On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

brb1006

Hated that movie...preferred the claymation.
UnitedPhonyHummingbird-size_restricted.gif

oceanbreeze77

Do theme park cm furloughs work like other furloughs where they bring you back in seniority order?

or is disney doing a flat out layoff---no coming back

Piebald

Tokyo Disneyland is the supreme example apparently of how to run the Disney parks. The CM's do so much extra and the maintenance is superb.

Maybe Disney needs to fly out and meet with OLC for a lesson on how to upkeep a theme park.
As beautiful as the resort is and how well run it is, the Japanese culture is a huge factor into the success of TDR. They could never duplicate that.

I can never speak highly enough of TDR. It's like eating at Chilis every week (WDW) and then one week going to a really really expensive steakhouse and splurging on lobster tails and getting oscar style (TDR)

ToTBellHop

As beautiful as the resort is and how well run it is, the Japanese culture is a huge factor into the success of TDR. They could never duplicate that.

I can never speak highly enough of TDR. It's like eating at Chilis every week (WDW) and then one week going to a really really expensive steakhouse and splurging on lobster tails and getting oscar style (TDR)
If WDW is Chili’s, what is Sea World?

NelsonRD

As I read over this thread, and kept thinking to myself about the uncertainty of the recovery of the parks. One year stands out for us. My family has been going to Disney since early 2000's. We experienced the changes from 9/11 and 2009, but the worst year in our memory was 2006. We noticed the parks in poor condition. Garbage piled in monorail stations (especially the Epcot station, in the track), and I recall being told at Disney Quest that they had hired high school kids that year. Everything was poor the 2 times we visited that year. Does 2006 have any significance to correlate with our experiences? Or was it just anomaly?

MerlinTheGoat

I haven't been to Sea World since the 90s, is the general park upkeep trash there? I know they don't have elaborate Disney quality attractions, but that isn't necessarily correlated with having poor upkeep and cleanliness. Busch Gardens (Tampa and Williamsburg) was always generally very well maintained for example when I visited.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Do theme park cm furloughs work like other furloughs where they bring you back in seniority order?

I found a few of WDW's union contracts online. For full-time STCU CM's:

ARTICLE 15 - LAYOFFS, RECALLS, AND FURLOUGH

SECTION 4. RECALLS IN ACCORDANCE WITH SENIORITY IN JOB CLASSIFICATION Employees who have been laid off as a result of the curtailment of operations shall be recalled in accordance with their seniority in their permanent job classification, provided the employees possess the necessary skills, qualifications, and abilities to perform the available work as determined by the Company.

SECTION 5. RECALL PROCEDURE Laid off employees shall be notified of recall by telephone five (5) workdays prior to the required start date. If the employee is not contacted by telephone, the Company will send a certified letter to the employee's address of record notifying him/her of recall and the required start date, which shall not be less than ten (10) workdays from the date the letter is mailed. A copy of any such letter shall be mailed to the Union.

For NABTU and CTC CM's:

ARTICLE 18 - LAYOFF

SECTION 2.
(a) Any employee with one (1) year or more of seniority and who is laid off shall retain re-employment rights for twelve (12) months.
(b) Any employee who has less than one (1) year of seniority and who is laid off shall retain re-employment rights for the length of time employed.
(c) Employees who are recalled will maintain their seniority date and continuous service date for purposes of Company benefits.

SECTION 3. A laid-off employee shall be notified of his/her recall by telephone at least seven (7) days prior to the date he/she is required to report. If employee cannot be reached by telephone, he/she shall be notified by certified mail to the address on record with the Company, mailed at least fourteen (14) days prior to the date on which he/she is required to report. A copy of any such written notice shall be mailed to the appropriate Union. The employee shall notify the Company within forty-eight (48) hours of recall notification as to his/her intent to return to work. Failure to do so shall result in loss of seniority.

Piebald

As I read over this thread, and kept thinking to myself about the uncertainty of the recovery of the parks. One year stands out for us. My family has been going to Disney since early 2000's. We experienced the changes from 9/11 and 2009, but the worst year in our memory was 2006. We noticed the parks in poor condition. Garbage piled in monorail stations (especially the Epcot station, in the track), and I recall being told at Disney Quest that they had hired high school kids that year. Everything was poor the 2 times we visited that year. Does 2006 have any significance to correlate with our experiences? Or was it just anomaly?
LOL, that was when I worked as a CM. I dont remember it being particularly bad. But back then they hired anyone with a pulse. Nowadays (B.C. before covid) it seems like I'd see people on social media asking how they could get a job as a CM as if they were inquiring about employment at Google or Facebook. I'm not sure how it is now but back then they made sure you had a pulse and no tattoos or beard and you were in.

Piebald

I haven't been to Sea World since the 90s, is the general park upkeep trash there? I know they don't have elaborate Disney quality attractions, but that isn't necessarily correlated with having poor upkeep and cleanliness. Busch Gardens (Tampa and Williamsburg) was always generally very well maintained for example when I visited.
I havent been in about 8 years but I remember both BG and SeaWorld being fine. The only thing was consistency. For example, the rollercoasters were awesome but then something like that Atlantis ride was pretty cheap looking and cheesy. But overall they werent bad.

My complaint was the food was terrible. Disneys food for all its criticisms is diverse and can range from not bad to pretty damn good. I cant think of anything terrible except for Pizzarizzo. BG and SeaWorld, however, were pretty gross. Even Universal lags way behind Disney in the food department.

RaiseTheShields

Union CMs are being called back from furlough depending on what was agreed upon in their MOU’s. I think it’s mostly overall seniority but some may have agreed to seniority by area. If it becomes a layoff, then Union CMs have recall rights depending on their contract.
Non-union CMs are SOL. Seems like a popularity contest.

The Pho

I’d place SeaWorld among the best in the country for general park upkeep. They are easily up there with Dollywood and Holiday World in that respect.

RaiseTheShields

SeaWorld was pristine in the anheuser-busch days. That was more than a decade ago. Right after the parks were sold, upkeep kinda went to the crapper. Not sure how it is nowadays.

Animaniac93-98

I went in 2018 and the park seemed fine as far as being clean and respectable looking, but crowds were very low on the day I went. Raft ride was brand new so that area looked great.

Atlantis has had several broken/defunct effects for years, unfortunately.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I recall being told at Disney Quest that they had hired high school kids that year.

Disney's always hired high school kids. I started (ironically) at Disneyquest in 1999 as a high school junior. They literally recruited me at my high school, hired me on the spot, and had me scheduled for traditions the following Saturday.

Everything was poor the 2 times we visited that year. Does 2006 have any significance to correlate with our experiences? Or was it just anomaly?

Those were dark times at the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom