On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Going to school you cant afford counts just as much as me getting an AP on oayment plans🤣🤣

Hardly. One is an investment into being more competitive in the workplace, and the ability to earn more.

The other is a luxury item that isn't needed but is nice to have.

Lilofan

That's a fair point. I'd replace the federal minimum wage with legislation mandating a mandatory living wage based off of your MSA's living wage.

You'd have places where $7.25/hr is the minimum, and you'll have places where $25/hr is the minimum.
Please advise where it is $25 per hour to a start.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's a huge word salad to essentially say 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps'. Which is another way of saying 'my unique situation worked for me, so clearly it will also work for you'.

Or one could respond - "I tried to do something about my situation, did you?"

Not everyone will succeed - but if they can't even show how they tried...

Frankly I'm bored of all the "orlando wages suck" -- then why the hell are [you] still there? It's 'woe is me' talk. Do something about it..

Lilofan

It's not they don't have any intention it's that they can't.
Last month rush #2 minion to the ER because he had difficulties breathing. Thank God it turned out to be something call a tonsil stone that broke off and was lodge in his throat. Even with supposedly great BC/BS insurance he owes a couple of grand. Now with an entry level job, student loan, rent etc. Nope that bill ain't getting paid. And I don't have a problem with that. Health care in this country is a cluster$& but that's a whole nother debate
More thinking like that - ain't getting paid is one of the reasons why our country is screwed.

mkt

Premium Member
Florida’s wages as a whole are subpar. Hospitality employees in Tampa don’t make any more than hospitality employees in Orlando; there’s just more of them in Orlando.

I’m not sure why, but employees in the Sun Belt are just paid lower on average. I live in the Midwest, low cost of living metro, and the wages here are even significantly higher... I guess because nobody wants to live here?

Even Miami's, which is weird since it's Florida's "world class city" it's largest and most expensive metro area, and the largest engine for Florida's economy.

You generally will earn more in Miami, but what the market will pay in Miami a lot of times also includes unscrupulous employers paying minimum wage to professionals from Venezuela who are desperate for a US visa.

I interviewed for UI/UX and front end developer positions in Miami several years ago in preparations for my previous layoff, and they wanted to pay $8.56/hr. Their excuse was "that's what the market supports", and after speaking with a headhunter friend, she explained that they're doing that on purpose to game the system and bring in a developer from Venezuela that's desperate to get out.

Please advise where it is $25 per hour to a start.

It was meant to be a theoretical exercise. However, using my proposed MSA exercise, likely the San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley MSA, NYC MSA, Greater Boston MSA, and Washington MSA. You know, the really expensive cities to live in.

eliza61nyc

More thinking like that - ain't getting paid is one of the reasons why our country is screwed.
Maybe but you just mentioned "truth". Lol well the truth is if I have to choose between food and doctors bill the food is going to win all day, every day and twice on Sunday.
The "Truth" is even with great insurance health care is lousy and expensive that FORCES a person to make these choices
Lol Do you really think anyone coming out of the hospital after surviving covid is going to be able to pay that bill?? Yeah I do know someone so if this country is screwed it's because it treats the majority of it's citizen as a disposable afterthought.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Maybe but you just mentioned "truth". Lol well the truth is if I have to choose between food and doctors bill the food is going to win all day, every day and twice on Sunday.
The "Truth" is even with great insurance health care is lousy and expensive that FORCES a person to make these choices
I would figure in a payment plan to pay off my debt but some choose to walk away and refuse to pay the bill. Taxpayers get stuck with it. - Truth

BigThunderMatt

Frankly I'm bored of all the "orlando wages suck" -- then why the hell are [you] still there? It's 'woe is me' talk. Do something about it..

It's not that easy. Refer back to the post describing the circumstances on how I got out of there. Until you've actually lived it for nearly a decade, you really just have no room to have an informed opinion on the matter.

Frankly I'm bored of all the armchair economists sitting here telling all the people in this position how easy it is to get out when they've never had to actually live the cast member struggle. It's very clear that if you ever have, you would not have the unwarranted attitude that you do.

mkt

Premium Member
I would figure in a payment plan to pay off my debt but some choose to walk away and refuse to pay the bill. Taxpayers get stuck with it. - Truth

When you're looking at an amount that's impossible for that individual to pay, no criminal consequences, and an overwhelmingly disorganized debt collection industry... I can't say I blame them for walking away, or at least hiding out until the statute of limitations is over.

Tom Morrow

Watch the Florida Project starring Willem Dafoe. It's at WDW and Celebration's doorstep.
The Florida Project is kind of garbage for a few reasons:

1. It presents this as a widespread problem across Orlando and not just fringe instances at a few motels on 192, which is the truth.
2. The kids are the main character, but the main kid's mother is portrayed as a deadbeat drug addict who refuses to get a job, which is dishonest to the people actually in this situation. Yes, there might be some, but most are in this situation as the result of low wages in Orlando, which Disney is a driving force behind. At the same time the movie heavily implies, but doesn't outright state that:
3. Disney = Evil, but then still presents Disney in a positive light at the end of the film anyway.

The result is a dishonest film without a clear statement that becomes yet another piece that exists so people can nudge each other and go "boy, Florida sure sucks!" and "haha, Disney is evil!" which are two tired viewpoints. It does present the magic of childhood innocence well, though.

A more honest film I'd like to see is the amount of 20 and even 30 somethings living as roommates all working for the parks full time because none can afford to live on their own.

mkt

Premium Member
3. Disney = Evil, but then still presents Disney in a positive light at the end of the film anyway.

I find it more akin to the duality of Orlando's relationship with the mouse. They hate what it did to the city, but they love going to play in the parks.

A more honest film I'd like to see is the amount of 20 and even 30 somethings living as roommates all working for the parks full time because none can afford to live on their own.

And 40 and 50 somethings as well.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's not that easy. Refer back to the post describing the circumstances on how I got out of there. Until you've actually lived it for nearly a decade, you really just have no room to have an informed opinion on the matter.

Yes, if it took someone a decade to get out of a bad situation - I'd say the problem is not an external one.

Frankly I'm bored of all the armchair economists sitting here telling all the people in this position how easy it is to get out when they've never had to actually live the cast member struggle. It's very clear that if you ever have, you would not have the unwarranted attitude that you do.

That's just tears in my beer. If you one of the folks walking around with an $800 iphone in their pocket and crying about how they can't afford to leave, I'd say they just don't know how to make the sacrifices to do it. If it's so bad being a cast member, why the hell do people keep at it? Work somewhere who doesn't demand 100% access over your week, so you can work two jobs and get the hours you need. Stop spending on non-essentials and save towards that relocation stash. Research where you want to go to start over. Know what you need to make it happen. Set yourself up for success by understanding what you need to function and find work in that new place.

If you are working and struggling to clear $200 a week - you don't have a high bar to find a better situation. Seriously.. you can walk into a Sheetz here and make $12/hr with no background except don't be a @$%head.

It's tough when you are in the hole, or don't have reliable basic necessities like transportation. Transportation IMO is the biggest 'how can anyone afford living' wildcards. But when people are wearing apple watches, sporting iphone11s, fancy sunglasses, etc... and don't have a plan on what they are doing about changing their situation. Don't cry to me about how tough it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom