Old Plans/Designs/Rumors

vonpluto

A few more supposed plans I stumbled across over the years:

MK
•Great Ceremonial House Luau - became Tiki Birds
•Tiki Cabana (1988) (Tiki Birds rehab)
•Swan Boats with scenes from Fantasia. The ride was modeled after the story book boat ride at Disneyland.

Resorts
•3 Hotels on BV Drive between TL &DV (site taken by Casting Center, Team Disney & Pleasure Island ; I think this is detailed in Eisners book, after some roundabout negotiations these hotels in efect became the Swolphin)
•2nd half of Caribbean Beach
•Wild West Town on Bay Lake

Pleasure Island
•Illusions Bar
•Madison Dive - Seaside saloon & crabhouse
•Blooms Jazz Garden became Neon Armadillo

I’m sure Martin can verify or debunk these:shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’m sure Martin can verify or debunk these:shrug:
:lol:
I guess the wild west town was Buffalo Junction in Fort Wilderness?

I don`t recall the hotels being on BV Drive - though reading Work in Progress was tough going at times. Any idea what page / chapter? The part I know was Walker and Miller scrapped the Industrial Park idea west of EPCOT, and through the legal Mumbo Jumbo Tishman were to build 2 bland hotels there. Eisner stopped them, and the lawsuits followed (though were dropped)

Very interesting about them being on BVD. I`ll have a dig. I know The Disney Touch 1st ed (Glover) goes into detail about them, but I don`t recall him mentioning BVD.

Caribbean Beach - that missing village. I`d love to know the name of it and what happened to it.

vonpluto

:lol:
I guess the wild west town was Buffalo Junction in Fort Wilderness?

I don`t recall the hotels being on BV Drive - though reading Work in Progress was tough going at times. Any idea what page / chapter? The part I know was Walker and Miller scrapped the Industrial Park idea west of EPCOT, and through the legal Mumbo Jumbo Tishman were to build 2 bland hotels there. Eisner stopped them, and the lawsuits followed (though were dropped)

Very interesting about them being on BVD. I`ll have a dig. I know The Disney Touch 1st ed (Glover) goes into detail about them, but I don`t recall him mentioning BVD.

Caribbean Beach - that missing village. I`d love to know the name of it and what happened to it.

I've heard that the wild west town was to be called Buffalo Junction, but, also Wilderness Junction, with Buffalo Junction being a small hotel located at the present site of the Settlement Trading Post. First came across the concept in a handout titled "History of the WDW Resort". It states space was left open around the lagoon for the Venetian, Asian, and Persian resorts, plus space for a large movie complex and " a Western town resort near FW".

The three BVD resorts were shown on the map that once hung outside the Teacher center in Communicore. I think I read somewhere it now hangs in a breakroom at the TTC.
:)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Some more interesting resort trivia; the Asian was still mooted as late as 1980. Sometime in 81-82 the Grand Floridian was born, though Asian Way kept it`s name until the Floridian opened in 86.

The Meditteranean was also mentioned as early as 79-80, originally without a monorail station(!) The plan was revised in the early 90`s to include a monorail stop.

MetFan81

I agree, does anybody know more about the CBR missing island or islands? I assume this would have gone next to Jamaica and accross from Trinidad South.

Or was the expanison or stage two going to include a new food court such as the All Stars?

vonpluto

I agree, does anybody know more about the CBR missing island or islands? I assume this would have gone next to Jamaica and accross from Trinidad South.

Or was the expanison or stage two going to include a new food court such as the All Stars?

I was told that the second section would have five areas of lodging (including Trinidad South) and a town center like Old Port Royale.:shrug:

The complete CBR would have had almost 4,000 rooms and would have been the largest resort in the world.(world like planet, not the mousehouse:) )

IIRC, I first heard about this back in 93-94.

Phantasia

Original Poster
I've just recieved My copy of "since the world began, WDW 1st 25 Years, - and looking at the concept art for animal Kingdom - in the concepts for

Dinoland - theres a Drawing of a wooden Roller Coaster - now that would have been exciting - a wooden Roller coaster at a Disney Park !

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've just recieved My copy of "since the world began, WDW 1st 25 Years, - and looking at the concept art for animal Kingdom - in the concepts for

Dinoland - theres a Drawing of a wooden Roller Coaster - now that would have been exciting - a wooden Roller coaster at a Disney Park !
Yep. The long rumoured `Excavator` coaster. Apparently it wasn`t wood; more steel to look like wood. Old ideas never die yada yada yada and the design was refined into Cal` Screamin' at DCA.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've also just picked up on something called MYST island

could someone please elaborate on what this was doing to be?
A never confirmed rumour of instead of letting Discovery Island rot it was to be turned into MYST Island; someone will be able to tell you all about the concept behind MYST (the best I can liken it to is LaserQuest/paintballing on a huge scale)

WDWFREAK53

A never confirmed rumour of instead of letting Discovery Island rot it was to be turned into MYST Island; someone will be able to tell you all about the concept behind MYST (the best I can liken it to is LaserQuest/paintballing on a huge scale)

That's all it was? Man, that would've been a disappointment!

I thought there was going to be a mystery to solve with all kinds of hands-on "puzzles" that opened up to MORE hands-on puzzles. I was expecting a MYST-esque design but geared to the lands of the Magic Kingdom as the different realms. Wow...what a letdown I was in for if I got there expecting what I was expecting and getting a laser tag gun handed to me. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom