On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

The Mom

Premium Member
Actually a lot of people are claiming just the opposite, that COVID is merely revealing existing underlying structural problems rather than being the source of the problem itself.

Which I sort of agree with - there was no reason for the market to keep going up the way it did - so, as I mentioned in the above post, I always assumed that it was going to have a huge correction - and planned accordingly.

Lilofan

It goes without saying that Covid is at the root of economic problems - it goes without saying. ;)
I think one problem most Americans have since at an early age lacking of save and invest and live below your means. There have been numerous articles that state many don't even have savings even for a major car repair. When covid hit our country very hard, people from various lifestyles were challenged beyond belief because they had little or no savings.

CaptainAmerica

Which I sort of agree with - there was no reason for the market to keep going up the way it did - so, as I mentioned in the above post, I always assumed that it was going to have a huge correction - and planned accordingly.
All I meant is that the extent to which the virus is the symptom versus the disease for TWDC is a matter for debate (and thus on-topic for this thread).

TrainsOfDisney

I think one problem most Americans have since at an early age lacking of save and invest and live below your means. There have been numerous articles that state many don't even have savings even for a major car repair. When covid hit our country very hard, people from various lifestyles were challenged beyond belief because they had little or no savings.

American Businesses too. Which is why this thread exists...

Lilofan

One of the reasons the market went up is the continued speculation from the meeting of the minds that our country is going to beat this virus and the economic turnaround is right around the corner. Speculation can really move markets up or down. The bottom feeders that bought when the market hit bottom in late March made tremendous amounts of $$.

MerlinTheGoat

So basically the TLDR version of this mess- Iger and Chapek represent tracks A and B respectively of Mr Toad's Wild Ride. Instead of vehicular homicide, it's corporate implosion. Both sides still ending in a trainwreck and the Bobs are sent to hell. That about right?

Sounds fun, does it have a single rider line?

Also, hello and welcome back Photodave.

Animaniac93-98

So basically the TL:DR version of this mess- Iger and Chapek represent tracks A and B respectively of Mr Toad's Wild Ride. Instead of vehicular homicide, it's corporate implosion. Both sides still ending in a trainwreck and the Bobs are sent to hell. That about right?

"Hi Bobs!"

1596062540503.png

aladdin2007

what is all this now about Main Street being changed into something else?? Im reading different stories about this on various sites but is it just some rumor or is this really being considered? They already no longer wear the themed costumes anymore as of this week from what I saw on another site. wow

CaptainAmerica

what is all this now about Main Street being changed into something else?? Im reading different stories about this on various sites but is it just some rumor or is this really being considered? They already no longer wear the themed costumes anymore as of this week from what I saw on another site. wow
Uh. What?

PhotoDave219

So basically the TLDR version of this mess- Iger and Chapek represent tracks A and B respectively of Mr Toad's Wild Ride. Instead of vehicular homicide, it's corporate implosion. Both sides still ending in a trainwreck and the Bobs are sent to hell. That about right?

Sounds fun, does it have a single rider line?

Also, hello and welcome back Photodave.

Actually I’m on my way out. I’ll be back again next year!

MerlinTheGoat

Seriously, I'm grateful for any hope that at least the WDW PATF overlay might be scrapped. Perhaps someday (with more a more sensible and competent TWDC and WDI behind the wheel) they can revisit a PATF ride. But it deserves a new location that doesn't come at the expense of an existing classic.

I can't add much to the discussion about the layoffs. While i'm glad some of the more incompetent and corrupt people in executive leadership (and even imagineering) might end up being removed, I'm sad this will likely hurt front line cast members. I have a high degree of respect and admiration for most of them. They'll likely be hit the hardest, and don't deserve it.

I also wonder how this mess is going to affect general upkeep of the parks. Basic cleanliness, attraction maintenance etc. Especially safety. Back the Disneyland dark age, the park operators operated the parks so cheaply that several people were killed via neglect of safety regulations. Hopefully we don't see a repeat of this.

And while this is all interesting, I wonder what the aftermath of all of this will be. If Iger and Chapek eventually get the boot, who will end up taking their place? Someone who cares about TWDC and wants to try and salvage and restore its former glory, or yet another bean counter that only views it as a cow to be milked dry and shot when it has served its financial purpose to them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom