On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Don't know if this has already been posted by I was watching a video by The Right Opinion on Ellen Degeneres and he had an old clip of an interview with Bob Iger explaining why her sitcom had to be cancelled. Warning: he's got some spicy things to say about homosexuality.

It's funny when you consider how people like Iger are willing to flip-flop at their financial convenience.

That's really saying something. I'll bet THAT video won't ever surface to the big media and public for comparisons.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
IuuuuiiuiuuuGetting into US politics now with his background on China is poorly timed, because a dislike of their government is one of the very few things that both sides of American politics agree about.
*superficially* they agree...it’s a talking point.

The reality is both sides and all their supporters love Beijing...it’s just that many of them don’t know it.

Lilofan

He could have started by not entangling the company so closely with China.
Iger needed to build a relationship with China to open SHDL. If one looks at the tag of the Disney T shirt they bought it is probably made in China. I don't agree with the politics of China but it is a no brainer in a business sense to grow one's business in a country with over one billion people. I'm surprised Iger was not involved with controversial Saudi leader bin Salam. bin Salam is building an enormous entertainment, leisure and sports lands that would make WDW look like Fun Spot in Orlando. Phillipe Gas, a 30 year Disney exec recently left Disney to be the CEO of this new venture in Saudi Arabia singing praises on bin Salam.

"Let China sleep, because when she wakes up she will move the world " - Napoleon Bonaparte

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Iger is to Disney what the pandemic is to America.
I think you’re gripping the bat too tight, Hoss

Or just not get into politics at all. Corporate CEOs shouldn't automatically feel/be entitled to certain positions in government.

Corporate CEOs are 100% about big money, largesse...which is exactly why they are always begged to be in government (most decline)

Everyone said the 80’s were so “great”...that’s how the government still runs - off failed robber baron economic ideas (not to get political...but It is what it is)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Iger needed to build a relationship with China to open SHDL. If one looks at the tag of the Disney T shirt they bought it is probably made in China. I don't agree with the politics of China but it is a no brainer in a business sense to grow one's business in a country with over one billion people. I'm surprised Iger was not involved with controversial Saudi leader bin Salam. bin Salam is building an enormous entertainment, leisure and sports lands that would make WDW look like Fun Spot in Orlando. Phillipe Gas, a 30 year Disney exec recently left Disney to be the CEO of this new venture in Saudi Arabia singing praises on bin Salam.

"Let China sleep, because when she wakes up she will move the world " - Napoleon Bonaparte

I didn’t like the idea of Disney in China 20 ish years ago when I first heard of it.

Sometimes things that “make sense” on paper don’t actually pass the sniff test at all. File it under that.

drizgirl

We all make hard choices. Iger made his on behalf of the company. Doesn't mean it was a "no brainer". Or that it was the right one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's really saying something. I'll bet THAT video won't ever surface to the big media and public for comparisons.

Now I remember watching that interview...and as much as I 100% agree with the points Sawyer and Degeneres were making...it looks like it is mining the past for current grievances with Iger as its framed in the 2020 context.

It was difficult at the time. Progress has always been a turtle...not a rabbit. To recognize that doesn’t forgive the hate and the intolerance...but it’s hard to assign today’s beliefs to the past.

And all things don’t play equal. This isn’t like renaming civil war military bases...that is 100% a no brainer. This is realizing the mistakes of a social/entertainment scenario that hopefully we have worked most of the kinks out of by choice for the better. Most but not all.

This isn’t on the level of Matthew Shepard or calling her “Ellen degenerate”

Not to make excuses for Iger...but he had constraints to his job that forced him to thread the needle there. Ones that are more or less gone from Disney now.

He’s a greedy, low quality promoting sons a gun in many ways...but I can’t toss him in a bin as a fringe bigot or anything.

lazyboy97o

Before Quiddiya was Dubailand. We’ll see if it happens and lives up to its promises.

Lilofan

We all make hard choices. Iger made his on behalf of the company. Doesn't mean it was a "no brainer". Or that it was the right one.
Bingo. He made decisions on behalf of the company ( and the shareholders ). Part of the job description of a CEO, his work contract and his compensation including bonuses set by the Disney Board tied into his performance.

eliza61nyc

I think you’re gripping the bat too tight, Hoss

Corporate CEOs are 100% about big money, largesse...which is exactly why they are always begged to be in government (most decline)

Everyone said the 80’s were so “great”...that’s how the government still runs - off failed robber baron economic ideas (not to get political...but It is what it is)
lol the 80's?? basically you hit the nail on the head, the term "robber baron" itself dates back to the late 19th century.
I do kinda shake my head at some of the criticism Sir, maybe it's because I've spent my life in fortune 100 companies. lol, they've been pulling shenanigan's forever and they've always been in bed with politicians.

so I am always surprised that folks think Disney is going to be different.

Happy New Year's

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Now I remember watching that interview...and as much as I 100% agree with the points Sawyer and Degeneres were making...it looks like it is mining the past for current grievances with Iger as its framed in the 2020 context.

It was difficult at the time. Progress has always been a turtle...not a rabbit. To recognize that doesn’t forgive the hate and the intolerance...but it’s hard to assign today’s beliefs to the past.

And all things don’t play equal. This isn’t like renaming civil war military bases...that is 100% a no brainer. This is realizing the mistakes of a social/entertainment scenario that hopefully we have worked most of the kinks out of by choice for the better. Most but not all.

This isn’t on the level of Matthew Shepard or calling her “Ellen degenerate”

Not to make excuses for Iger...but he had constraints to his job that forced him to thread the needle there. Ones that are more or less gone from Disney now.

He’s a greedy, low quality promoting sons a gun in many ways...but I can’t toss him in a bin as a fringe bigot or anything.
As everyone else says on these threads... “to each their own.”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
lol the 80's?? basically you hit the nail on the head, the term "robber baron" itself dates back to the late 19th century.
I do kinda shake my head at some of the criticism Sir, maybe it's because I've spent my life in fortune 100 companies. lol, they've been pulling shenanigan's forever and they've always been in bed with politicians.

so I am always surprised that folks think Disney is going to be different.

Happy New Year's

I’m sorry...”modern robber barons”

You likely know that the most “fair economy” started coming out of the depression/WW2 and peaked around 1968...

It’s been a slow decline on the WHOLE...which is not a reflection of GDP, dividends, or midcap growth funds in a 401K ever since...

The 80’s - to me - the modern symbol of that.

A collective “ehh...just keep jumping for the brass ring...stiff arm whoever you have to...” mentality.

It’s never gone away

Cesar R M

Also, everyone saw UOR cut August hours today? CM blackout was pulled, they’re allowed back in.

This is Beyond the worst case we imagined.

Disney will survive, but the next few years are going to hurt.
I'm still scratching my head on why they tough it was a good idea to lay off more people while restoring executive bonuses.. aaah priorities!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom