On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

eliza61nyc

Taxpayers don't get stuck with unpaid medical debt. People with health insurance do. Anyone who has health insurance is subsidizing the uninsured, which is one of the issues Obamacare was trying to fix (not very successfully, but at least the effort was made).
And baby it's going to be interesting the next few years. I've seen a few bill people got who were hospitalized for COVID 😵🤯😵

EPCOT-O.G.

I came to this thread for the news on the near term (and longer term) effects that the shutdown and Iger's managerial decisions have had on TWDC, but instead have had my burgeoning dreams of a post-retirement career at WDW in some "fun" capacity dashed as - based on these postings - many of us would rather not see how the Happiest Sausage on Earth is really and truly made.

Also, learned that this is a great network to tap into next time I have to buy a car.

bryanfze55

Lol
The iPhone is now the "defacto" bad guy for everyone who is having a hard time.

Lol homeless?? It's because you have an iPhone
Medical bills?? It's because you have an iPhone.

Every problem is caused by the person having an iPhone

Frugality is certainly a virtue, but it’s also become a cult. It’s extremely common amongst my generation that grew up in the shadow of the 2008 crash and particularly in my line of work (accounting/finance). You’re correct, if someone is struggling, the first two things that they bring up are “takeout coffee” and “smartphones.” As though these are the cause of all social ills.

These people love Dave Ramsey, think all debt is bad, and aspire to live on shoestring budgets. Dislikes include new cars (never allowed), Starbucks, and the suburbs. Of course travel is still allowed since that’s not consumption... it’s an “experience that makes you cultured.” I mean, how could anyone ever be truly cultured until they can post a picture on Instagram of themselves holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa with their bare hand? Well, forgo the iPhone and the coffee long enough, and you can be cultured too!

Again, I have no issues with frugality. The Greatest Generation was frugal. They didn’t shout it out loud, though - they just lived it. But Dave Ramsey (and his contemporaries), as well as social media, have changed the landscape. Now it’s all about shaming people for their bad decisions.

NelsonRD

You even said in your situation it was about moving UP... better living, better pay, etc.

If you are at the bottom as everyone loves to point out about Orlando -- you can go almost anywhere, do the same thing and be better off. No one is charging fees to relocate. If you work a job you struggle to even make minimum wage at after fees and crap hours... it doesn't take much to find a basic job that pays better. You don't need a university job to get out of a $9/hr CM job. You can work at freaking target anywhere in this country and do better.

Most people are just too scared to pickup and leave. People are working at the worst job -- but act like nothing better can be found. If you are working such a horrible job - it's the EASIEST to walk away from and find something better.

You are missing the most important factor in relocating. The purpose of relocating is to align your skills and interest, with an employer seeking that skill. Those who work minimum wage jobs, that do not have the skills to do something else that pays more, will not find success in another location. People who relocate with your theory, only find themselves working the same jobs, in a different environment, without climbing the social stratification ladder. Cast Members moving from FL to take a similar job somewhere else is not going to create wealth.

You are better off not relocating, working the same job and climbing the corporate ladder. Starting in the mail room as they say. Then with the training and advancement, better opportunity can exist. Take advantage of opportunity announcements, and learn from rejection. Staying at the same job long enough will get you promoted. Moving may not make you happier, and playing basketball doesn't make you tall. Please stop spreading this idea that you can just move and everything will be better.

UNCgolf

You are missing the most important factor in relocating. The purpose of relocating is to align your skills and interest, with an employer seeking that skill. Those who work minimum wage jobs, that do not have the skills to do something else that pays more, will not find success in another location. People who relocate with your theory, only find themselves working the same jobs, in a different environment, without climbing the social stratification ladder. Cast Members moving from FL to take a similar job somewhere else is not going to create wealth.

You are better off not relocating, working the same job and climbing the corporate ladder. Starting in the mail room as they say. Then with the training and advancement, better opportunity can exist. Take advantage of opportunity announcements, and learn from rejection. Staying at the same job long enough will get you promoted. Moving may not make you happier, and playing basketball doesn't make you tall. Please stop spreading this idea that you can just move and everything will be better.

I was going to say something similar, but I'll just add this.

If you don't either already have a job lined up or some contacts in your new location that can help you find one (and also provide a potential safety net), moving is likely a terrible decision both financially and mentally. That's not to say it doesn't work out for some people -- and for some (especially young) people, it's just a fun adventure -- but it's probably not the right thing to do for the majority of people in that situation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Relocation isn't only about money (although that's a big part of it).

It's hard for some people to understand because they're just wired differently (and view it as a fun adventure, or as no big deal, or whatever), but moving to a totally new place away from everything and everyone you know is an absolutely monumental task for some people. It can be more stressful than anything related to money and cause serious depression, etc.

I get that... but again... if you want to change your situation - it requires change and you to do it :) I'm not saying people need to be fully solo - but that isn't a reason not to do things either. A support network is always helpful.

We were just talking about this topic this week as I was visiting friends where I grew up. They get the luxury of everyone who runs all the local businesses now are the people they grew up with... went to school with... maybe are distant cousins.. or whatever. When I left at 18, I went to a school with zero people from my school. I went home my first summer, and since then have always lived some where new based on our work requirements. There has never been family near by to help with my kids... there never has been any network of existing people... I have to deal with every business as a new customer or simple referral. No comfort factor at all. I do miss that bit when my buddy says "oh my cousin does HVAC..." where I'm struggling to find trustworthy contractors. Or when my younger cousins all have their parents watch their kids 4 days a week, etc.

I don't regret leaving the nest at all... nor where my multiple moves have landed me in the long run. I made new friends, etc. And years back I recognized I've lived out of the state I consider my 'home state' longer than I've actually lived there. I've known current friends longer than any friends I had growing up, etc.

Change is hard. But change can be good too. Especially if you are in a situation where you think there is no prospects for the future. You only live once... don't waste it in a rut with no future.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disagree with someone and then to report, that's sad...
It’s not “disagreement”...I’ll wear the war helmet on that for ANY subject...

...it’s that it’s going to that line where we get straight to politicos and it spoils the whole cow...not just the milk.

This is me being “reserved” about money, labor, the social service net, and society. 😁

GeneralKnowledge

One of my summer jobs the candy store owners prided themselves on making people count change back rather than using the register to tell you the change needed. I bet they had to give that up too...
That sounds like my popcorn business. We’ve prided ourselves on doing exactly that for decades. We finally gave it up last summer and switched to an automated POS system. The quality of the math education in our local school system is appalling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom