On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

disneyflush

People should stop looking at the current crisis through the lens of 'if they can get through this temporary lull because of COVID they'll be back to the 'before times'.' The absolute best-case scenario is that things return to normal and COVID gets a therapeutic that addresses the virus and ends it if caught. Are the odds like 5% of that happening? Feels like people are assuming like 95% probability of that happening which isn't realistic. There are a ton of varying scenarios ranging from worst-case all the way up to best-case where things are definitely not returning to non-mask, no restrictions, no attendance caps, etc. A fix would certainly be to lower the rack rate on rooms but DVC can't allow that to happen because the math behind the new contracts and contracts of the last few years would instantly break the sales pitch and upset your member base. The bending they've done to push food prices, room prices, ticket prices through the roof for 15 years puts them in a situation they likely won't surrender from anytime soon.

GSP Guy

My “thought” is if the yutz at the top had just shut up and gotten inline from the start...you’d be a lot closer to normalcy right now.

(You’re not the “yutz”...to be clear)
I absolutely would be having a normal year. You are 100% correct. Which would be just fine with me as I've been in the game a while and I'm well established thankfully. I believe the masks requirement and other restrictions at other tourists destinations such as Disney has turned much of those vacationers to people like myself. That's all I was really trying to add to the conversation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I once owned a tundra...you could flip that think over and it would still run.

That being said, Ford trucks are the best selling over 40 years for a reason. I have several with over 200,000 miles.
Trucks are a different animal.

But to be fair...the quality of gm and ford in their cars has risen substantially since the awful end of the 20th century. Much better now.

I mean...I’m still getting a Toyota or a Honda next month...but still.

Dodge still sucks

ImperfectPixie

Trucks are a different animal.

But to be fair...the quality of gm and ford in their cars has risen substantially since the awful end of the 20th century. Much better now.

I mean...I’m still getting a Toyota or a Honda next month...but still.

Dodge still sucks
I have a 2002 Ford pickup...4x4, supercab, 6' bed...gonna drive it until the wheels fall off (it's got just under 200,000 miles on it). My dad had a mid-1970s Ford pickup...much less loaded than mine...and that thing could not be killed. Last I knew, it was in New Hampshire on a working farm.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Can you link that post? I missed it.

In summary: the AA community shows the strongest longterm brand loyalty/product sensitivity of any demographic. Based on market studies.

So ridding an IP that isn’t popular due to perception and replacing with one that strengthens the focus/bond makes all the sense in the world.

Splash is an acceptable sacrifice from Disney’s perspective.

GSP Guy

My “thought” is if the yutz at the top had just shut up and gotten inline from the start...you’d be a lot closer to normalcy right now.

(You’re not the “yutz”...to be clear)
I would like to add that "normalcy" is very very key to remember. I'm seeing younger/newer competitors in my industry falling into the trap of believing their newfound popularity is a permanent fixture of things to come. Purchasing 60-70K trucks, all kinds of new toys and gadgets. I've tried to explain the difference between reinvesting in your business and irresponsible spending to some that I have relationships with but it falls on deaf ears. Once the big players like Disney, Universal, etc. get it back together we will return to reality with the exception of just a few new loyal clients.

TeriofTerror

I think some of y'all need to get over your mask hangups. Haven't you heard? Masks are the new mouse ears! #ExpressYourself #EmbraceTheMask 😉
20200730_113557.jpg

Nubs70

Exactly. We live just over an hour away. AP holders. At least once a month visitors. As long as a mask is required , we aren't going. We have Beach Club ressies at the end of September. If the mask is still required, we will cancel.
At work the other day, its about 105F and 95% humidity. All of a sudden, my mask saturated and it was like breathing through a wet sock.

mikejs78

Premium Member
People should stop looking at the current crisis through the lens of 'if they can get through this temporary lull because of COVID they'll be back to the 'before times'.' The absolute best-case scenario is that things return to normal and COVID gets a therapeutic that addresses the virus and ends it if caught. Are the odds like 5% of that happening? Feels like people are assuming like 95% probability of that happening which isn't realistic. There are a ton of varying scenarios ranging from worst-case all the way up to best-case where things are definitely not returning to non-mask, no restrictions, no attendance caps, etc. A fix would certainly be to lower the rack rate on rooms but DVC can't allow that to happen because the math behind the new contracts and contracts of the last few years would instantly break the sales pitch and upset your member base. The bending they've done to push food prices, room prices, ticket prices through the roof for 15 years puts them in a situation they likely won't surrender from anytime soon.

Best case is a vaccine. I'd put probability of that happening by early next year at 50% based on the results of the clinical trials thus far. Higher probability as time goes on.

Second best is a theraputic, like you said. Based on what we are seeing in trial results, I think there's a very high likelihood of a therapy widely available by year's end.

Anything can happen of course, and sometimes things don't work the way you expect, but I think the odds are greater that we will have theraputics and/or vaccine in the next 6 months than not. We already have one that reduces death by a third in severe patients. This is the first time in history we've had all the scientific and medical research resources in the world pointed at a single problem, and the novel coronavirus has some unique properties that make treatments somewhat likely.

DVCakaCarlF

I have a 2002 Ford pickup...4x4, supercab, 6' bed...gonna drive it until the wheels fall off (it's got just under 200,000 miles on it). My dad had a mid-1970s Ford pickup...much less loaded than mine...and that thing could not be killed. Last I knew, it was in New Hampshire on a working farm.
We have a 97 Ford Super Duty at work with over 400,000 miles on it with an original 7.3 diesel...I’ve had several people ask me to buy it.

Nope, it keeps making money.

culturenthrills

Since we're dealing in anecdotal evidence, I know multiple people who canceled trips, not because they had to wear a mask, but because their states required a 14-day quarantine after visiting any hot spot state. it's that fact that's keeping tourism down to the levels that they are, not the fact that everyone has to wear flipping mask. I'm sure the mask had something to do with it for some people, but it's not by any means the only reason.
Yep, NY, NJ, CT are huge markets for Disney World and all for those states require a 2 Week quarantine if you come here. If I was Disney I would be ed at the Governor and state government in Florida for their completely incompetent response to the Coronavirus.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At work the other day, its about 105F and 95% humidity. All of a sudden, my mask saturated and it was like breathing through a wet sock.
That was my original “this won’t work” take. It’s not the place for that.

But even I thought the virus would be under control before talk would take over from thought.

I never learned the lesson of Atlantic City 🎡🎠
Best case is a vaccine. I'd put probability of that happening by early next year at 50% based on the results of the clinical trials thus far. Higher probability as time goes on.

Second best is a theraputic, like you said. Based on what we are seeing in trial results, I think there's a very high likelihood of a therapy widely available by year's end.

Anything can happen of course, and sometimes things don't work the way you expect, but I think the odds are greater that we will have theraputics and/or vaccine in the next 6 months than not. We already have one that reduces death by a third in severe patients. This is the first time in history we've had all the scientific and medical research resources in the world pointed at a single problem, and the novel coronavirus has some unique properties that make treatments somewhat likely.
The best case for AMERICANS is a vaccine. Because it asks them to do nothing they don’t want to do except the pinch.

Until there is one...in which case people will revolt/protest 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom