On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

TrainsOfDisney

"He was telling me not to invest in projects that would sap the resources of my company and me and not give much back.

I still have that piece of paper in my desk, occasionally pulling it out when I talk to Disney executives about what projects to pursue and where to put their energy."

You know, that honestly explains a lot...
The Disney company was built on projects that required large investments that “sapped” the resources of Walt and the Disney employees.

Snow White and Disneyland being the two major examples.

JoeCamel

The Disney company was built on projects that required large investments that “sapped” the resources of Walt and the Disney employees.

Crossed my mind as well that Walt took chances and if it didn't work out Roy cleaned it up. Iger made bold moves but only after all the beans were counted

UNCgolf

Its a short term way to operate IMO. You get better profits initially but by sacrificing your quality for higher return you run the risk of loosing the good will you’ve built up over the years & destroy your brand and reputation in the longer term. Kinda like a theme park version of the endless run of direct to video sequels of the 90s

I completely agree.

I've called Disney's recent decision-making shortsighted numerous times here.

Touchdown

What bold moves are you referring to?

Shanghai?

Marvel

Lucasfilm

Pixar was a no brainer, but Marvel was a major risk when it was purchased and also I required another risky move (giving Feige full control of Marvel Studios independent of Marvel Comics) to become the home run it is now. Lucasfilm was more of sure thing but had a very high price tag that made it more risky.

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

He deserves some criticism but most, if not every, business would and has done the same thing. When he was on his way out he was regarded as one of the best CEOs. His tech fascination is a bit weird but the Disney+ move was crucial to the company not only staying afloat, but thriving right now all things considered.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Marvel

Lucasfilm

Pixar was a no brainer, but Marvel was a major risk when it was purchased and also I required another risky move (giving Feige full control of Marvel Studios independent of Marvel Comics) to become the home run it is now. Lucasfilm was more of sure thing but had a very high price tag that made it more risky.

True, Marvel was a risk that paid off by giving Feige the decision making power, which turned out to be one of the smartest moves in recent history. Lucasfilm was a goose on a silver platter that Disney decided to drop on the floor. Thankfully they are getting their legs back under them.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Yet both were expected to give back... Walt just didn't bother with requiring the math proof before moving. He went based on his gut of what he thought would be successful. He believed success would just come if they did it right.

You all are way over reaching on this comment.

the.dreamfinder

Don't know if this has already been posted by I was watching a video by The Right Opinion on Ellen Degeneres and he had an old clip of an interview with Bob Iger explaining why her sitcom had to be cancelled. Warning: he's got some spicy things to say about homosexuality.

It's funny when you consider how people like Iger are willing to flip-flop at their financial convenience.

The guy who had a relationship with a lower level ABC employee, then TV Journalist, now wife Willow Bay, deciding what is and is not “adult content” is quite rich.

Animaniac93-98

Iger's success, is the success of others, and the brand power that Disney had built after 80+ years of operation.

He was not involved in the creation of Frozen, or the MCU, or there when Star Wars in the 70s was an expensive gamble. The one theme park opened during his time was another Magic Kingdom.

He success is really more like luck. Lucky to be at the right place at the right time. Working for ABC when Disney bought it. Getting picked by Eisner to be COO and then as successor. Deciding to buy Marvel after Paramount released Iron Man and was developing the MCU etc.

But he's glad to take the credit and association. Just like how he keeps pretending to be BFFs with Steve Jobs after his death.

Lilofan

In other words, there's nothing special or unique about Iger and the only reason he's had so much trouble finding a successor is his ego and self-serving political calculations.
I'm surprised he still has these ambitions. Iger is worth more than $500M. He should just lead the good retired life when he leaves Disney.

Animaniac93-98

I'm surprised he still has these ambitions. Iger is worth more than $500M. He should just lead the good retired life when he leaves Disney.

He could live very comfortably with his net worth, and rest well knowing his time as CEO was considered successful by the general public, but he increasingly wants to be seen as a "great person" in his own right a la Jobs, Walt etc. He shied away from the public spotlight for years, but now wants more personal praise and attention. Seems like a mid/late life crisis.

drizgirl

He could live very comfortably with his net worth, and rest well knowing his time as CEO was considered successful by the general public, but he increasingly wants to be seen as a "great person" in his own right a la Jobs, Walt etc. He shied away from the public spotlight for years, but now wants more personal praise and attention. Seems like a mid/late life crisis.
He could have started by not entangling the company so closely with China.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The guy who had a relationship with a lower level ABC employee, then TV Journalist, now wife Willow Bay, deciding what is and is not “adult content” is quite rich.

Well...promotions through “interaction” is a time honored American tradition. You spend most of your waking hours at work.

It’s as American as apple pie...baseball...and Indian tears (what?)

A certain US senator (Georgia! Cough!) is a testament to that if you look at personal history.

So Iger’s Personal life doesn’t stand out much at all.

JoeCamel

Getting into US politics now with his background on China is poorly timed, because a dislike of their government is one of the very few things that both sides of American politics agree about.
Iger in China is like Rex Tillerson negotiating a Saudi oil deal, you can't divest the history of the business from the man. Let him go to the UK, he can't screw that up any worse than it is. Well maybe the Mary Poppins people but does he care?

Animaniac93-98

Iger in China is like Rex Tillerson negotiating a Saudi oil deal, you can't divest the history of the business from the man. Let him go to the UK, he can't screw that up any worse than it is. Well maybe the Mary Poppins people but does he care?

Or just not get into politics at all. Corporate CEOs shouldn't automatically feel/be entitled to certain positions in government.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom