gonna reach a huge new audience. This is an investment that could really payoff in a a few years.

I wonder if Bollywood and other foreign stuff will start being put up on Hulu because of this? There are some insane Indian super hero movies lol

KRRISH!!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
you need to take a course in business. This was a poor decision. Publix now makes more money than Disney. If they had invested in that company they would be profitable. These mega accusations often fail.

It is not surprising that an essential business that was open throughout the lockdowns made more money than a business that relies on entertainment, which had to close most of its business.

By your measure of wise stewardship of a business, then Publix is smarter than all movie companies, theatrical companies, gyms, salons, retail stores, and movie theater chains.

Because Disney's portfolio contained long-established TV channels, it's operating segments as a whole pretty much broke even. And it has access to a $40 Billion nest egg to get it through this type of business disruption or recession.

Stocks are up for DIS. Apparently people who have taken courses in business think Disney's fine financially and is poised for a big comeback.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is not surprising that an essential business that was open throughout the lockdowns made more money than a business that relies on entertainment, which had to close most of its business.

By your measure of wise stewardship of a business, then Publix is smarter than all movie companies, theatrical companies, gyms, salons, retail stores, and movie theater chains.

Because Disney's portfolio contained long-established TV channels, it's operating segments as a whole pretty much broke even. And it has access to a $40 Billion nest egg to get it through this type of business disruption or recession.

Stocks are up for DIS. Apparently people who have taken courses in business think Disney's fine financially and is poised for a big comeback.
You had me till the end. Stocks are of no reflection of the conduct of a companies business anymore. It’s speculative. If there was ever any doubt of that before...covid has ended it.

Not judging the system...that’s the game. I just can’t supoort that Disney’s stock prices is a reflection of their management. The only outlier is a disaster/precipitous fall into bankruptcy.

wdw71fan

We have a lot of people in this country that weigh in on things that they know nothing about.. It happening regarding disneys future doesn't surprise me one bit..

Disney will be fine, WDW will be fine.. We'll be off this reservations system before you know it. Ever ask yourself why the system isn't intergrated into the My Disney Experience APP?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We have a lot of people in this country that weigh in on things that they know nothing about.. It happening regarding disneys future doesn't surprise me one bit..

Disney will be fine, WDW will be fine.. We'll be off this reservations system before you know it. Ever ask yourself why the system isn't intergrated into the My Disney Experience APP?

Hastily thrown together kludge and no time to port it to the two extra operating systems of Android and iOS?

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

If the boys on Wall Street thought DIS was in trouble, that stock would have headed in the other direction.

JoeCamel

If the boys on Wall Street thought DIS was in trouble, that stock would have headed in the other direction.
But right now I can't give what the boys on wall street think any credence. They are playing a short term game quarter to quarter. No regard for the long term prospects of the company. Once the printing presses started running everyone in the market just stopped looking at fundamentals and are riding the wave of loose money. Give it a couple of months for reality to sink in and you will see the valuation adjusted. Of course - IMO

UNCgolf

See, I think that the success of Hamilton is what will cause them to explore this idea. Hamilton has apparently overperformed relative to expectations. I'm guessing that opens the door for other Disney musicals to play this way, although it's just as possible that Disney+ has them on the basic service instead.

BroadwayHD has previously indicated that filming can cost anywhere between $2-$4 million. So, that's an extremely low price for content in the current market.

BTW, I hadn't believed the rumors about Soul skipping video right up until Chapek said that. Now, I fully believe that Soul comes out with the same release pattern as Mulan.

That's what I'd expect -- to see them on the basic service.

There aren't any other Broadway shows they can put on Disney+ that will perform as well as Hamilton. I'm sure stuff like Frozen and the Lion King would do well, but they're not cultural phenomenons the way Hamilton is.

HauntedMansionFLA

I’m sorry but what is O & T? Operations and training?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Which system?

Who’s on first?
Hastily thrown together kludge and no time to port it two the two extra operating systems of Android and iOS?

Winner winner 🐓 dinner

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom