Ok, I REALLY do hate Soarin' (No I really do)

Boring queue.....dull film......and came out thinking "was that it?":shrug:

Wouldn't say hate it but probably most over-rated attraction in WDW...all people in our party thought the same....:snore: :snore: :snore:

Jerm

Original Poster
And Soarin' hates you, Jerm.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

“It doesn’t fit in EPCOT”; “I can see the edge of the screen.”; “It gets boring after the forth time.”

I think I’ll just calk this entire post up to recreational ranting… Try again with a real critique.

Did you read my post? I listed a real critique.....

I think your statement fits your own post much better than it does the OP.

Thanks Jmvd20

I don't disagree with what you are saying... except on the transitions.. the scenery is supposed to 'pop' and strike awe in you.. using fades would take away from that.

That I have to disagree with, they could have made the film 10x better IMHO by adding cloud banks that you fly into and then you break out into the new area or some type of transition. They don't really even have any flow to the locations (nit picking time) you are flying from L.A. going North to Disneyland (40 miles South of L.A.) in 2 secs and you go for fast motion film of the freeways to Disneyland at Christmas time?!?!?!? Heck even Stitch attempted for a while to have the time line fit the attraction when they used to have the night and day endings. But the fades are pry my biggest problem with the film.

j

fizzle75

What is with all this hating and flaming lately???? :shrug: :fork:

It's your opinion though, I understand. I like it though, I find myself at peace during that ride...it's just right for some of us.

I agree. There's just something very peaceful and calming about Soarin'. The mixture of the beautiful scenery, the scents and the wonderful music just makes for a very relaxing and enjoyable experience.

I dare say the difference is that there are alot of people on these boards that live close enough to WDW to visit weekly if not daily and they end up riding these rides ALOT and I can see how you would get bored of them and lose interest over time but alot of us are only able to make it to WDW once or twice a year(if that) and some are only able to go every few years or so and for us the rides don't get that old and usually tend to be just as fresh as the first time we saw them, at least that is my experience so far.

I do think Disney should keep some of the rides and attractions fresh by tweaking them and/or updating them occasionally. For instance change the Soarin' film every five years or so, update the film for Star Tours and add some scenes from ALL of the movies, update the script and stunts for Lights,Motors, Action(so far this is the only attraction that has begun to bore me). Maybe I am asking for too much,I'm sure it would take more money and effort to do this than I realize,but I'm thinkin' Disney could do it.

mickster

I remember reading a statistic that WDW figures on the average guest visiting 1x every 7 years.

I would question that statistic. Where did you read it? And what is the deal with "every 7 years" being so overly used as a statistic in general?? I've always wondered that. But moreso, I've always wondered why people rarely question it. It's one of those "facts" we just blindly accept without wanting to explore a little more deeply. Think about it...

"Disney re-releases each of it's animated features every 7 years"...Not true. It's very easy to look up re-release dates of all the features. They do not fall every 7 years. Yet people have believed this one for years.

"Every year to a human is like 7 years to a dog"...Not true. Ask any vetrinarian.

"Your taste buds change every 7 years"...Not true. Look it up in any human biology text book.

"The average guest visits WDW every 7 years"...If so, then why do they open new attractions much more frequently than that?

Sorry for the rant. We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

PS: I would like to know where you read it though.

Astronaut Jones

Do people actually care that it doesn't exactly fit in The Land Pavilion? I might be wrong but that just sounds like searching for something to whine about. It's just funny to me to think of somebody walking into The Land and getting upset that it lacks uniformity to its theme. It doesn't seem like anything being said justifies hating it either, that word is always thrown around. Do you actually hate it or just not think it's as good as the way it's received?

sabian

I like the attraction. Like some, i have only ridden it once, and after, i thought it was okay. I don't hate it. i look forward to riding it again. BUT, like some, i will not wait 2 hours for that attraction, or any other for that matter. There are two attractions that have lots of promise and waiting, but a short experience. Soarin' is one, kali river rapids is the other. I enjoy both attractions, not love them, but they are a bit too short for the average wait times. It is, i believe a great addition to EPCOT, it is just not one of my favorites. I like it, i will ride it again, i will enjoy it, but it is not one of MY favorites. :wave:

scottnj1966

Wow you really do hate it. You may want to stay clear of that ride so it does not ruin your day.

You are the only person I have seen that hates it.

The only problem I have with it is its a California movie.
I am hoping they switch it to a United States based film.

mickster

Do people actually care that it doesn't exactly fit in The Land Pavilion?

Yes, absolutely!

I might be wrong but that just sounds like searching for something to whine about. It's just funny to me to think of somebody walking into The Land and getting upset that it lacks uniformity to its theme.

Perhaps the average guest wouldn't get upset about it, but over time if Disney continues to get kind of lazy as far as keeping continuity with it's theming, then it will lose one of the very basic things that sets it apart from other parks. Meanwhile, Universal is doing a superb job of keeping continuity with their theming.

Do you actually hate it or just not think it's as good as the way it's received?

What part of the thread title, "Ok, I REALLY do hate Soarin' (No I really do)" was unclear to you?? :hammer:

Jerm

Original Poster
Wow you really do hate it. You may want to stay clear of that ride so it does not ruin your day.

You are the only person I have seen that hates it.

As long as it stays out of my way I will stay out of its:dazzle:

I actually know a lot of people who feel that it is a waste of space, but they are all DL people. I guess it is kinda how when we got HISTA out here 5 years after it had been playing in Epcot we liked it but anyone from Fl hated it.

What part of the thread title, "Ok, I REALLY do hate Soarin' (No I really do)" was unclear to you?? :hammer:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love the fact that we are at 4 pages and people are starting to just post off the thread title not off what I actaully wrote in my post.

J

Astronaut Jones

That wasn't directed to you, I was asking the dude that started this thread. I hate the fact that the internet allows people to be jackasses without any repercussions. From what he wrote, he didn't seem like he hated it as much as he just didn't care for it and didn't see the appeal.

mickster

From what he wrote, he didn't seem like he hated it as much as he just didn't care for it and didn't see the appeal.

Okay, so let's take a look at his post again, shall we?

I saw this thread http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=166881 which really turned out to be a Fastpass hate thread, so I decided to start the thread about my dislike, yes i will even say it HATE of Soarin'...so here goes.

I really do HATE Soarin'! This attraction has a good concept and the first few times I went on the attraction it was ok at best. But when it comes down to it it is a film based attraction and not even that good of one. The film has no fades, no transitions between scenes, and no real overall theme (you are not hang gliding) other then a tour of California. All film attractions have a shelf life of X amount of years before something needs to happen with it, think of all Circle-Vision/simulators/old E.P.C.O.T. Center attractions (any of which I would wait for over Soarin'). Plus adding in the fact you smell things, that they have been doing since Horizons in 1983, people seem to love it.

I have been on it both in DCA and Epcot and while it (kinda) in DCA it sticks out like a Stitch in Tomorrowland in Epcot. They shoe horned it into where ever they could because it went over so well in DCA and they wanted to hop on the bandwagon. Yes I am sure someone could put up some type of argument as to how it fits, but it really doesn't. The queue no matter if fastpass is running or not does not move fast. And last be not least if you are not in the center section front row you do not have a good seat, you are either looking at peoples feet or at the side of the screen.

Sorin' is not a ground breaking attraction by any means. Other then the way you are lifted into the air, and of course much less themeing, it is just Back To The Future upside down with out as much motion. I can understand the first time rider being amazed at it (much like people were with Star Tours or Circle- Vision back in the 50's) but I do not see the draw in riding it more then 2 or 3 times and I would never wait more then 15 maybe 30 (with a first time rider) for it. I know I, as with most of you, are not normal Disney/theme park fans but still I will say it I hate Sorin'!

Let the attack commence,
J

Hmmmmmm....Sounds to me like he hates it. But maybe I'm just reading too much into it. :hammer: :hammer:

That wasn't directed to you, I was asking the dude that started this thread. I hate the fact that the internet allows people to be jackasses without any repercussions. From what he wrote, he didn't seem like he hated it as much as he just didn't care for it and didn't see the appeal.

Agreed. On both points.

Jerm

Original Poster
Hmmmmmm....Sounds to me like he hates it. But maybe I'm just reading too much into it. :hammer: :hammer:

Nope I hate it. ;-)

It is a big pointless attraction that actually took the company a few steps back in terms of attractions (i.e. moving back to film based attractions). This attraction was not always planned as what it became, they wanted it to be a cross between Indy/CTX type attraction and a film based attraction (kinda Spiderman like) which would have pushed a few lines I am sure. But yet due to time and money (thanks Paul) they cut it down to what it is today.

It also has (rumor has it is going to Paris) become the easy fix attraction, lets just slap it into a park to up attendance with no thought of how it will fit. Someone posted that they have the means to change the film out to update it every few years....it has taken over 20 year for almost any film based attraction to be updated, so lets see if that happens.

Is this the worst attraction ever? No.
Do I think people are dumb for liking it? No
Do I point and laugh at people in line for 2+ hours? yes :drevil:
Would I wait for any amount of time for it? No
Would I go on it on my own if it were walk up? No
Do I wish it were changed to a pile of rubble? No.

I guess it does have some good to it, it takes all those people out of line for all the other attractions:)

J

Please remember this is how I feel. I posted this to get how people feel on it, not how people feel about how i feel (which it has started to turn into). If you think I am crazy then post why you think I am and why you love this attraction. So far all that has really come out is you like it not why you like it or what makes you like it.

ravensworth

I say that it really doesn't make sense to wait in line for over 2 hrs when your time / stay is limited to one day in Epcot. I like this ride but I don't really want to wait in line to see California. If Disney added another soarin ride to handle the popularity and even did another film of world attractions then I would definitely wait in line for a fast pass (thought I was going to say stand-by eh?) for this ride. Cheers! :D

The Mom

Premium Member
I would question that statistic. Where did you read it? And what is the deal with "every 7 years" being so overly used as a statistic in general?? I've always wondered that. But moreso, I've always wondered why people rarely question it. It's one of those "facts" we just blindly accept without wanting to explore a little more deeply. Think about it...

"Disney re-releases each of it's animated features every 7 years"...Not true. It's very easy to look up re-release dates of all the features. They do not fall every 7 years. Yet people have believed this one for years.

"Every year to a human is like 7 years to a dog"...Not true. Ask any vetrinarian.

"Your taste buds change every 7 years"...Not true. Look it up in any human biology text book.

"The average guest visits WDW every 7 years"...If so, then why do they open new attractions much more frequently than that?

Sorry for the rant. We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

PS: I would like to know where you read it though.

This isn't a thesis, and she wasn't presenting it (at least as far as most readers are concerned) as a confirmed FACT, just that she recalled reading it somewhere. If she had a cite, she would have presented it.

Her mentioning it was because all of us who visit WDW fansites start to think that we're the AVERAGE guest after a while....and we are not.

The Mom

Premium Member

I think YOU should heed your own words, young man. The fact that you don't like someone else's posting style does NOT give you the right to make a personal attack.

On the other hand, if my posting style keeps resulting in personal attacks, it might be time to think about changing it.

Word to both of you from The Mom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom