Ok...WITHOUT Getting Political...The Hall of Presidents Update

Fable McCloud

I've seen both versions of the show, with Lincoln being the primary speaker and with Obama doing his speech. Personally, I'd love to see some hybrid of both, where the older gents get their moment and the current president gets a speech as well. I think it would showcase more of the accomplishments of the US while still being able to demonstrate the things our nation currently faces.

Also at this point, I think any of the presidential candidates would make for an entertaining, interesting, and groundbreaking speech, no matter who wins the election.

danyoung

I've seen both versions of the show, with Lincoln being the primary speaker and with Obama doing his speech. Personally, I'd love to see some hybrid of both, where the older gents get their moment and the current president gets a speech as well. I think it would showcase more of the accomplishments of the US while still being able to demonstrate the things our nation currently faces.

Also at this point, I think any of the presidential candidates would make for an entertaining, interesting, and groundbreaking speech, no matter who wins the election.

Wow - very well spoken!

Walt Disney1955

Well, the sitting Presidents have been Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, Bush Jr. and Obama. Lots of difference political stripes there. You know what, it never really mattered. You know what you are entering when you go into the Hall of Presidents.

As for who would be interesting to see as an AA? Trump or Sanders would make the most interesting for sure. Hillary, Cruz or Kasich would be more or less pretty standard.

Magenta Panther

So...

Let's try this...very carefully...please, don't get too political...keep your affiliation and fervor outside the attraction's sake to yourself!

What kinds of scenarios do we potentially see for the Hall of Presidents? Would they revert back to a show where Lincoln is the primary speaker? Would they have a new figure for the attraction and have that figure give a speech? Would it be much like the current incarnation?

It's true that we have some further historical candidates up for the spot...(first female, first Jewish, oldest elected, first orange, probably the first billionaire...etc.)

So...would they take that road and have them speak with their first-ness being of primary reason for some kind of stirring speech or revert back to older scripts or formats?

And just for kicks...sans getting into political debate (it'd be a party foul!): who would be the most fun to see up there? What AA figure would be awesome to you?

Let's attempt to keep this somewhat good-natured here...

OK, go!

Personally, I would like to see Lincoln take center stage, and the Presidents behind him just get acknowledged, and nothing more. No speeches from the current President. The show would then be more palatable for everyone, regardless of political persuasion.

slappy magoo

Now that they've established that the current President gets a speaking role, I can't imagine the blowback they'd get if they reverted to Lincoln doing most of the speaking, or a prior President getting most of the attention. It'd be awkward enough and there would be cries of bias if any of the Repub candidates won the election. But if they removed the sitting President speaking if it were the first woman or Jewish President? There'd be cries of bias as well as misogyny or anti-Semitism. And as we all know neither misgoyny nor anti-Semitism ever had any place in anything associated with Walt Disney.

steviej

Yes, that was Blaine Gibson, and he passed in July of '15 at age 97. The last President for HoP he sculpted was George W. Bush. His apprentice, Valerie Edwards, sculpted Barack Obama.

yes, but I think Blaine oversaw the Obama animatronic. (have tbh, I don't think the Obama animatronic looks a thing like him)

cheesecake

I agree that they have to give the new president the speech, or else it would be seen as Disney making a political statement. If they did take the speech away from the current president, the only one who could have it is Lincoln. In the original attraction, Lincoln made the speech. He also isn't a divisive political figure nowadays, but any president from the last 50 years would be.

GrammieBee

Leave it as it is. So you don't agree with the person who was elected? They won't be there forever. There have been effective presidents, ineffective presidents and middlin presidents as long as we have been a country. No matter who is president, a great number of people will not like their policies or their party. If you don't respect the person, at least respect the office they hold.
It is the Hall of Presidents, plural. Not just one person.

UberPlannerMom

How about this- make an aa for the new president but also make a Hamilton aa and have him (done by Lin Manuel Miranda) be the one to talk about each president. That way Disney can say that it's bringing his brilliance and it won't look like its a political statement. I know this would be a change to the structure (by incorporating someone who never succeeded in becoming pres) but it may actually help younger people see hop as something other than a nap location.

Goofyernmost

The title of this thread specifically states "Without getting Political" but yet people are doing just that. :rolleyes:
I'm at a loss, Mom... how does one talk about the Hall of Presidents without getting political. The title itself recognizes that there isn't anyway to avoid it. The subject starts out by basically asking, if so and so, is elected what should they do with HoP. The best way is to perhaps close the thread, in my mind, it just isn't possible to not be political. To say it isn't political then **the only answer is to leave the procedure as it is. Do it the same way no matter what and then it isn't... but, but... I don't like him/her so they should change it. So, let's go with that answer Alex! ;):)
Oh, wait... you need a question don't you. The question is... What should we do to upgrade HoP so it isn't political?**

JohnD

So...

Let's try this...very carefully...please, don't get too political...keep your affiliation and fervor outside the attraction's sake to yourself!

What kinds of scenarios do we potentially see for the Hall of Presidents? Would they revert back to a show where Lincoln is the primary speaker? Would they have a new figure for the attraction and have that figure give a speech? Would it be much like the current incarnation?

It's true that we have some further historical candidates up for the spot...(first female, first Jewish, oldest elected, first orange, probably the first billionaire...etc.)

So...would they take that road and have them speak with their first-ness being of primary reason for some kind of stirring speech or revert back to older scripts or formats?

And just for kicks...sans getting into political debate (it'd be a party foul!): who would be the most fun to see up there? What AA figure would be awesome to you?

Let's attempt to keep this somewhat good-natured here...

OK, go!

If they're consistent, they would have the President-elect voice their own AA. If it's Hillary, I could foresee a change in the script to focus on the first woman President. Trump would just be the next President.

Mickey5150

No reason to change what they have been doing because no matter the president there are people who love them and people who hate them. At the end of the day it's about the respect for the office of the president and not the person themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom