On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

flynnibus

Premium Member
You are missing the most important factor in relocating. The purpose of relocating is to align your skills and interest, with an employer seeking that skill. Those who work minimum wage jobs, that do not have the skills to do something else that pays more, will not find success in another location.

This entire discussion was about people working for Disney stuck in the rut. Typically the low wage, hourly workers. If you are only making like $10-11 an hour... you can go hundreds of places and find walk up jobs making that kind of pay.

The whole point is.. if you are at the bottom as so many claim orlando+disney is for pay and COLA.. then almost anywhere else is an improvement. You don't need to 'align skils and interest' when any entry level job will be a huge improvement over your current situation. Work hospitality? There are hotels everywere... Work retail? Same.

The idea that Orlando is the only place you can find work is bunkus.

People who relocate with your theory, only find themselves working the same jobs, in a different environment, without climbing the social stratification ladder. Cast Members moving from FL to take a similar job somewhere else is not going to create wealth.

You are better off not relocating, working the same job and climbing the corporate ladder.

This is exactly what people are saying YOU CAN NOT DO at Disney - it's the false dream that so many think 'if they just stick it out' they can make it through the low years. But there is no 'high years' at Disney. You climb to be the hotel AGM and you still get crap pay, living in a expensive place. All while the people do get promoted aren't the best.. and the work culture is toxic. You're preaching right into the false dream every person who has left Disney has called out as 'never going to happen... and it took me too long to realize it'

Or you leave... work your way up in another hotel, live in nicer place, cheaper, and ultimately make more money when you've climbed that ladder.

I'm not preaching a 'grass is greener... move' thing. I'm saying if you live in the worst of the worst... LEAVE.

Please stop spreading this idea that you can just move and everything will be better.

So you believe if you work in a company that doesn't treat its employees with respect, doesn't pay well, festers horrible manager/subordinate relationships, measures performance in ways that dehumanize people, promotes the boot lickers, and is pretty much respected as a toxic place towards workers... If you just tough it out.. it will get better?

Why insist on wasting your years on an environment that will not pay off - when literally there are thousands of alternatives where you do stand a fighting chance?

Why are people insistent in staying in an abusive relationship? Because they think its the only thing they can do...

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you don't either already have a job lined up or some contacts in your new location that can help you find one (and also provide a potential safety net), moving is likely a terrible decision both financially and mentally.

We're talking about people making <$15/hr and being miserable doing it. The bar to measure improvement is not high. Literally you can walk into most national chains and get a job paying >$10/hr with zero background.

We're not talking about the upper tier management who needs to find a perfect fit. We're talking about people working hourly hoping the company will give them 30hrs and pay them $12/hr while giving the company exclusive access to their schedule.

I can walk you into an ocean resort town anywhere on the coast and you can make $200/night as a waiter... and because all the J-1 workers couldn't come this summer - everyone is super desperate for workers. Make and save more money in 4 months at a resort than people living miserable in Orlando crying woe is me for years on end. And probably have more fun...

Heppenheimer

Oh do tell...

Are you saying defined “non-profit”...or companies that “clear no profit”...that’s a tomato/watermelon comparison...
The "non-profit" sector as defined by section 501(c). They can make money, or lose it, just like any other business, they don't distribute profits to shareholders or owners.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Lol I wonder though if I get the apple watch as a Christmas gift and then lose my job and health insurance, and get in a bind is it still because I have an I watch??

If you got it as a gift - then you could sell it and pay your bills.. instead of complaining how I can't afford my bills.

Heppenheimer

If one ever drives on I-95 Northbound / Southbound by the NC/SC border , the interstate billboards say

Pedro says .. You never sausage a place! - South of the Border
I think everyone from the Northeast who regularly visited Disney World make the mistake of stopping there at least once.

donaldtoo

I came to this thread for the news on the near term (and longer term) effects that the shutdown and Iger's managerial decisions have had on TWDC, but instead have had my burgeoning dreams of a post-retirement career at WDW in some "fun" capacity dashed as - based on these postings - many of us would rather not see how the Happiest Sausage on Earth is really and truly made.

Also, learned that this is a great network to tap into next time I have to buy a car.

I’ve never worked in the Parks/Resorts, but, I did work for our local mall Disney Store (closed for a few years now) from 08/16/09-10/17/13, during the last recession. I was a Lead Manager for over a year of that time, so I got to see that side of it too.
I was laid off from the architectural firm I worked for, but, fortunately, have been back with them for over 7 years now.
I would never work for TWDC in any capacity ever again. I wish I’d taken notes to write a book...!!!!! :cautious::hilarious:
Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t horrible, but, along with my DS job, I worked as many as 2 other retail jobs at a time (Batteries+, Kay Jewelers, a local men’s clothing store, a seasonal Go! Calendars, Toys & Games store), and there was never the amount of “fun” as there was at DS...paint chipping off product as we were processing it during shipment (recalled and destroyed in the crusher out back), children’s beach-type chairs that were collapsing and pinching kiddos (recalled and destroyed in the crusher out back), etc., etc., etc.
Crazy metrics, CM drama, Guest misbehavior, on and on.
At one point, My SM asked me if I wanted to move up to an open ASM position. When we got to the part about pay regarding the added responsibility, if I hadn’t been such good friends with her, I woulda’ laughed in her face. Not her fault, but, Pathetic.
Regardless, I worked my tail off doin’ the best job I could while I was there. Used to hafta’ regularly monitor my time as not to go over 40 hrs. because I took other CMs shifts when I could, makin’ sure I always had a “Magical” attitude On Stage, makin’ sure the Guests were well taken care of, etc. No Guest ever got even the tiniest bit of snark from me.
A lot of stuff I can’t/won’t post about.
Definitely a learning experience, and one I wouldn’t trade for anything, but, never again.
Have been plenty happy experiencing Disney as only a Guest since...!!! :)

eliza61nyc

If you got it as a gift - then you could sell it and pay your bills.. instead of complaining how I can't afford my bills.
Oh wow, never thought about that. ,😂 Yeah, that 200 will make a dent.
I get your point though as simplistic as it is. I'm sure there are 1000s of folks who lost their jobs due to covid that are hoping their cellphones will keep them from losing their homes🙄

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh wow, never thought about that. ,😂 Yeah, that 200 will make a dent.
I get your point though as simplistic as it is. I'm sure there are 1000s of folks who lost their jobs due to covid that are hoping their cellphones will keep them from losing their homes🙄

That's probably 1/4 a security deposit needed to secure a new place... But no... I can't afford to do anything but sit in place... *tears*

eliza61nyc

That's probably 1/4 a security deposit needed to secure a new place... But no... I can't afford to do anything but sit in place... *tears*
??? Not meaning to be sarcastic but "and"??
So real life scenario. Here in Philly we had an eviction moratorium that expires in two weeks.
Bunch of folks are in deep you know what because they lost their jobs. Average rent here is 1700 bucks. My son's just got a new apartment needed 1st, last and 1 month security deposit. Let's see 1700 times 3 is what 5K and you really are going to throw the asinine argument that selling a used apple watch will solve the problem 😂😬😁. OMG. You are clueless

Heppenheimer

This thread is interesting because it really sheds light on a decision I made over 25 years ago. Like most here, I grew up in awe of Disney World. Our family trips every few years from the 70s through to the early 90s are some of my happiest memories growing up. The last trip we took together as a family was after my freshman year at university. I enjoyed this trip just as much as the others, but being 19, lets just say I was now noticing some of the prettier young female cast members much more than on prior visits. After striking up a conversation with a monorail attendant whose university was in the same state as mine, I learned about the Disney college program. I thought that would be a really fun way to spend the summer with a huge cohort around my same age and make some money for the following school year.

My first inkling that maybe this wouldn't be a great choice was that my university did not participate in the program. When I received the application in the mail, I then realized that I would need to miss a significant amount of school, the salary was really low, and I would lose a significant portion of my salary on lodging, since my home state was Pennsylvania. There was a good chance that I might barely break even. All for a summer job that provided no relevant experience for my desired career. So, the Disney dream died very quickly and definitively for me that day. The application went into the garbage, I didn't miss any school, and I took a decent-paying summer job close to home. 25 years later and I'm doing very well in my desired profession.

I kind of wonder... is that how it starts for most cast members? If I had filled out that application, and attended the Disney seminar at a nearby university, would I have been one of those sitting in a shared Orlando apartment, dreading a phone call from HR that my services were no longer necessary?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
poor life decisions

Plot twist.

I rent a house for less than what a mortgage + HOA + insurance + property taxes costs in this neighborhood, and I've got a fully grown fruit-bearing avocado tree in the backyard.... and a telescoping fruit basket in my shed. Also got a mango tree, but those aren't really for toast. Those are for snacks and delicious smoothies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom