On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The full number is 57.66% to Democrats and 42.34% to Republican federal candidates in 2020. They raised $278,025 and dispersed $124,000 - $71,500 went to Democrats and $52,500 went to Republicans. Of course, the MPAA and IAPA carry the largest burden to donate through their own PACs and I don't have the time to pull their records. Disney's spending makes sense given the way things were going politically over 2020. Like all businesses, they just want to make sure their interests are represented by the people who matter - the leaders and committee chairs of jurisdiction they care about.

...you make it sound oh so noble.

It’s paying for policy. All the time...every single one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With #1, these remakes reinvigorated the brands. There's simply no argument against them from a business perspective, any personal feelings about them aside. It's not even Iger's idea, either. Disney's done the same thing with straight to video releases of the same titles back in the 1990s.

2 is one of those that's just silly. Disney's doing the right thing. More corporations should follow their lead. Period.

On #3, the benefits of Fox are myriad already and will only grow more valuable over time. As just one example, The Simpsons quietly anchored the first year of Disney+.

#4 isn't much of a riddle. Starcade failed, so they had no reason to replace it. Arcades are extremely niche, and I say that as someone who was literally JUST looking at the Insta of a nearby arcade/bar we like. Pixar Pier makes basic sense from branding AND theming perspectives.

#5 may bother you, but that's only the outer fringe of Disney to begin with. I've got friends within the comic industry -- one who has made millions from selling his earlier drawings from the 1960s and 1970s -- who complain about Marvel, but it's always a discussion of art vs. commerce. Since this isn't art appreciation, the central point stands. None of this has anything to do with Bob freakin' Iger. He's not someone who has a weekly pull list.

#6 is a money industry for Disney and has been going back half a century. I mean, Walt Disney's final words were Kurt Russell. These stupid tween comedies bring in new viewers. It'd be terrible business to throw out the revenue streams of High School Musical, Descendants, Teen Beach, and now Zombies. If you want to say they suck, that's fine. Everyone responds differently to art/entertainment. Those are bread winners, though. I mean, Disney called an entire weekend conference after Hannah Montana's movie overperformed. That speaks volumes about the importance of that demographic to the company's vision.

As for Epic Mickey, if there's demand, they'll license it out to somebody else. The Power of Two came out in 2012. That was two full console generations ago now. And again, none of that had literally anything to do with Bob Iger. The only way he'd even be aware of it is if his kids/grandkids played it.

There’s a lot of “clay” to make a sculpture out of on this one...

Miru

Disney's PAC contributions are 57% Democrat to 42% GOP.
Exactly. Remember that the Democrats were against the Civil Rights Act, for example. Both numbers are fairly large, however.
And your statements about the tweencoms, Fox, and other stuff are all valid points. But not replacing Starcade turns it into a waste of space, something just standing there doing nothing for guests.

eliza61nyc

The full number is 57.66% to Democrats and 42.34% to Republican federal candidates in 2020. They raised $278,025 and dispersed $124,000 - $71,500 went to Democrats and $52,500 went to Republicans. Of course, the MPAA and IAPA carry the largest burden to donate through their own PACs and I don't have the time to pull their records. Disney's spending makes sense given the way things were going politically over 2020. Like all businesses, they just want to make sure their interests are represented by the people who matter - the leaders and committee chairs of jurisdiction they care about.
and it's nothing new. The Dupont chemical company started out as a gunpowder manufacturer. The solid gunpowder to both The British and the colonies. No matter who won the insurrection, ;) they had a foot in the door.

Minnesota disney fan

I long for the days when no one gave a rat's bottom what political party you were. If they knew, they didn't given it a second thought. Heck, my husband and I cancelled out each other's votes many times, and we have been happily married for 52 years. Oh well.................
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

TrainsOfDisney

J
I long for the days when no one gave a rat's bottom what political party you were. If they knew, they didn't given it a second thought. Heck, my husband and I cancelled out each other's votes many times, and we have been happily married for 52 years. Oh well.................
Up until our most recent President I didn’t care much either.

Disney Experience

I meant to quote the above for my next post, but somehow they became two posts.

Last edited:

Disney Experience

One my favorite "Vote" cancellations of old (She is now a libertarian vs her Republican past)
is Mary Matalin married to James Carville.

There was a humorous story of their dating I read decades ago in a book he wrote ( We're Right, They're Wrong: A Handbook for Spirited Progressives (1996). His original title was funnier). I read books from both sides of the aisle, better to understand all points of views.

While dating they were one the top people in their respective party's campaigns. The conversations on politics (If discussed in their house or in their dating life) would have been interesting. Opposites do attract, but you have to have some commonality too.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Disney's PAC contributions are 57% Democrat to 42% GOP.
Source for that breakdown?

I’ll provide one based on their donations in Florida in 2019.
Disney spent $8.38 on Republicans for every $1 it spent on Democrats. Overall, the various Disney entities donated at least $327,000 to the Republican entities and 29 Republican lawmakers or candidates who’ve filed for the 2020 election.

toonaspie

Would be hilarious if this got out on Twitter. I would need a bucket of popcorn for all the SJWs screeching over Disney's donations to the GOP.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Are you saying you dislike people just because of their political affiliation? I thought you were the party that always screamed for tolerance or is that just a one way street.
Not at all...and as I believe I told you: I don’t have a party.

What i’m Saying is I agree 100% with the post...I didn’t care much about the labels UNTIL this last election. It was more an afterthought until embarrassing idiots were elected to offices.

Ok...no more politics.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Not at all...and as I believe I told you: I don’t have a party.

What i’m Saying is I agree 100% with the post...I didn’t care much about the labels UNTIL this last election. It was more an afterthought until embarrassing idiots were elected to offices.

Ok...no more politics.

There's plenty of stupidity to go around in both the major parties: Dan Quayle (Potatoe) and Hank Johnson (Guam will tip over), that's why the framers of our experiment put multiple levels of offsetting power so that no one idiot could tip the boat over. They can splash a lot of water in, but the rest can bail.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's plenty of stupidity to go around in both the major parties: Dan Quayle (Potatoe) and Hank Johnson (Guam will tip over), that's why the framers of our experiment put multiple levels of offsetting power so that no one idiot could tip the boat over. They can splash a lot of water in, but the rest can bail.
Not on this level...I should qualify: it’s the combination of insane AND idiot

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom