On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

GladToBeHear

I'll admit it's disheartening reading some of the posts in this thread, but not surprising. As an outsider -- I've observed the mismanagement in this company/resort for YEARS. Changes are (beyond) in order. And sometimes it takes something bad to happen in order for true change to occur. This part of it, I will remain cautiously optimistic about (in the long-term anyway). If this bodes well for the future of WDW, maybe it's something I can deal with right now. We shall see I guess. Anyway, thank you for sharing your insider gossip with us simpletons.

yensidtlaw1969

Now I'm a little concerned as to what this means for sponsorships and non-Disney properties. Is Tower of Terror in danger again? What about RnR and Test Track?
I can't imagine that now is the time they're suddenly going to want to spend the money to redo those attractions. Long-term who knows, but short-term I'd bet they refuse to touch as much as they can legally get away with.

HairyChest

I will say I am so glad Rise of the Resistance, Runaway Railway, Pandora, the Gondolas, and the France Pavilion expansion were/are built before this pandemic hit or not we wouldn't have had any of it built. What we have, including the classics, I'm ok with for my future travels and will have an amazing time. Anything else they were going to or will add is icing on the cake for me.

yensidtlaw1969

BTW. If they reduced resort rates and relaxed the outside mask rule (when distancing), I'd be down there tomorrow. Probably for 2-3 weeks.
My family is meant to be down the first week of August. They still seem to be going, I've been set against it. Flying into Florida for a non-essential trip just seems like a bad idea. But reading all this I almost wonder if this would be my last chance to get to the parks with them before things take a deeper dive . . .

cmarten

I'm tearing thru a Sam Adams summer pack I got on sale. Maybe five deep now?
Glad to see you back! As someone who lives in New England I applaud you on the choice of beer. Have you tried Trillium at all before?

What are your thoughts on Josh’s rapid rise over the past year or so?

Lilofan

I don’t talk to anyone inside anymore. Those days passed when I moved back to Virginia.

But as someone who has watched this company since 2003?

No. None of this is good. The ripple effects through the industry as well as the entire Florida economy letalone the local economy will be huge and possibly devastating. Halloween is cancelled and Christmas will be soon. The parks are ghost towns (which is good in a sense in that less people, less risk of spreading the plague.) It’s going to kill all the secondary and tertiary jobs and businesses that depend on the theme parks. I-Drive? 192? Universal Blvd? All these places are screwed. This doesn’t even get into the housing market as people aren’t going to be able to afford rent. Evictions and foreclosures will happen.

Then there’s less tax money coming into Florida. Remember, they have no income tax. Sales tax and to a certain extent, tax revenue from tourist dollars pays for everything in Florida. Everything that relayed on State money? Screwed beyond belief.

You have Google setting up to have everyone work from home until Mid-2021. This is not going to end anytime soon. People aren’t going to spend several thousand dollars to Go on vacation to the current epicenter of a global pandemic.
Mental health clinics and food banks should be gearing up in more customers coming through their doors. Pawn shops will be doing brisk business. You are right on with less tax money coming into FL that has no state income tax. The FL counties will have less social services to offer residents and tourists and they may have to lay off staff also.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Orlando is a low wage city and one of the worst in the US for housing affordability. I’ll argue that most CM’s are a missed paycheck away from deciding if they want rent or food.

So, like 2008. But with fewer $150/wk motels on 192.
Ever seen the movie The Florida Project with actor Willem Dafoe?. Filmed on location in 192 Kissimmee. Truly an eye opener with people who don't know the dark side right near WDW.

GladToBeHear

Ever seen the movie The Florida Project with actor Willem Dafoe?. Filmed on location in 192 Kissimmee. Truly an eye opener with people who don't know the dark side right near WDW.

Yes. And every city has areas/stories like this. I will admit, the juxtaposition is what's interesting. Especially for people like me that know the area around the resort but don't live down there and see it on a daily basis.

Jon81uk

Florida only has themselves to blame honestly. No masks while outside is realistic when cases are under control. Unfortunately the PR would be a nightmare if Disney lifted outside enforcement in the current environment.
There’s no science to support that at all. In fact, the science says that you’re highly unlikely to get COVID while outside, mask or not, if you’re distancing enough. You’re also highly unlikely to get it with touching a surface. I agree that it would be a PR nightmare to remove the mask requirement now, but I do fully expect the mask requirements to be reduced in early November. As far as Florida’s cases, they’re mostly coming from nursing homes and dense cities like Miami. Orlando is basically the opposite of dense. It’s a city that is spread out like mad, with a capacity of at least 4 times the size of the actual population. Everyone is distanced in Orlando and there’s plenty of room for it right now.

Yep the science seems to say it doesn't spread as easily outside. Over here in the UK masks are required by law on public transport and in shops.
Most of the UK theme parks say that masks are required on thrill rides, as if you scream your breath travels further increasing the risks. To meet the law they are required in the shops. Some of the indoor attractions require masks where they cannot distance people well. But for outdoor areas they are not required. This seems to be the most sensible approach, distance outdoors, masks on thrill rides and masks in some indoor spaces.

However the UK (although not the best country for Covid either) is in a very different place to the USA/Florida. Our cases/deaths are going down, Florida are going up.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom