Old Plans/Designs/Rumors

Phantasia

Original Poster
Hi There I'm new to this Board

My first question, if anyone can help is - does anyone have A Comprehensive list of all planned/rumored/ designed attractions which where unfruitful or scrapped throughout the Disney Parks history.

For example "Beastly Kingdom" in DAK - which is now widely accepted as a definate plan (including concept art etc) - but which to date has not been realised.

I'd be interested to know of others

napnet

a) this was posted in the wrong place... select where you post wisely :)
2) google can help you a ton. Check out places like jimhillmedia.com, wdwhistory.com, allearsnet.com and a few others for things of this topic... they would be good resources. Also, there are a great number of poeple on the board here who are great resources.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Phew... I have a mental list of so many.... a hundered? More?

There are so so many it`d be hard to do a complete list, though I might try one day. For example, this morning I was sent info that the Carousel Theatre was originally planned to go into the Circlevision theatre building - assuming Space Port / Mountain was built inside the berm. This was circa 1970.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
a) this was posted in the wrong place... select where you post wisely :)
2) google can help you a ton. Check out places like jimhillmedia.com, wdwhistory.com, allearsnet.com and a few others for things of this topic... they would be good resources. Also, there are a great number of poeple on the board here who are great resources.
1) crack that whip boy! :lol:
2) take some of these sites with a grain of salt... for actual things that were and are no more you can visit yesterland.com

oh, welcome to wdwmagic

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Off the top of my head - unless mentioned as pure rumour, these all had hard proof

Magic Kingdom;
Fire Mountain (rumour), Adventureland
Looping coaster (rumour), Adventureland
Western River Expedition, Frontierland
Villan Mountain (rumour), Fantasyland
Atlantis Coaster, 20k plot (rumour)
Dark ride, where Toontown is today (Mary Poppins Rumour)
The Little Mermaid Dark Ride, Toontown
WEDWay track looping around Grand Prix Speedway (2 variations)
Carousel theatre in Circlevision building
Dark Ride between Skyway station and Carousel Theatre (Tomorrowland)
Omnimax ride between Skyway station and Carousel Theatre (Tomorrowland)
Restaurant infront of Space Mountain with extended lake
Tomorrowland train station
Monorail loop through Tomorowland
Monorail loop through hub at Tomorrowland entrance
Transportarium; enhanced From Time to Time show with morphing animatronic screens

EPCOT Center (as we know it, not World Showcase park or EPCOT Theme Center. 1978 proposals included so far as comparable to 1982s park. No Project Gemini)
Time Racers Spaceship Earth postshow (rumour)
Extra track loop in Spaceship Earth 180top (rumour)
Energy rehab along the style of USF T2:3D; very hi-tec and corporate, effects driven show
The Voyage Within - Omnimover ride through the human body in Health and Life Pavilion
Horizons with 3 Omnimax screens, originally as the finale of the attraction. An AA-populated ascent into the screen area instead of the Neon future from the 50`s scene. A video recap of the attraction before the Choose your Tomorrow section. a 4th Choose your Tomorrow option; maglev ride through Messe Verde. A postshow area of GE images following you along the walls (idea used for final finale design)
Horizons conversion into Space pavilion
World of Motion preshow area next to queue
Odyssey restaurant part of Communicore
WEDWay loop around Futureworld and through Communicores
TRON Arcade in Communicore West
Road to Utopia in Communicore West
Homestyles 2000
EPCOT Creative Center
Audio Adventure Maze - all 3 to have gone into an expanded Communicore (both buildings were built to expand outwards upto the Monorail loop)
A monorail spur between Life and Horizons to Lake Buena Vista
Journey into Imagination ride on 2 floors, with a finale of a second Flight to Tomorrow show scene to recap the ride. This would have unloaded directly into The Imageworks.
Great Moments at the Movies pavilion
The Land pavilion with an indoor rainforest, including cable car ride, balloon ride elevators and a Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction. Snow, Tropical and desert walkthrough biomes.
Ecology pavilion
The Seas pavilion. A preshow much like IOAs Possiedon with visual effects and large screens. A much longer transparent Omnimover ride with Animatronic populated show scenes before a much longer - glass tubed - journey through the water tank. A reconfigured Seabase Alpha, much more transparent, with the Observation deck as part of the exit.

Israel
Costa Rica
Denmark
United Arab Emirates
A longer Maelstrom with more intense storm scene
Equitorial Africa with attractions
Italy with Gondola ride
Germanys infamous Rhine River
Japan with a Circlevision bullet train attraction
Japan with Meet the World Carousel Theatre
Japan with Mount Fuji and Ginza district
Venezuala with cable car
Spain
USSR with darkride
Switzerland with Matterhorn
Expo hall in France
Vaudaville Theatre in the UK

Disney-MGM Studios
A mountain rollercoaster half-open on one side (half the facade missing)
The Great Muppet Movie Ride in Muppet Studios
Mickeys Movieland with Hyperion Studio
Roger Rabbits Hollywood with Toon Town Trolley simulator, Benny the Cab ride and Baby Hermans Runway Buggy ride
D Ick Traceys Crimestoppers EMV ride
Direct park exit from Fantasmic!
Journey to the Center of the Earth segment for Backlot Tram Tour

Animal Kingdom
Beastly Kingdomme (there`s a whole recent thread for this with lots of pics)
Much longer Tiger River Rapids

Resorts
Persian
Venitian
Asian
Meditteranean
Cyprus Point
2 movie themed resorts near MGM
Bonnet Creek
West Resort area
Office complex at LBV
LBV residential sector
LBV downtown core
WEDWay network for LBV

....and all the others I can`t recall right now!

Captain Hank

Oh, that's interesting about the carousel theater being in the Circlevision building. Would the dimensions of the theater have allowed it?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh, that's interesting about the carousel theater being in the Circlevision building. Would the dimensions of the theater have allowed it?
Isn`t it? As built, it wouldn`t have fitted. It would have had to have been a smaller carousel. We`re talking September 1970, BTW. Possibly the CV theatre was a stop-gap until the carousel was developed. The opening day sign - minus a pylon - for America the Beautiful was certainly temporary!

Phantasia

Original Poster
Thanks Marni1971

What an interesting list - I'm Fasinated by Disney Imagineering and the possibilities of "what could have been" . After seeing Concept Art for Beastly Kingdom - it really got me thinking.

I had read about Fire mountain somewhere too - and by the description I can only Imagine it was what became "Journey to the Centre of the Earth"

Do you know any good Sites to Visit or Good books to read about the subject

DisneyMusician2

Martin, have you considered running your own site with all of this stuff on it, like a full hitory with pictures and art and things? It would certainly clear up a lot of misconceptions....Until then, keep on setting us straight!!

Hummer1676

There are a lot of concept photos and other misc. items in the Disney Imagineering book. I picked it up about 2 weeks ago and i am still reading through it. A truely awesome book of how imaginations and engineering can make things come true. A must have.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Imagineering book is very good - certainly one for your interest. It`s ISBN is below. Specifically for unbuilt ideas and concepts I`d also recommend

Project Florida, Walt DIsney Productions 1967. Not commercially available
Master Planning for Walt DIsney World, Walt Disney Productions 1969. Not commercially available
Walt Disney World EPCOT Center, Walt Disney Productions 1982
Walt Disney Worlds`s EPCOT Center - Creating the new world of tomorrow 7
Walt Disney Imagineering 1996 0 7868 6246 7
Designing Disneys Theme Parks - The architecture of reassurance 1997 2 08013 639 9
The Making of Disneys Animal Kingdom Theme Park 1998 0 7868 6402 8
Designing Disney (John Hench) 2003 07868 5406 5
The Haunted Mansion 2003 07868 5419 7
Pirates of the Caribbean 0-7868-5630-0

Apart from that, I`ve resourced tonnes of websites and videos over the years for images to back up written info, and it helps to have a few contacts on the inside too. As for me doing a website, I wouldn`t have the time, and if I did I`d probably be shut down :lol:

RSoxNo1

I completely forgot about the MGM mountain coaster. I think that's one of the better never built attractions. That and the Villain Mountain Flume are the most solid ideas in my opinion.

Imaginationeer

Did someone forget the new refurbishment o Imagination that has been sitting on a shelf for 8 months!!! We can only pray that the budget is finally allowed.

MetFan81

Great job again Marni.

However a question; what were to be the themes of the MGM resorts and where would they have gone (it seems like to small of an area)?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ no idea I`m afraid. I just have a September 1990 press release -
Two other hotels of 1000 rooms each will be located at the EPCOT resort area with Hollywood-related themes.
Oh, I also forgot Buffalo Junction Resort in Fort Wilderness and the Kingdom Suites on Seven Seas Lagoon. Buffalo Junction turned into Fort Wilderness Junction, but wasn`t built. Fort Wilderness Lodge was, after a name change.

I`ve also found Noahs Ark, the nighttime show for Crescent Lake, was originally to have played at the Studios in 1992. No idea where though! And of course, Under the Sea at The Boardwalk, along with Family Reunion and Disney Magic dinner shows.

Hummer, the nest single book has to be Walt Disney Imagineering (1996)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom